Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Xbox Game Pass Starts Today for Gold Members

• KY PRO 2008KY PRO 2008913,609
    Posted on 24 May 17 at 17:56Permalink
    the trial is NOT free. i tried to download it n it asked for a credit card. a free trial should be free no strings attached. guess im not getting this game pass cause i never add a credit card to my acct ever
  • True MarvellousTrue Marvellous2,511,583
    Posted on 24 May 17 at 17:58Permalink
    This service is fantastic value i never get why people are so negative about these services.

Sure us hardcore gamers will likely have or have had the majority of these titles but even to us you only have to play about one title a month for it to pay for itself.

Then think about the non hardcore gamers, the people on a budget as lets face it gaming can be an expensive hobby, this is a astounding value for them .

Also this is an extra reason to pick XB over the PS as for a small fee you instantly have a huge library of games from day one to play.

As for the issue of titles dropping out of the list that is a negative but as long as they give people plenty of notice or even if make it that if its currently downloaded you still have access then this shouldnt be a problem.
    Check out True Tube for all the latest Xbox One Indie Games Reviews https://www.youtube.com/user/TrueMarvellous
  • KanchanaburiKanchanaburi1,125,103
    Posted on 24 May 17 at 17:58Permalink
    For a gamer like me, who has completed Bioshock Tril, All Gears games, Payday - there is little need for all the arcade afterthoughts.

However, I am pleased with the 14 day trial. I see 3 on there I will complete within that time!

Lego Batman, Brothers and DMC. Thank you Microsoft!
  • KanchanaburiKanchanaburi1,125,103
    Posted on 24 May 17 at 18:00Permalink
    KY PRO 2008 said:
    the trial is NOT free. i tried to download it n it asked for a credit card. a free trial should be free no strings attached. guess im not getting this game pass cause i never add a credit card to my acct ever
    Every subscription service does this. Netflix, Itunes, Hulu and more... they rely on most people to just 'leave it on' and that is why they offer a free trial. It's a business practise that is quite common. Just remember to turn it off!
  • superniceguysuperniceguy274,211
    Posted on 24 May 17 at 18:01Permalink
    Bioshock is confusing, here it indicates Xbox ONE, but on the console it shows 360 versions, but when go to install asks to pay for it, so then search for xbox one versions and Bioshock 1 and 2 able to install free but Infinite only available as bundle, and not available
  • KnoellKnoell347,683
    Posted on 24 May 17 at 18:07, Edited on 24 May 17 at 18:08 by KnoellPermalink
    Kanchanaburi said:
    KY PRO 2008 said:
    Every subscription service does this. Netflix, Itunes, Hulu and more... they rely on most people to just 'leave it on' and that is why they offer a free trial. It's a business practise that is quite common. Just remember to turn it off!
    This is the type of person that will freak out when they auto renew even though they explicitly tell you it will auto renew and to cancel it if you don't want it.

As for the people complaining about the selection and whatnot. This service is for people who just bought an Xbox and want easy access to a bunch of games, or parents who don't want to buy a $60 game every month. The service isn't for those of us that buy hundreds of games because obviously at that point, we would own and have played most of the games they would put in the collection.

Its actually a pretty solid list too.
  • Posted on 24 May 17 at 18:13Permalink
    This is a game changer if you can unlock achievements
  • Outlawed TornOutlawed Torn1,430,782
    Posted on 24 May 17 at 18:23Permalink
    Anyone see if we can change regions to download other game variants such as Lego Batman (JP) or Saints Row IV Reelected (AU)?
  • BRAN IS HEREBRAN IS HERE303,893
    Posted on 24 May 17 at 18:26Permalink
    Outlawed Torn said:
    Anyone see if we can change regions to download other game variants such as Lego Batman (JP) or Saints Row IV Reelected (AU)?
    Couldn't get it to work
    But I'm gonna put in a Japanese address for bank card and see if that works
    D
  • PauldnbPauldnb837,081
    Posted on 24 May 17 at 18:28Permalink
    Awesome service, not so much for a Gamer who already owns alot. but I see just like Netflix games will be added/ taken away depending on contract with dev /publisher.

I got the service anyway to play the games I dont own, will just let it auto-renew got no issue with that and the Xbox brand itself is amazing.. Phil Spencer doing a great job thinking about the fans and gamers in general.
  • SysRestartSysRestart299,934
    Posted on 24 May 17 at 18:33Permalink
    I will reserve judgement til a later date. To me the list is lackluster, but hopefully after a few months we will see newer more recent games.

When Netflix first started they didn't have newest movies or TV shows, but over time it improved and I feel the game pass service will do the same thing.
  • Posted on 24 May 17 at 18:37Permalink
    A lot of the games were part of the BC sale or were given away for GWG so I can see why a lot of people are complaining. I for one am ECSTATIC to be able to finally play SoulCalibur without having to pay the inflated price they charge for it. That one has never gone on sale and I refuse to pay full price for a stripped-down version of the superior Dreamcast copy I still own.
    This space for rent.
  • Posted on 24 May 17 at 18:39, Edited on 24 May 17 at 18:39 by Hairy CabbagePermalink
    I cant understand all of the people crying about the game selection here... This is insanely well priced for what you get, and i imagine the library will only increase from here on out.

If i take even just a single game that i purchased recently (shantae ATPC), it took only a few days to complete and i paid more than the price of a 1 month pass for it... If i didnt already own that game now, i would 100% rather buy this pass and to play it and still have time to play other games over buying a personal copy. The same can be said for a lot of the games on the list tbh...

KY PRO 2008 said:
    You must be new to the internet and how free trials generally work...
  • Posted on 24 May 17 at 18:41Permalink
    Theres maybe 4/5 games that take my fancy. the rest I own or am not bothered by. For that price though I may get a month or so.
  • Posted on 24 May 17 at 18:43Permalink
    K E Double V said:
    I have most of these games in my backlog
    Same here.
    I PLAY TO HAVE FUN!!!! I do tend to play solo most of the time but always willing to play with others if they have time for that of course. TA ROCKS!!
  • TangerineGamerTangerineGamer1,181,012
    Posted on 24 May 17 at 19:04, Edited on 24 May 17 at 19:07 by TangerineGamerPermalink
    Hairy Cabbage said:
    KY PRO 2008 said:
    Thought the same as Cabbage, it's the norm to enter you card details to sign up for something now-a-days. That way if you forget to cancel it you get charged for the month.

This is how it works for XBL Gold, PSN and pretty much everything that starts with a free trial

I think the line up is a decent start, but I can see why others think it isn't. First thing I thought of was "I wonder how many I can 100% in 14 days".
    Even then I could finish what I'd want to play in a month anyway and £8 is cheap for that IMO.
    Yours sincerely, TG
  • ChobChob211,860
    Posted on 24 May 17 at 19:05Permalink
    Just a thought: provided you play all the games you're paying 10cent per month per game, 12cent per game per year. If you play 10% of the games, you're paying €/$1.2 per month per game, €/$12 per game per year. And I see many games there that are worth more than that, the fact are adding in the future will lower these numbers.
  • BarrenecheaBarrenechea124,048
    Posted on 24 May 17 at 19:09Permalink
    A bunch of these I got when I bought Rare Replay. Plus a bunch not on the list.
  • EndxofxTimeEndxofxTime519,719
    Posted on 24 May 17 at 19:17Permalink
    Ill pass.
    DLC not being include doesn't make this any cheaper than buying the games outright when going for completion.

I can see that this would be a good deal for someone who wanted to game jump around and spend a maximum of three or four days on a game.
    It really wouldn't be much different than back in the day renting from blockbuster all the time. add to that the ability to purchase at a discount.
  • Goggs25Goggs251,186,009
    Posted on 24 May 17 at 19:19, Edited on 24 May 17 at 19:20 by Goggs25Permalink
    TangerineGamer said:
    Hairy Cabbage said:
    KY PRO 2008 said:
    Thought the same as Cabbage, it's the norm to enter you card details to sign up for something now-a-days. That way if you forget to cancel it you get charged for the month.

This is how it works for XBL Gold, PSN and pretty much everything that starts with a free trial

I think the line up is a decent start, but I can see why others think it isn't. First thing I thought of was "I wonder how many I can 100% in 14 days".
    Even then I could finish what I'd want to play in a month anyway and £8 is cheap for that IMO.
    Not with everything you can play free trials of games with no credit card required I don't see why they can't give us 14 days free without adding credit card details after all EA Ea access service free for a week with no credit card needed so why can't MS offer the same.

Anyone knows if you can use gift cards to pay monthly or is it just credit cards
    Goggs25
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.