Walkthroughs

Forum for discussing game walkthroughs

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition Walkthrough Discussion

• Posted on 02 December 10 at 21:29, Edited on 26 February 15 at 14:57 by MC0REBEPermalink
    Please use this thread to discuss the The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition walkthrough
  • o SeduLOUs oo SeduLOUs o564,795
    Posted on 28 June 12 at 13:48Permalink
    This guide is AWFUL. I haven't even gotten through the first paragraph and have given up. There are no tutorials on controls, or what to say to people. Tells me to 'put my helmet on' but gives absolutely no indication of how you are actually supposed to do it.

Gone to Game FAQs because this is no help at all.
    It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
  • Nighthawk205Nighthawk205325,234
    Posted on 28 June 12 at 18:40, Edited on 28 June 12 at 18:51 by Nighthawk205Permalink
    To be fair, the walkthroughs on TA are not meant to be tutorials on how to play a game and what the controls are. Walkthroughs are meant to be achievement walkthroughs on what you need to do and at what point in that game you could/should be getting the achievement.

It's up to the writer of the walkthrough if they want to go into further details on specific controls, options, etc. N188l3pwn3r chose to go into further details of what to do at each point in the story, giving an effective walkthrough in our views.

If you would like to help out and add instructions for how to use items and that sort, please let me know and I can have you added to the walkthrough as an Editor. If you don't want to do that, you can feel free to shoot me a PM regarding specifics of what to add (and where) and I can add them to make this as effective a walkthrough as possible for all of our users.
    Posted on 29 June 12 at 10:57, Edited on 29 June 12 at 11:04 by o SeduLOUs oPermalink
    Some examples:

The walkthrough told me to go to the circus on the map. There is no circus on the map. After a while of investigating I discover there is a 'clearing' on the map, which happens to have a circus in it.

The walkthrough told me to 'put my helmet on' but gave no indication of how to do this. In fact, the circus guys ask me if I have a helmet, to which I have to respond 'yes' and they ask to see it. I then have to give the helmet to them for inspection and only then can I put it on.

In the mansion, I am told to "Enter the mansion, enter the door you can see, and enter through the hole again." Enter through the hole again? This means nothing to me. After wandering around aimlessly in the mansion and attempting to leave, I am then caught in a fight scene which creates a hole in the wall that I presume the walkthrough is referring to. I cannot enter it though, because I am missing an item which I get later in the walkthrough.

The reason I used the walkthrough was because there is an achievement for completing the entire game in under 3 hours - the walkthrough claims to aid with this, but I had only completed 18% of the game at the 1.5 hour mark due to bad and vague instructions. I didn't manage to get through page 1 of the walkthrough because it just left me utterly confused.

The walkthrough is probably OK if you are using it for a second playthrough and already know the events, but this is utterly useless for someone on a first playthrough. If the intention is for it to be a speed-run guide for a 2nd playthrough when you already know the gist, this is not made clear.
    Posted on 29 June 12 at 12:03Permalink
    Thanks for you help. I'll make sure the walkthrough is unpublished and run through the game on my own once again (specifically using this walkthrough) and make edits where the walkthrough could be a bit more clear.
    Posted on 29 June 12 at 13:14, Edited on 29 June 12 at 13:25 by o SeduLOUs oPermalink
    I was probably a bit harsh in my first post, so I apologise for that. I appreciate it must really hard when writing a walkthrough to imagine having never played the game before, and some things that seem blatantly obvious just aren't to someone on a 1st playthrough. To be fair, the game FAQs guide that I went to wasn't really better in that department either.

Some parts of this were walkthrough very good, but some obviously just a little lacking in detail. The explanation of the fighting was awkward for a new player - the guid to getting all of the insults was fantastic for that achievement, but when I reloaded the save I won 3 fights by fluke and ran straight to the swordmaster as instructed by the guide. I had no hope of beating her because I only had 2-3 phrases to use, so I kept going back to learn more and return to her only to lose again because I had no indication of how many was a sensible amount to beat her without wasting precious time.

When I went back to the shop to "ask for credit" as per walkthrough, there were no dialogue options regarding credit and I became stuck, although I'm 99% sure I hadn't missed anything.

It may be an idea to put time guides through the guide to give an indication of whether you are on track for the 3 hour achievement. i.e. in the guide put that after beating the swordmaster you should be at about the X minute mark. That way people don't need to panic, and if not on track at any point they can reload and try again instead of getting all the way to the end and failing.

I didn't use the walkthrough here past chapter one so can't really comment on the rest.

Anyway, since I moaned about the walkthrough I thought it only fair to point out the specific bits I had trouble with while you are going to make the effort to update it. Thank you for that. smile
    Posted on 30 June 12 at 00:40Permalink
    Ok thanks a bunch for your help. I'll take these into consideration while I go through the game again, but I'm afraid I may not be able to get those time "checkpoints" in since I've already played through it a few times. I can probably give general ideas for a second playthrough (which I'll likely include), but that's the best I can do.

If anyone else is having any problems figuring out this walkthrough or has any tips (or for any others as well!), please post it here or shoot me a PM so that we can improve our walkthroughs to help as much as possible!
  • Porkchop22Porkchop22215,996
    Posted on 03 July 12 at 16:50, Edited on 03 July 12 at 16:54 by drabikPermalink
    ahhh where did the guide go? I was using it for the achievements. Can you send it to me it word format or something. At least put it back up. I'm sure more people were getting use out of it. Please put it back up!!!!!

Mod edit: Please be nice.
  • Porkchop22Porkchop22215,996
    Posted on 03 July 12 at 16:58Permalink
    Ok. Sorry I'll be nice. But can you at least make it publishable again, please?!
    Posted on 03 July 12 at 18:01Permalink
    Yep sorry about that. I ran into some things this weekend and didn't get to finishing it, but it's saved on my PC at home. I'll PM you the guide in the meantime so you won't be missing it.
  • Tasty PastryTasty Pastry332,693
    Posted on 06 July 12 at 20:19Permalink
    Republished Porkchop22

toast
    Posted on 07 July 12 at 00:48Permalink
    Whoops! Should have mentioned that laugh
  • Minna xDMinna xD84,469
    Posted on 13 October 12 at 20:46Permalink
    Hiya,

I thought I'd let you know some additions to the guide since I'm currently playing the game and sometimes I'm left scratching my head even after reading the guide.

For Part 3, "(the ape will now open the gate for you)" you should add that you need to pull the nose of the left totem. I kept walking in front of the gate with the monkey following me, trying different locations and the monkey just wouldn't do anything! :-)

Also, I think the part about asking for credit (Part 1) is still missing a step. I think (if I remember correctly) you have to visit Stan's (i.e. the big bunch of lights on the right side of the island) first and then you get the dialogue option. And then you have to go back to Stan's.
    Posted on 15 October 12 at 18:52Permalink
    Minna xD said:
    Hiya,

I thought I'd let you know some additions to the guide since I'm currently playing the game and sometimes I'm left scratching my head even after reading the guide.

For Part 3, "(the ape will now open the gate for you)" you should add that you need to pull the nose of the left totem. I kept walking in front of the gate with the monkey following me, trying different locations and the monkey just wouldn't do anything! :-)

Also, I think the part about asking for credit (Part 1) is still missing a step. I think (if I remember correctly) you have to visit Stan's (i.e. the big bunch of lights on the right side of the island) first and then you get the dialogue option. And then you have to go back to Stan's.
    Thanks for the suggestions. We're working on getting the addition for Part 3. I'm sorry but I don't fully understand what you mean about the credit in Part 1. After you visit Stan's, where are you returning?
  • Minna xDMinna xD84,469
    Posted on 20 October 12 at 21:52Permalink
    You need to talk to Stan about the ship first, then you can talk to the shopkeeper about the credit. And then you have to go back to Stan to haggle for the ship.

Currently the guide tells you to go get the credit ("Enter the shop now and talk to the shopkeeper for some credit and say you have a job.") and only then go to Stan's for the first time ("Get to the southeast on your map, the location called 'Lights'") but it doesn't work in that order.

I don't know an optimal time in the game to go visit Stan for the first time, though, so I don't know where it should be added in the guide. (He was away at first.) I think I went there after Elaine was kidnapped and I needed to start acquiring the ship and crew anyway. In the guide, maybe after you've got your crew (first Otis the prisoner, then the guy on the island, and lastly the swordmaster), you could go to Stan, then the shop, and then Stan again.
  • WarmedxMintsWarmedxMints904,799
    Posted on 23 October 12 at 12:51Permalink
    This guide definitely needs re-writing. It is not only hard to follow but is also contains a lot of errors.

As mentioned by Minna, you cannot talk to the shop keeper about credit until you have seen Stan.

Other examples;

Where it says 'Get down and pull the catapult 2 times' it is referred to as art in the game.

Where it says ' Pick up the pot and a box of cereal (use it in inventory and the toy price as well to get a key)' It should say Open the cereal in your inventory and then open the toy prize to receive the key for the cabinet in the captains quarters.

It looks like whoever wrote this guide either played the game a long time ago or has not played it at all and merely wrote this off the back of another guide.

I appreciate the work done by people in writing these guides but this one has a lot of mistakes and is beyond frustrating to follow.
    www.gtasc.net
    Posted on 23 October 12 at 15:29Permalink
    Thanks both of you for the suggestions. I tried playing through again using the guide, but it may have been easier for me because I've completed it way too many times. I'll go through it again when I get some free time (which will hopefully be before the end of the week, but I can't make any promises!) and make changes as needed.
  • Minna xDMinna xD84,469
    Posted on 25 October 12 at 20:06Permalink
    I read through the whole guide and wrote down some notes now that I still have the game relatively fresh in my memory. Hope these help!

The quotes are from the guide and my comment's below.

Part 1
    "Walk back to the village, go to the suspicious guy, and buy his card."
    - I think he called it a map

"Combine the flower with the ham and feed it to the dogs"
    - It works this way? I cooked the pork in the stew with the flowers... (inside the bar's kitchen)

"Combine the now melting mug with a fresh mug to keep the liquid and use the grog on the prisoners cell"
    - Maybe it could be mentioned that you have to do the combining a few times along the way. I had to do it next to the suspicious guy and then did it, just in case, before entering the prison.

"Use the chicken on the railing above"
    - the railing was called cable in the game

Part 2
    "Open the cabinet to your right, get outside up the crows nest"
    - You need the key from the cereal box to open the cabinet. Actually, the cabinet instruction comes later in the guide ("Head back to your quarters and open the cabinet with the key") so you can remove "open the cabinet to your right" from this step completely.

"Now get down the latch"
    - or hatch? I don't remember

"take gunpowder from the chest"
    - the gunpowder was in the barrels (kegs?)

"dont forget your helmet!"
    - luckily you don't actually have to do anything to put on the helmet! :)

Part 3
    "Get all the way down, open the spyglass, and use gunpowder on the dam and the lens on the sun."
    - I used the flint on the cannonball, instead of the lens. I didn't realise there are several ways to do this!

"Get to the map, go to the "Pond" on the East and pick up the rope."
    - maybe you could clarify that it means the one in the dead guy's hand. I found it a bit hard to see.

"On the map to the south to the "Crack", use the ropes,"
    - first you use a rope on a branch (if you try using it on the tree Guybrush switches to the branch automatically) and then on the sturdy stump on the lower ledge

"don't show the the idol yet!"
    - I guess you mean the idol you pick up next to the giant monkey head? You haven't picked it up yet at this point but I suppose this is a good tip in case the player already has the idol.

"You get captured again by showing the wrong item to them "
    - or you can just tell them to put Guybrush back in the hut, see if he cares :)

"get to the location of the "Ape""
    - it shows up as "monkey" on the map

"hand them the leaflet and get the head"
    - maybe you could clarify it's the leaflet about navigating (the other ads and things in your inventory aren't called leaflets, I guess)

"Upon reaching LeChuck's ship, use the necklace to get invisible and enter the ship."
    - you need to plead, plead, and plead some more to get it from the navigator head first :) At least that's what I did. Maybe there are other ways to get it.

"pick up a feather from the ghost chicken"
    - well, luckily it's on the floor so you don't have to hurt the chicken...

"Use the cooking pot to get spoiled"
    - I used the q-tip :) (monkey head key)

"get up on deck and use the food on the creaking door"
    - it was lard or grease or something like that (I suppose I could use the video walkthrough embedded in the page to check things like this... I haven't watched it yet)
  • N18p73pwn3rN18p73pwn3r1,484,008
    Posted on 17 April 13 at 06:50Permalink
    allright, to my defense if i used the wrong terms or names for items or places... i had the GERMAN version on this game and therefore had to guess the majority of the names and places.. however, thx for the addings on the WT, hope it is complete in some time
    fear my moobie wrath! its nipplepwner for a reason!!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.