Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Michael Myers Debuts in Dead by Daylight

AuthorMessage
WillCBlogs
WillCBlogs
Posted on 09 July 17 at 17:38
Death has come to your little town, Sheriff.

Please click here to read the story: Michael Myers Debuts in Dead by Daylight

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 09 July 17 at 17:51
Nice idea to contend with Jason.
[Insert clever and humorous comment here]
BigNev44
BigNev44
Posted on 09 July 17 at 18:09
Can't wait!
MC PHILABUSTA
MC PHILABUSTA
Posted on 09 July 17 at 18:43
How much? Please be free!
WillCBlogs
WillCBlogs
Posted on 09 July 17 at 18:48
MC PHILABUSTA said:
The steam version comes at an additional cost. Sadly, this may follow suit.
Will Cruz | Newshound | TA Playlist Host |TGN YouTube Team | @willcblogs
MaurickShepherd
Posted on 09 July 17 at 18:51
Good move. Huge reason why Friday the 13th seems to bring in more players is the immediate ability to identify what the game's going to be about: Jason killing people.
SpudimusPrime89
Posted on 09 July 17 at 19:42
I was curious if this would come to the conse version.
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 09 July 17 at 19:42, Edited on 09 July 17 at 19:43 by Allgorhythm
BruceWayne1008 said:
MC PHILABUSTA said:
I thought about getting this game and passed. So did a lot of other people. There are more than five times the tracked gamers that have Friday the 13th: The Game that was released at the same time.

So this is what I think:

If the developers release a free Michael Myers DLC, many of the people who passed on the base game including me might reconsider. In contrast, if I find out that not only do I have to shell out 29.99 USD for the base game--a price I considered high and was one of the reasons I passed on the game--but that I would also have to shell out more cash for the DLC; I would continue to pass on the game.
Belvik
Belvik
Posted on 09 July 17 at 20:08
Allgorhythm said:
BruceWayne1008 said:
MC PHILABUSTA said:
I thought about getting this game and passed. So did a lot of other people. There are more than five times the tracked gamers that have Friday the 13th: The Game that was released at the same time.

So this is what I think:

If the developers release a free Michael Myers DLC, many of the people who passed on the base game including me might reconsider. In contrast, if I find out that not only do I have to shell out 29.99 USD for the base game--a price I considered high and was one of the reasons I passed on the game--but that I would also have to shell out more cash for the DLC; I would continue to pass on the game.
I would be real surprised if it didn't cost $$. It wasn't in the console base game (I assume due to licensing issues) when dlc that released after it on PC was included.
o Heres Jonny o
Posted on 09 July 17 at 21:04
Wow, now I am interested! Might be a gimmick but I sadly have to say, works for me.
Happy Gaming
iScream
Posted on 09 July 17 at 21:10
Allgorhythm said:
BruceWayne1008 said:
MC PHILABUSTA said:

So this is what I think:

I'm with you on that. I don't own either games but if they are going to consistently charge for DLC then I won't bother. I heard that 13th will be getting free updates adding in killers/charcters among other things, if this turns out to be true and it starts getting decent free content then I'll obviously go for 13th as it'll be worth the money. I think both games look good but which ever one gives more content for free seems like an obvious choice to make. I got DbD piss cheap on PC anyway, and I might be likely to pick it up for a decent sale price on condole as well.
Good Day! Cuppa Tea Love?
mcnichoj
mcnichoj
Posted on 09 July 17 at 22:56
Allgorhythm said:
BruceWayne1008 said:
MC PHILABUSTA said:

So this is what I think:

It launched years ago on PC for $20. After the Nurse all additional killers had an additional cost and the 80's clothes pack was at an additional cost. The game plus the DLC if you bought it all when it came out would have run you more than the console version which gives you all of it.
The cost is also that you're getting a way more polished product than the $40 Friday the 13th which has been a constant colossal nightmare.

Pointing out that Friday the 13th has more players and that they came out at "the same time" is highly disingenuous on your part. One had a huge franchise tied in name recognition and a near full three weeks head start release. I'd hope it would sell more otherwise the devs should have been applying for a new job somewhere if they couldn't move copies of a game based off of one of the biggest horror movie franchises.

The main problem I had with your post and the only reason for me to even reply is how you low key demand they include it for free. When the console version came out they said the Halloween DLC would come later and said it could be a free patch or paid DLC. That's nice on their part but it's completely different for a third party unrelated to the game at all to think they should only get something one way and have a complete lack of regard for things like licensing.

-The game is fine
-The price is fine
-Whatever they choose to do with the release of the Halloween DLC is fine
DutRank
DutRank
Posted on 10 July 17 at 00:15
Allgorhythm said:
BruceWayne1008 said:
MC PHILABUSTA said:

So this is what I think:

Uhh the reason more people have played Friday the 13th is because it has a popular horror character behind it. Why wouldn't someone pay the same or less to get Dead by Daylight and the Halloween dlc for the same reason they bought Friday the 13th? At least you would know you're buying a working game when you go with Dead by Daylight.
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 10 July 17 at 00:27, Edited on 10 July 17 at 00:29 by Allgorhythm
mcnichoj said:
The main problem I had with your post and the only reason for me to even reply is how you low key demand they include it for free. When the console version came out they said the Halloween DLC would come later and said it could be a free patch or paid DLC. That's nice on their part but it's completely different for a third party unrelated to the game at all to think they should only get something one way and have a complete lack of regard for things like licensing.

-The game is fine
-The price is fine
-Whatever they choose to do with the release of the Halloween DLC is fine
My argument was primarily supply and demand. I concede most if not all of your points. I considered getting both Friday the 13th: The Game and Dead by Daylight without consideration as to whether either or both would release DLC free or otherwise. I rejected both primarily on price--they looked like good games. I figured Friday the 13th: The Game cost 10 USD more because of the name brand licensing and not because it was 10 USD 'better' than Dead by Daylight.

Dead by Daylight has done poorly at the marketplace while Friday the 13th: The Game with almost 16K tracked gamers has done well. This is in spite of the fact that Friday the 13th: The Game has two defective achievements.

So, when I recommend that Behaviour Interactive release the DLC for free, I am not being petulant but offering this as marketing advice. I think the game is better than its sales indicate but the price is discouraging. So, IMHO Behaviour Interactive could generate a meager amount of additional revenue by selling DLC to some or all of the 2600 tracked gamers on TA who have bought the game or they could generate significant additional revenue by using the DLC with the Mike Myers brand name recognition to generate new interest in the game.

I don't mean to imply that this is the only tactic. I could be wrong. Behaviour Interactive could put the DLC on the marketplace at 10 USD a pop. The Mike Myers name might be enough that renewed interest in the base game is generated and an additional 10K copies are sold along with the DLC. But I don't think this will happen. Behaviour Interactive could put the base game at sale and sell the DLC at list price. That could work but I think my earlier recommendation will be the most effective. "Buy Dead by Daylight Achievements now with the thrilling Mike Myers FREE DLC. People with the game will download and play the DLC generating buzz that with the Mike Myers name brand recognition will generate respectable sales for the base game.
DutRank
DutRank
Posted on 10 July 17 at 01:47
"Dead by Daylight has done poorly at the marketplace while Friday the 13th: The Game with almost 16K tracked gamers has done well. This is in spite of the fact that Friday the 13th: The Game has two defective achievements."

Stop using that. The game was going to sell based on the name alone. I wonder how many of those 16k stopped playing or wish they could get a refund for a still broken game?
WarIsComingHome
Posted on 10 July 17 at 11:12, Edited on 10 July 17 at 11:26 by WarIsComingHome
Judging by the title - I thought I would see Austin Powers character in the game, as Michael 'Mike' Myers is an actor for him
Fanta Morgana
Fanta Morgana
Posted on 10 July 17 at 11:29
Outsider Fenix said:
"Dead by Daylight has done poorly at the marketplace while Friday the 13th: The Game with almost 16K tracked gamers has done well. This is in spite of the fact that Friday the 13th: The Game has two defective achievements."

Stop using that. The game was going to sell based on the name alone. I wonder how many of those 16k stopped playing or wish they could get a refund for a still broken game?
I was also thinking about buying either Friday the 13th or DbD, so I looked into quite a few Youtube videos and different forums/comment sections. From what I got people tend to think that Friday the 13th is more fun but broken, while DbD has more variety and works better but is less fun. So I would assume that even based on its merits as a game more people would buy Friday the 13th as the core experience is better there. So going from that in a couple updates, Friday could be the way superior game. However at the state the games are in as of right now, I would go with DbD.
But as I just put a fuckton of games from my backlog on my tag for the Beandive, I'm not gonna get either right now but probably both at some later point.
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 10 July 17 at 13:31
Outsider Fenix said:
I wasn't commenting on merit. In fact, I considered both games to be worth buying if the price on the games had been 20 USD or less. I was simply commenting on how Dead by Daylight could do better.

If I implied the two games were in competition, I did not mean to. Similar games usually help each other. I, for example, like stealth games. I am not going to say, "Which game should I buy--Deus Ex: Mankind Divided or Dishonored 2 I am going to buy them both.

You're right--many of the gamers who have F13 don't get very far in the game. Using the TA community as a sample, more than half the tracked gamers who have the game have unlocked 10 achievements or fewer out of 52. DbD (bearing in mind it was released three weeks or so after F13) fares even more poorly. More than half the TA tracked gamers with DbD have unlocked 5 or fewer of the 61 achievements without DLC.

The information could mean a number of things related to the merits of the game but I am not going to speculate in that direction. One thing we can conclude objectively is that there is not a lot of what I call 'buzz' where you see a tremendous amount of activity following a game's release. The buzz is not just game play but discussions in blogs, YouTube videos, online forums, etc. I think the absence of 'buzz' in F13 has hurt the sales of DbD. Had people quickly completed or come close to completing F13, I think they would have rushed out to get a similar game, DbD. Instead, they put the game aside and, whatever it was that discouraged players from continuing F13 also discouraged them from purchasing DbD.

F13 did well in terms of sales. The publishers got a return on their investment. So, there is no need for anyone to advise Gun Media how to sell their game. Starbreeze and Behaviour Interactive, in contrast, have not received a return on their investment. My recommendation is that they use the DLC to create the 'buzz' that has been lacking in the game.
Fanta Morgana
Fanta Morgana
Posted on 10 July 17 at 15:09
Allgorhythm said:
Outsider Fenix said:
I wasn't commenting on merit. In fact, I considered both games to be worth buying if the price on the games had been 20 USD or less. I was simply commenting on how Dead by Daylight could do better.

If I implied the two games were in competition, I did not mean to. Similar games usually help each other. I, for example, like stealth games. I am not going to say, "Which game should I buy--Deus Ex: Mankind Divided or Dishonored 2 I am going to buy them both.

You're right--many of the gamers who have F13 don't get very far in the game. Using the TA community as a sample, more than half the tracked gamers who have the game have unlocked 10 achievements or fewer out of 52. DbD (bearing in mind it was released three weeks or so after F13) fares even more poorly. More than half the TA tracked gamers with DbD have unlocked 5 or fewer of the 61 achievements without DLC.

The information could mean a number of things related to the merits of the game but I am not going to speculate in that direction. One thing we can conclude objectively is that there is not a lot of what I call 'buzz' where you see a tremendous amount of activity following a game's release. The buzz is not just game play but discussions in blogs, YouTube videos, online forums, etc. I think the absence of 'buzz' in F13 has hurt the sales of DbD. Had people quickly completed or come close to completing F13, I think they would have rushed out to get a similar game, DbD. Instead, they put the game aside and, whatever it was that discouraged players from continuing F13 also discouraged them from purchasing DbD.

F13 did well in terms of sales. The publishers got a return on their investment. So, there is no need for anyone to advise Gun Media how to sell their game. Starbreeze and Behaviour Interactive, in contrast, have not received a return on their investment. My recommendation is that they use the DLC to create the 'buzz' that has been lacking in the game.
I gonna disagree to some extend.
First of all, I think both games are very well in competition and I think they know it. I think in fact that Gun media rushed the release of Friday the 13th to be ahead of DbD. If you look on youtube for Friday the 13th vs. Dead by daylight you'll find tons of videos with tribal comment sections. You gonna buy both of them, but I doubt most people will. Both games are pretty similar as they are asymetric horror multiplayer games based on/inspired by classic 80s slashers. Maybe they will buy the other one later but for most companies its important that they sell copies quick. Every publisher is pushing for preorders and day one sales. So even if its good for Starbreeze if people buy later they rather have them buy now.

I would agree that there was more buzz around friday the 13th but I guess that is inevitable if the other one is an early access game thats been out for the better part of two years. When do you put your marketing behind the product? When the first version comes out, spread it, when the final version releases or when the console version releases? As a reviewer, when do you cover the game? As a streamer, when do you stream the game? For Friday 13th there was one release and everything buzz concentrated around that time, were every review comes out, every opinion piece, lets play and streams were made. It is a natural downside of a gradual release to have the buzz spread. From my opinion Friday the 13th got quite a lot of Buzz, with having multiple title stories on TA with hundreds of comments, same on other sites, big youtube channels like Angry Joe covering it and so on.

However I would agree that using this DLC to market the game would be a good move, maybe release something like the "Halloween edition" that bundles the game with DLC for a discount and maybe by that point people are craving for another asymetric horror multiplayer game.
mcnichoj
mcnichoj
Posted on 10 July 17 at 16:13
Allgorhythm said:
Where do you keep getting your sales stats from?
Obviously F13 did well because the whole reason the game broke was because the amount of players trying to play on day one broke their initial expectations and estimates.
Not to mention you had us backers support them so that should have taken a load off of the overall cost of the game that they would need to make back.

Now looking at DbD, it's not fair to look at solely sales on a single achievement site that tracks roughly 300k players (That's what it's at right now right? Haven't checked recently.) especially when the game was primarily a PC title.
Looking at the PC stats we see that DbD had roughly 360k players in the past two weeks. So the amount of people that bought the game is higher and then you have to factor in the DLC sales. So the conclusion I can draw is that the console sales are mostly irrelevant for them. They already made a profit a long time ago. They were able to fund the development of multiple DLC's and console ports without having to crowd fund. Obviously developers want people to buy and play their games but however the console version turns out in the end is of no consequence as most of their players and profits were always going to be on PC.

Just to contrast, F13 player count for last two weeks on Steam was 130k. Now that number will go up whenever they finally decide to do a sale but it's also likely many players will stop playing for a multitude of reasons like long match times or lack of diversity for gameplay.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.