Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

After the Storm: Six Takeaways from E3 2017

AuthorMessage
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 18 June 17 at 18:25
Reading between the lines

Please click here to read the story: After the Storm: Six Takeaways from E3 2017
Fire Hawk D
Fire Hawk D
Posted on 18 June 17 at 18:43
I see so much discussion about exclusives whenever E3 or any presser comes around and...am I the minority where I just don't care about exclusive? If every Xbox exclusive started showing up on the other consoles I wouldn't bat an eye! I like the Xbox itself, the online service, the achievements, etc. I just don't really care.

On a more personal topic, I guess I just don't really care about E3 anymore. It used to be like Christmas in June, and I still watch every conference, but since I'm still playing mostly on Xbox 360 I just don't get as excited for the various reveals. I think it's awesome that Beyond Good & Evil 2 is finally coming and I loved the showings of and will probably buy Assassin's Creed Origins, Ooblets, and Crackdown 3 on launch, but...otherwise I'm sitting here playing the likes of Shaun White Skateboarding, Operation Darkness, and Sanctum 2. Heck, I'm not even playing Backwards Compatible games.

Oh, I did appreciate the free games through Mixer, though. I was going to watch anyway, but thanks for sweetening the deal, Microsoft. :D
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 18 June 17 at 20:15
Seems like E3 was pretty successful then. The space issue will be better utilized next year since they now know how things will work. If they don't expand the space I've already read things that they're open to switching venues.

I would like to know why Scalebound was really canceled to see if it did have any effect on what was announced. I think you do the best you can but they're not only going to show games that will come out in the six months following E3 bc they don't want an embarrassing cancelation. I think Microsoft does care about console exclusives and that's why they made a big deal about it, but Gears of War and Halo are not in play this year and their big game Scalebound was cancelled so they didn't have a lot to work with.

Secrets are what makes E3. I kind of consider E3 the Super Bowl of video games. If all the news is leaked (like last year) why have this mega conference, kind of like why would people bother to watch the Super Bowl if the game had already been played a week before and the result was leaked.
Vandel Buster
Vandel Buster
Posted on 18 June 17 at 20:15
E3 was annoying this year. They're trying to make it a convention now, not a trade show. That and people kept stealing stuff from Bethesda. Art, custom controllers, etc.
NerdrageX
NerdrageX
Posted on 18 June 17 at 20:24, Edited on 18 June 17 at 20:25 by NerdrageX
"That's why it felt as though Microsoft won this year's conference schedule, if we are to crown any winner at all"

Did you not watch Nintendo's or Devolver's conference? Microsoft was middle-of-the-pack this year (which I guess is a "win" considering their terrible track record)
Cornerscout
Cornerscout
Posted on 18 June 17 at 20:30
I think a lot of people hoped that Assassin's Creed was taking a break so they could improve the series, but in reality it was probably more of a "distance makes the heart grow fonder" thing. They figured people were getting bored of another game in the series every single year and they thought sales might boom if they took a year off.

Ironically, Origins actually looks worse than previous games, in that it looks even less realistic. I realize this series has had some ridiculous stuff, but it still always felt mostly grounded. They're straight up delving into fantasy territory now. When the trailer showed a magical arrow that could be controlled in mid-flight, the character somehow knowing what his bird saw, and a monster inside of the pyramids, I laughed out loud.

Fire Hawk D said:
am I the minority where I just don't care about exclusive?
You're not. I don't really care, and I would probably be more inclined to play exclusives from other platforms if they had Gamerscore. I enjoy some of my Playstation exclusives, but they'd probably get played more if they were on Xbox. I'm sure that goes back and forth too, where some primarily-Playstation gamers would be more inclined to play an Xbox exclusive if it were actually on their console too.
Among the best in my state and the world. I blog about it, and I tweet about things I take interest in: @Cornerscout
The Globalizer
Posted on 18 June 17 at 21:38
Fire Hawk D said:
I see so much discussion about exclusives whenever E3 or any presser comes around and...am I the minority where I just don't care about exclusive? If every Xbox exclusive started showing up on the other consoles I wouldn't bat an eye! I like the Xbox itself, the online service, the achievements, etc. I just don't really care.
You (and I) don't, but the industry does. It's seen as a leading indicator and differentiator for the majority of purchasers who choose one console and stick to it.
Psparky27
Psparky27
Posted on 18 June 17 at 22:22
Yep I don't care about exclusives either...In fact I would be happy if there wasn't any! I imagine the amount of people that have both ( all ?) platforms is getting smaller so I can see why the industry highlights it.

Would be interesting to see how many people who own one platform on what was the primary reason for choosing it?
Too many Irons in the fire !
Llamaman2
Llamaman2
Posted on 18 June 17 at 22:36
Surprised to see absolutely no mention of Nintendo's strong showing this E3, given the peppering of Sony references throughout. If Nintendo had been factored into the article, at least a couple of the points wouldn't have held up, as they are pushing some big titles this fall while also managing to deliver some previously unknown news. I certainly came away from the 3 conferences this year being most excited about becoming a Switch owner, as neither Microsoft or Sony really wowed me on their plans for the year.
xPut Name Herex
Posted on 18 June 17 at 23:50
Psparky27 said:
Would be interesting to see how many people who own one platform on what was the primary reason for choosing it?
It depends on what type of consumer is being referred to. For the smaller group of "hardcore" consumers, things like brand and exclusives matter, and to a lesser extent technical prowess. For the larger ground of everyday consumers, being able to play with friends and price are often the deciding factors. This will of course intertwine somewhat (for example, if your "hardcore" consumer picks up your console because of the exclusives, then their casual friends are more likely to buy into your console to play with that person), but really there are two groups of people buying consoles for different reasons.
XI AlphaMale IX
Posted on 19 June 17 at 00:04
Didn't pay any attention to E3, but I enjoyed your article as usual, Mark.
dropK1CK ninJA
Posted on 19 June 17 at 00:25
I thought AC:Origins showed the franchise heading in a different direction more like Dragon Age: Inquisition style of blending action and RPG. I'm curious about the inventory aspect, but I am excited to see it move closer to Mass Effect.
Ask me about my rock collection.
IAteA11ThePies
Posted on 19 June 17 at 01:04
Cornerscout said:
Fire Hawk D said:
am I the minority where I just don't care about exclusive?
You're not. I don't really care, and I would probably be more inclined to play exclusives from other platforms if they had Gamerscore. I enjoy some of my Playstation exclusives, but they'd probably get played more if they were on Xbox. I'm sure that goes back and forth too, where some primarily-Playstation gamers would be more inclined to play an Xbox exclusive if it were actually on their console too.
If all xbox games were playable on the PlayStation then why buy an xbox if it doesn't play Uncharted/Ratchet&Clank/Gran Turismo/whatever? [Ignoring the existence of Nintendo here!] No kid would opt for the machine that only plays 95 rather than 100% of the big AAA games.

Only gamerscore and account purchases would then hold consumers to the MS/xbox brand - and most people outside of this site don't care about Gamerscore as much as TA members do.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 19 June 17 at 01:10
Llamaman2 said:
Surprised to see absolutely no mention of Nintendo's strong showing this E3, given the peppering of Sony references throughout. If Nintendo had been factored into the article, at least a couple of the points wouldn't have held up, as they are pushing some big titles this fall while also managing to deliver some previously unknown news. I certainly came away from the 3 conferences this year being most excited about becoming a Switch owner, as neither Microsoft or Sony really wowed me on their plans for the year.
This is a good point. I think they routinely remain very tight-lipped so that's not a story for them, however. Their only leak seemed to be the game they're making with Ubisoft, naturally. laugh
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Posted on 19 June 17 at 01:45
I don't understand why people keep complaining about AC. How could they change the game too much? If they did, it would be like Gears Judgement, and people would complain how they changed it and it 'doesn't feel the same' bullshit.

What do you want? An assassin that flies around the open world on a dragon?
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Posted on 19 June 17 at 01:45
Personally, I would like to see some of the AAA sony games ported over to the Xbox. THat would be awesome!
Mental Jay
Mental Jay
Posted on 19 June 17 at 02:00, Edited on 19 June 17 at 02:01 by Mental Jay
As someone who paid to attend the event, I say to not bother letting in general attendees. It was just a gong show and not very enjoyable, barely motivated myself to go a second day and didn't care in the slightest for a third. And LA is not a great city to just be exploring on the cheap I found. Fans like myself can have a great time at PAX in a great city like Seattle and leave this for the press.

Also just wanted to second that Playstation's app is ridiculous and needs to go!
matdan
matdan
Posted on 19 June 17 at 03:07
Microsoft did say they just acquired new IPs that won't be ready for 2 years, so that is probably why it was so empty for them.

Better to tell us that, then show gameplay for a game that won't be ready for sometime.
MaurickShepherd
Posted on 19 June 17 at 04:18
This E3 was only underwhelming in the sense that I loved the last two so much. It simply was a matter of meeting expectations that weren't going to be met, but I suppose this year would be last generation's equivalent to the 2010 E3, which was incredibly average.

And as far as games not surprising people, I suppose I'm one of few who just choose to be blissfully ignorant of what's to come. I'm always genuinely surprised by at least 5-10 games every E3 because of this. Only games that are densely rumored to appear (thanks to PR, like both Bethesda games this year) I know about ahead of time.
Helios007
Helios007
Posted on 19 June 17 at 08:01, Edited on 19 June 17 at 08:02 by Helios007
Two things for me - Wolfenstein II and Shadow of War look fucking amazing, and I will be playing the hell out of them from Day One release.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.