Game Discussion: FIFA 06: Road to FIFA World Cup

Hi I'm terrible at sports games but...

• Posted on 12 February 12 at 13:28
    I really want to complete this game. It's been sat around my house along with 10+ other sports games and I know that this is one of the easiest ones. However I'm so bad that I can't even beat the amateur difficulty. I can pass ok, I find it very hard to tackle and the shooting seems to have very little control to it. I've been on target a couple of times but never able to get a goal. I've only played for about 20 mins but I honestly don't have a clue what I'm doing. If anyone out there is willing and able to give me a Fifa 101 of some sort I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance.
    @ei8htyei8ht http://ei8htyei8ht.com
  • IntoTheDark7IntoTheDark7889,914
    Posted on 03 April 12 at 17:24
    I've not played much but I'm getting wins most of the time (we won't talk about the Liechtenstein "incident") so I'll try to help.

In terms of shooting, you need to make sure you're a good team. As Brazil, if I'm clean through on goal, let go of "sprint" and tap (not too light a tap - you want the bar about a quarter to a third full) "shoot" when I'm around the penalty spot they normally tuck the ball into the corner of the goal without me having to think too much about the direction. Maybe a 90% succes rate.

The part I'm finding harder is getting into that position in the first place. For that I mainly rely in "through ball" - hit "Y" when just in front of their bank of defenders. It doesnt' work every time, or even often, but its the most reliable way I've found of getting one on one against their keeper.

In terms of getting the ball in the first place you want to use "Circle" and sprint to chase them down and nick the ball off them. Often they will turn and run towards they're own goal, and if you can get the ball at the right time, you're through on goal.

Other than that its just a case of getting to grips with the passing so you can hang onto the ball and move it forwards. The passing isn't great but you can control it, despite what it feel like. Make sure you glance at the radar every now and then to make sure you're aiming towards one of your own players. Another tip for retaining the ball is to use the left stick to turn away from the incoming defender in space.

I hope that's helpful. Pretty poor game compared to the newer versions but keep at it and you'll get the hang of it and have another 1k!
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant1,076,113
    Posted on 08 April 14 at 22:03
    Easiest way to score is to use the RB (finesse) shot when shooting. Hold it when you power and aim your shot and it will fly in.
    Hey Niko, its your cousin! Let's go bowling!
  • OneEighthOneEighth396,085
    Posted on 22 January 16 at 07:00
    If you're not into soccer then this game is a boring pain in the butt.
  • LukeMcC1991LukeMcC1991448,496
    Posted on 18 March 20 at 01:12
    This game is garbage, I can’t score to save my life
  • Posted on 14 May 20 at 14:19
    The controls on this game are so unbelievable bad. Starting to regret it as a supposedly 'easy' completion.
    Going for gamerscore. iiAssassinXxii
  • Posted on 21 July 21 at 11:06, Edited on 21 July 21 at 14:00 by TheDonSimeoni
    This was one of the first games I got an achievement on when I first got my own 360 + account in 2011. Bought the game second hand to try and clean up my backlog, and as well as the terrible controls, I'm enjoying only being able to play the game in Spanish. Makes navigating menus that much easier /s
    -.-
    ~TheDon
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads