The Bargain Bin

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

Xbox 360 Sale Roundup: July 11th, 2017

  • KenH2k4KenH2k4529,592
    Posted on 12 July 17 at 15:59Permalink
    If I haven't played a FF since the first one will I be lost? I bought both but don't want to start yet if I need to read up on them first
  • Stevo6483Stevo6483199,685
    Posted on 12 July 17 at 16:06, Edited on 12 July 17 at 16:07 by Stevo6483Permalink
    KenH2k4 said:
    If I haven't played a FF since the first one will I be lost? I bought both but don't want to start yet if I need to read up on them first
    By "the first one" do you mean the original Final Fantasy (circa 1987), or the first of the XIII trilogy?

    If it's the former, no, all main numbered titles are stand-alone stories in their own worlds. If the latter, the story of FF XIII feeds into XIII-2 & Lightning Returns (XIII-3).
    Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas... Whatever!
  • KenH2k4KenH2k4529,592
    Posted on 12 July 17 at 16:16Permalink
    Stevo6483 said:
    KenH2k4 said:
    If I haven't played a FF since the first one will I be lost? I bought both but don't want to start yet if I need to read up on them first
    By "the first one" do you mean the original Final Fantasy (circa 1987), or the first of the XIII trilogy?

    If it's the former, no, all main numbered titles are stand-alone stories in their own worlds. If the latter, the story of FF XIII feeds into XIII-2 & Lightning Returns (XIII-3).
    I've only played the first on NES. I'll have to look for XIII then or just read the story sometime
  • sanityendssanityends336,077
    Posted on 12 July 17 at 17:11Permalink
    Cornerscout said:
    I'm finally at the point where I already own all the cheap games. Feels good, man. smile
    Well said lol I'm getting there
  • Removed Gamer

    Removed Gamer

    Posted on 12 July 17 at 19:07Permalink
    Getting the first two Sonic games and Sonic the Fighters.laugh
  • sanityendssanityends336,077
    Posted on 13 July 17 at 02:25Permalink
    GV Loc said:
    More jokes of the week.
    Every week you complain. Just don't buy anything. They don't have to put a damn thing on sale. Just like any other company ffs man
  • Stevo6483Stevo6483199,685
    Posted on 13 July 17 at 10:30, Edited on 13 July 17 at 10:34 by Stevo6483Permalink
    KenH2k4 said:
    Stevo6483 said:
    KenH2k4 said:
    If I haven't played a FF since the first one will I be lost? I bought both but don't want to start yet if I need to read up on them first
    By "the first one" do you mean the original Final Fantasy (circa 1987), or the first of the XIII trilogy?

    If it's the former, no, all main numbered titles are stand-alone stories in their own worlds. If the latter, the story of FF XIII feeds into XIII-2 & Lightning Returns (XIII-3).
    I've only played the first on NES. I'll have to look for XIII then or just read the story sometime
    Oh you've missed out on some gems in the meantime, particularly the PS1 era games (7, 8, 9) and one or two others.

    13 isn't as good as many of the older titles and is very linear, so will seem completely different to the original FF, and most of the rest of the franchise for that matter, but it's still a decent enough game in it's own right.

    If you can get hold of some of the older titles and don't mind the retro graphics I'd recommend playing them ahead of 13.
    Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas... Whatever!
  • KenH2k4KenH2k4529,592
    Posted on 13 July 17 at 13:56Permalink
    Stevo6483 said:
    Oh you've missed out on some gems in the meantime, particularly the PS1 era games (7, 8, 9) and one or two others.

    13 isn't as good as many of the older titles and is very linear, so will seem completely different to the original FF, and most of the rest of the franchise for that matter, but it's still a decent enough game in it's own right.

    If you can get hold of some of the older titles and don't mind the retro graphics I'd recommend playing them ahead of 13.
    I didn't have a PlayStation, so when they came out I had to hear about how great they were. I honestly didn't even know that these came out on Xbox, but I just found XIII on eBay for $7.50 shipped, so I'm going to start there
  • Stevo6483Stevo6483199,685
    Posted on 13 July 17 at 14:46Permalink
    XIII was the first one on the Xbox - they had all been Sony-exclusive after falling out with Nintendo. There's a FF7 remake in the works for PS4, and given that we're getting FF games on Xbox now many people are hoping it will make it's way to the One at some point. How it will stand up to the original FF7 is yet to be seen, but you may yet get to experience that one.
    Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas... Whatever!
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm310,780
    Posted on 13 July 17 at 14:48Permalink
    KenH2k4 said:
    I didn't have a PlayStation, so when they came out I had to hear about how great they were. I honestly didn't even know that these came out on Xbox, but I just found XIII on eBay for $7.50 shipped, so I'm going to start there
    Although the game is a little linear, it is one of the great games on the 360. If you want to complete it, there's one achievement you have to be a little mindful of:

    Final Fantasy XIIITreasure HunterThe Treasure Hunter achievement in Final Fantasy XIII worth 335 pointsHeld every weapon and accessory.


