Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Xbox One X is $499 and Will Retroactively Enhance Games

• Posted on 12 June 17 at 12:53Permalink
    I think it's pretty clear they aren't trying to compete with Sony this gen in terms of sales. They're like 25 million units behind, maybe more, so that ship sailed a long time ago. I think the X is more of a love letter to the existing core Xbox base, and at the same time, they're hoping for some of the more hardcore gamers who value power that were on the fence to make the jump as well. But this is definitely not a console built with the average Joe in mind.

For how much power is packed into this little thing, I honestly think $500 USD is cheap as hell. The price is more than justifiable.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm302,445
    Posted on 12 June 17 at 13:19Permalink
    Throni360 said:
    Way too expensive. They can't compete with the Pro prices and will lose yet again. $399 would be great.
    I have a different take on this. The bottom line of my assessment is that:
    The console that will play the best looking games on a Sony 4K TV will be the Scorpio XBox One X. I think that's a strategic win for XBox.
    You can read the article here:

The XBox One X - A Strategic Win?
  • Posted on 12 June 17 at 14:22Permalink
    Yep, no point in buying this until I have a 4k tv. The LG 55B7 is 3000$ here in Canada. I will wait another year or 2 before jumping to 4k and Xbox One X. By that point they might even announce their next console. And from the list of games announced at e3 and that will get 4k upgrades, only Skyrim, AC, Witcher 3, Battlefront 2 and maybe Anthem interest me.

So yep, back to my 360, S and backlog :D
  • halohogghalohogg97,541
    Posted on 12 June 17 at 14:27Permalink
    JeDiMlnDTrlcks said:
    Yep, no point in buying this until I have a 4k tv. The LG 55B7 is 3000$ here in Canada. I will wait another year or 2 before jumping to 4k and Xbox One X. By that point they might even announce their next console. And from the list of games announced at e3 and that will get 4k upgrades, only Skyrim, AC, Witcher 3, Battlefront 2 and maybe Anthem interest me.

So yep, back to my 360, S and backlog :D
    Agreed - 360 & One backlog.
  • Throni360Throni3601,293,628
    Posted on 12 June 17 at 17:00Permalink
    Allgorhythm said:
    the best looking game
    Lol, what games? There are none. The Xbox One X has no games. All are going to be on PC or other consoles.
  • Vok 250Vok 250209,492
    Posted on 12 June 17 at 17:45Permalink
    Throni360 said:
    Allgorhythm said:
    the best looking game
    Lol, what games? There are none. The Xbox One X has no games. All are going to be on PC or other consoles.
    Exactly. There is no way to justify $650 + tax when my current Xbox One can already play all the same games. With that money I can buy a Switch AND a PS4 and have access to all their exclusives too.
  • KnoellKnoell347,453
    Posted on 12 June 17 at 17:48, Edited on 12 June 17 at 17:53 by KnoellPermalink
    Throni360 said:
    Allgorhythm said:
    the best looking game
    The majority of core gamers will have either a high quality PC or an Xbox One X. Not both. So although you may have a PC and buy the games that come out on Xbox for your awesome PC, others won't. So tired of this "but they come out on PC" nonsense. People choose to play on whatever ecosystem makes them comfortable.

Let alone the more mainstream gamers that are still buying the Xbox One S and don't want either a high end PC or a Xbox One X. They just want to buy the newest Madden or Call of Duty and other fun games they hear about.

Vok 250 said:
    Exactly. There is no way to justify $650 + tax when my current Xbox One can already play all the same games. With that money I can buy a Switch AND a PS4 and have access to all their exclusives too.
    Then obviously the Xbox One X isn't for you. You don't think it is worth it, then great - don't buy it.

I think it will absolutely be worth it. For all the crying about how the Xbox One was weak in power there sure are a lot of people complaining when Microsoft puts out a console that can compete with a decent PC.
    Posted on 12 June 17 at 18:28Permalink
    Knoell said:
    Let alone the more mainstream gamers that are still buying the Xbox One S and don't want either a high end PC or a Xbox One X. They just want to buy the newest Madden or Call of Duty and other fun games they hear about.
    They buy a PS4 because there they actually get games and all their friends already got a PS4. The PS4 outsells the One 3:1 and even 5:1 here in germany.
    Posted on 12 June 17 at 18:28Permalink
    Throni360 said:
    Allgorhythm said:
    the best looking game
    The XBox One X is not here, yet. So, technically, you're right--there are no games. However, over 50 were announced, yesterday. I imagine that, in the beginning, most of the games will be upscaled to 4K and not native. However, future games will be native 4K.

The quote you referenced was about console games. Although there is quite a bit of overlap, the PC and console spaces tend to be well differentiated. Since you brought the topic up, there are relatively few native 4K games on the PC. (When I refer to PCs, I refer to Windows, Apple, and Linux PCs). Now, that there will be a console capable of playing native 4K games, I expect that will result in a greater availability of native 4K games for the PC as well.

Going back to consoles. The quote you refer to was in an article about console strategy. The underlying question was, "Why isn't Sony rolling out a console that can play native 4K games and why did they allow Microsoft to beat them to the punch?"

The XBox One X - A Strategic Win?
  • KnoellKnoell347,453
    Posted on 12 June 17 at 19:20, Edited on 12 June 17 at 19:20 by KnoellPermalink
    Throni360 said:
    Knoell said:
    They buy a PS4 because there they actually get games and all their friends already got a PS4. The PS4 outsells the One 3:1 and even 5:1 here in germany.
    "actually get games" lmao. I have over 230 games installed on my Xbox One right now and 103 of which are Xbox One titles. This doesn't even count the titles I want to buy, but am waiting for discounts or the games that I have bought and haven't even put in my console (I'm looking at you FarCry 4)

But yeah, sure Xbox One has no games bc it doesn't have a few Sony exclusives. roll

Whatever, agree to disagree.
    Posted on 12 June 17 at 20:01Permalink
    Knoell said:
    Xbox One has no games bc it doesn't have a few Sony exclusives.
    Yes. With a PC and PS4 you miss out on ZERO games (except for some blunders like Sunset Overdrive that sold like shit) because MS releases all Xbox games on PC too. Why should I pay $500 for a console that is able to do 4k but has no games? The One didn't sell like shit because it's a bad console but because there is no reason to get one. The 4k player was the only selling point of the S. It's a fact. It's better to get a $500 PC and enjoy all Xbox AND Steam games instead of a small library that is also available on PC and PS4.

No exclusives = no games. It's simple. Exclusives are console sellers. Why should I choose a One over a PS4? The only redeeming qualities are the superior controller and the fact that we all wanted to keep our Gamerscore. And that's a fact. How many are truly happy with their one and the non existing library? Even most indie shit is PS4 and PC only. Crackdown, Halo, Forza, Gears... all Xbox franchises are now on PC. Why buy a $500 console to play PC games? Makes no sense.
  • KnoellKnoell347,453
    Posted on 12 June 17 at 20:35Permalink
    Throni360 said:
    Knoell said:
    Xbox One has no games bc it doesn't have a few Sony exclusives.
    Yes. With a PC and PS4 you miss out on ZERO games (except for some blunders like Sunset Overdrive that sold like shit) because MS releases all Xbox games on PC too. Why should I pay $500 for a console that is able to do 4k but has no games? The One didn't sell like shit because it's a bad console but because there is no reason to get one. The 4k player was the only selling point of the S. It's a fact. It's better to get a $500 PC and enjoy all Xbox AND Steam games instead of a small library that is also available on PC and PS4.

No exclusives = no games. It's simple. Exclusives are console sellers. Why should I choose a One over a PS4? The only redeeming qualities are the superior controller and the fact that we all wanted to keep our Gamerscore. And that's a fact. How many are truly happy with their one and the non existing library? Even most indie shit is PS4 and PC only. Crackdown, Halo, Forza, Gears... all Xbox franchises are now on PC. Why buy a $500 console to play PC games? Makes no sense.
    I've already stated that not every consumer has a PC capable of playing games nor do they care to get one. You just don't listen. If this were the case, why wouldn't a consumer just buy all 3 and miss out on NO games? But no. For some reason in your mind, a consumer can grab a PS4, and a $500 PC (HA!) and be all set, but then getting an Xbox One would be crossing the line! Console overload! roll

Why should you chose an Xbox One over a PS4? I don't know. That is your unique decision. The games that you again simply write off or discount on the Xbox One, I actually like and would miss if I went to Sony.

Microsoft is selling less than Sony bc of a combination of issues including their botched launch message, and higher price point at the start. Sony made the same mistake with the PS3. Microsoft is slowly recovering, but they will likely lag behind Sony for most of this generation. With Phil Spencer at the helm, they have righted the ship and are doing much better. The Xbox One console today is exponentially better than what they released at launch.
  • PILULE 1995PILULE 1995569,124
    Posted on 12 June 17 at 20:38Permalink
    HolyHalfDead said:
    PILULE 1995 said:
    Are you serious..? Cause they dont pay us in american dollar here in canada. The current rate is 1 dollar cad=0.74 US meaning 100 cad would give me 74$ us and the fact when you convert money at the bank here in CAD they keep a bit for themselves (2%) makes it even worst.
    The way currency comparisons work is by using the mid-market rate which is 0.743608 right now. If you start using worse rates and taking commission into account it becomes impossible, since you might pay 2%, but I might pay 0.5% and someone else might pay 5%. Even though you will lose money converting CAD to USD the same applies if you convert USD to CAD.
    youre just wrong quit arguing what cant you understand it's pretty simple that 1 dollar CAD is worth 0.74 US
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead504,709
    Posted on 12 June 17 at 20:46, Edited on 12 June 17 at 21:07 by HolyHalfDeadPermalink
    derechtegraf1 said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    AussieBigfoot said:
    A few regional pricing from xbox.com :
    US = $499 USD + tax
    Canada $650 = $483 USD + tax
    Australia $649 = $445 USD + tax
    Italy €499.99 = $465 USD + tax
    UK £449.99 = $477 USD + tax
    New Zealand $750 = $469 USD + tax.
    Sorry mate, I don't know where you got your exchange rates from, but if I just look at the EUR rate your calculation is wrong.

At today's rate (from XE.com), US$ 499 = EUR 445; EUR 499 = US$ 559

Granted, that will include tax (I believe the US is the only country that has the retarded system of quoting prices that don't include tax) - so all in all it should actually be similar, unless you live in a tax-free state, where the X will be the cheapest.

I don't even care TBH, will probably still get this day 1 though roll
    I use also xe.com. There are other countries that add sales tax to the displayed price because it varies on where you are in the country, such as Canada. So it's not so easy to compare prices inclusive of tax. But let's take a city in California where local tax is 1.5% and Italy where it is 20%.

US = $499 x 1.0875 = $542 USD
    Italy = $466.8 x 1.2000 = $558 USD x 0.892 = €499 EUR

So $542 USD for an X1X in that city in California and $558 anywhere in Italy. However the higher sales tax of Italy provides the public with benefits that those in the US have to pay for, so those in Italy are better off overall.

PILULE 1995 said:
    youre just wrong quit arguing what cant you understand it's pretty simple that 1 dollar CAD is worth 0.74 US
    Not arguing. At some point in time I agreed that 1 CAD = 0.740000 USD but a few seconds later it won't be. Right now 1 CAD is worth 0.750479. I have been trading in Forex for many years so I have a pretty good idea how currency conversion works.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • KnoellKnoell347,453
    Posted on 12 June 17 at 21:04, Edited on 12 June 17 at 21:07 by KnoellPermalink
    HolyHalfDead said:
    derechtegraf1 said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    AussieBigfoot said:
    A few regional pricing from xbox.com :
    US = $499 USD + tax
    Canada $650 = $483 USD + tax
    Australia $649 = $445 USD + tax
    Italy €499.99 = $465 USD + tax
    UK £449.99 = $477 USD + tax
    New Zealand $750 = $469 USD + tax.
    Sorry mate, I don't know where you got your exchange rates from, but if I just look at the EUR rate your calculation is wrong.

At today's rate (from XE.com), US$ 499 = EUR 445; EUR 499 = US$ 559

Granted, that will include tax (I believe the US is the only country that has the retarded system of quoting prices that don't include tax) - so all in all it should actually be similar, unless you live in a tax-free state, where the X will be the cheapest.

I don't even care TBH, will probably still get this day 1 though roll
    I use also xe.com. There are other countries that add sales tax to the displayed price because it varies on where you are in the country, such as Canada. So it's not so easy to compare prices inclusive of tax. But let's take a city in California where local tax is 1.5% and Italy where it is 20%.

US = $499 x 1.0875 = $542 USD
    Italy = $466.8 x 1.2000 = $558 USD x 0.892 = €499 EUR

So $542 USD for an X1X in that city in California and $558 anywhere in Italy. However the higher sales tax of Italy provides the public with benefits that those in the US have to pay for, so those in Italy are better off overall.
    Eh.... I highly doubt there is a sales tax of 1.5% in California. If so then, you aren't including county tax, and maybe state tax. Unless you mean 15%? That doesn't add up to your total either.

In New York for example the sales tax is 4% in Monroe County and 4% state tax for an 8% sales tax total.

So it would be 499.99 for the console plus 39.92 which equals $539.91
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead504,709
    Posted on 12 June 17 at 21:12, Edited on 12 June 17 at 21:24 by HolyHalfDeadPermalink
    Knoell said:
    Eh.... I highly doubt there is a sales tax of 1.5% in California. If so then, you aren't including county tax, and maybe state tax. Unless you mean 15%? That doesn't add up to your total either.

In New York for example the sales tax is 4% in Monroe County and 4% state tax for an 8% sales tax total.

So it would be 499.99 for the console plus 39.92 which equals $539.91
    I didn't say it was the sales tax. 1.5% was an average local tax (not state tax) for a city in California. It can be as high as 2.5%. I was adding that to the state tax of California of 7.25%, to get my 1.0875. It does illustrate how comparing prices inclusive of tax that not only varies by state but also by county just isn't practical. Then we have states like Delaware (where I buy all my goods) who have a 0% state tax and a 0% local tax, so $499 USD + tax = $499 USD.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
    Posted on 12 June 17 at 21:55Permalink
    Knoell said:
    For some reason in your mind, a consumer can grab a PS4, and a $500 PC (HA!) and be all set, but then getting an Xbox One would be crossing the line! Console overload! roll
    The reason is called "Play anywhere". Alle future Xbox games are also released on PC. That's two platforms which makes it not exclusive anymore. It doesn't matter whether someone likes PC or Xbox better. It's stupid to list a bunch of PC games as a reason to buy a Xbox.

WHAT benefit does Xbox + PC bring? Play anywhere is a joke and has no real life relevance.
    Posted on 12 June 17 at 23:25Permalink
    HolyHalfDead said:
    Then we have states like Delaware (where I buy all my goods) who have a 0% state tax and a 0% local tax, so $499 USD + tax = $499 USD.
    And Oregon.
  • Dakrkplayer2Dakrkplayer2830,947
    Posted on 13 June 17 at 01:09Permalink
    I going get it. But I will see for good pre-order deal before I click buy. And there one comes with games or at less XBOX ONE X achievement. I will get it from there. And then I will wait until 11-7-2017 to hook it up mu current 4KTV. Or by chance. My newer 4KTV with HDR. But my brother said I should wait for the HDR able 4KTV. Until they fix the bugs from XBOX ONE X. I think that might be good idea. The price did not surprised me at all. I have some idea this would cost $500. It cheep for what it going to do compare to a PC. And before you start with me with PLAYSTATION 4 PRO. That not even can handle 4K@60. So it just a poor man's 4K console. And if you want good 4K console. Then sorry to say it. You need to get XBOX ONE X. Because it have enough power to do 4K right. If PS4P had 6 teraflops and have 12GB RAM. Then you would have a point. It not enough to do 4K that please able to the eye. But since it 8GB and 4.2 teraflops. It not good for 4K. But good enough to do 1080P very well then the original PS4. So it basically a better 1080P console. It not a real 4K console like what XBOX ONE X is. When you buy a computer even. You do not just go by the price. But also the spices of the system. You might be appeal to a PC that cost $400. But the spice on it be crap compared to one you get at $800. Because it will have newer hard wear then the one at $400. With XBOX ONE X. You are basically buying a $1000 gaming laptop at half the price. I basically a low end gaming PC. And you want something that in tech term it 3 or 4 gen behind low end gaming PC. XBOX ONE X is nothing more then either a 2014 or 2015 graphics card. And PS4P is like 2013 graphics card. Yes that old. It way out dated in PC terms. And you are complaining that XBOX doing it before SONY dose. And I do not want to heard your stupid mouth. When SONY made a console with 10 teraflops with 24GB RAM. Because it will make you look bad. Because you are given SONY pop for something that MS did this year. So lit that get in your mind. Because it just cheering for something that you hate MICROSOFT just did this year. So I do not want hear you when that time come ever.
    .XBOX 4 LIFE. https://www.change.org/petitions/to-tell-microsoft-to-make-self-published-live-able-games-on-windows-phone-and-windows-8-and-tell-deve
  • Boots OrionBoots Orion633,909
    Posted on 13 June 17 at 02:53Permalink
    Allgorhythm said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    Then we have states like Delaware (where I buy all my goods) who have a 0% state tax and a 0% local tax, so $499 USD + tax = $499 USD.
    And Oregon.
    Hi. I'm in Delaware...
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.