Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

EA Announces Several Server Shutdowns Coming in October

• romisthebestromisthebest475,572
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 13:58Permalink
    I'd love to do the online in Burnout Revenge but the servers have been unreachable for 2 years for me... Oh well might give it a last try before October then. If anyone wants to set up a session, I'll join. Thanks for the info anyway.
  • Posted on 27 July 17 at 14:35, Edited on 27 July 17 at 15:07 by MavericK XVIIPermalink
    call me a dumbass here, but when they shut the servers does this mean you can still play the Single player?

I always wanted to pick up Grand Slam Tennis 2 again as I never really played it, but wondering if it's gonna be worth it or not? Like for example can I still get achievements when the servers drop?

I'm not fussed about the Online bit, just wanna play Single Player
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant482,161
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 15:31Permalink
    Single player will not be impacted by online servers.
  • Posted on 27 July 17 at 15:42Permalink
    LuckyConquerer2 said:
    Single player will not be impacted by online servers.
    Provided that the Single Player isn't gated by an online connection. None of these should be, however - FIFA 13 (WP) was flagged as Online Required, but I've verified it's not.
  • The NotoThe Noto361,298
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 16:22Permalink
    I've set up a session on Monday (8/1) for Burnout Revenge.

I haven't tried connecting for a over a year though, but it's worth a shot. I only need 4 more online achievements
  • Posted on 27 July 17 at 16:29, Edited on 27 July 17 at 16:34 by Leo AscendentPermalink
    BulgyDragonZord said:
    Got to admit, they've been a bit leanent with server closures until this year where they've decided to cut down a decent amount. This being the worst list of closures among this year to-date.

To the point, some of these games already have discontinued achievements. If they we're fixed on a temporary basis, I would pick-up some of these and get them done. I'm looking at you Tiger Woods.

And the funniest thing is I only looked at Grand Slam Tennis 2 list just 1 hour before this annoucement was made on TA. Spooky.
    I stopped caring about any of the EA sports games after Tiger Woods.... 06 or 07 glitched on me, had to unlock everything to unlock one last thing for the 100%, I met the requirements, but never got the achievement.... glitchfest games with crap servers.... no thanks.

