Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Minecraft Will Feature Cross Platform Online Play

AuthorMessage
WillCBlogs
WillCBlogs
Posted on 16 June 17 at 15:12
This is going to be a blast

Please click here to read the story: Minecraft Will Feature Cross Platform Online Play
SpudimusPrime89
Posted on 16 June 17 at 15:15
And Sony sadly didn't wamt to join in for whatever reason.
DrMmmPie
DrMmmPie
Posted on 16 June 17 at 15:20
Sony might join them in 2018. Oh snap. I guess this makes getting achievements a whole lot easier across said platforms.
Note: This post contains my personal opinion. So don't hate on it.
Alahert
Alahert
Posted on 16 June 17 at 15:29
Awesome news!
WastedDeer
WastedDeer
Posted on 16 June 17 at 16:24
This is a totally new game so achievements/ the old game may become unavailable when it launches.
Check out my youtube channel if you want a laugh - just search for WastedDeer www.twitch.tv/wasteddeer Twitter - @WastedDeer
x19KN1GHT89x
x19KN1GHT89x
Posted on 16 June 17 at 16:41
So, I may have gotten confused here. Are the "Massive Servers" only for those LARGE groups...or am I going to be able to rent and run my own server to use on Xbox with my friends?

I was originally stoked when I saw this during E3, but these types of servers aren't as interesting to me. Still cool, but was hoping for Minecraft Realms.

If anyone can give any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.
M155G4DG8T
Posted on 16 June 17 at 17:36
SpudimusPrime89 said:
The most likely reason being that Minecraft is now going to require an Xbox Live login on all platforms for cross platform play. It's a clever move by Microsoft actually; Nintendo and PC are their own respective markets, but Sony is a direct competitor. Sony is now in the awkward spot of either telling all of their Minecraft players to sign up for their biggest competitor's service or be the odd man out. They've seemingly chose the latter.

Anyway, I think the idea of cross-platform play in general for any game is great, and well overdue. I hope this, along with Rocket League's cross-platform aspirations, will help pave the way for other games in the future.
"Be firm, but gentle; determined, but kind."
Mr Abductor
Mr Abductor
Posted on 16 June 17 at 21:50
Stop being a big baby Sony
DutRank
DutRank
Posted on 17 June 17 at 05:55
M155G4DG8T said:
SpudimusPrime89 said:
The most likely reason being that Minecraft is now going to require an Xbox Live login on all platforms for cross platform play. It's a clever move by Microsoft actually; Nintendo and PC are their own respective markets, but Sony is a direct competitor. Sony is now in the awkward spot of either telling all of their Minecraft players to sign up for their biggest competitor's service or be the odd man out. They've seemingly chose the latter.

Anyway, I think the idea of cross-platform play in general for any game is great, and well overdue. I hope this, along with Rocket League's cross-platform aspirations, will help pave the way for other games in the future.
So if you're playing from the Switch you have to use an Xbox Live account sign in? Does it have to be gold?
Spilner
Spilner
Posted on 17 June 17 at 09:11
I don't think the windows 10 version does so I doubt it
Pom poms at the ready, cheerleaders!
Kyuubi Alpha
Kyuubi Alpha
Posted on 17 June 17 at 12:22
Spilner said:
Windows 10 is linked to you Microsoft account with is liked to your xbox account if you used all the same login details for all
Groudon199
Groudon199
Posted on 17 June 17 at 12:23
WastedDeer said:
This is a totally new game so achievements/ the old game may become unavailable when it launches.
You'll still be able to play the existing game and unlock achievements in it once the new one launches. It'll be removed from the digital marketplace, but you can still purchase/rent a disc copy.
Spilner
Spilner
Posted on 17 June 17 at 12:25
Kyuubi Alpha said:
Spilner said:
Windows 10 is linked to you Microsoft account with is liked to your xbox account if you used all the same login details for all
Yes but i was referring to the need for gold as the person above asked (I worded it poorly though)
Pom poms at the ready, cheerleaders!
Grimace221
Grimace221
Posted on 17 June 17 at 13:07
Outsider Fenix said:
M155G4DG8T said:
SpudimusPrime89 said:

So if you're playing from the Switch you have to use an Xbox Live account sign in? Does it have to be gold?
This has NOTHING to do with Xbox live gold being required for online cross play. Sony's given reason was that they "have a responsibility to the safety of their customers" as if somehow suggesting they would somehow be putting their customers at risk by letting them play with other platforms. As of right now, nothing has been said about a gold account being required for cross platform play, and I doubt their will be. Why? Because while you could say that Mojang is owned by MS Rocket League which will also be part of this initiative is not, and who is MS to say that people must have XBL Gold on the Swtich to play cross platform?

Bottom line, Sony gave a BS answer because they want people to buy a PS to play with their PS friends.
Yin
Yin
Posted on 17 June 17 at 13:09, Edited on 17 June 17 at 13:11 by Yin
x19KN1GHT89x said:
So, I may have gotten confused here. Are the "Massive Servers" only for those LARGE groups...or am I going to be able to rent and run my own server to use on Xbox with my friends?

I was originally stoked when I saw this during E3, but these types of servers aren't as interesting to me. Still cool, but was hoping for Minecraft Realms.

If anyone can give any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.
They will probably use Realms, which is their way of "renting" a Mojang-hosted server that you can use to share your world with friends; if you're looking for a way to create/mod your own server and play across platforms, I do not think you will be able to.

They have a few options available for pricing, but it's roughly $8-10 a month. Recurring or longer duration subscriptions are available at reduced cost. As far as managing them goes, you can issue push or pull world requests between your copies of the game and the Realm, and manage who can join your world (and I believe, set permissions, but don't quote me on that). There's also a half-priced option for allowing only three people on a realm at a single time, for those who play in small groups.

https://minecraft.net/en-us/realms/
The lesser half of the Yin Yang gaming couple. ;)

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 17 June 17 at 21:40
With this update of across platforms, does the Ios and Android count with this too?
Yin
Yin
Posted on 18 June 17 at 00:47
DARTH WINNERS said:
With this update of across platforms, does the Ios and Android count with this too?
I believe that all Pocket Editions will be included in this update, including iOS and Android. Especially since it's already possible to interact with lobbies between all Pocket Editions when on the same LAN.
The lesser half of the Yin Yang gaming couple. ;)
M155G4DG8T
Posted on 18 June 17 at 01:53
Yin said:
DARTH WINNERS said:
I believe that all Pocket Editions will be included in this update, including iOS and Android. Especially since it's already possible to interact with lobbies between all Pocket Editions when on the same LAN.
Yep, that's correct. It's also worth noting that DLC will carry forward and is now going to be cross-buy amongst the included platforms:

https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/all-news-e3

Anyone playing the game on Windows 10, iOS, Android, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and VR devices will be able to play online together. If you own Minecraft for your mobile or VR device, you'll get this as a free update this summer. If you own Minecraft: Xbox One Edition or Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition, you’ll receive the brand new version of Minecraft for free, and your existing worlds and DLC will come along to the new version with you. What’s more, any DLC you purchase will be accessible amongst the various devices at no extra charge. (For example: if you buy the Greek Mythology pack on Nintendo Switch, you’ll also own it on the mobile, Xbox One and Windows 10 Editions too - no extra charge).
"Be firm, but gentle; determined, but kind."
Arkham#8076
Arkham
Posted on 18 June 17 at 16:46
I'm really looking forward to this.
Leg1t Qual1ty
Leg1t Qual1ty
Posted on 21 July 17 at 03:56
PlayStation sucks that's why they're not being part of the big Minecraft cross play.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.

Account Settings

In order for TrueAchievements to track your games and achievements correctly, it is required that we have access to your achievements. If your achievements are not being scanned in, it is likely that your privacy settings are not allowing this. To correct this, please follow these instructions:

1. Log into https://www.xbox.com/

2. Click on My Account in the top toolbar.
My Account location.

3. Scroll down to Safety and select Manage my privacy and online safety.
Privacy and online safety location.

4. Scroll down to 'Others can'. You need to make sure that 'Everybody' can see your game and app history
Game and app history location.

These steps will allow TrueAchievements to update all of your achievements across all Xbox platforms.