Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

What's Your Game of the Year So Far?

AuthorMessage
Olimite
Olimite
Posted on 04 July 17 at 07:41
Sadly, I'd vote Clicker Heroes. Man, I'm getting old but it's so darned addictive!
Bk2DaFuture
552,580 552,580 GamerScore
Bk2DaFuture
Posted on 04 July 17 at 09:38
Horizon Zero Dawn for me loved it!
Daelus1
Daelus1
Posted on 04 July 17 at 09:44
While I am no fan of the direction Bioware has gone with the full-on SJW crap they put in their games now (and their last "patch" was the straw...no more Bioware games), Andromeda is easily my GOTY so far as I rate it an 8......Horizon Zero Dawn is a good game, but as with most PS exclusives the hype is way out in front of the actual game....I rated it a 7. Never played a Zelda game before so bought the Switch just based on the nuts level hype of Zelda....COME ON!!!!!! That was a kid's game......that game is further proof to me that Japanese devs have not made any progress in 20 years....they used to be leading the RPG"ish" genre....yet they are so lost as to western culture we get ridiculous garbage like MGSV, FFXV and this....Switch joins the PS4 in the basement....at least I pull PS out a couple times a year.....Zelda I rated a 5....you rate it any higher than a 6 and you are playing the game through nostalgia or are an 8-year old.
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 04 July 17 at 13:21, Edited on 04 July 17 at 13:22 by Allgorhythm
KamikazeGaulois said:
Yep...the japanese version.
It was released in January 2017 in NA & Europe.
I see. I was surprised you named Yakuza Zero because (IMHO) there are better Yakuza games that were released before and after Zero. Localization tends to be sporadic and I lose track.

IMHO, the three best games in the series are Yakuza Ishin, Yakuza 5, and Yakuza 6 in that order. Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami were released after Yakuza 5 and Yakuza Ishin but before Yakuza 6. Whereas they were good, they are nowhere near the level of the three games I rate at the top. I believe Kiwami and Yakuza 6 will be localized but the best two games in the series--Yakuza Ishin and Yakuza 5--unfortunately, do not look like they are going to be localized in English.

Until Nier: Automata came out, I considered Yakuza Ishin to be the best eighth generation game. Both games are steeped in atmosphere and tell compelling stories. Ishin, with its historical perspective, is certainly a game of substance. However, Nier: Automata has that rare quality of being able to combine serious themes with exceptional fun factor.
Wicked Jei
Wicked Jei
Posted on 04 July 17 at 14:32
Prey,easily. One of the best games I've ever played. If bioshock goes down as one of the greatest games, prey should be right next to it.
LadyNova01
LadyNova01
Posted on 04 July 17 at 16:44
Haven't play much of the new games that came out this year due a quite a backlog I collected last year and from what I played there was no new game that's worth my GOTY.

But with Destiny 2, PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, NFS Payback & AC Origins coming in the second half of this year this is bound to change when we reach the end of the year
Ichigo Kurosaki is my name and reaping hollows is my game
Bogi x3
Bogi x3
Posted on 04 July 17 at 17:24
For me it Breath of the Wild on Switch so far :3. Looking forward too Rabbid x Mario and Mario Oddessy ^^.
Yinga Garten
Yinga Garten
Posted on 04 July 17 at 18:09
Eekeemoo.
wbs
wbs
Posted on 04 July 17 at 21:17
Yooka Laylee other than that this year has been pretty quite for me
mcnichoj
mcnichoj
Posted on 04 July 17 at 22:05
xSRYANx said:
I know you're trolling, but I'll bite anyways.

It isn't my favorite Zelda game, but it is easily the best open world game in a really long time. Most open world games fail miserably at defining its characters and locations. Breath of the Wild sometimes feels empty, but the formula isn't Ubisoft or Elder Scrolls. It's a little bit of everything, and that's why it's so great. I think the biggest disconnect for most people was the dungeon structure. The shrines ultimately make up what the dungeons would be, and the divine beasts are only mini dungeons with very similar mechanics. Ultimately, the game crushes what's it tried to do, though.

Go play Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, whatever... then play this. You'll get it.
Except I'm really not, I've been pretty vocal about my disdain for the title shortly after I had played a good chunk of it. All the people that claim the game is the best of all time are trolling themselves.

I'll tip my hat to Nintendo for attempting to figure out new and inventive ways to address issues to long standing traditions and while a clever way to fill up an empty world was to litter it with the shrines, it just wasn't good enough.
The Kokoro seed collectibles are bullshit. 900? Imagine how livid people on here would be if that was an achievement in another open world game. Your reward for getting them all is a literal golden shit.
Random side quests and other stuff that doesn't help you at all in the main game.

