Community Events Forum

Forum to discuss TrueAchievements Community Events

Idea for new competition

AuthorMessage
Runner eGirl
Runner eGirl
Posted on 22 June 17 at 17:39, Edited on 22 June 17 at 17:48 by Runner eGirl
I have a rough idea for a site-wide competition that could use fresh input from the community (even to see if it's something that would be possible to run).

Basically, this would be something along the lines of the 4 Hogwarts houses in Harry Potter. Everyone interested in participating would enroll and be randomly sorted into 1 of 4 (or whatever number of) houses. The competition could run for any period of time, I'm thinking yearly for 2-3 months each time, but I haven't given much thought to that aspect.

To establish the winner, there would be more than just one way to gain points:
- Gaining TA score (considering ratio fluctuations)
- Bonuses for completing special challenges (similar to those in GTASC)
- Bonuses for reaching certain milestones as a house
- Penalization challenges, meaning that you have to do (or not do) a certain action to avoid losing points for your house

Since each house would have many members, planning would probably not be feasible, adding an element of uncertainty throughout the competition as to which house might win.

Also, each house could have an identifying color, so the winner could be announced site-wide by changing TA's color (wherever possible) to that of the winning house.

This could be run in parallel with GTASC, and it could be fun to see members of the same team sorted into different TA Houses.

So, any thoughts? I think this could be a really fun event, but I'm not sure if it's within site capabilities

Edit to add:
There could also be special forums/threads that are exclusively available to each of the houses, where all house members could try to come up with plans of action, find boost/co-op buddies within the same house, etc.
MoneyShot360
MoneyShot360
Posted on 22 June 17 at 17:56
Maybe instead of random placement into teams/factions collect all the applications and evenly spread them out based on current TA score or other applicable metric. That way it would make all teams, in theory, have an equal distribution of skills/playstyles. Even with random, there is the ability to have a loaded team.

Or tie it into the Summer Olympics. Have people register by their home country. Do it during the same range of the Olympics. Give out medals for top scores in a genre, or game, or series, etc. Or extend this to just have a World War event for an extended period of time and have people fight for their national pride. Or slim it down to just the US and have it be a Civil War.

Or group teams based on a affiliation with their favorite game genre and only count games played in that genre for that team.

The idea of a team based competition can go so many places then just the self decided teams from the GTASC where only a handful of teams can win.
KenH2k4
KenH2k4
Posted on 22 June 17 at 17:59
Personality, I think this is great! The only problem I can see right now is what if the penalty tasks interfere with GTASC? Like if the task is to avoid certain types of achievements but people need to use them for other contests. Other than that this sounds pretty fun
Beanpotter
Beanpotter
Posted on 22 June 17 at 18:10
I like it, sounds fun. Perhaps contain it to a month with a different challenge each day. That may minimise any clashes.
Mame Tobikomi!
halohogg
halohogg
Posted on 22 June 17 at 20:41
I like the idea of massive team competitions across the site. Perhaps a quarterly team assignment and competition period would work, with winning teams announced at the end. Assignment to team is weighted on present TA score, evenly spread, but relatively random. Participation is automatic during the defined period. Team colour coding is good, and could be subtle against your homepage or on the contest dashboard. Avoid penalties to avoid reluctance to participate.
Jblacq
Jblacq
Posted on 22 June 17 at 20:52
KenH2k4 said:
Personality, I think this is great! The only problem I can see right now is what if the penalty tasks interfere with GTASC? Like if the task is to avoid certain types of achievements but people need to use them for other contests. Other than that this sounds pretty fun
I actually like it for that reason. You have to decide how to limit the penalties. For example, if the penalty is starting new games, well then in GTASC I have to focus on games I've already started.

Beanpotter said:
I like it, sounds fun. Perhaps contain it to a month with a different challenge each day. That may minimise any clashes.
But the shorter challenges means they have to be much simpler... for example "max TA" "max GS". However, if it's longer challenges, you could do something related to game completions and highest ratio (try keeping a high ratio for a month... I bet it's hard!).
Stevo6483
Stevo6483
Posted on 23 June 17 at 14:44
I like it. With a bit of refinement to the rules I think it would be a lot of fun. But definitely make sure the teams are as "even" as they can be. You don't want all the ultras who pop 10K score a day on one team and casuals on the other, struggling to pop 100gs between them lol.
Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas... Whatever!
Runner eGirl
Runner eGirl
Posted on 23 June 17 at 16:34
^^ haha Pros vs Casuals, but with a goal of not scoring more than X GS/day laugh

Thank you everyone for your feedback :)

I like the idea of having tiers of gamers to make sure all teams are somewhat level. Tiers could be for GS/TAS, Completion % and maybe even ratio (although ratio I think would more or less correspond to Completion %). Platform(s) could also be included, to make sure all teams can more or less use all available platforms in a similar manner.

I don't think country-related teams would work, because there would be large differences in member count in each team, so I do think it would have to be random.

As regards GTASC, maybe both competitions could overlap during the initial stage of GTASC, but it would certainly be counter-productive to have both competitions active when GTASC goes into beast mode.
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 23 June 17 at 20:12
This is a wonderful idea. I will be extremely sad if it's not implemented.
Stevo6483
Stevo6483
Posted on 26 June 17 at 14:37
Runner eGirl said:
^^ haha Pros vs Casuals, but with a goal of not scoring more than X GS/day laugh
That would really hack off some of the bigger guys lol - stick it to something like 10gs laugh
Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas... Whatever!
Runner eGirl
Runner eGirl
Posted on 26 June 17 at 16:28
So I've been giving some thought to the bonuses / penalizations system, and here's what I've come up with so far:

Possible bonuses / penalizations
- Bonus awarded for effectively hosting sessions just to help other people unlock achievements (i.e., you already have the achievements scheduled for the session); awarded per host
- Milestone bonus awarded for effectively hosting a certain number of sessions just to help others; awarded to the house as a whole
- Penalization for being banned in the forums; "awarded" per gamer
- Bonus or penalization for meeting / not meeting requirements for daily challenges (i.e., there would be a simple challenge every day, if you meet the requirements you get a bonus; if you don't, you get a penalization); awarded per gamer (see "Ideas for daily challenges" below)
- Bonus for watching the daily Mixer Live Stream; awarded per gamer
- Bonus for watching all daily Mixer Live Streams in a week; awarded per gamer
- Bonus awarded to the House with the largest number of members who watched daily Mixer Live Streams in a week; awarded per House
- Penalization "awarded" to the House with the smallest number of members who watched daily Mixer Live Streams in a week; "awarded" per House
- Bonus for playing the active TA Playlist Game (unlocking achievements yourself, hosting sessions to help others, uploading videos); awarded per gamer

Ideas for daily challenges
These would be very simple challenges that would reset every day. If you meet the requirements, you get a bonus; if you don't, you lose points for your House.

- Unlock only achievements ending in 0 (including 0GS achievements, at least 1 achievement unlocked for requirements to be met)
- Unlock only achievements ending in 5 (at least 1 achievement unlocked for requirements to be met)
- Complete a game (100% achievements unlocked; only the last achievement of the game needs to be unlocked on this day to meet requirements; games with unobtainables/discontinueds excluded; at least 1 game completed on that date for requirements to be met)
- Start a game (unlock at least 1 achievement in one game you had no achievements unlocked; at least 1 game started for requirements to be met)
- Don't start or complete any games (i.e., unlock any achievement in a game that is not your first nor your last achievement in it; no minimum number of achievements unlocked for requirements to be met, meaning you can do nothing and get your bonus)
- Unlock a total GS ending in 0 (mix of any combination of achievement values; at least 1 achievement unlocked for requirements to be met)
- Unlock a total GS ending in 5 (mix of any combination of achievement values; at least 1 achievement unlocked for requirements to be met)

I specifically didn't include anything related to posting in the forums, posting solutions, commenting on solutions, etc. to avoid empty posts just to get the bonus, but it could easily be added.

I think this type of competition offers a great opportunity to promote all types of activities site-wide, and fosters a sense of community by teaming up different types of gamers and giving everyone the chance of contributing within their own possibilities to the success of their Houses. I would be really excited to see it implemented (and I am willing to help in any capacity the community events team needs), so here's hoping!
KenH2k4
KenH2k4
Posted on 26 June 17 at 22:58
I like the ideas there, but I don't think you should be penalized for not meeting the daily challenge. It should be a reward if you do, but nothing if you don't. I'm also personally not a fan of the Mixer bonus, just because I'm always at work when they originally air (10 am my time).
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 26 June 17 at 23:43, Edited on 26 June 17 at 23:44 by Eurydace
Yeah you can't make it based on a specific time. That's unfair.

Thought about it and here it wouldn't be. On average the same number of people per team will be able to watch.
Runner eGirl
Runner eGirl
Posted on 27 June 17 at 00:16
yes, the idea is that not everyone is going to be able to get every bonus, but that everyone can earn points for their house

as regards penaliztions, there wouldn't be many and each of them wouldn't subtract a lot of points, I just think that using them would add an interesting fluctuation component to house scores
Mephisto4thewin
Mephisto4thewin
Posted on 27 June 17 at 05:07
I love the idea of this comp. I'd be happy to team up with random gamers to compete.
Amyfx
Amyfx
Posted on 14 July 17 at 03:56
I'd be down! I'm all for community events/competitions that don't involve elimination (Alphabet Challenge, etc.) or penalties. smile
Young Yeetman
Young Yeetman
Posted on 14 July 17 at 15:38
I like the idea but I would make a small change. Instead of having a specific amount of houses/teams you can have an unlimited amount depending on how many people register for the event. An example is 100 per house/team. I feel like this gives more of an opportunity for one person to make a difference but still have a pretty large team. However, this has nothing to do with Harry Potter lol
MoneyShot360
MoneyShot360
Posted on 14 July 17 at 16:07
Can we go with Game of Thrones houses instead of Harry Potter smile
KenH2k4
KenH2k4
Posted on 14 July 17 at 16:08
MoneyShot360 said:
Can we go with Game of Thrones houses instead of Harry Potter smile
I like this site but I'm not willing to die for it
Bartholoman7
Bartholoman7
Posted on 15 July 17 at 03:08
You could name the houses after staple Xbox Franchises like Halo, Gears of War, Forza... etc.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.