TA Playlist Forum

Messageboard for all things TA Playlist

Sunset Overdrive Discussion - Spoilers

AuthorMessage
N0T PENNYS B0AT
TrueAchievements Editorial ManagerTrueAchievements News Assistant Manager9,640 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 13:41
Posted on 01 June 17 at 04:45
Use this thread to touch on anything to do with the game without restrictions. Assume all readers here are okay with spoilers of any sort as they relate to Sunset Overdrive. Don't forget to share your character!
HawkeyeBarry20
81,510 TrueAchievement Points185 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 12:31
Posted on 01 June 17 at 14:23
After I finished everything I changed my set up so I have the announcer talk about how awesome I am all game long. Makes the game even better.
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 01 June 17 at 15:58, Edited on 01 June 17 at 16:10 by HawkeyeBarry20
The best Xbox exclusive game for the xbone. The movement is so fluid and easy to get a handle of. I rarely use the fast travel locations bc I enjoyed traveling and killing badguys. I also loved the dash in this game, you can use it with each independent action and when you chain them together you can get where you need to pretty quick.

The characters are wild and goofy. The LARP group was my favorite. My favorite quest was making the sword which was like the chaoseater X10. It was so powerful I just had fun destroying OD with it. Can't remember if you made the sword for the LARP group or gave to your chick to try and impress her.

The soundtrack added to the feel of the game. The only glitch I did run into was randomly the music would stop and the enemies would stop showing up. I would literally have the map to myself. I would have to replay a quest or challenge and then exit and my game would be fixed.

There are a ton of challenges which I probably would of liked that cut down a bit but most of them were not too difficult. The most difficult were Buck's challenges and some of the weapon challenges. If you had the weapon for the challenge it was easy bc you could level it up, but if you didn't have the weapon then it's tougher bc the level is 1.

The weapons are extremely fun and once you get the right badges (whatever they're called) you can become a beast. I had an upgraded the hairspray bomb (I think this was my weapon of choice) with the badge that gave you a very high chance of you getting ammo back for this weapon. In MP I just spammed this weapon and never ran out of ammo. I can beat the final mission of the easiest two levels by myself, which I had to do sometimes bc of the wonderful MP set up.

There were a bunch of collectibles but you could buy maps that showed their location so I never felt like it was a pain to find them. I enjoyed exploring the game to find them so I could have even used more.

The one bad thing, and it is awful, is the MP mode. You could wait for ten minutes not get a match and time out, immediately try again and get in one instantly. If you got in one you could also run into the problem of finding a good team, completing some missions but having the game boot you out. There are four maps but 95% of the time you play the same two MP maps, so finding the other two is tough and they are the tougher maps and cannot be completed by yourself. So unless you create your own squad you have to get lucky enough to get a tougher level and a team that can handle it, took me forever.This is the reason I have not purchased the DLC. I'm not messing around with DLC MP.

Last gripe, if you get a team in MP at all be thankful and I know you shouldn't be upset but you'll get two types of people on your team. People who have finished the game, good weapons, know how to deploy traps and are an asset to the team or someone that has no idea what they're doing. I guess this could be said for any MP game but after waiting so long to actually get into a game and then you hear your teammate ask how to dash it kills you on the inside. As fun as the MP mode could be at times it worked so poorly it would have been better to not implement the mode at all.
I8ITackyticsI8I
362,169 TrueAchievement Points1,723 posts
Last post: 21 Jun at 10:50
Posted on 02 June 17 at 12:51, Edited on 02 June 17 at 13:02 by I8ITackyticsI8I
Multiplayer is fine but you have to boost it to ensure you have competent people playing for the achievements. Buying the DLC is worth it because there's more single player action too and arguably it's even funnier than the main game. My favourite moment is in the Machines DLC. This game was a breath of fresh air.

