Game Discussion: XCOM 2 Forum

Incorrect achievement flags

AuthorMessage
Lt Davo
Lt Davo
Posted on 16 July 17 at 04:32
Sorry, I'm a long-timer to TA, but I don't know the proper place to go to report incorrect achievement flags.

I realize that there is a note that says achievement flagging isn't complete for this game. I don't know whether that means this is a good time to submit reports like this, or a bad time. At any rate, here's what I have:

Global Resistance - "Versus" flag should not be applied.
The Sun Never Sets - "Versus" flag should not be applied.

The "Time/Date" flag should not be applied to any achievements in the game. All references to dates in the achievement titles and descriptions pertain to the ingame calendar, not the real-world calendar. Similarly, the references to "time" and "timers" refer to an ingame timer, which is actually a turn counter, not something that uses minutes and seconds. There isn't anything in XCom 2 or any of its achievements that is based on real time.

The "Shop" flag - perhaps I don't understand what it is meant for, but there is only one shop in XCom 2 - the Black Market, and it is possible to complete the game and earn every achievement for it without buying anything from the Black Market. The "Shadow Broker" achievement is the only one that requires visiting the Black Market, and that is for selling to it, not buying from it. Again, unless I'm really misunderstanding what this flag means, it shouldn't be on this game at all.

The Missable flag - With a game that has a discrete end and doesn't have a "replay episode" feature, technically every achievement could be considered missable. I'm sure plenty of people have put a lot of thought into how to define missable achievements for games like this. In the case of XCOM 2, there is a discrete point when you are about to begin the final mission where you are warned that no further research, upgrades, etc. can be performed. My feeling would be that any achievements that can still be earned before you cross that very well-marked point of no return no matter what you have done or not done prior to that point aren't missable. Achievements currently flagged as "missable" but which still can be unlocked before this point regardless of anything else you have done or not done are:
Global Resistance
The Sun Never Sets
Brutal Collection
Excalibur
Shen's Legacy
Bring It Down
Locked and Loaded
Rumor Hunter
Like Clockwork
Now I am the Master
JamP0und32
JamP0und32
Posted on 16 July 17 at 04:37, Edited on 16 July 17 at 04:38 by JamP0und32
You can submit flag changes by using the dropdown menu underneath the game's image on the achievement page. Select submit game info, then along the top there will be different tabs, click on achievement flags and submit your changes.

Here's the link for XCOM 2: https://www.trueachievements.com/submitinfo.aspx?gameid=6153
TheMaize
TheMaize
Posted on 16 July 17 at 05:01, Edited on 16 July 17 at 05:03 by TheMaize
Lt Davo said:
Sorry, I'm a long-timer to TA, but I don't know the proper place to go to report incorrect achievement flags.

I realize that there is a note that says achievement flagging isn't complete for this game. I don't know whether that means this is a good time to submit reports like this, or a bad time. At any rate, here's what I have:

Global Resistance - "Versus" flag should not be applied.
The Sun Never Sets - "Versus" flag should not be applied.

The "Time/Date" flag should not be applied to any achievements in the game. All references to dates in the achievement titles and descriptions pertain to the ingame calendar, not the real-world calendar. Similarly, the references to "time" and "timers" refer to an ingame timer, which is actually a turn counter, not something that uses minutes and seconds. There isn't anything in XCom 2 or any of its achievements that is based on real time.

The "Shop" flag - perhaps I don't understand what it is meant for, but there is only one shop in XCom 2 - the Black Market, and it is possible to complete the game and earn every achievement for it without buying anything from the Black Market. The "Shadow Broker" achievement is the only one that requires visiting the Black Market, and that is for selling to it, not buying from it. Again, unless I'm really misunderstanding what this flag means, it shouldn't be on this game at all.

The Missable flag - With a game that has a discrete end and doesn't have a "replay episode" feature, technically every achievement could be considered missable. I'm sure plenty of people have put a lot of thought into how to define missable achievements for games like this. In the case of XCOM 2, there is a discrete point when you are about to begin the final mission where you are warned that no further research, upgrades, etc. can be performed. My feeling would be that any achievements that can still be earned before you cross that very well-marked point of no return no matter what you have done or not done prior to that point aren't missable. Achievements currently flagged as "missable" but which still can be unlocked before this point regardless of anything else you have done or not done are:
Global Resistance
The Sun Never Sets
Brutal Collection
Excalibur
Shen's Legacy
Bring It Down
Locked and Loaded
Rumor Hunter
Like Clockwork
Now I am the Master
I agree with all your first suggestions..

But the missable flag is used on all achievements that can be missed, and will require a new playthrough..
So that bassically means that all achievements that is in any way possible to miss will get the flag.

The fact that the game warns you about a point of no return, doesnt make a difference...there is still a point of no return, after which these achievements cant be earned. So based on the sites definition, those are flagged correctly.

The versus and timeflags shouldnt need an explanation...they are obviously wrong.

While i do understand why the shopflag have been used in some instances i dont agree with them all...
The achievements related to squad upgrades should be flagged, as those you literally buy...but the ones related to weapons and rooms, you dont buy...you build them with a cost. And have to wait for them to do so aswell
Lt Davo
Lt Davo
Posted on 16 July 17 at 18:35, Edited on 17 July 17 at 03:48 by Lt Davo
Thanks to both of you for directing me where to go and for the discussion.

I know TheMaize is probably right about Missable, which is why I didn't submit those, but I still think the flag loses its usefulness when it can apply to any achievement that isn't campaign-guaranteed or cumulative across saves. Good examples of missable achievements in XCom 2 are "The Untouchables," because you can't unlock it if you enable the tutorial, and "Regicide," because there are exactly three chances to earn it no matter what. But "Rumor Hunter," where there are dozens of chances to unlock it up until the moment where you decide to start the final mission and end the game, not so much. For that matter, there are a lot of XCom 2 achievements that should be flagged Missable that aren't, if we're going to be consistent.

As for Shop, I don't know what the purpose of that flag is, but from reading its definition, it would seem to me that it's to alert players that they won't be able to unlock an achievement unless they have already purchased the correct item(s) somewhere else. For example, say there's an achievement for collecting a gold bag hidden behind a wall, and the only way to get through the wall to get at it is with a stick of dynamite that you can only obtain from the merchant in Happytown. If you haven't been to Happytown or didn't buy the dynamite when you were there, then you'll need to make a special trip there and back if you want the gold bag and achievement. But if the meaning of "Shop" is "you have to spend whatever the in-game currency is to get this achievement" - which I don't think it is - then I don't understand what use the flag is or why it was created.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.