Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

EA Announces Several Server Shutdowns Coming in October

• Posted on 27 July 17 at 02:42
    KenH2k4 said:
    Outsider Fenix said:
    WheresMyCodeine said:
    should be no such thing at all. The money they make and yet they turn off servers when they can keep them online, all companies who do this need to be lawsuited and call out.
    This is one of the most asinine things I've ever heard. You know who gets the thought "Oh I reeeaaalllyy wanna play some Tiger Woods 12 online right now"? No one other than achievement hunters who wasted 6 years of time not completing the game. Play your games or get over it.
    Not everyone has unlimited time. There are plenty of games I've never finished from the past 20 years and a lot that I have but haven't touched. I get your point, but you can't expect everyone to be done with every game from the past decade
    Three other reasons:

1) You don't care about having the latest version and are happy with the one you have.

2) It's the version also owned by friends who may not all own newer versions

3) Your team/player was particularly good when that game was released.

Golfers performance (and thus video game stats) change throughout their careers, then they eventually retire - but their fans can play on as them. Same with tennis players. In team sports if you support a team, esp a team which is not perennially dominant, it's great when you have those periods when your team is great. When you have great attack and defense with players you love. However if that is followed up by loss of good players and the onset of bad times then hell yeah you'll play the old games! Remember the good times and beloved players, not the crap team with strikers who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo and that defender with the ball control skills of a traffic cone and agility of an oil tanker.
  • Posted on 27 July 17 at 03:14
    Actually not a terrible server closure for the sports games. I mean, they are 5 or 6 years old so they have lasted way longer than some others, lol.
  • AhayzoAhayzo1,191,689
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 03:57
    IAteA11ThePies said:
    strikers who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo and that defender with the ball control skills of a traffic cone and agility of an oil tanker.
    That was... wow. I'm going to have to remember those.
    #mentallypudding
  • ThaHawkaThaHawka572,211
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 04:11
    I'm keen to work on the online components for both of those Burnout games!! Shoot me a PM!
    I have an extensive collection of games, so don't hesitate to message me if you see a game in my game collection that you'd like to work on together!
  • Posted on 27 July 17 at 04:15
    I unlocked the burnout crash mp achievements today after reading this plus 8 other achievements to boot. Fun little game. Burnout revenge I believe was a 360 launch title for the online servers to still be up in 2017 is actually surprising since its an ea game . The online achievements for that game must definitely be boosted
  • GerbasgamerGerbasgamer1,788,523
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 04:42
    Many don't seem to realize that exactly 0 people play the MP in those games.
    There's no reason to keep them open an no reason to complain when you never use these servers.
  • MDArcadeMDArcade157,855
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 04:43
    IAteA11ThePies said:
    KenH2k4 said:
    Outsider Fenix said:
    WheresMyCodeine said:
    should be no such thing at all. The money they make and yet they turn off servers when they can keep them online, all companies who do this need to be lawsuited and call out.
    This is one of the most asinine things I've ever heard. You know who gets the thought "Oh I reeeaaalllyy wanna play some Tiger Woods 12 online right now"? No one other than achievement hunters who wasted 6 years of time not completing the game. Play your games or get over it.
    Not everyone has unlimited time. There are plenty of games I've never finished from the past 20 years and a lot that I have but haven't touched. I get your point, but you can't expect everyone to be done with every game from the past decade
    Three other reasons:

1) You don't care about having the latest version and are happy with the one you have.

2) It's the version also owned by friends who may not all own newer versions

3) Your team/player was particularly good when that game was released.

Golfers performance (and thus video game stats) change throughout their careers, then they eventually retire - but their fans can play on as them. Same with tennis players. In team sports if you support a team, esp a team which is not perennially dominant, it's great when you have those periods when your team is great. When you have great attack and defense with players you love. However if that is followed up by loss of good players and the onset of bad times then hell yeah you'll play the old games! Remember the good times and beloved players, not the crap team with strikers who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo and that defender with the ball control skills of a traffic cone and agility of an oil tanker.
    None of that is relevant except the second point for casual players. For people on this site who are only complaining because "muh cheevos!" none of those points are relevant. If someone cared they would have the game done already. Or they'll use the heads up to go ahead and finish the online achievements.
  • matdanmatdan800,568
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 05:01
    Gerbasgamer said:
    There's no reason to keep them open an no reason to complain when you never use these servers.
    I can think of 200+ games that no-ones plays yet have servers, not really a good excuse to close servers.

Of course people use those servers to boost however this mostly EA's fault for tacking on MP achievements to things they never support, nearly all of these games have had services shut off a few months after launch. If they don't plan on supporting the servers either provide alternative requirements for achievements or leave them out of online services.

However we know that ain't happening FUT, HUT and MUT all make them a fortune, so tacking on achievements to it is the perfect way to get people to play those modes.
    Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon, Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath!
  • Tatl360Tatl360344,285
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 05:06
    It's a shame for games so popular. A slap in the face of the soccer fans.
    I don't like soccer and makes no difference to me, but this is somewhat related to the soccer culture I think. Sports in general, where people don't care about the older season/years whatever. Some posts here indicate that. If the playeer don't care, EA would be the last caring about it.
  • NoApologies1988NoApologies19881,557,147
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 05:25
    Top Spin 2 servers are still up EA.

Just saying.
  • LordMakanakiLordMakanaki2,431,217
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 05:30
    EA deserves the hate for having discontinued achievements long before the server closures.
    Fifa 13,14,15
    NBA live 15,16
    To name some that i know of...
  • New ParalyzerNew Paralyzer1,180,808
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 05:41
    Kennyannydenny said:
    FlutteryChicken said:
    Didn't Burnout Revenge get shutdown in 2012?
    It did, but three weeks later the servers came back online and stayed online up until this point. This is the final, permanent end of the Burnout Revenge servers smile
    I remember that lol we were all so confused haha
  • Posted on 27 July 17 at 06:42
    Gerbasgamer said:
    There are online games played every day on Grand Slam Tennis still and I know that far better than you do as I play all the time, all the other games being closed are completely fine as there are newer and better versions of them but everyone including myself who's affected by GST's server closure has no other option than to jump to Top Spin (and TS4 only has unranked matches available) and after years of playing GST most of them will either struggle to adapt or simply not bother.
    Grand Slam Tennis 2 world #1
  • ShulammShulamm1,260,909
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 08:00
    Young and Dope said:
    My heart dropped when I seen Burnout but it's not Burnout Paradise so we're good :)
    Two more years at best, so enjoy it while you can.
  • LFC NEMESISLFC NEMESIS2,462,892
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 08:37
    You may as well include EA Sports UFC in this list as well. It's impossible to find online games, whether legit or trying to boost it.

I have 6 online achievements left for the game and nobody on this site has unlocked them since October/November last year. Coincidentally around the same time EA Sports UFC 2 was added to the vault.

Anyway, to any completionists out there, I would avoid the first EA UFC game completely.
  • AlahertAlahert1,362,997
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 10:02
    The servers have been up for a very long time, it's the life cycle of everything, a beginning and an end! compute
    TWiN$ 777
  • Posted on 27 July 17 at 10:13
    NoApologies1988 said:
    Top Spin 2 servers are still up EA.

Just saying.
    That's 2K that owns Top Spin 2's servers. Not EA.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 27 July 17 at 11:33
    Awful. Wish there was some way to eliminate this problem altogether.
  • Slim PanatellaSlim Panatella1,339,766
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 12:38
    Still waiting for them to fix the unobtainable achievement in Need For Speed Carbon, and I'll probably be still waiting for them to fix it in 2027........
  • USMC 90 95USMC 90 95548,881
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 13:36
    Tatl360 said:
    It's a shame for games so popular. A slap in the face of the soccer fans.
    I don't like soccer and makes no difference to me, but this is somewhat related to the soccer culture I think. Sports in general, where people don't care about the older season/years whatever. Some posts here indicate that. If the playeer don't care, EA would be the last caring about it.
    laugh
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.