    The first time I played (and I have played the full game through half a dozen times) in my zeal to get cash, I sold an item that I later needed to craft one of the items for the treasure hunter achievement. So, follow the guides and don't sell equipment--only material items. If you want to do it completely on your own, because of the games linearity, it's not difficult. The first time I played I played without a guide and would have got the achievement if I had not been impatient.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm310,780
    Posted on 13 July 17 at 14:59Permalink
    Stevo6483 said:
    XIII was the first one on the Xbox - they had all been Sony-exclusive after falling out with Nintendo. There's a FF7 remake in the works for PS4, and given that we're getting FF games on Xbox now many people are hoping it will make it's way to the One at some point. How it will stand up to the original FF7 is yet to be seen, but you may yet get to experience that one.
    I've had the FF7 PS4 remake on pre-order for quite some time now. I pre-ordered it in 2015 when it first became available for pre-order. Currently, it has a 29 Dec 2017 release date. Since the game was originally a PS1 exclusive, it wouldn't surprise me if Sony holds some of the game's rights. The original game later appeared on Windows PCs (but not Linux or Apple PCs AFAIK). I'm hoping that the remake will eventually find its way to all platforms including the Scorpio X1X.
  • KenH2k4KenH2k4529,592
    Posted on 13 July 17 at 17:02Permalink
    Thanks for the advice guys! Sorry to derail the thread :)
  • Boss ComplexBoss Complex630,878
    Posted on 13 July 17 at 21:21, Edited on 13 July 17 at 21:33 by Boss ComplexPermalink
    KenH2k4 said:
    If I haven't played a FF since the first one will I be lost? I bought both but don't want to start yet if I need to read up on them first
    i found a guy on youtube who describes the whole plot of every final fantasy game in depth (with gameplay) the videos are bout 30mins-1hr long depending on which ff game it is.

    i only watched up until ff5 on youtube before i just bought ff13, currently playing thru it now, and I'm pretty sure it is its own storyline, starting with 13 then 13-2 and finally lightning returns.

    also amazon sells new copies of lightning returns for under $10 here in US. i got 13 off eBay for about $5 from goodwill, and bought 13-2 yesterday on eBay for $7.

    never played a final fantasy game before, even though 13 is very linear, i highly recommend it.




    edit: the guys youtube channel is : Oni Black Mage
    BigBoss
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm310,780
    Posted on 13 July 17 at 21:32Permalink
    KenH2k4 said:
    Thanks for the advice guys! Sorry to derail the thread :)
    No problem and you certainly didn't derail the thread. Its purpose, after all, is to help people decide if they want to buy games on sale.
  • Stevo6483Stevo6483199,685
    Posted on 14 July 17 at 09:55Permalink
    Allgorhythm said:
    I've had the FF7 PS4 remake on pre-order for quite some time now. I pre-ordered it in 2015 when it first became available for pre-order. Currently, it has a 29 Dec 2017 release date. Since the game was originally a PS1 exclusive, it wouldn't surprise me if Sony holds some of the game's rights. The original game later appeared on Windows PCs (but not Linux or Apple PCs AFAIK). I'm hoping that the remake will eventually find its way to all platforms including the Scorpio X1X.
    Yeah I had it on PC before I owned a PS1. If there is any exclusivity with the PS4 version I'm hoping it's just a timed deal and we eventually get it on the One - even if we have to wait another year I'll be happy.
    Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas... Whatever!
  • ShokuPanMikeShokuPanMike158,176
    Posted on 14 July 17 at 15:19Permalink
    We can wait for FF7, sure, but the Shadow of the Colossus remake will be a PS4 exclusive and I for one don't want to miss that. Anyone who hasn't experienced this gaming masterpiece will have to join me in saving up for a second console.
    Less work, more play!
  • Stevo6483Stevo6483199,685
    Posted on 14 July 17 at 15:30Permalink
    ShokuPanMike said:
    We can wait for FF7, sure, but the Shadow of the Colossus remake will be a PS4 exclusive and I for one don't want to miss that. Anyone who hasn't experienced this gaming masterpiece will have to join me in saving up for a second console.
    I never got round to playing it but my brother still has it and I've still got my PS2 so I'll save myself some cash. I played ICO though, which was its spiritual predecessor.
    Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas... Whatever!
  • Removed Gamer

    Removed Gamer

    Posted on 15 July 17 at 01:32Permalink
    Is anyone else not seeing the Final Fantasys on sale? Still $19.99 to me.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.