Tatl360 said:
    It's a shame for games so popular. A slap in the face of the soccer fans.
    I don't like soccer and makes no difference to me, but this is somewhat related to the soccer culture I think. Sports in general, where people don't care about the older season/years whatever. Some posts here indicate that. If the playeer don't care, EA would be the last caring about it.
    Funny thing is, they close the servers to push new games (and with that, new stats, players, etc), but then turn around and offer a vintage pack or some nonsense where you can use a player from year 20XX, allowing you to essentially use the player from their older games, in a new game.... all about pushing product and making money. They're a business so I get it, but most company's will use lube, EA just makes you bite the pillow.
    youtube.com/leoascendent - Currently making Minecraft and Dungeon Defenders II Achievement videos, be sure to stop by and support your fellow hunters!
  • Strategy OneStrategy One662,448
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 18:45, Edited on 27 July 17 at 18:46 by Strategy OnePermalink
    This is why EA is known for server closures. If you have an EA game, get that shit done.
  • blueracer442blueracer442523,858
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 18:57Permalink
    Strategy One said:
    This is why EA is known for server closures. If you have an EA game, get that shit done.
    Except all of these games are at least 4 years old. 2K is way worse as they close servers after 1-2 years. EA used to be much worse but they have eased up quite a bit.
  • Posted on 27 July 17 at 19:07, Edited on 27 July 17 at 19:08 by Elite1111111111Permalink
    Hmm. Crash! is only $5. Might pick it up and do the online achievements. Pretty much every other game already has at least one discontinued achievement already. Only ones that don't are the Burnouts and the Maddens.
  • Posted on 27 July 17 at 19:16Permalink
    KenH2k4 said:
    Outsider Fenix said:
    WheresMyCodeine said:
    should be no such thing at all. The money they make and yet they turn off servers when they can keep them online, all companies who do this need to be lawsuited and call out.
    This is one of the most asinine things I've ever heard. You know who gets the thought "Oh I reeeaaalllyy wanna play some Tiger Woods 12 online right now"? No one other than achievement hunters who wasted 6 years of time not completing the game. Play your games or get over it.
    Not everyone has unlimited time. There are plenty of games I've never finished from the past 20 years and a lot that I have but haven't touched. I get your point, but you can't expect everyone to be done with every game from the past decade
    We get that, but if you're waiting 10 years to finish a game you have a problem. Obviously if anyone gave a shit about finishing these games they would have already. It takes a server closure to actually force people to move on these laugh
    #AncoraUnPezzoDiMerda
  • mkdfanmkdfan669,647
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 20:09Permalink
    Had a lot of good times on Burnout Revenge.
    I'm not too worried about the servers being closed for it as I was never good online. Can't remember if it's BC, would like to play again.
  • Posted on 27 July 17 at 20:25Permalink
    looks like ill have to finish up Madden NFL 12 & 13 but good thing is I didn't start any of the rest but still a real shame that they are shutting down.
    ~TheOutlawOfOhio~
  • MaliiciousMaliicious419,279
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 21:49Permalink
    I honestly never even realized there was a legitimate Tennis series, like with current athletes in it.
  • FOKENWOLFENFOKENWOLFEN285,433
    Posted on 27 July 17 at 22:23, Edited on 27 July 17 at 22:29 by FOKENWOLFENPermalink
    Only 1 achievement left for me on Burnout Revenge, But will have to take on that Burnout CRASH arcade game and Madden NFL 13 since I never started any of those 2. How hard can it be to complete those Madden NFL 13 achievements?
  • Posted on 28 July 17 at 05:37Permalink
    Big surprise, EA.
  • enracerenracer61,054
    Posted on 28 July 17 at 07:12Permalink
    Instead of shutting down all online functionality completely, I don't know why they can't just hand the keys over to Microsoft instead, i.e. switch the games over from EA servers to Microsoft Xbox servers which the majority of all Xbox games use. Sure they can shut down their services like FUT and online marketplaces, but there's no reason why regular online matchups should have to stop working.
  • Lord MidasLord Midas262,481
    Posted on 28 July 17 at 07:49Permalink
    Couldn't care less. Hashes over 5 years old don't get a look in.
    I guess back company games might make a difference, but what's the chances of having enough people playing these games for EA to spend money on keeping the servers active.
  • Lord MidasLord Midas262,481
    Posted on 28 July 17 at 07:49Permalink
    enracer said:
    Instead of shutting down all online functionality completely, I don't know why they can't just hand the keys over to Microsoft instead.
    Though I like this idea
  • GerbasgamerGerbasgamer1,255,610
    Posted on 28 July 17 at 08:40Permalink
    TheGillesMuller said:
    Gerbasgamer said:
    Many don't seem to realize that exactly 0 people play the MP in those games.
    There's no reason to keep them open an no reason to complain when you never use these servers.
    There are online games played every day on Grand Slam Tennis still and I know that far better than you do as I play all the time, all the other games being closed are completely fine as there are newer and better versions of them but everyone including myself who's affected by GST's server closure has no other option than to jump to Top Spin (and TS4 only has unranked matches available) and after years of playing GST most of them will either struggle to adapt or simply not bother.
    Doesn't matter honestly. 0, 2 or 100 players are not enough to make it worthwhile. Sucks for you, but everyone saw it coming.
  • GerbasgamerGerbasgamer1,255,610
    Posted on 28 July 17 at 08:45Permalink
    matdan said:
    Gerbasgamer said:
    Many don't seem to realize that exactly 0 people play the MP in those games.
    There's no reason to keep them open an no reason to complain when you never use these servers.
    I can think of 200+ games that no-ones plays yet have servers, not really a good excuse to close servers.

Of course people use those servers to boost however this mostly EA's fault for tacking on MP achievements to things they never support, nearly all of these games have had services shut off a few months after launch. If they don't plan on supporting the servers either provide alternative requirements for achievements or leave them out of online services.

However we know that ain't happening FUT, HUT and MUT all make them a fortune, so tacking on achievements to it is the perfect way to get people to play those modes.
    From a business standpoint it is an extremely good excuse.
    They only cost money and not nearly enough people use them. Instead, they will from now on be used as servers for MP games like Battlefront 2.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.