Game Discussion: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Witcher series on Netflix

• AllgorhythmAllgorhythm652,917
    Posted on 18 May 17 at 12:46
    According to the following article, http://www.platige.com/en/page/839-The_Witcher_Saga_On_Netfl...:

Netflix is developing and producing a new English language drama series based on The Witcher, the globally popular fantasy saga from Polish writer Andrzej Sapkowski, that has entranced legions of fans worldwide.
    I have sent a suggestion to the Newshounds to write an article to provide more information especially as the series will relate to the game universe. The Witcher book series author, Sapkowski, is serving as a consultant on the Netflix series as he did on the game series. Being an aficionado of both the books and the games (which I play on the PC) I am quite enthusiastic about this development.
  • XorthromauthXorthromauth258,653 258,653 GamerScore
    Posted on 18 May 17 at 13:44
    I guess I'll be cancelling my Hulu subscription.
    "Canada!" - Deadpool
  • Hexa FoxHexa Fox2,098,864
    Posted on 18 January 18 at 08:48
    I have never got around to reading the books. However, this is pretty exciting. I cannot begin to fathom why CD Project Red has decided to retire Geralt and friends. If I am not mistaken I believe they said they were not going to be dwelling in the Witcher universe anymore as well.

I guess it would make sense. I think I would personally feel cheated if they migrated to another Witcher story and it was not directly related to Geralt and friends. You know, one of those situations where you are a new Witcher and the only remnants of Geralt and friends are some old books or gossip.
    The Fox Rocks!
    Posted on 18 January 18 at 16:28
    Hexa Fox said:
    I have never got around to reading the books. However, this is pretty exciting. I cannot begin to fathom why CD Project Red has decided to retire Geralt and friends. If I am not mistaken I believe they said they were not going to be dwelling in the Witcher universe anymore as well.

I guess it would make sense. I think I would personally feel cheated if they migrated to another Witcher story and it was not directly related to Geralt and friends. You know, one of those situations where you are a new Witcher and the only remnants of Geralt and friends are some old books or gossip.
    I strongly recommend the books. Most have been translated into English. Of the novels, only the standalone Season of Storms has not been translated. However, it will be published in English this April. The primary saga consists of five chronologically sequential novels. Perhaps, the best place to start though is with the short story collection The Last Wish. It begins with the short story The Witcher that introduces Geralt and whose plot was the basis for the opening cinematics in the first video game released on Windows & Apple PCs.

The other main collection of short stories is Sword of Destiny. It includes the short story, The Sword of Destiny that introduces us to Ciri. I recommend reading these two main collections first and then reading the five novel saga.

In addition to the two main short story collections, there are a few short stories published in anthologies that include non-Witcher stories. Most of these are not available in English. There is also the stand-alone novel that I mentioned earlier. It is set in the earlier time of the short stories rather than the period covered by the saga.
  • Hexa FoxHexa Fox2,098,864
    Posted on 18 January 18 at 20:23
    Allgorhythm said:
    I strongly recommend the books. Most have been translated into English. Of the novels, only the standalone Season of Storms has not been translated. However, it will be published in English this April. The primary saga consists of five chronologically sequential novels. Perhaps, the best place to start though is with the short story collection The Last Wish. It begins with the short story The Witcher that introduces Geralt and whose plot was the basis for the opening cinematics in the first video game released on Windows & Apple PCs.

The other main collection of short stories is Sword of Destiny. It includes the short story, The Sword of Destiny that introduces us to Ciri. I recommend reading these two main collections first and then reading the five novel saga.

In addition to the two main short story collections, there are a few short stories published in anthologies that include non-Witcher stories. Most of these are not available in English. There is also the stand-alone novel that I mentioned earlier. It is set in the earlier time of the short stories rather than the period covered by the saga.
    Thanks, I will have to mark this thread and keep those in mind. As far as the game goes I love the story. It is definitely one of the top elements that CD Project Red has going for them. I am still bummed out that they are discontinuing Geralt and friends. I understand that legacies get old and have to move on, but I would imagine that this is one that would be an exception. If not for the books at least because of the success of the saga.

They obviously left too many things up to fate in the game.
    *** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
    The Fox Rocks!
    Posted on 19 January 18 at 00:53
    Hexa Fox said:
    They obviously left too many things up to fate in the game.
    If CD Projekt wanted to do a sequel, I don't think plot decisions from a previous game would be a deal breaker. Mass Effect and Deus Ex: Human Revolution come to mind as games that had multiple divergent endings that did not prevent sequels.
  • Posted on 01 March 18 at 07:58
    I second reading the books, they're very good.
    The comics Dark Horse has put out have been really good too
    Posted on 01 March 18 at 16:44
    PurplTreeFrog said:
    I second reading the books, they're very good.
    The comics Dark Horse has put out have been really good too
    +1 I think reading all the books makes playing the video games all the more interesting because you really understand Geralt's world.
  • Posted on 05 March 18 at 20:56
    Has anyone else read this? I found this on a website stating Sapkowski isn't actually involved in the show. This was the quote they used.

"I do not take part in the work on the series. Books are books, games are games, and film adaptations are film adaptations. That’s all I can say at the moment. I have signed a contract under which I am punished if I say something more. ”

I'm still hearing positive things from other sources though. So I'm curious what this means and if anyone else can confirm it for me.
  • MikaszMikasz1,024,034
    Posted on 16 March 18 at 18:04, Edited on 16 March 18 at 18:04 by Mikasz
    Source (PL): https://www.ppe.pl/news/55884/wiedzmin-od-netflix-bez-andrze...

Translating into something a bit more international.

„We wszystkich adaptacjach, czy to pierwszej, czy też ostatniej, nigdy nie angażuję się w jej rozwój. Z mojego punktu widzenia książka jest książką, a adaptacja jest adaptacja. Podobnie jak w dyskusji Kiplinga na temat Wschodu i Zachodu: „Wschód to Wschód, a Zachód to Zachód i nigdy się nie spotkają”. Adaptacja i oryginał nigdy nie będą identyczne. Nigdy. Adaptacja musi być wykonana za pomocą osoby, która się na tym zna. To wszystko co mogę powiedzieć, Netflix zawarł ze mną umowę, w której wyraźnie zostało napisane, że ujawnione przeze mnie informacje dotyczące produkcji będą skutkowały surową karą finansową. Ta sytuacja jest dla mnie dobra, bo nie wiem nic i dlatego nie mogę nic powiedzieć.”

In all adaptations, whether first or the last, I have never engaged myself into its development. From my point of view a book is a book and an adaptaion is an adaptation. Similar to Kipling's discussion regarding East and West: "West is West and East is East and they will never meet". Adaptation and original will never be the same. Never. Adaptation must be created with the help of a person who knows the job. That's all I can say. Netflix closed the deal with me where it was clearly stated that all pieces of information concerning production will result in severe financial punishment. This situation is good for me because I know nothing so I cannot reveal anything."

When asked for help during development:

„Absolutnie. I zawsze tak będzie. Netflix starał się włączyć moją osobiste opinię do produkcji, a moja osobista opinia jest taka, że nie wiem i nigdy nie chciałbym nic wiedzieć o tej produkcji.”

Absolutely (or whatsoever, depending on the context). And it will always remain the same. Netflix tried to include my personal opinion to the production. However, my personal opinion is that I know nothing and I would have never wanted to know anything about this production.

##################

It's quite widely spread here that Sapkowski isn't working on the production and it seems like his style. He is extremely prejudiced against everything which concerns his book and he treats his work as an only true Witcher (which is ok I guess, after all, he is the author). For example, when asked if he saw the game he said that neither him, nor his friends because he prefer to stay in intelligent circle. He is a... not very pleasant guy but I understand his point of view, to a certain extend. We had one Witcher series, filmed at the beginning of this century which was garbage (honestly, don't even waste your time looking for this, ehm, "masterpiece"), then there was first attempt to make a Witcher game which didn't work out. He thought that it's simply impossible and books will always be superior so he sold Witcher copyright laws in 2007 for 35 thousand zlotys (circa 12 500 USD). If I remember correctly, REDs offered him percentage of sales (don't remember how much) but he declined the offer saying that he will never make that much of that game and he prefers cash, it would be more benefitial for him.

And to find it even more interesting, he is an economist. :-)
  • Posted on 28 March 18 at 14:05
    That was an amazing response, thanks so much! Like, wow. Seriously wasn't expecting the detail. It also helps me understand the series a bit more since I was completely unaware of the "West is West and East is East" deal that Sapkowski has with the other two companies. I'm honestly not a fan of Netflix Originals and their writing, but RED did well, so there's always hope. Good to at least know what to expect.
  • VoxCalibreVoxCalibre735,855
    Posted on 29 March 18 at 08:11
    I love the games and the books, I'm a huge fan. However I always get a nervous twitch when it comes to adaptations on TV or film. I've been hurt too many times by bad cash-ins. Uwe Boll alone has done irreparable damage to my excitement for tv/films based on games I enjoy. However, adaptations of books are often great such as Game of Thrones.

So, I guess it will all depend on which way they go about it. But I'm not going to get myself too excited just yet.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads