Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Dear Overwatch, Please Be a Better Destiny

• EurydaceEurydace652,737
  • DwaggieniteDwaggienite5,309,787
    Posted on 02 June 17 at 12:13, Edited on 02 June 17 at 12:29 by Dwaggienite
    The only thing they need to change is to season-ban the quitters from competitive placement matches. Period. You don't come back? Banned. No excuses.

Oh, and the overpowered Genjis.

And the people who don't get on the points.

And the idiots who troll in a competitive match because they don't get the character they want.

And the fact that there are unobtainable achievements, i.e. lots of gameplay that people can't get to now because they've rotated them out.

In fact? Just shut the whole bloody game down.

And this is coming from an overwatch fan.
  • PangoBaraPangoBara2,783,696
    Posted on 02 June 17 at 12:45
    God... if only Overwatch wasn't so ridiculously boring so fast...

I'll never forgive it for killing off the game that ended up being my favorite of 2016: Battleborn
  • AlahertAlahert2,897,037
    Posted on 02 June 17 at 12:53
    I really loved Destiny and I can't wait for the sequel, while I got bored of Overwatch really fast, even if I had many friends playing it. Overwatch's events are pretty good though!
  • PangoBaraPangoBara2,783,696
    Posted on 02 June 17 at 12:58, Edited on 02 June 17 at 12:58 by PangoBara
    Alahert said:
    I really loved Destiny and I can't wait for the sequel, while I got bored of Overwatch really fast, even if I had many friends playing it. Overwatch's events are pretty good though!
    Except for Winter Wonderland, Year of the Rooster, and Uprising...

Loved the Halloween event though
  • WyyvernWyyvern801,755
    Posted on 02 June 17 at 13:13, Edited on 02 June 17 at 13:20 by Wyyvern
    ImJustYourDaddy said:
    I played during the beta and free play weekend, quit after a few matches both times. Such a dull, minimal content game. How this got GOTY awards I'll never understand.
    Here be dragons.
  • Posted on 02 June 17 at 13:20
    Destiny and Overwatch were really disappointing and not worth the money.

They'll have to change quite a bit before I buy another Overwatch or Destiny. PvE MMO style (for Overwatch) would be a start.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 02 June 17 at 13:21
    I'm just not interested in these hyper twitchy FPSes as I get older. I'll watch a minute of Overwatch gameplay and get motion sickness.
  • Stevo6483Stevo6483378,298
    Posted on 02 June 17 at 13:59
    I don't get the hype around Overwatch either. All I'm seeing is another FPS but with overly colourful cutesy characters. Just not my cup of tea.
    Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas... Whatever!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 02 June 17 at 14:04
    I was bored of Overwatch before just from a free play weekend, and now they have achievements which are rotated out and unobtainable I am keeping well away.
  • Posted on 02 June 17 at 14:07
    Wyyvern said:
    ImJustYourDaddy said:
    I played during the beta and free play weekend, quit after a few matches both times. Such a dull, minimal content game. How this got GOTY awards I'll never understand.
    yeah same idea here,i was expecting doom to be GOTY winner but VGA awards are not credible anymore
  • BAMJEBUSBAMJEBUS351,569
    Posted on 02 June 17 at 14:09
    Overwatch is best
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 02 June 17 at 14:10
    Yep Overwatch totally Over rated. They complained Battlefront had no content. Compared to this it was value for money. A dull game that seem to be the emperors new clothes !
    Too many Irons in the fire !
  • Posted on 02 June 17 at 14:10
    While I agree that Destiny has it's problems, Overwatch will not be able to exceed it in the realm of MMO-esque FPS with it's current state. They would have to rework and redesign so much just to get the visual character differences down, not to mention how perks and rolls would work within the current design.

And then Blizzard would discover Bungie's 2.5 year old problem: how to have balance in a game with waaaaay too many variables. Overwatch already has some balancing issues as it is with character design. Start adding in weapon variants with class perks, and it would turn it into a fluster cluck that even the most diehard fans would drop due to frustration...just like a lot of people in Destiny right now (love that sidearm meta...roll)
    Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness.
  • EurydaceEurydace652,737
    Posted on 02 June 17 at 14:27
    You wouldn't have weapon variants and the like. Or classes for that matter. The characters are already different.

Blizzard has done an exceptionally good job balancing WoW (with 12 classes and like 40 specializations) and Diablo. Bungie may not have gotten it right, but Blizzard certainly knows how. Balance is a nonissue.
  • Posted on 02 June 17 at 14:30
    I knew there would be some angry people in the comments, haha.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 02 June 17 at 14:36, Edited on 02 June 17 at 14:36 by
    Stevo6483 said:
    I don't get the hype around Overwatch either. All I'm seeing is another FPS but with overly colourful cutesy characters. Just not my cup of tea.
    A lot of the hype is from younger people who enjoyed the comics. Every game I've ever been in had at least 2 kids going on about some sort of plot that they read about.

Not sure if I'm just too old to enjoy the humor if I simply play too many games with blood guts and other adult themes to appreciate Overwatch
    I'm always willing to help other players boost achievements even if I already have them. Just ask!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 02 June 17 at 14:37
    So many haters... Destiny and Overwatch are both great games.
  • GHOST INS1DEGHOST INS1DE926,430
    Posted on 02 June 17 at 14:37
    ImJustYourDaddy said:
    I'll never forgive it for killing off the game that ended up being my favorite of 2016: Battleborn
    OW did play it's part at launch, but I'm pretty sure Battleborn helped kill itself off by the myriad of issues (matchmaking, character balance, constant red-bar lag here in Australia etc) that never got fixed OR took months to be addressed. I still visit the forums there and some of the same issues are still being discussed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing on Battleborn - I've 100% the game and spent countless hours on it. But for me, OW ended up as my preferred choice. And those PVE events have been great fun!
  • SashamorningSashamorning2,930,857
    Posted on 02 June 17 at 14:38, Edited on 02 June 17 at 14:42 by Sashamorning
    My #1 reason for not playing Overwatch (except for the free weekend, during which I played one 5-minute match between downloading and uninstalling it) is the total PvP aspect.

I don't like competitive MP. At all. Ever.

For hardcore players of a particular game, they may be able to learn the specific nuances inherent in the game well enough for them to excel... but over time (and it doesn't take long), the hardcore population in the game so completely dominates the casual contingent that casual gamers will stop playing because, face it, losing just isn't fun.

To paraphrase Brad Pitt's Billy Beane in Moneyball: I hate losing. I hate losing even more than I like winning.

Overwatch has intrigued me from the beginning. It may also be the greatest MP experience to grace the consoles since Pong. I just don't like PvP, due to experiences over a very long period of time. Maybe I just suck at PvP (I do), but losing repetitively or relying on teammates to carry me (why should they?) isn't fun. That's why I ended up quitting Titanfall and haven't started Titanfall 2 (even with the PvE component, it's hard for me to get past the first experience).

So yes. Please. PvE. Even if most players avoid the PvE experience altogether (which happens plenty... you can just look at Call of Duty games and see how high the campaign ratios are because people never get to them), it'll bring more casual gamers into the fold...and keep them around.

Maybe they'll even like it so much that they'll play more PvP. Maybe.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads