Game Discussion: Friday the 13th: The Game Forum

Friday the 13th: The Game Multi-Genre Discussion

AuthorMessage
Information Posted on 28 May 17 at 06:54
Please use this thread to discuss this game's classification under the multi-genre system.

If you disagree with the current genres, please click the "Add genre disagreement" button below.
Brando83
Brando83
Posted on 29 May 17 at 04:56
Survival Horror first and foremost.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 30 May 17 at 17:01
Survival Horror I'm sure!
Vitiated1
Vitiated1
Posted on 05 June 17 at 22:26
Not at all survival horror. Action fits the best, seeing as how it's a entirely multiplayer game that relies on finding things and escaping or killing enemies, dependent on your role. There is no resource conservation, no puzzles, and no elements reminiscent of any other game in the genre. While playing as Jason, there's no objective other than "kill everyone" as you play as an overpowered monster. This is Evolve with a different skin and not a proper survival horror game.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 07 June 17 at 00:44
Escape, hide, collect resources for your survival in confrontation and try to escape a serial killer, is not survival horror, what is it then?
There are mini-games yes, when you will repair the car, the boat and the electricity.
There is no need to store resources, as their goal is to escape or hide from evil.
Being the Jason is the biggest sense of this horror, embodying the beast and even being an overpowered monster, you may die.
It's pure survival horror!
Vitiated1
Vitiated1
Posted on 07 June 17 at 01:16
Silent Hill 2 is pure survival horror, this is an Action multiplayer game. How can you get a sense of fear and isolation if you have 6 teammates with you? The "puzzles" are just QTE's, I don't qualify those at all.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 07 June 17 at 02:05
Not always you have 6 teammates in the same match, and even when there are 7, the maps have a considerable size, which in a way dilute the feeling of company. There is also the option of private match, in which you can choose the amount of Players you want.
QTE's can become time consuming, bringing the risk of death if you use a Counselor with low intelligence.
I agree with the element of action, but the essence and atmosphere is survival horror.
Vitiated1
Vitiated1
Posted on 10 June 17 at 01:02
Not sure about the Sandbox addition, since that's typically defined as being able to explore a large area and doing quests while putting a main story on hold. This game doesn't have a large area or a story, I honestly can only see this justified as an Action title and nothing more.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 10 June 17 at 01:17
It's action, yes! It's survival, yes! It's horror, yes!
For me and some, for the media, for production, the best genre to classify it is Survival Horror, but of course, many can disregard this, not play, have no interest and think that the genre should be another, ok, it does part!
FFX Brotherhood
Posted on 10 June 17 at 15:58
Definitely not Sandbox. Action definitely.
I do like it when the red stuff comes out.
Dang3R Gaming
Dang3R Gaming
Posted on 16 June 17 at 12:50
And now this has been added to stealth? Lol really.
Vitiated1
Vitiated1
Posted on 16 June 17 at 14:14
Unsure why AP deleted his posts, but he was sharing my sentiments. This isn't a SH game and neither is Dead By Daylight.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 16 June 17 at 16:23
Stealth and Survival Horror, fit perfectly in this game! I fully agree, even because I'm playing and I can attest to the existence of these elements!
The genre has expanded a lot in the world of games, exploring, with each game, a new type of terror to be analyzed.
Dang3R Gaming
Dang3R Gaming
Posted on 16 June 17 at 18:25
Survival horror doesn't fit by General definition on the site, and I don't see a game where the only mechanic is purely hiding under a bed etc from Jason is really enough to make it stealth. It has barely any stealth mechanics, yet this gets in when other games that have far more emphasis on the mechanics and the amount of them don't get in.
Sabin VI
Sabin VI
Posted on 17 June 17 at 06:51, Edited on 17 June 17 at 11:44 by Sabin VI
I love how People who never played this Game argue about it's Genre just because they care so much about their precious Leaderboards uuuuhh i don't wanna do this game so make sure it get's a Genre that i'm not going for cause TA Leaderboards is all that matters !!!!!111111

Ta's Definition of SUHO

Survival Horror games see the player placed into a horror-themed environment usually with graphic violence and/or a frightening atmosphere. Check

While enemies can usually be confronted with combat the player is given limited assets such as ammunition, health or the ability to heal, speed and vision. Check

Progress is usually stalled through the use of locked paths and/or puzzles that need to be solved or have specific items collected before being allowed to continue. Check

IMHO this Game is more Survival Horror than half the Games on the Genre List Hell even more than any Resident Evil after 2004 (except 7) but I don't see you guys bitchin about the easy / quick Completions.

Dang3R Gaming said:
Survival horror doesn't fit by General definition on the site, and I don't see a game where the only mechanic is purely hiding under a bed etc from Jason is really enough to make it stealth. It has barely any stealth mechanics, yet this gets in when other games that have far more emphasis on the mechanics and the amount of them don't get in.
you clearly never played this Game.. Stealth is a HUGE aspect of this Game especially if you're a Solo Player or if you have Shitty Teammates. Stealth isn't just hiding under a Bed which believe it or not get's you killed 90% of the time if the Jason player knows what he's doing.. you can actually sneak in this Game and there is a Stat called "Stealth" and the higher it is the Harder is it for the Jason Player to detect you unless you're Sprinting across the map instead of walking Slowly / Sneaking. Honestly this Game fits the Genre 10 times more than any of the Assassins Creed Games IMHo this isn't a game were detection make you fail a Bonus Objective or having a couple easy to kill guards follow your ass... this is a Game were Detection can get you killed and if you carry a vital Item it can screw up the whole escape for pretty much everybody else...

Stealth games task the player with attempting to manoeuvre through an environment unseen and unheard by enemies. check

Detection will usually come at a cost, resulting in either combat, firefights, or other unfavourable circumstances. check

In the event of combat or a firefight the player is at a distinct disadvantage as you are much weaker than your enemies when fighting face to face. check

As such, the player will generally be rewarded for sticking to a more stealthy style of play and utilising any hiding and escape mechanics the game provides. check

Multiplayer or not this Game fits both Genres. But you guys are in Luck you can boost all the Achievements in Private Matches but it is a bit of a grind though... in the end I'm playing this Game because it's a fun Experience regardless of it's Genre.. so i don't really care what Genre this Game has i just wanted to add my 2 Cents.
Dang3R Gaming
Dang3R Gaming
Posted on 17 June 17 at 09:56
Considering this game is practically an exact clone of a game I have played on PC, I think I can have an opinion on the matter funnily enough. The problem with the point above about stealth, is they are now looking at changing the definition again, so two of those checks of yours wouldn't apply if they're making the changes they're speaking about.
Vitiated1
Vitiated1
Posted on 17 June 17 at 14:21
If it was up to me, there would be another genre set aside for horror themed games and another one for survival horror. I don't think that the majority of the games on there now fit it at all, and I would take off even the "quick and easy" completions like Narcosis. When the initial voting came around I didn't even check off surhor on RE4/5/6 because they don't fit the actual genre, not the TA genre that isn't entirely accurate to begin with.
Sabin VI
Sabin VI
Posted on 17 June 17 at 14:36
you both do have a point there.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.