I've played many other open world games. They don't give you this arbitrary bullshit to waste your time from going to point a to point b. Sure in GTA you can go bowling with your cousin or in AssCreed you can go get that games version of collectibles or Far Cry you can hunt down animals for crafting but none of that is forced upon you.
misfit119
misfit119
Posted on 05 July 17 at 01:43
Prey! It's probably one of my new favorite games of all time. Wasn't too interested in it before the thing released. Got a review copy and it was completely amazing.
Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
gypsymuffin
gypsymuffin
Posted on 05 July 17 at 11:18
My game of the year so far is Horizon Zero Dawn.
HappyCalf82281
Posted on 05 July 17 at 13:16
Seeing a certain game that currently has a lot of votes despite it's critical and commercial failure leads me to believe that some people have only played one game so far this year.
x Mataeus x
x Mataeus x
Posted on 05 July 17 at 13:27
BotW is so overrated and overhyped it's insane. Truthfully, I enjoyed Spirit Tracks on the DS more, and a Link to the Past (3DS) is sublime.

I voted for other: Torment: Tides of Numenera. It's a niche game, and exactly what I was looking for.
~~~Vae Victis!~~~
Clutch Rino
Clutch Rino
Posted on 05 July 17 at 15:15
Nerfgirl83 said:
Breath of the wild! Seriously how do you not pick this?
I agree. Amazing game and I still haven't finished the story.
Ricard0 Wesker
Posted on 05 July 17 at 16:17
Friday 13th The Game
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 05 July 17 at 16:37
Clutch Rino said:
Nerfgirl83 said:
I've played both BotW and Nier: Automata. They are both great games. Recognizing that Famitsu gave BotW a perfect 40/40 score while Nier: Automata received a 39/40, I consider Nier: Automata to be the better game by a substantial margin.

Story: While BotW has an interesting story, it is crafted along the same lines that we have seen in other Zelda games. It is captivating because the game's open world is so exceptionally done. Nier: Automata's story-telling is original and masterfully presented. It is a story of discovery. Layers upon layers of emotionally charged content are peeled back. The player is gripped in the compelling narrative that explores profound themes. The end of the game is truly cathartic. Moreover, this catharsis is so well presented that even upon playing the game a second time and knowing the ultimate outcome, the player still experiences goose bumps. Nier: Automata is a game that grips your soul.

Gameplay: The BotW gameplay is great. The system is very sophisticated in a fun way. However, the stylistic Bayonetta 2 style gameplay that Platinum Games brings to Nier: Automata is even more fun. Movement is even more thrilling than BotW's shield surfing as you can move at a breakneck pace.

Audio: While the music of BotW complements the game well, the Nier: Automata soundtrack is phenomenal. The three plus hour soundtrack is available digitally from Amazon for 19.99 USD (the CDs are also available but are significantly more expensive.) I do not buy game soundtracks but bought the Nier: Automata soundtrack. Like the story, the soundtrack is emotionally charged and speaks to the player in a visceral manner.
Saiyan Ruuku
Saiyan Ruuku
Posted on 05 July 17 at 17:44
Other.

There hasn't been any game this year that has caught my interest, and none that I've been excited about, the only games that I'm really looking forward to are Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces.
If it works, it isn't stupid.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 05 July 17 at 19:15
I voted Nintendo game and that game is Ever Oasis. It's such a charming game.clap
PlayUltimate711
Posted on 05 July 17 at 19:47, Edited on 05 July 17 at 19:48 by PlayUltimate711
Allgorhythm said:
Clutch Rino said:
Nerfgirl83 said:
I've played both BotW and Nier: Automata. They are both great games. Recognizing that Famitsu gave BotW a perfect 40/40 score while Nier: Automata received a 39/40, I consider Nier: Automata to be the better game by a substantial margin.

Story: While BotW has an interesting story, it is crafted along the same lines that we have seen in other Zelda games. It is captivating because the game's open world is so exceptionally done. Nier: Automata's story-telling is original and masterfully presented. It is a story of discovery. Layers upon layers of emotionally charged content are peeled back. The player is gripped in the compelling narrative that explores profound themes. The end of the game is truly cathartic. Moreover, this catharsis is so well presented that even upon playing the game a second time and knowing the ultimate outcome, the player still experiences goose bumps. Nier: Automata is a game that grips your soul.

Gameplay: The BotW gameplay is great. The system is very sophisticated in a fun way. However, the stylistic Bayonetta 2 style gameplay that Platinum Games brings to Nier: Automata is even more fun. Movement is even more thrilling than BotW's shield surfing as you can move at a breakneck pace.

Audio: While the music of BotW complements the game well, the Nier: Automata soundtrack is phenomenal. The three plus hour soundtrack is available digitally from Amazon for 19.99 USD (the CDs are also available but are significantly more expensive.) I do not buy game soundtracks but bought the Nier: Automata soundtrack. Like the story, the soundtrack is emotionally charged and speaks to the player in a visceral manner.
Damn it, Allgorhythm!!! I keep on getting this urge to buy a PS4 for this game, but then I see my massive backlog on XB1 and realize I have a PS3 with all the exclusives, but I haven't even played any of my PS3 games. I only have 3 PS3 trophies even though I have something like 25-35 PS3 games. You are REALLY making me want to buy a PS4 to play Nier! I would also like to play the other PS exclusives, like Horizon, Persona 5, and the others.

I also want to get a Switch laugh I have too many games!!!
I AM PEKE?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.