Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Three Steins;Gate Titles Are Now Backwards Compatible

• AllgorhythmAllgorhythm512,314
    Posted on 24 May 17 at 23:43
    SnipedByAGir1 said:
    Ugh I am trying to follow Sangriaz's guide from xbox 360a for Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling. I for the life of me can not figure it out. Right from the get go it seems like playthrough 1 instructions are not correct. If anyone can help me out please PM me.
    It looked like you were doing pretty well. I'll send you a PM.
  • Jasecw2Jasecw2381,145
    Posted on 24 May 17 at 23:51
    same here I got 30 of the 50 but can't unlock anymore will try Luka walkthrough tomorrow then will give up and back to actual games
  • Oriole2682Oriole26823,215,440
    Posted on 25 May 17 at 00:00
    There is a place in the menu you can look and get an idea where you are missing stuff, just think of it as you have a cellphone and have to read all the texts, reading certain texts will take you to other txts.
  • Kikoo123Kikoo123484,210
    Posted on 25 May 17 at 07:54
    hey guys I have a problem, so I managed to create a Japanese account, put a 5000 yen code on it but for what ever reason you can't use microsoft currency to buy 360 games on pc so I turned on my 360 downloaded the Japanese profile went to the store and searched up the dlc and when I press "Confirm Purchase" it says "This game's region does not match this console. It won't be downloaded, and you have not been charged". Any ideas to get around this? All I want to do is buy the dlc and play it on xbox one for the achievements
  • Kikoo123Kikoo123484,210
    Posted on 25 May 17 at 08:07
    btw I've changed my locale to Japan on 360 and it didn't do anything
  • Posted on 25 May 17 at 08:17
    You need Japanese Xbox to download dlc
    Posted on 25 May 17 at 12:13
    Kikoo123 said:
    btw I've changed my locale to Japan on 360 and it didn't do anything
    It's probably an Australian 360. If you have access to a friend with a JP 360--I would imagine there'd be lots of JP 360s in Australia; sign on with your JP region account and make the purchase. Then, when you go to your X1, you should be able to install the JP content.
    Posted on 25 May 17 at 17:48
    As long as you've "purchased" it you should be fine to go on X1 and download it BC...if it won't even let you purchase it then you are stuck buying JP X1 games I guess until you get a JP 360
  • Jasecw2Jasecw2381,145
    Posted on 25 May 17 at 17:55
    so just finished luka's walkthrough after a hour of getting the wrong responses due to a error in the guide on XBA you have to let the sparks die down TWICE (not once) as written in the guide got 38 out of 50. I'm quitting for a few weeks this is not a 1/10 difficulty game I have played visual novels on the ps3 Time Leap was a 1/10 this is atleast a 5.
    Posted on 25 May 17 at 23:13
    Jasecw2 said:
    so just finished luka's walkthrough after a hour of getting the wrong responses due to a error in the guide on XBA you have to let the sparks die down TWICE (not once) as written in the guide got 38 out of 50. I'm quitting for a few weeks this is not a 1/10 difficulty game I have played visual novels on the ps3 Time Leap was a 1/10 this is atleast a 5.
    It's a ridiculously easy visual novel especially when compared to the complexity of the original Steins;Gate. You don't need even need to understand JP but you do have to know the concept behind the game. You have to read all e-mails including opening attachments. E-mails are dated and time stamped so, if you are systematic, you can take all required actions without understanding the text in the e-mails. You have to exhaust options which include ignoring an e-mail or replying with the one or more prompted answers. Finally, there are achievements for certain game mechanics--looking at list clear, manipulating the phones ring tones, wall paper etc.
  • Jasecw2Jasecw2381,145
    Posted on 26 May 17 at 00:11
    It might be easy compared to the first Steins Gate game (never played it) however in terms of being a 1/10 as stated on XBA it is not. The guide on XBA has a few errors in it and is not clear and while just clicking all the links in the texts will get you most achievements if you do them out of order you will be replaying the game over and over. a 1/10 should mean I will get all achievments without any effort that is not true with this game.
    Posted on 26 May 17 at 00:40, Edited on 26 May 17 at 00:40 by Allgorhythm
    Jasecw2 said:
    It might be easy compared to the first Steins Gate game (never played it) however in terms of being a 1/10 as stated on XBA it is not. The guide on XBA has a few errors in it and is not clear and while just clicking all the links in the texts will get you most achievements if you do them out of order you will be replaying the game over and over. a 1/10 should mean I will get all achievments without any effort that is not true with this game.
    I don't know about the guide. It sounds like there may be a couple of errors in it. If errors in the guide are misleading you, that should not be a factor in assessing the ease or difficulty of the game. I've played about a hundred visual novels on various platforms. This is in the top five in terms of ease. I consider Steins;Gate to be the best visual novel on the XBox. I consider Steins;Gate: Hiyoku-Renri no Darling to be a piece of fluff thrown together to capitalize on the primary game. It just uses characters from the primary game and has nothing to do with the Steins;Gate story. It seems more like a mediocre DLC rather than a game in its own right. Just my opinion.
    Posted on 26 May 17 at 01:19
    I have to agree with Jase I found all visual novels very easy but I almost gave up on this nonsense, though it might have been because I didn't play HR no D first. Still these are much harder than any of the other VN's as far as non-japanese speaking gamers go.
    Posted on 26 May 17 at 02:15, Edited on 26 May 17 at 02:23 by Allgorhythm
    I occasionally go to xboxachievements.com. As far as I can tell, the game's difficulty is based on the complexity or simplicity of the game and not whether one can complete the game by playing the guide instead of the game. It looks to be very unscientific (and the opinion of one person--the writer of the guide) so it seems an exercise in futility to argue whether a rating should be a 1/10, 2/10, etc.

TA's assessment, in contrast, has some scientific basis in terms of the TA ratio. Steins;Gate: Hiyoku-Renri no Darling has a TA ratio of 1.1 and about three quarters of the people who have played it have completed it. That indicates it is an easy game. Looking at the leaderboard, a good number of the players are from Japan but less than half. I'm assuming that most of the people outside of Japan are not proficient in Japanese. It seems that even though this is a language game--a visual novel that is supposed to be read--it is so easy that a player can complete it without knowing the language in which it is written.

If we are to judge the ease or difficulty of a language-based game, we should assume the player is at least conversant in the language of the game. Setting that aside, Steins;Gate: Hiyoku-Renri no Darling is so easy that non-JP speakers can get a 100% completion without a guide as long as they understand the game's objectives. In contrast, it would be virtually impossible for a non-JP speaker to 100% complete Steins;Gate without a guide.

Steins;Gate, like most visual novels, has a sophisticated plot with complex decision points that must be understood in order to direct the game. Steins;Gate: Hiyoku-Renri no Darling has no real story to speak of. It uses characters from the primary game but has no relation to the Steins;Gate plot. It is merely idle chit-chat that serves as a framework to present a bunch of messages. So, there is not much of substance even for players who do understand Japanese. The bottom line is Steins;Gate: Hiyoku-Renri no Darling is an easy game but not a very good one. As such, it should get a 1/10 for difficulty and a 1/10 as a rating. smile
  • Jasecw2Jasecw2381,145
    Posted on 26 May 17 at 05:02
    that's your opinion but if your going by stats Time Leap has a 94.85% Completion rate and the telltale games like Walking Dead are around 65% and there are no missable achievements in those
    Posted on 26 May 17 at 15:06, Edited on 26 May 17 at 15:27 by Allgorhythm
    Jasecw2 said:
    that's your opinion but if your going by stats Time Leap has a 94.85% Completion rate and the telltale games like Walking Dead are around 65% and there are no missable achievements in those
    My opinion was in reference to visual novels. Steins;Gate: Hiyoku-Renri no Darling is in the top 5% of visual novels in terms of ease of play and ease of completion. Neither Time Leap nor The Walking Dead Series are visual novels. The former is a dating sim and the latter point and click. I concede the point that dating sims and point and click games tend to be easier than visual novels.

That's my short answer. Here's the long one. smile

Time Leap is not a visual novel although it is listed as such on the TA site. In Japan, the 360 and PS3 versions are marketed as a ren'ai adobenchaageimu (love adventure game) and not as a visual novel. In other words, it is a dating sim. There is no story plot. Instead, there are five scenarios that require very little interaction from the player except to play out each scenario. The original PC game was marketed as an eroge (erotic game) because of adult content that was removed from the console versions.

Similarly, The Walking Dead Series consists of very easy point and click games. Although the developer hypes up the choices the player makes, there is very little decision making involved. In other words, regardless of the choices one makes, the player completes the game. There is some QTE play that requires a little hand & eye coordination. Again, this is not difficult because the game allows players to replay the QTE sequences until they are correctly performed. So, the games in the series are very easy to 100% complete without a guide. I'm not saying this in a derogatory manner because I, personally, enjoy the games and have played most of the games in the series. (I've gotten to the point where I find the games more compelling when played in their entirety rather than in an episodic manner. So, I have not yet played the most recent game in the series).

The TA ratios reflect the ease of the games. Time Leap has a TA ratio of 1.018. Games don't come much easier than that. You just spam the cn_A button for the prologue and the first scenario. Then you do the other scenarios by going through the different combination of choices. Since there are fewer than a dozen choices in a playthrough, the game is so simple that even a Geico ad agent can complete it. The games in the The Walking Dead Series tend to be in the 1.3 TA ratio range but that's simply because many people abandon the games before getting all the episodes. The TA ratios of each of the base games are just over 1.0 so these are equivalent in ease to Time Leap.

Visual novels are more difficult than dating sims and most, if not all, point & click games. A true visual novel like Steins;Gate is quite difficult to complete without a guide. The first time I played, I used Famitsu's Official guide and also referred to a JP Steinswiki site. It took me a couple of months to complete.

Playing with a guide, I found it more difficult than this month's TA playlist game Darksiders that I am playing on the highest difficulty without a guide. Darksiders has a TA ratio of 1.6. Since some of the difficulty I experienced with Steins;Gate was the language barrier in playing the game and using guides in a language that was not my native language, I feel the two games are probably equivalent in terms of difficulty. Because players can fast forward through visual novels and cannot fast forward through games like Darksiders, the TA ratios for the VNs are skewed downwards.

Xboxachievements.com gave Darksiders a 4/10 difficulty rating. Admittedly, their system is very subjective. However, I think that's a fairly accurate difficulty rating for Steins;Gate and most visual novels. If Steins;Gate deserves a 4/10 difficulty rating, then it should follow that Steins;Gate: Hiyoku-Renri no Darling which is an order of magnitude easier than Steins;Gate should get a 1/10 difficulty rating. The bottom line is, subjective and unscientific though it may be, the xboxachievement.com rating of 1/10 for Steins;Gate: Hiyoku-Renri no Darling is, at least, in the ballpark. This was the original question. I am a TA person not an xboxachievements.com person. I feel no urge to defend XBA for its own sake. I am merely responding to the original issue of whether or not a 1/10 rating properly reflected the game's difficulty. It does.

As a final point and at the risk of contradicting myself, I don't consider Steins;Gate: Hiyoku-Renri no Darling to be a true visual novel either. It's just a series of humorous phone messages that don't form a cohesive plot. However, in Japan, the game was marketed as a visual novel. It was called a Soutei kagaku tagen adobenchaa bijuaru-noberu or Science Fiction Multiple Branching Adventure Visual Novel. It was part of the publishers' (5pb. and Nitroplus) Science Adventure Series of visual novels that included the Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate, Robotics;Notes, & Chaos;Child series.

In my view, though, some of the spin-offs of those series are not true visual novels. Whereas I was heavily dependent on guides playing Steins;Gate and, even though I bought Famitsu's Steins;Gate: Hiyoku-Renri no Darling official guide book when I bought the game, I didn't use it the first time I played the game. It turned out that reading the guide was more difficult than playing the game. facepalm
  • Jasecw2Jasecw2381,145
    Posted on 26 May 17 at 15:24, Edited on 26 May 17 at 15:27 by Jasecw2
    I didn't bother to read all of your reply I stopped at Time Leap isn't a Visual Novel. My complaint about it being listed as a 1/10 which for whatever reason you wish to argue about is to warn other non Japanese speaking players (you know the one's in this thread) that spent more money that I importing all three expecting a quick and easy completion are going to be in for a suprise as if you miss 1 message or reply wrong your going to be very frustrated. I have played many Visual Novels imported on ps3 (dunamis 15 being the best) and this is the only time I've ever had any trouble 100% one though apparently you don't consider this a true Visual Novel either
    Posted on 26 May 17 at 15:47, Edited on 26 May 17 at 15:50 by Allgorhythm
    Jasecw2 said:
    I didn't bother to read all of your reply I stopped at Time Leap isn't a Visual Novel. My complaint about it being listed as a 1/10 which for whatever reason you wish to argue about is to warn other non Japanese speaking players (you know the one's in this thread) that spent more money that I importing all three expecting a quick and easy completion are going to be in for a suprise as if you miss 1 message or reply wrong your going to be very frustrated. I have played many Visual Novels imported on ps3 (dunamis 15 being the best) and this is the only time I've ever had any trouble 100% one though apparently you don't consider this a true Visual Novel either
    We agree on something. I, too, found Dunamis 15 to be great and have enjoyed it on the PS3, the 360, and the PSP. I also enjoyed the sequel on both the PS3 & the 360.

Certainly, your point about the guide is valid. Non-JP players should be warned. However, the warning should be about the guide and not about the game's difficulty (IMHO).

I'm currently helping someone with Steins;Gate: Hiyoku-Renri no Darling who was using the XBA guide. Although I am not certain because I only took a cursory look, the guide does appear to contain errors. I think it causes you to skip over a key message--the one dated 8/6 and time-stamped 12:57. If you skip over this message, there are some serious ramifications because it is an early message and must be treated differently in different playthroughs. My main point was, if a guide misled you, that should not be a factor in judging the difficulty of the game.

The irony is, even without speaking Japanese, you would probably find it easier completing the game without a guide rather than using a faulty one. The reason is, apart from the ring tone, wallpaper, etc. achievements, You can go by the message time stamps & go thru the necessary combinations & permutations without understanding what the messages say. In other words, you play it very much like Time Leap except there are more choices involved.
  • Jasecw2Jasecw2381,145
    Posted on 26 May 17 at 18:36, Edited on 26 May 17 at 18:38 by Jasecw2
    That's where we disagree you say this is one of the top 5% easiest VN's that you played and can easily be completed without a guide. I disagree with that statement there are many different choices the player has to make such as Skip Message entirely, open message but don't reply or reply with one of two or three choices the fact that you are helping someone who is having trouble kinda proves for the non speaking Japanese players this is not going to be a 1/10 for difficulty. I have no interest in arguing the difficulty. You can read many posts over on XBA and on ps3Imports about it being a tough game for non Japanese to complete. The fact that is was easy for you does not mean every single player will breeze right through it. Since it was so easy maybe you can answer a few questions since the Guide on XBA is unclear because it mentions savng and loading slots and I have Quick save enabled so I have like 68 quick saves and only 1 Manual save file what should I do. Should I just keep starting a new game or load from a specific quick save?
    Posted on 27 May 17 at 02:32, Edited on 27 May 17 at 03:39 by Allgorhythm
    Jasecw2 said:
    Since it was so easy maybe you can answer a few questions since the Guide on XBA is unclear because it mentions savng and loading slots and I have Quick save enabled so I have like 68 quick saves and only 1 Manual save file what should I do. Should I just keep starting a new game or load from a specific quick save?
    I'll be happy to help. I still have the game. I just took a look at your game and the achievements you're missing. I don't think you missed much--maybe one or two mails. Possibly, the mail I mentioned earlier. I'm prepared to play the game on a new GamerTag, follow the guide on XBA, and try to figure out where the problem lies. I'll send you a PM.

With regard to the saves, the most important thing is to have a current system file. If you do, then the game has a good record of all the e-mails you've read. I've got an idea of something you can do. I'll lay it out in a PM. It may not work because I know very little of your game but I think there's a good possibility it will work.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.