Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Lords of the Fallen and Sniper Ghost Warrior Devs Look Toward the Future

AuthorMessage
KBop a doo
KBop a doo
Posted on 29 June 17 at 01:56
Another tactical shooter inbound

Please click here to read the story: Lords of the Fallen and Sniper Ghost Warrior Devs Look Toward the Future
matdan
matdan
Posted on 29 June 17 at 02:00
Where's Eury to say tactical shooters don't exist? laugh
MushaConvoy
MushaConvoy
Posted on 29 June 17 at 02:54
I know I'm real late to the party, but what was wrong with Ghost Warrior 3? I'm nearing the end of Sniper Elite 4 and was hoping I'd pick up Ghost Warrior in the upcoming sale...
Peace Through Tyranny
LV 1 Blue Slime
Posted on 29 June 17 at 03:28
matdan said:
Too busy digging a grave for JRPGs to comment wink

As for the article, can't say I was particularly impressed with Lords of the Fallen. Seems enough RPGs are coming out nowadays that I have to be choosy, and I don't think I can hop on board the sequel train without some significant changes.
"Slutty outfit? You're one to talk." "This isn't slutty, it's strategically placed."
MushaConvoy
MushaConvoy
Posted on 29 June 17 at 03:38
matdan said:
Would something like Door Kickers (Steam) fit that genre? Or maybe even Valkyria Chronicles? Not sure I like Revolution's realtime take.......
Peace Through Tyranny
KBop a doo
KBop a doo
Posted on 29 June 17 at 03:39
MushaConvoy said:
I know I'm real late to the party, but what was wrong with Ghost Warrior 3? I'm nearing the end of Sniper Elite 4 and was hoping I'd pick up Ghost Warrior in the upcoming sale...
Mark, one of our reviewers, weighed in on it here and it did not fare well, earning a 1.5/5 in the official review:

Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 Review

There are a lot of user comments on the review echoing similar sentiments, citing loading screens of upwards of five minutes, bad frame rates throughout, poorly-programmed AI, etc.
MushaConvoy
MushaConvoy
Posted on 29 June 17 at 03:42
Cheers @Kbop, sounds like Ive dodged a bullet... 5 minute loading times sound like a killer. Ive been playing Spec Ops on 360 this week, poorly-programmed AI sounds like an improvement...
Peace Through Tyranny
MugenKairo
MugenKairo
Posted on 29 June 17 at 08:40, Edited on 29 June 17 at 08:40 by MugenKairo
It's weird, I have Lords of the Fallen on my game list, but when I try to open it I get the error message 'your memberships are not updated...' If you are a Gold member and you get a free GwG, even if you revert back to Siover shouldn't the game still be available to play?
'Life begins beyond the edge of your comfort zone'
Daelus1
Daelus1
Posted on 29 June 17 at 09:41, Edited on 29 June 17 at 09:42 by Daelus1
LV 1 Blue Slime said:
Too busy digging a grave for JRPGs to comment wink

As for the article, can't say I was particularly impressed with Lords of the Fallen. Seems enough RPGs are coming out nowadays that I have to be choosy, and I don't think I can hop on board the sequel train without some significant changes.
Someone should have buried that jRPG corpse long ago or else we get messes like FFXV, where even the devs can't figure out what they are anymore.

As to there being enough RPGs nowadays.....where? I would kill for AAA, even AA RPGs to drop......there are maybe a handful of true RPGs released each year....2015 have DA:I and Divinty:OS....not sure I remember anything from 2016....just checked and of the 5 games nominated, 2 were Witcher DLC's....Witcher is an action game and not an RPG....and there was FFXV....nuff said their....same as Witcher (not remotely as good) in that it is not, in the least, an RPG.

As to LotF, while it was clearly trying to copy Dark Souls combat, that they actually inserted a reasonable narrative meant I enjoyed it much more than Dark Souls....even if it still wasn't a great game.
Anxsighety
Anxsighety
Posted on 29 June 17 at 10:02
Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 isn't as terrible as it was at launch. It's a decent game, but it's obvious devs were in over their heads.
Lyzyrd
Lyzyrd
Posted on 29 June 17 at 11:59
Wasn't really a fan of Lords of the Fallen. My son, who loves the Dark Souls series even stopped playing a ways in because once he figured out the combat, it was too easy for him and lacked variety. I've not tried Sniper Ghost Warrior - I only have time for one sniper game in my life and that is the Sniper Elite series.
matdan
matdan
Posted on 29 June 17 at 12:10
MushaConvoy said:
matdan said:
Would something like Door Kickers (Steam) fit that genre? Or maybe even Valkyria Chronicles? Not sure I like Revolution's realtime take.......
Think games like Full Spectrum Warrior, Republic Commando, SOCOM, Conflict I/II, Rainbow Six, SWAT 4 and Operation Flashpoint. Door Kickers is an RTS, while those are squad based shooters or more commonly tactical shooters.

You manage a squad of soldiers and plan out strategies to get through combat situations while keeping that squad alive as-well as being combat effective through instructions like Follow Me, Aim at that target or assault that position.

Could be pretty good if they learn from the mistakes made by all the Ghost Warrior games dev teams.
KBop a doo
KBop a doo
Posted on 29 June 17 at 12:14
MugenKairo said:
It's weird, I have Lords of the Fallen on my game list, but when I try to open it I get the error message 'your memberships are not updated...' If you are a Gold member and you get a free GwG, even if you revert back to Siover shouldn't the game still be available to play?
That only applies to Xbox 360 games. Xbox One Games With Gold require an active Gold membership to play:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/my-account/xbox-live-membersh...
SuperTigerWoods
Posted on 29 June 17 at 13:48
xSRYANx said:
Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 isn't as terrible as it was at launch. It's a decent game, but it's obvious devs were in over their heads.
Agreed. Not terrible, but not as good as Sniper Elite 4. I still enjoyed it very much. I'm sure some people will have the "so bad it's good" reaction.

Definitely better than a 1.5 in my opinion. Loading times were never that bad and have since been improved with the update
#AncoraUnPezzoDiMerda
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.