Xbox One Forum

Forum for Xbox One related discussions

Leaving XBox on all the time?

AuthorMessage
CardzZilla
CardzZilla
Posted on 16 July 17 at 21:09
i am usually someone that turns off the console when it is not in use. but i am wondering if it matters to not do that?
Msross
Msross
Posted on 16 July 17 at 21:57
Think of your electricity bill!
ypod
ypod
Posted on 16 July 17 at 22:03
I turn my Xbox "off", but leave it plugged in with the instant on mode enabled. The extra power it draws it worth it for me to be able to start it up right away and have updates installed while I'm out of the house.
JumboWario
JumboWario
Posted on 16 July 17 at 23:47
Why would you leave it on?
Game On.
CardzZilla
CardzZilla
Posted on 16 July 17 at 23:53
i'm not worried about the elec consumption.

i'm more concerned if there'd be wear and tear on the console and the external HD.

i ask because i thought i've heard of people doing that with their consoles, plus i know it is common practice with computers.
CrAzEdCaNuCk18
Posted on 17 July 17 at 03:18
I've done this with my 360 and never had any issues, I've also done it with my Xbox one day one, only issue it's having now is the disc drive is gone and I just had to replace the power brick. In my opinion the disc drive was likely to happen either way as my 2 year old started playing with it right before it died.

One thing to watch is dust. It will need a good cleaning fairly often as it will collect huge amounts if you don't watch it.

Personally I'm breaking this habit with the instant -on feature as it really wouldn't make a difference anyways, but my whole family uses it so it probably gets used 20 hours a day.
iMaginaryy
iMaginaryy
Posted on 17 July 17 at 04:44, Edited on 17 July 17 at 04:49 by iMaginaryy
There will almost certainly be wear & tear, as there is with general use.

However, the xbox one is designed pretty well to have minimal wear and tear.

There is also a built in automatic shut off (even if your settings say never shut off automatically) if it begins to overheat, specifically/especially if the power brick begins to overheat. This has happened to me once because I mistakenly placed my power brick on a metal lamp post when it was moved.

The power brick was even fine, and did not need to be replaced.

This is for the original xbox ones, although while I can not confirm, I imagine it should be true for all xbox ones because it is a safety feature and I don't think they would remove it going forward.

The above notes about dust are very true as well, as the particles will both slow down your machine and increase the chances of overheating.

Even with these precautions in place, I would strongly advise not to leave your xbox one on if it is not being used at all - leaving it on for periods at a time to idle something is fine - but leaving it on for no reason at all is entirely pointless, and hurts more than just your console & your finances. You shouldn't even leave a light on in your house if it is not being used. Take this from somebody who has studied electrical engineering, geology, urban planning, government, and computer science.

A 360 on the other hand does not generally have these safety features, and can start a fire or you can fry your motherboard. Which has also happened to me in a several day long gaming session with a group of people. 360 was permanently destroyed.
Fear is the mindkiller.
Saiyan Ruuku
Saiyan Ruuku
Posted on 17 July 17 at 10:27, Edited on 17 July 17 at 10:27 by Saiyan Ruuku
In a nutshell, you'll wear down the Xbox much quicker than if you turned it off and it will break sooner, there are zero reasons to ever keep it on while not in use, even for downloads.
If it works, it isn't stupid.
TheMaize
TheMaize
Posted on 17 July 17 at 11:12, Edited on 17 July 17 at 11:14 by TheMaize
I love how people almost call others idiots for keeping it on...

Maybe YOU dont have a reason to, but others do.

I have more than 600 games installed, and crappy internet....patching and downloading DO affect my actual gamingexperience, so for me its a good thing that it all downloads when im "offline" as a 35gb update easily can take me 6-8 hours to download

And i personally dont give a sh&t about the economics in it.
iMaginaryy
iMaginaryy
Posted on 17 July 17 at 11:22, Edited on 17 July 17 at 11:30 by iMaginaryy
TheMaize said:

I have more than 600 games installed, and crappy internet....patching and downloading DO affect my actual gamingexperience, so for me its a good thing that it all downloads when im "offline" as a 35gb update easily can take me 6-8 hours to download

I personally wasn't calling anyone an idiot, just saying it's unnecessary if you don't have a reason & it's wasteful if you don't have a reason.

Also we're not talking about instant on, and you say yourself you download while "offline". We're talking about leaving it completely on while not being used.

I also have around the same number of games, and don't download while playing. So I understand where you're coming from.

Also just as money doesn't grow on trees, electricity isn't just magic. People work hard to bring it to you, and it's a limited resource to some degree. But again that isn't even the point, the above were talking about leaving it fully on with no reason. Not the same as your case.

Also leaving a PC on is different, because a PC or laptop often "goes to sleep" and into power conservation mode. This is essentially what the xbox one does on instant on. That is totally fine. Leaving your PC or Xbox One fully on on full power would both not be wise. A good PC will probably have a stronger fan system though, or liquid cooling.
Fear is the mindkiller.
TheMaize
TheMaize
Posted on 17 July 17 at 11:35
iMaginaryy said:
TheMaize said:

I personally wasn't calling anyone an idiot, just saying it's unnecessary if you don't have a reason & it's wasteful if you don't have a reason.

Also we're not talking about instant on, and you say yourself you download while "offline". We're talking about leaving it completely on while not being used.

I also have around the same number of games, and don't download while playing. So I understand where you're coming from.

Also just as money doesn't grow on trees, electricity isn't just magic. People work hard to bring it to you, and it's a limited resource to some degree. But again that isn't even the point, the above were talking about leaving it fully on with no reason. Not the same as your case.

Also leaving a PC on is different, because a PC or laptop often "goes to sleep" and into power conservation mode. This is essentially what the xbox one does on instant on. That is totally fine. Leaving your PC or Xbox One fully on on full power would both not be wise. A good PC will probably have a stronger fan system though, or liquid cooling.
I wasnt really referring to you..and i do agree with all your points..
I was more poking to the guy who replied before me, who said there were absolutely zero reasons to do so...

Zero reasons for him maybe...but not in general...

I might have overreacted a bit. And he might not have meant it the way i interpreted it.
But i see it often..especially in the articles about sales..."sales are retarded...you have to be an idiot to buy digital...same game is $5 secondhand in my local gamestop"
People who comment solely on their situation, and talk down to people who dont have the same options. Or are not in the same economical situation.
iMaginaryy
iMaginaryy
Posted on 17 July 17 at 11:57, Edited on 17 July 17 at 11:59 by iMaginaryy
Oh yeah very true indeed, people often assume way too much, oversimplify, forget to look from other's perspectives, or just like to complain.

100% agree!

And I was mostly just speaking in response to you but for general benefit as well!

toast
Fear is the mindkiller.
CardzZilla
CardzZilla
Posted on 17 July 17 at 14:46
thank you all for the discussion. regarding power bricks, i have an xbox one s, no power brick on it. doesn't even have a ground plug, just a normal 2 prong plug.

my reasoning for leaving on is my internet is even worse than maize's and sometimes the router address it picks up on after being shut off isn't the optimal one.

however, i forgot about instant on.

so you all are saying the use of instant on is similar to a sleep mode on a computer?
TheMaize
TheMaize
Posted on 17 July 17 at 14:51
yeah...and with instant on, it still downloads in the back...just remember to also click for the option NOT to turn off external harddrives while in instant on mode
GRAND NOBLE
GRAND NOBLE
Posted on 17 July 17 at 15:04
I play my XB1 anywhere between like 6-14 hours a day. And usually all in one-go.
I try to let it sleep as much as possible. I don't even like to watch netflix/hulu on XB1 because I'm already on it so much.

I used to use the instant-on function. But it seems to mess up my XB1 reading discs.... sometimes it just won't read discs. Or sometimes it will read 360 discs but not XB1 discs...
www.instagram.com/grandnoble
CardzZilla
CardzZilla
Posted on 17 July 17 at 16:56
TheMaize said:
yeah...and with instant on, it still downloads in the back...just remember to also click for the option NOT to turn off external harddrives while in instant on mode
i guess i did not see the option with the external harddrive. can you maybe point it out please?

GRAND NOBLE said:
I play my XB1 anywhere between like 6-14 hours a day. And usually all in one-go.
I try to let it sleep as much as possible. I don't even like to watch netflix/hulu on XB1 because I'm already on it so much.

I used to use the instant-on function. But it seems to mess up my XB1 reading discs.... sometimes it just won't read discs. Or sometimes it will read 360 discs but not XB1 discs...
so you think instant on is the problem you are having. did it resolve after using normal on/off? and do you have an opinion on what was the cause of the instant on problems?
iMaginaryy
iMaginaryy
Posted on 17 July 17 at 23:27, Edited on 17 July 17 at 23:30 by iMaginaryy
GRAND NOBLE said:

Yeah rarely my disc drive goofs up too, you can just hard reset it by holding the power button until it shuts off though and that usually fixes it. If that doesn't work, you can also unplug. If that doesn't work, there is a manual release on the left side which you can google.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/manually-eje...

I believe there is a built in power brick for the 1S and X and so. So same idea and likely has the same safety features. I'm not as familiar with those yet, and have meant to look into it as I've discussed it before with friends.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/ventilation
Fear is the mindkiller.
GRAND NOBLE
GRAND NOBLE
Posted on 18 July 17 at 15:34
CardzZilla said:
so you think instant on is the problem you are having. did it resolve after using normal on/off? and do you have an opinion on what was the cause of the instant on problems?
I don't think that, that's what xbox support told me. And sometimes it works. sometimes it doesn't. I don't think it's the sole problem TBH, i think it's a combo of things. I also have to dump my cache on the bluray every so often, even though i don't watch blurays. it's fucking ridiculous.

iMaginaryy said:
Yeah rarely my disc drive goofs up too, you can just hard reset it by holding the power button until it shuts off though and that usually fixes it. If that doesn't work, you can also unplug. If that doesn't work, there is a manual release on the left side which you can google.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/manually-eje...
Hard resetting doesn't help, neither dows unplugging the system. Most of time I have to DELETE MY ENTIRE PROFILE and reload it. It's the F**ing worse.

But my problem is not NOT-being able to get my disc out. It's the disc reader not reading discs. they go in and come out just fine.
www.instagram.com/grandnoble
DelMauler
DelMauler
Posted on 18 July 17 at 16:19
Only reset once in a while, never turn it off. 360 and the One and my 360 is still working (though shut off now since BC arrived.)
CardzZilla
CardzZilla
Posted on 18 July 17 at 18:42
i don't even know how to clear my cache.

also, deleting a profile and reloading sounds like something bad?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.