Forum for the Leap Frog 2017 Contest

Leap Frog 2017 - Discussion

• planting42planting422,094,233
    Posted on 22 July 17 at 03:29
    Feel free to discuss the 2017 Leap Frog event here.
    https://www.trueachievements.com/event/GTASC-2017
  • thearyadragonthearyadragon2,824,032
    Posted on 22 July 17 at 03:35, Edited on 22 July 17 at 03:44 by thearyadragon
    toast
    Edit: sadly I'll be gone mostly with no internet for the first half of August. I'll have to find a way though...
    Posted on 22 July 17 at 03:44
    Be aware that this is somewhat under construction still so please bear with us.

The start date is tentative and we have not determined what the prize will be at this time,
  • thearyadragonthearyadragon2,824,032
    Posted on 22 July 17 at 03:49
    planting42 said:
    Be aware that this is somewhat under construction still so please bear with us.

The start date is tentative and we have not determined what the prize will be at this time,
    Its fine lol. I don't do these competitions for prizes and depending on the date I may or may not do this one at all redface
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 22 July 17 at 04:52
    #TeamSporl is back and ready to win this time rock
    The people's champion! Well done for an amazing run, and for croaking with dignity. #TeamSporl4lyf - MalibuStacey85
  • eayragteayragt376,212
    Posted on 22 July 17 at 05:46
    I think repeating Day 37 for me with both new rules and the easy Project Spark / Pool Nation achievements used up last year may not happen. By about 28, 29 days!!!
    Say everything with a smile
  • DANIELJJ14DANIELJJ141,698,696
    Posted on 22 July 17 at 12:03
    SMITE! That is all. smile
  • Posted on 22 July 17 at 16:50
    I'm down for about a 7 day run.
  • angelskangelsk1,459,042
    Posted on 22 July 17 at 17:25
    Doh! I was hoping for UHH not LeapFrog :( :P
  • AhayzoAhayzo1,665,109
    Posted on 22 July 17 at 17:28
    I like the mixture of increases to both required ratio and required number of unlocks. I think it'd be better to do it every time the ratio increases by one (so every five days instead of eight), but I like it. Should definitely help keep the length of the contest down.
    #mentallypudding
  • JimbotUKJimbotUK3,716,644
    Posted on 22 July 17 at 20:05
    Love the pacing of this version of leapfrog. You will be in the business end of the contest very quickly compared to last year. Thumbs up from me!
  • InfamousInfamous2,538,082
    Posted on 22 July 17 at 22:57
    Another 120 days lets gooooo laugh

Looking forward to the new format, though it seems it will be less about going for the really high ratio stuff and instead focusing on lots of mid-ratio (7-9) achievements. Either way will be interesting, been waiting for this one. :D
  • PlayUltimate711PlayUltimate7111,611,449
    Posted on 23 July 17 at 04:29
    I will have fun with it, but no way in hell am I making a serious run again. Last year wasn't fun for the final few weeks. I have better things to do with my time. I would probably struggle to compete anyways since I have so many high ratio achievements.
    I AM PEKE?
  • Posted on 23 July 17 at 16:20
    I can't remember. What's the difference between this year's format and the last one?
    "Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." — Mark Twain
  • AhayzoAhayzo1,665,109
    Posted on 23 July 17 at 16:37
    Mr Granstaff said:
    I can't remember. What's the difference between this year's format and the last one?
    This year is a mix of the last two years. In 2015, you had to unlock 1 achievement the first day and the number you had to unlocked went up by 1 every day. In 2016, you had to unlock 1 achievement with a 1.0+ ratio the first day, and the required ratio went up by 0.2 everyday, but it was always just one achievement. Now, it's a combination where the ratio increases by 0.2 every day, but the number of achievements needed increases by 1 every 7 days.

ORIGENxGarboMan said:
    I will have fun with it, but no way in hell am I making a serious run again. Last year wasn't fun for the final few weeks. I have better things to do with my time. I would probably struggle to compete anyways since I have so many high ratio achievements.
    I don't think this year will be nearly as problematic as the last two years, since you have to increase both ratio and number of achievements unlocked. Yes, past years were nuts because of things like SMITE.

2015 Day 30: 30 achievements
    2016 Day 30: 1 achievement, 6.8+ ratio
    2017 Day 30: 4 achievements, 6.8+ ratio

I don't see it coming close to the length of the last two years (can't remember how long 2016 went but I think 2015 was somewhere around 3 months)
    #mentallypudding
  • Posted on 23 July 17 at 16:42
    Ah. I see that now on the Hub. Very interesting. Thanks for clarifying.

As usual, it seems like I picked the wrong time to start chiseling away at a good candidate for these events, like, Fighter's Uncaged. Could've used those high ratios too. Heh.
    "Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." — Mark Twain
    Posted on 23 July 17 at 21:55
    alklein92201 said:
    ORIGENxGarboMan said:
    I don't think this year will be nearly as problematic as the last two years, since you have to increase both ratio and number of achievements unlocked. Yes, past years were nuts because of things like SMITE.

2015 Day 30: 30 achievements
    2016 Day 30: 1 achievement, 6.8+ ratio
    2017 Day 30: 4 achievements, 6.8+ ratio

I don't see it coming close to the length of the last two years (can't remember how long 2016 went but I think 2015 was somewhere around 3 months)
    It's not only the length that's the problem. It was spending day after day forcing myself to grind things that weren't fun. I have better things to do with my time than spend 20 hours driving around in circles in Elite Dangerous JUST for a contest. It will still go long enough that if I commit to making a run at it I won't be having fun long before the contest is over.
    I AM PEKE?
  • AhayzoAhayzo1,665,109
    Posted on 23 July 17 at 22:14
    Fair enough. A lot of the complaints I saw last time were more "why isn't the contest over" and less "this is taking a lot of effort for nothing", so I figured that was the big issue.

That said, I don't know why doing donuts in space for 20 hours isn't ridiculously fun!!! I mean, in real life maybe...
    #mentallypudding
    Posted on 23 July 17 at 23:13
    Yeah, it's not even like I didn't get anything out of it. I did have a lot of fun doing a lot of the achievements for leap frog, but when it starts feeling like work it's not so much fun. I would wake up every day and I knew if I wanted to keep pace I needed to play the shit out of games that I didn't want to play or do things that I didn't want to do in games that I actually wanted to play.

I was just so burnt out by the end. It was a ton of work.
    I AM PEKE?
    Posted on 24 July 17 at 02:40, Edited on 24 July 17 at 02:44 by planting42
    The idea was to preserve the fun of the event but also ensure that title updates weren't the go-to when it got boiling.

alklein92201 said:
    I like the mixture of increases to both required ratio and required number of unlocks. I think it'd be better to do it every time the ratio increases by one (so every five days instead of eight), but I like it. Should definitely help keep the length of the contest down.
    In retrospect, that does make good sense as well. We were trying to combine the elements of the previous events in a simple way so folks would mentally remember - oh yeah, its 2 achievements daily now. Going off the week seemed natural at the time. Whole ratios would also have been good. However, this enables the 'casual' crowd a bit more fun before elimination. Chances are that most will make at least a week if not 2 before petering out.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads