Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Ranking The Modern Telltale Games Library

• Groudon199Groudon199500,867
    Posted on 24 July 17 at 15:33Permalink
    I thought Walking Dead S1 was meh, probably because I generally don't play games with horror elements (and I don't do first-person zombie stuff, even if it's just QTEs). WD:Michonne was better because I was familiar with the character and it didn't have the WD1-E2 stuff that made me stop playing. As a Minecraft fan, I kinda liked MC:Story Mode, though I don't think a non-MC fan would get much enjoyment out of it.

Speaking of which, Game of Thrones was boring. It felt like it was made solely for fans of the TV show (I'm not one of them, and while the game convinced me to give the show a try, the third explicit scene convinced me to stop), and I gave less and of a shit about the characters as the episodes went on. The only reason I played it is I got the Telltale Bundle free from XBL Rewards.

Tales from the Borderlands, on the other hand, was actually really fun, even though I knew nothing about the series going in and I still have no desire to play the main games. The Wolf Among Us was kinda the same way; not knowing the Fables comics, but knowing the characters most of them are based on. Batman was also good, and I knew next to nothing about the characters' backstories.
  • TheEmuCrew43TheEmuCrew43412,047
    Posted on 24 July 17 at 16:54Permalink
    I pretty much agree with this list except that I think TWAU should be in tier one. It is not as tear-jerking as TWD S1 or as humorous as Tales but the story is absolutely incredible. It doesn't hurt that Bigby is an absolute badass!
    Spartans Never Dies...They Just fall in love with Artificial Intelligence.
  • Posted on 24 July 17 at 18:56, Edited on 24 July 17 at 19:09 by Silicon IcemanPermalink
    Although I haven't played Tales from the Borderlands yet, I would argue that Wolf Among Us deserves to be in the Tier 1 with The Walking Dead (s1).

Also, I have to respectfully disagree. Minecraft Story Mode was one of their better stories (two, actually). I say this because Telltale makes fantastic use of the license. This is no easy task as it is as difficult as making a compelling story out of a huge bucket of Legos.

The story was kid-friendly (likely their core audience), while not insulting the intelligence of adults. With the exception of a few ancillary people, most of the characters felt original and authentic (which is more than I can say for the Game of Thrones [Telltale] cast).

The Telltale Achilles' Heel (the fact that none of your decisions REALLY matter) is downplayed in Minecraft Story Mode so that it doesn't interfere with the narrative.

Hell, they make you care about a pig that doesn't even talk! That kind of thing hasn't happened since The Simpson's Movie.
  • H1DD3NH1DD3N219,408
    Posted on 24 July 17 at 19:08Permalink
    Jurassic park doesn't take place in modern Telltale. And how is it that nobody enjoyed Minecraft? I loved all the games but I thought they did very well bringing Minecraft into the Mic! Nobody agrees?
  • Posted on 24 July 17 at 19:10Permalink
    H1DD3N said:
    Jurassic park doesn't take place in modern Telltale. And how is it that nobody enjoyed Minecraft? I loved all the games but I thought they did very well bringing Minecraft into the Mic! Nobody agrees?
    I guess I should have written my post sooner, ha, ha!
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant462,534
    Posted on 24 July 17 at 19:19Permalink
    H1DD3N said:
    Take a look at the other comments and you will see that many others agree Minecraft was good.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 24 July 17 at 19:42Permalink
    LuckyConquerer2 said:
    H1DD3N said:
    Take a look at the other comments and you will see that many others agree Minecraft was good.
    minecraft was good? LOL no it wasn't. Microsoft is a joke, they released the game on disc even though only 1 episode was out than they added another 3 episodes so even if you owned the dis you still had to buy the 3 episodes

minecraft + microsoft = joke
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant462,534
    Posted on 24 July 17 at 19:51Permalink
    xONLY INHUMANx said:
    LuckyConquerer2 said:
    H1DD3N said:
    minecraft was good? LOL no it wasn't. Microsoft is a joke, they released the game on disc even though only 1 episode was out than they added another 3 episodes so even if you owned the dis you still had to buy the 3 episodes

I have no interest in Minecraft but many people have enjoyed it, which is contrary to H1DD3N's claim that nobody agrees it was good. Whilst I would never play it, others loved it. Each to their own.

davefrendy said:
    I actually found minecraft quite fun and would rate it higher, though only played episode one. The story might not be as good, but I liked the fact that it was 'lighthearted and fun' and offered a bit more through the crafting mini games.
    Silicon Iceman said:
    Also, I have to respectfully disagree. Minecraft Story Mode was one of their better stories (two, actually). I say this because Telltale makes fantastic use of the license. This is no easy task as it is as difficult as making a compelling story out of a huge bucket of Legos.

The story was kid-friendly (likely their core audience), while not insulting the intelligence of adults. With the exception of a few ancillary people, most of the characters felt original and authentic (which is more than I can say for the Game of Thrones [Telltale] cast).

The Telltale Achilles' Heel (the fact that none of your decisions REALLY matter) is downplayed in Minecraft Story Mode so that it doesn't interfere with the narrative.

Hell, they make you care about a pig that doesn't even talk! That kind of thing hasn't happened since The Simpson's Movie.
    Cemetery Girls said:
    "Minecraft: Story Mode - A Telltale Games Series is clearly the weakest link"

And that's where I stopped reading. It's my personal favorite.
    cheeky 315 said:
    Pretty much agree with rankings but i would have minecraft story mode much higher, and wolf among us was tier 3 at best.
    SnipedByAGir1 said:
    I agree with this. Not understanding how Minecraft: Story Mode could rank so low. I played through it once with my kids where we made joint decisions together and it was so great. I didn't think I would like it but I loved it. Don't even get me started with how much my kids loved it. When Season 2 came out the other day my youngest daughter was running around the house whooping it up while I downloaded it. She was super excited to play it.
  • Nekro NekoNekro Neko381,706
    Posted on 24 July 17 at 20:43Permalink
    Erm, Back to the Future?
    www.cyberscore.me.uk
  • fatDaddy21fatDaddy21393,534
    Posted on 24 July 17 at 21:22Permalink
    I absolutely hate TellTale games, but did enjoy TWAU.
  • LordSamoni1LordSamoni1805,336
    Posted on 24 July 17 at 22:28Permalink
    My top 3 ---- Tales form the Borderlands (Brooooooo!) TWD S1, Wolf among us
  • troyoytroyoy620,011
    Posted on 24 July 17 at 22:48Permalink
    I would give them all a 10 for maximum boring fall to sleep Gamerscore whore games. I cant even play them they are so boring. Not as boring as farming simulator but very boring.
    I have 9 usa 360`s set up, 4 pal 360`s, 3 japan 360`s and 2 xboxones set up and the girlfriend calls me crazy.
  • AnxsighetyAnxsighety1,220,931
    Posted on 25 July 17 at 01:22Permalink
    TWD: New Frontier and the second worst Telltale game, Talss From the Borderlands both in the top?

Hell no.
  • blueracer442blueracer442516,398
    Posted on 25 July 17 at 02:21Permalink
    It's a toss up for me between TWAU, TWD S1, and TftB. Though i ended up costing TWUA. Can't wait for season 2
  • NerdrageXNerdrageX535,214
    Posted on 25 July 17 at 04:32Permalink
    I voted Wolf Among Us because I figured Walking Dead season 1 would be winning in a runaway.

But really, there's no wrong answers here.
  • Ereaser NLEreaser NL355,645
    Posted on 25 July 17 at 11:13Permalink
    My only alterations would be:

- Game of Thrones to Tier 5
    - Wolf Among Us to Tier 1
  • Clever JakeClever Jake483,231
    Posted on 25 July 17 at 11:39, Edited on 25 July 17 at 11:40 by Clever JakePermalink
    xONLY INHUMANx said:
    LuckyConquerer2 said:
    H1DD3N said:

My kids both loved Minecraft story mode, suggests to me that they were the target audience, so just because I (and you) didn't love it, doesn't mean it wasn't good, it just means I was playing a kids game laugh
  • BLAZE VIIBLAZE VII406,956
    Posted on 25 July 17 at 12:07Permalink
    Classic always the first...
    "A person's life is not defined by age, but by the choices they make." - Sheva Alomar (Resident Evil 5)
  • ShinnizleShinnizle787,535
    Posted on 25 July 17 at 18:37Permalink
    Grimace221 said:
    Probably because it has not been released on Xbox. Being that this is a site dedicated to Xbox, they tend to keep the polls Xbox related.
    Yeah, but it wasn't a poll. It was just an introduction listing what TT did before The Walking Dead, and in my opinion, they forgot the best one.
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • The YiddlerThe Yiddler680,387
    Posted on 25 July 17 at 21:14Permalink
    Why no option for dislike them all?

All these games are the same thing just skinned differently. Games are not enjoyable to me and I struggle to play 20 minutes of them before I get so bored and turn it off.

Do not see the fascination with them whatsoever.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.