Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Valkyria Revolution Review

• Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 13 July 17 at 17:35
    why does she have to have a small head and disgustingly large knocks?
  • TropanTropan1,071,088
    Posted on 13 July 17 at 18:56
    XPhiles in IA said:
    Welcome to the world of clickbait, enticement and sales.
  • Ereaser NLEreaser NL500,762
    Posted on 13 July 17 at 19:40
    The style reminds me A LOT of Rusty Hearts (cancelled MMO)
  • misfit119misfit1191,175,027
    Posted on 13 July 17 at 20:49
    XPhiles in IA said:
    Because it's a lazy animu design. Most of the characters are. You'd swear it's the '90's with all the belts the main character's wearing.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 14 July 17 at 08:19
    Tropan said:
    XPhiles in IA said:
    anyone who is turned on by this should seriously go outside
  • Daelus1Daelus11,032,288
    Posted on 14 July 17 at 09:41
    XPhiles in IA said:
    I see you are not familiar with Japanese games....their gaming culture is riddled with this idiocy...but then again, they must know their audience, so good for them.
  • EarthboundXEarthboundX2,253,621
    Posted on 14 July 17 at 09:47
    XPhiles in IA said:
    Tropan said:
    XPhiles in IA said:
    anyone who is turned on by this should seriously go outside
    Haha, well it's not like people can choose what they find attractive, they simple are.
  • Posted on 14 July 17 at 13:32
    Good jrpgs are dead in the water right now.

- crystallis nova whatever series (ff13, type-0 and 15) have clearly forgotten their roots. Bring the good final fantasy formula back from 12, 10 and earlier.

- blue dragon, I'm having troubles with because the characters really piss me off with their personalities.

I miss losing myself for hours at a time playing golden sun, breath of fire and so on. Modern jrpgs are just too fucking simple with absolutely nothing gripping these days.
  • misfit119misfit1191,175,027
    Posted on 15 July 17 at 06:46, Edited on 15 July 17 at 06:46 by misfit119
    Ostrowidzki1989 said:

- crystallis nova whatever series (ff13, type-0 and 15) have clearly forgotten their roots. Bring the good final fantasy formula back from 12, 10 and earlier.
    It's funny you use those examples considering many people consider 10, its sequel and 12 to be where the series started firmly crawling up its own ass. In a lot of ways those are as divisive as FF13 and 15 when talking to fans of the series.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
  • EarthboundXEarthboundX2,253,621
    Posted on 15 July 17 at 14:08, Edited on 15 July 17 at 14:10 by EarthboundX
    misfit119 said:
    Ostrowidzki1989 said:

It's funny you use those examples considering many people consider 10, its sequel and 12 to be where the series started firmly crawling up its own ass. In a lot of ways those are as divisive as FF13 and 15 when talking to fans of the series.
    Not sure how true that is, 10 is pretty beloved. 13 and 8 are the only FFs I ever hear anyone say sucks.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm652,917
    Posted on 15 July 17 at 15:30, Edited on 15 July 17 at 15:40 by Allgorhythm
    Ostrowidzki1989 said:
    JRPGs are quite strong. I consider Niers: Automata to be the best eighth generation console game regardless of genre. Persona 5 topped the NA/EU game charts. If you want a good JRPG to look forward to, CODE VEIN is available for pre-order. There are three things to bear in mind.

--It is 2017. JRPGs are different from how they looked in the early nineties. Modern JRPGs do not look like Final Fantasy VI just as modern western CRPGs do not look like Wizardry VI.
    --The X1, sadly, is not the best JRPG platform. One has to be platform agnostic to get the best JRPGs.
    --Blockbuster games take much longer to develop. On the western side, I am still waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 that CD Projekt RED announced over five years ago well before The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt was released.

The Yakuza series shows some genre blurring so you may not consider the games to be pure RPGs. However, there has been a lot of genre blurring with western CRPGs as well. Dark Souls Series is so different from FF VI that many on TA don't consider the games in the series to be JRPGs. I'm not going to belabor the point here. Suffice it to say that the series' influences clearly reflect seminal JRPGs that preceded it, its story telling reflects Japanese not western narrative exposition, and its art is based on the conventions of JP manga. Nevertheless, if you want old-school, there are still a few around like the critically acclaimed I am Setsuna or the recently released Tales of Berseria.

The Yakuza series, I am Setsuna, and Tales of Berseria are not available on the 360 or the X1. Neither is the game that I consider to be not only the best recent JRPG but the best recent game regardless of genre--Nier: Automata. There are over a dozen good JRPGs that are coming out on the PS4 between now and the end of the year. If you pick up a Wii U or a Switch, you can play the spectacular Chronicles X and the much anticipated Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
  • MetalNuckMetalNuck737,965
    Posted on 15 July 17 at 17:06
    I really enjoyed VC on my PS4 and was excited for this. After reading reviews and watching gameplay videos I was immediately turned away. I didn't want a Dynasty Warriors type combat system. This is one ill be passing on.

But at least I can enjoy Skies of Arcadia on my Dreamcast, now there is a game i'd like to see come out on modern consoles!
    Posted on 15 July 17 at 17:37
    SlipKnoT 008 said:
    But at least I can enjoy Skies of Arcadia on my Dreamcast, now there is a game i'd like to see come out on modern consoles!
    +1 About 5 years ago, it looked like Skies of Arcadia would come to XBox Live as an HD remake after Jet Set Radio. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. Fortunately, I still have my Dreamcast hooked up and a huge Dreamcast library.
  • EurydaceEurydace652,644
    Posted on 16 July 17 at 01:55
    Why play on Dreamcast when you can play Legends?
    Posted on 16 July 17 at 02:55
    Eurydace said:
    In my opinion, the Dreamcast version plays better. The Gamecube's processing power might be better than the Dreamcast's but not significantly so. Accordingly, a game that was developed for the Dreamcast runs a little more smoothly than the Gamecube port. The graphics, presumably, were enhanced. However, the original game was designed to be compatible with the Dreamcast's VGA box--a feature that the Gamecube does not have. As a result, the Dreamcast's graphics using the VGA box are superior to the supposedly enhanced Gamecube graphics.
  • Facial La FleurFacial La Fleur1,638,884
  • EurydaceEurydace652,644
    Posted on 16 July 17 at 04:43
    Allgorhythm said:
    Eurydace said:
    In my opinion, the Dreamcast version plays better. The Gamecube's processing power might be better than the Dreamcast's but not significantly so. Accordingly, a game that was developed for the Dreamcast runs a little more smoothly than the Gamecube port. The graphics, presumably, were enhanced. However, the original game was designed to be compatible with the Dreamcast's VGA box--a feature that the Gamecube does not have. As a result, the Dreamcast's graphics using the VGA box are superior to the supposedly enhanced Gamecube graphics.
    Sure but Legends had other updates as well. Most significantly a decreased enemy encounter rate. The Dreamcast version had so many random battles that the quality went down.
    Posted on 16 July 17 at 14:09
    Eurydace said:
    Sure but Legends had other updates as well. Most significantly a decreased enemy encounter rate. The Dreamcast version had so many random battles that the quality went down.
    There are a couple of things which are personal to me that factor into my preference. First, I am picky about controllers and much prefer the Dreamcast controllers to the wonky Gamecube controllers. I prefer more battles with good controllers to fewer battles with lame controllers. Second, I don't mind grinding, I find it relaxing. This is fortunate because the version I like best is the original JP Eternal Arcadia where, unlike Skies of Arcadia and both JP & NA Gamecube versions, you can't skip skill animations.
  • Posted on 17 July 17 at 16:19
    Haters are going to say that those bOObs are fake, pussies will say that they are bigger than her head, homo's will say that she has to suffer from back pain laugh
  • TheMaizeTheMaize1,402,293
    Posted on 17 July 17 at 16:34
    Darklord1899 said:
    Jutland is the other name for Denmark.
    That is not correct

Jutland is a part of Danmark..its the western part of the country.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads