Game Discussion: Dragon Age: Origins Forum

Looking to start... best race/class?

AuthorMessage
Predefiance
Predefiance
Posted on 04 July 17 at 05:18
I'm looking to finally start this game and I want to plan accordingly. Is there a particular class that will make the game easier if I focus on them from the very beginning? Any particular build within this class, skills that are more beneficial than the others etc...? I understand there is a nightmare related achievement in the DLC and want to prepare for that before I begin the game.
Google just seems to be a pretty conflicted and varied mess when I search for this question so I thought I'd ask TrueAchievements which is bound to have a decent idea on the subject.
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 04 July 17 at 14:03, Edited on 04 July 17 at 14:11 by Allgorhythm
Predefiance said:
I'm looking to finally start this game and I want to plan accordingly. Is there a particular class that will make the game easier if I focus on them from the very beginning? Any particular build within this class, skills that are more beneficial than the others etc...? I understand there is a nightmare related achievement in the DLC and want to prepare for that before I begin the game.
Google just seems to be a pretty conflicted and varied mess when I search for this question so I thought I'd ask TrueAchievements which is bound to have a decent idea on the subject.
When I played, my main character was a mage. If I were to play again, though, I would make my main character a rogue. These are the observations I made a few years ago in What RPG are you currently playing.

My main character was a mage. Whenever possible, I played with two mages, a rogue, and a tank and would control the rogue--Leliana or Zevran. I set up the strategy so one mage was primary healing secondary support. The other mage was primary support, secondary healing. The tank was set up to attract attention and support.

I then used the rogue to go through the bad guys like a hot knife through butter. I had their strength high enough so they could wield two long swords. I excluded abilities/talents/skills from the strategy that could cause friendly fire damage. At times, I wanted to control a mage directly for distance attacks. In those cases, I used the advanced features to tell everyone else to hold.

Like many of this type of RPG, the developers give you a huge variety of strategy and tactics. Usually, you can select a close to optimal set and stick with it throughout the game. One advantage of my setup is that I rarely used the rogues' special talents and just spammed the A button maneuvering with the left stick. The rogue is so fast he or she can do most of the damage from the back staying out of harm's way. The bad guys are focused on the tank which makes it easier to blindside opponents. Only rarely did I have to deviate from this setup--the Flemeth fight was one such occasion. I fought her early on before my rogues and tanks were mature. So I used exclusively ranged attacks--archers with ice arrows and mages with cold attacks and plenty of healing.

When I started out, I'd planned to control the mage. However, it became tedious switching between mage and rogue to open locked chests and doors. So, I started controlling the rogue exclusively and found out that the rogue was the simplest character to control in combat.
I might add that I played the main game on Hard and the DLCs on Nightmare. If you're just going for the achievements, play on a lesser difficulty. However, if you want to best experience the game, my recommendation is to play on the hardest difficulties--it keeps the adrenaline flowing but there is nothing you should find overwhelming.
Predefiance
Predefiance
Posted on 07 July 17 at 08:53
Thank you for the response, nicely detailed too. I will probably play through on a high difficulty and see how I go.
ezhno
ezhno
Posted on 07 July 17 at 16:07
Dwarf Noble just for the dialogue choices alone. Personally I was a warrior but any of the classes should be viable. I wouldn't worry about 'builds' too much as it is very possible to max out if you have all of the DLC such as in the ultimate edition. Strangely, everywhere I read stated that you can only unlock two specializations per class but when I started the DLC that takes place after the main game (it was either Awakening or Golems), a third specialization was also opened and promptly maxed out.

Basically, if you take the time to explore and do side quests, you are very capable of achieving whatever you want. Plenty of things are missable, so I guess it depends how much you want to play or replay the game.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 06 December 17 at 07:00
Gonna throw my 2 cents in as well. I haven't done a PT in a couple years so I might not remember all the names. But I remember how I play.
Two Worlds was the first RPG I played. So it left me with a deep, seething hatred of rogues and archers. Who fire a bolt at you and bolt as soon as you get close. Dragon Age: Origins, being the second RPG I ever played. I mainly stuck with warriors and mages.

Mage: I used a combination of abilities that could generate a chain reaction of kills. I used a spell to turn an enemy into stone. I'd use the swarm of insects and virulent walking bomb, Then I'd hit them with a stone fist. That would cause them to shatter and infect everybody around them with virulent walking bomb. The swarm of insects would jump from one weakened opponent to the next and the walking bombs exploding would cause more damage as each one explodes.

My warriors would all use 2 two handed swords and heavy armor. They had this sweep ability and one (the picture shows 4 arms) that would stab the enemy 4 times. Everything else was waiting for their abilities to recharge.

My flavorite characters were Sten, Oghren (However it's spelled), Shale and Morrigan. I'd use (and abuse the hell out of) Sten's Feastday gift book. It would revive your party if they died. I don't remember if it revives everybody or just the person you select. I don't even think Sten has to be alive to use it. Despite the cutscene showing him being the one.
HaxAras
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.