I actually didn't buy all of the collectable maps until after doing the DLC because I bought the shocker gun for 100,000 overdrive which puts a spanner in the works if you only have the main game. The DLC also gives you more opportunity to level your weapons for the level 5 achievements. Between this and the online, and a little bit of free roam madness, this achievement isn't so bad and no need to grind on the same level..

The only problem I had was boosting the MP in the Mooil Rig DLC - the game kept freezing. Not sure why, but I rejoined to finish it and the achievement popped..

Oh, and my favourite mission is the Bard.
togethawiistand
149 completed games(Includes owned DLC)102 solutions595 posts
Last post: 22 Jun at 01:06
Posted on 02 June 17 at 13:10
I really wanted to play along with the community this month, but as far as I remember, there's no New Game in this game. Or has it changed?
After finishing a mission (and also the game) you had the option to replay it one by one, but it's not the same thing, specially cuz you'd have to know their order and manually select them, 1 after another - and that's no fun.

Thought about buying the DLC, which I haven't played yet, but I haven't made my mind yet. This game is awesome though and I really enjoyed exploring its wonderful setting.
To do or not to do. THAT is the question.
Ereaser NL
Ereaser NL
274,358 TrueAchievement PointsTrueAchievement Ratio: 1.86311,084 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 07:58
Posted on 02 June 17 at 13:16
togethawiistand said:
I really wanted to play along with the community this month, but as far as I remember, there's no New Game in this game. Or has it changed?
After finishing a mission (and also the game) you had the option to replay it one by one, but it's not the same thing, specially cuz you'd have to know their order and manually select them, 1 after another - and that's no fun.

Thought about buying the DLC, which I haven't played yet, but I haven't made my mind yet. This game is awesome though and I really enjoyed exploring its wonderful setting.
That's right. You sadly have to remove your save.

I got the DLC's when it was on sale. The Moon Oil Rig one was great, but I wasn't a fan of the Robots one.

I love the great humor in this game and the funny references :D
N0T PENNYS B0AT
TrueAchievements Editorial ManagerTrueAchievements News Assistant Manager9,640 posts
Posted on 02 June 17 at 13:21
You could just look up a guide and replay the missions in the correct order.
togethawiistand
Posted on 05 June 17 at 16:56
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
Tried that before. Doesn't feel good, believe me.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 05 June 17 at 18:48
togethawiistand said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
How come? That's what I planned on doing and now you have me worried.
PeriodicRx
PeriodicRx
142,083 TrueAchievement Points110 posts
Last post: 17 Jun at 14:26
Posted on 05 June 17 at 21:36
I really had a blast with this game. I had mentioned earlier in the no spoilers thread that I was apprehensive about all the action, but that turned out to be unfounded. There is a lot going on to be sure, but luckily the actions dont take precise timing, even the aiming tends to be very generous which youll notice when youre asked to shoot things from the sky.

This game is an irreverent mix of Crackdown, Saints Row and Leisure Suit Larry. So much fun to be had around every corner. I love all the pop culture references, and many of them will be unrecognizable as the game ages. Game of Thrones, Star Wars and even Arrested Development are all represented. I laughed out loud several times. Hardcore!!

I also thought the mission to forge the sword was the best, I loved hacking away at the robots at the end and cried a bit when I realized they werent going to let me keep my OP sword. This is what some of the fighting in Darksiders should have felt like.

I loved the customizeable characters, very easy to get your dude to look just the way you want him to by the end of the game.

A couple of gripes, I found missions where I was on a timer to kill certain factions, but sometimes they didnt respawn quickly enough. Especially notable was the proper burial quest where you have to kill scabs above a certain style level, then on top of not respawning quick enough the OD show up to kill the scabs too.

Also found wall running a but maddening, as I will try to select a direction and it seems it always goes the wrong way. Im sure I just cant tell how to do it in a particular direction. I also wish that the majority of swing poles were not directly below power lines, makes it hard to get those swing badges.

Also main story line was too short! I want more! Makes me regret not buying this and supporting the developers. Maybe I will buy DLC if it looks like I can complete the MP. I will definitely look for more from Insomniac.

Achievements are just OK. Working through the story gets you about half which is an ok number. I hope grinding OD kills and weapon levels doesnt get old too quickly. Finding a place with tons of the weak OD would be great for that. They also made side questing a fun endeavor by creating achievements for many of them and also meaningful rewards a quite a few. Im definitely going back and doing all of the available missions now that Im done with the main game.

Great game! 4.5/5
togethawiistand
Posted on 05 June 17 at 23:38
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
togethawiistand said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
It didn't work for me, but hopefully it might for you.

It's been a while but I remember that it didn't feel good manually searching and then selecting each mission from a long list. And doing it that way kind of breaks the narrative. Idk, just wish they had given a NG+ option. Such a simple feature to add, really.

After acquiring and leveling all my weapons and stuff, the last thing I want is to erase my past progress to force a new game option.

Despite this flaw, still a great game.
Eurydace
Eurydace
TrueAchievements Newshound16 walkthroughs owned8,345 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 20:12
Posted on 05 June 17 at 23:51
togethawiistand said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
togethawiistand said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:

It's been a while but I remember that it didn't feel good manually searching and then selecting each mission from a long list. And doing it that way kind of breaks the narrative. Idk, just wish they had given a NG+ option. Such a simple feature to add, really.

After acquiring and leveling all my weapons and stuff, the last thing I want is to erase my past progress to force a new game option.

I'm just using a second account. It has the benefit of tracking achievements won as well.
togethawiistand
Posted on 07 June 17 at 00:06
Eurydace said:
togethawiistand said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
togethawiistand said:
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:

I'm just using a second account. It has the benefit of tracking achievements won as well.
There's an idea! Nice.
BetaSigX20
BetaSigX20
165,565 TrueAchievement PointsAchievement Completion Percentage: 57.10% (Includes owned DLC) - 76 more achievements required to reach 58%240 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 21:08
Posted on 09 June 17 at 14:08
I finished the main story line last night. I was kind of surprised that it was so short, although I've still got a lot of side quests and exploration to do, so I'm far from finished with the game. If I wasn't playing it for the Playlist, I probably would have taken more time in between quests and not rushed headlong to the next objective, so maybe that's why it just seemed short; in most games, I tend to take long detours from the main plot in order to do all the side quests first.

What a fun game, though! I laughed out loud at many of the jokes, and the overall gameplay and combat was just so over-the-top and satisfying. Parts of it were a bit tough, but this wasn't a game that was designed to be challenging -- this was a game that was designed to let your character jump headlong into a swarm of enemies and just blast the crap out of them, and it certainly delivered on that.

The weapons are funny and ridiculous, the characters are hilarious caricatures, and the quests are fantastically fun -- the forging of Excalamune in particular was ridculously epic. Most of all, I love the self-aware meta-humor... I wish I would have started a list of my favorite quotes throughout the game. ("We'll fight, and we'll win! Or, we won't, but we'll get some really cool respawn animations!")

I haven't done any of the multiplayer yet, and I don't know if I will... I'm just not all that big on online multiplayer, and it sounds like these require a lot of teamwork and communication, which isn't ideal for my gaming situation. I do plan to go and mop up as many of the other single-player achievements as I can, though -- collectibles, Hardcore! challenges, etc. -- and I'm really looking forward to that.

I'm normally a "one-and-done" gamer, meaning that once I've played the game once and finished it (or maybe twice, if I had to play through on a higher difficulty for achievements), I'm done... send it back, sell it, delete it from my hard drive, whatever, but I don't feel any need to go back to it. This is one game that I probably won't delete, though... it's fun enough that I'll probably want to keep it around so I can jump back in and play some challenges now again, or just grind through the city mowing down O.D. along the way. I may even shell out the $20.00 for the DLC, so I guess they did their job right! Great game, lots of fun.
xSRYANx
xSRYANx
812,378 TrueAchievement PointsTrueAchievement Ratio: 1.8516472 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 10:04
Posted on 17 June 17 at 00:24
Such a great game. I know June is half over, but for those on the fence - play it! It's an excellent exclusive. The collectables can be a tad grindy, but that's just part of the game wink. The multiplayer is great if you can get a session going where people communicate, but a tough go otherwise.

Microsoft needs to pay devs for more games like this. It's a shame they seem to be backing off real exclusives like this.
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 17 June 17 at 01:58
xSRYANx said:
Microsoft needs to pay devs for more games like this. It's a shame they seem to be backing off real exclusives like this.
I agree, and now Insomniac is making the new Spider-Man game and if it's anything like sunset overdrive traversing the city will be a fun and amazing experience. They also looked like they used the Batman games combat, going to be an awesome game. It should be the sequel to Sunset Overdrive they're working on not Spider-Man angry
Chaos Trance
Chaos Trance
41,169 TrueAchievement Points13 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 21:50
Posted on 17 June 17 at 22:02, Edited on 17 June 17 at 22:02 by Chaos Trance
Just finished the bulk of the main game with only really multiplayer and few random achievments to mop up, i really enjoyed the majority of what this game had to offer even some of the things I find annoying in other games wern't to bad for example the challenges usually I hate having to do gold medal type challenges but at least in sunset they were about two minutes so having to take a few tries wasn't a massive timesuck

The story was silly which I loved and actually was able to take more seriously than Alan Wake and Darksiders which began to grate on me before the end, I enjoyed the fourth wall breaking which wasn't to much to be annoying I think overall with the style of combat and traversal being really fun to play, and the game being aware of how dumb it was at points made this an enjoyable game minus collecting 150 of each collectable and I think I will aim for the completion since I already coughed up for the season pass.

On that note anyone want to run through Chaos Mode and grab those achievements?
mapphew
mapphew
125,580 TrueAchievement Points6 posts
Last post: 22 Jun at 01:19
Posted on 19 June 17 at 17:08
Finished the game a couple of days ago, so now it is time for me to post my thoughts.
Coming into this game I didn't know what to expect, I had seen it but never really peaked my interest, and with the game pass coming out and this being in the library of games, i thought why not try it out. When I first started the game, I was initially struck with the humor that this game had to offer. It reminded me of Borderlands meets Jet Set Radio Future. The Meta humor was great and overall the story was pretty good, we had a very strange assortment of side characters and the main missions were all decent. I loved that when I died, I got a cool respawn animation and that these were mentioned at the end of the game. There were some parts of the game that did irritate me, like Floyd's defense missions, they were repetitive and it made me feel like there could have been more to the original game and the fact that the Fizzco Bots rarely if ever dropped any health. Bit aside from those two issues, I had a good overall experience with the game.

Now onto the achievements, first off, I will say that I am not going to be completing the DLC for this game. That being said I currently have 23 achievements worth 770 Gamerscore and have 1858 TA points, mainly because of the 199g and 1g achievement that came in an update and finding 12 pictures around the city. The achievements is this game are a grind to get (no pun intended) but I am going to try to go back and get the ones from the base game and the free updates.

Verdict: Good game, I hope they make a sequel, but these achievements are going to take a while to get, and I wish the achievements were worth more.
Chaos Trance
Chaos Trance
41,169 TrueAchievement Points13 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 21:50
Posted on 19 June 17 at 20:11
So did my first ever gaming session to try the multiplayer and get the DLC achievements since it's impossible to find games on those maps and my thoughts are while it was enjoyable there was nothing really there other than to vote on a higher chaos score you don't have to play as any sort of team and while the single player is whacky random fun I was hoping the multiplayer would have some level of teamwork required
Eurydace
Eurydace
TrueAchievements Newshound16 walkthroughs owned8,345 posts
Last post: Yesterday at 20:12
Posted on 19 June 17 at 21:09
When they first came out it was tougher. Strategy was required. Nowadays everyone knows the best strategies so it's much easier.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.