Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

EA Announces Several Server Shutdowns Coming in October

• Posted on 28 July 17 at 08:54Permalink
    So I guess I'll never have the chance to start - and consequently complete - BURNOUT REVENGE... in spite of the fact that I downloaded it months ago as GwG.

Pity. Such a pity. Shame on you, EA.
  • Posted on 28 July 17 at 09:27Permalink
    JulesFromSicily said:
    So I guess I'll never have the chance to start - and consequently complete - BURNOUT REVENGE... in spite of the fact that I downloaded it months ago as GwG.

Shame on EA? These games are 5-12 years old lmao. Would you personally keep a business running if you made nothing from it? No you wouldn't. They lose money from servers that don't get used.
  • JamPound32JamPound32851,659
    Posted on 28 July 17 at 09:53Permalink
    JulesFromSicily said:

Burnout Revenge wasn't gwg, it was Paradise. Not to mention the fact you could start it now and easily finish the online achievements before the shutdown.
  • USMC 90 95USMC 90 95471,319
    Posted on 28 July 17 at 12:48Permalink
    JamP0und32 said:
    JulesFromSicily said:

Burnout Revenge wasn't gwg, it was Paradise. Not to mention the fact you could start it now and easily finish the online achievements before the shutdown.
    But then he couldn't run to the internet and have fake outrage over server closures. On top of that, be totally wrong about which game's server was shutting down.
  • Posted on 28 July 17 at 12:53Permalink
    You only rent sports games.
  • ArkhamArkham1,528,639
    Posted on 28 July 17 at 15:33Permalink
    Good ol' Burnout Revenge. Man that was a great game.
  • Posted on 28 July 17 at 15:56Permalink
    If anyone needs help getting to 80 ovr on Madden 12 shoot me a PM. I think I still have millions of coins on that game, and I helped a lot of ppl in the past. Will take some organizing as I'm married with a kid now, but I'm will to help any one out that needs that.
  • HopstonHopston220,937
    Posted on 28 July 17 at 17:22Permalink
    I think it’s amazing I’m still able to join a ranked match in Madden 12 and 13. I always go back and try to play someone online. This sucks, but I get it.
  • DFLO4523DFLO4523614,565
    Posted on 28 July 17 at 17:56Permalink
    FIFA 12 & 13 down already!
  • Posted on 28 July 17 at 19:43Permalink
    Thanks for fucking up the dynasty wire EA.

At least turn that back on so everyone can 100% these games
  • Posted on 28 July 17 at 20:37Permalink
    good thing i did burnout revenge earlier this year. smile
  • Posted on 29 July 17 at 01:23Permalink
    Gerbasgamer said:
    matdan said:
    Gerbasgamer said:
    Many don't seem to realize that exactly 0 people play the MP in those games.
    There's no reason to keep them open an no reason to complain when you never use these servers.
    I can think of 200+ games that no-ones plays yet have servers, not really a good excuse to close servers.

Of course people use those servers to boost however this mostly EA's fault for tacking on MP achievements to things they never support, nearly all of these games have had services shut off a few months after launch. If they don't plan on supporting the servers either provide alternative requirements for achievements or leave them out of online services.

However we know that ain't happening FUT, HUT and MUT all make them a fortune, so tacking on achievements to it is the perfect way to get people to play those modes.
    From a business standpoint it is an extremely good excuse.
    They only cost money and not nearly enough people use them. Instead, they will from now on be used as servers for MP games like Battlefront 2.
    As someone who's been screwed by EA (glitches or servers), I would agree, keeping servers open on the off chance that the community will suddenly jump, is asinine to me.

What game from EA that's at risk of closing still has over a thousand users? Hell, even Titanfall barely manages to keep over 1k users these days. No point in keeping a dead games server on when only a few people still use it, free up the resources and money for something better.

As gamers, we should all know EA is gonna discontinue servers for their sports games a few ears after release, they are constantly releasing new titles in the same franchise.
    youtube.com/leoascendent - Minecraft and Dungeon Defenders II Achievement vids are up, be sure to stop by and support your fellow hunters!
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm308,027
    Posted on 30 July 17 at 02:37Permalink
    I think EA should give more than a three month advance warning. Six months would be more reasonable.
  • Posted on 30 July 17 at 17:51Permalink
    enracer said:
    Instead of shutting down all online functionality completely, I don't know why they can't just hand the keys over to Microsoft instead, i.e. switch the games over from EA servers to Microsoft Xbox servers which the majority of all Xbox games use. Sure they can shut down their services like FUT and online marketplaces, but there's no reason why regular online matchups should have to stop working.
    Nice idea. I'd totally understand them not doing if for their annual sports franchises, even more not that FUT etc are their cash cows - but as they won't even give us a new Burnout game they could at least deploy a patch to allow us to continue playing online one way or another.
  • CRISTIAMUZCRISTIAMUZ281,656
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 19:05Permalink
    All achievements on Burnout Revenge are Partly discontinued, this is on purpose?
    Twitch.Tv/Zemidek
  • Posted on 01 August 17 at 20:43Permalink
    CRISTIAMUZ said:
    All achievements on Burnout Revenge are Partly discontinued, this is on purpose?
    The servers got shut down at some point then reenabled. I guess they just never removed the flag in favor of saying the servers are 'intermittent'.
  • Posted on 01 August 17 at 20:46, Edited on 01 August 17 at 20:46 by Shadow KisuragiPermalink
    Actually, the Partially Discontinued for the Online are due to some EA accounts being locked out, and they're unable to access the Online portions of the game. It was never discovered what caused it, but once it happens, you're screwed. An announcement for shutdown occurred some years ago, but it never happened, so the achievements never got flagged.
  • Posted on 02 August 17 at 09:06Permalink
    Shadow Kisuragi said:
    Actually, the Partially Discontinued for the Online are due to some EA accounts being locked out, and they're unable to access the Online portions of the game. It was never discovered what caused it, but once it happens, you're screwed. An announcement for shutdown occurred some years ago, but it never happened, so the achievements never got flagged.
    Wow. That's... pretty lame.
  • TVippyTVippy29,236
    Posted on 02 August 17 at 15:38Permalink
    Well, 5 years for this kind of games is a good run, comparably. Burnout Revenge has been going for 10? They actually tried to close this one down some years ago, but fans rebelled hard and the servers were back. Anyone here still plays the game?
    I don't play games very often. :( If you have a close GamerScore, add me! We'll compete. :)
  • KnoellKnoell348,096
    Posted on 02 August 17 at 22:42, Edited on 02 August 17 at 22:43 by KnoellPermalink
    My only argument is that I can play super old games bc of peer to peer. But these ones require servers. I'm guessing these games can't be played peer to peer for some reason or would it be fairly simple to enable that but they don't bother? I mean the first few server closures, fine poor planning, but at some point I wish culprits like EA would put a back door for when they don't want to run servers.

How people can continue to play Prey online, but we require complete shutdown on these sports games seems silly.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.