Game Discussion: Race The Sun Forum

Race The Sun Multi-Genre Discussion

AuthorMessage
Information Posted on 15 June 17 at 23:09
Please use this thread to discuss this game's classification under the multi-genre system.

If you disagree with the current genres, please click the "Add genre disagreement" button below.
Information Posted on 15 June 17 at 23:09
SpiralGamerpro has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
Just because you're dodging obstacles doesn't make this a platformer. This should be Action only.
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 16 June 17 at 14:05
Endless runners are explicitly cited in the TA definition of Platformer as an example that counts. From the footage I've seen, this is an endless runner. As such, I do not recommend changing the genre away from Platformer.
Eclectic Gamers Podcast: http://eclecticgamers.com
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 27 June 17 at 03:16
Due to endless runner properties, GT has agreed to keep this Platformer.
Eclectic Gamers Podcast: http://eclecticgamers.com
Jamal2807
Jamal2807
Posted on 19 January 18 at 14:26
So if a company creates a fighting game where you just have an endless survival mode it’s also a Plattformer?
You fly a plane and need to doge a lot of stuff while collecting blue rings and items in this game.at leeeeeeaast put air vehicle game genre or whatever but only a Platformer will confuse people
CjhCarter vL
CjhCarter vL
Posted on 20 February 18 at 22:19
I agree about this being an action game to be honest. I'm aware of the rule that all endless runners are considered as platformers, but it should be looked upon possibly - the game is 100% about testing the player's reaction time and precision which is why I feel like action suits it better (you're literally only dodging using the left stick/d-pad).
SpiralGamerpro
SpiralGamerpro
Posted on 21 February 18 at 00:00
I mean, not even all endless runners are classed as platformer (Like Cosmo Run). The only jumping in this game involves picking up a power-up.
The people's champion! Well done for an amazing run, and for croaking with dignity. #TeamSporl4lyf - MalibuStacey85
CjhCarter vL
CjhCarter vL
Posted on 21 February 18 at 22:11
Oh yeah I forgot about that - then what's the point of the rule? Comparing this to other endless runners that are platformers (ie: Alto's Adventure and Shred It!), they emphasize the "traversal" aspect more than this does.
Jamal2807
Jamal2807
Posted on 22 February 18 at 01:33
Thx for the back up .I finished this game and after puttttting so much time into this game I figured out that you just fly a plane a DOOOOOOOOOODGE 10082766227 objects Which is normally not a Plattformer .
Guys it’s just not a plattformer really it’s not watch a gameplay you just fly a plane thaaaats it
Information Posted on 30 October 18 at 18:16
SpiralGamerpro has removed their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
Information Posted on 30 October 18 at 18:18
SpiralGamerpro has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
I guess I'll re-submit this now this is going Games With Gold. As others have mentioned above, the only platforming in this game is flying over ramps and occasionally landing on other platforms. You can also get a jump power that lets you soar through the sky for a short amount of time. That is the extent of anything platforming related, so I don't think it qualifies for the platformer genre. This should be Action only.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 31 October 18 at 13:39
Totally not a platformer ! Despite the "rules" of endless runners" (this being a game that actual has an end (the clue is in the name).

Saw the description then watch the first play video ...never knew Starfox was a platformer...or forza 4 ! This is more a racing game than a platformer.
Cream cannot help but rise up to the top.....Well I say, "Shit floats"
JimbotUK
JimbotUK
Posted on 31 October 18 at 14:40
I’m interested in this one, I agree I think action does fit a little better but it pretty much hits the platformer definition bang on. Especially when going for the tris in air achievements it feels pretty platformer - y to me in regards to the accuracy based jumping challenges part of the definition.

Is only jumping because of a power up enough to say it’s not a platformer? Or because of the shape of the character you control?
SpiralGamerpro
SpiralGamerpro
Posted on 31 October 18 at 14:57
Well, Trials is proof that the shape of your character and the lack of a jump button has no impact on a game being platformer. That game is all about making precise jumps through proper throttle control and bike movement. Race the Sun's precision-based gameplay always involves weaving left and right through obstacles efficiently, and flying over a ramp to collect the tris-in-air is definitely not what I would consider platforming. That would be like driving over a ramp in a racing game in just the right way to pick up a power-up in midair.
sorr yfor my england
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.