Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Kinect Share Disabled, Takes Many Achievements With It

• SashamorningSashamorning2,716,684
    Posted on 31 July 17 at 22:49
    Another nail in Kinect's coffin.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. * I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
  • matdanmatdan840,592
    Posted on 31 July 17 at 22:58
    Wow, MS can go shove it. Even EA and 2K give more notice then MS.
    Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon, Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath!
  • Darklord1899Darklord1899477,748
    Posted on 31 July 17 at 23:10
    thankfully Dr Kowabungas brain mistraining is unaffected.

A real result as it is one of the best games every released... Kowabunga you are the controller.
  • Posted on 31 July 17 at 23:13
    Vok 250 said:
    I don't care about Kinect Share personally, but I hate to see services getting shut down. Many people are still playing on the 360 because many popular games like GTAV and Minecraft were on both the One and 360.
    Even beyond that, it's impossible to keep up with everything both money-wise and time-wise. I'm still playing 360 games simply because I haven't gotten to them yet, or I recently justified buying them because they went on sale. For example, I haven't played the first Arkham game yet (other than 10 minutes for a bean dive), among many other titles. It's too much.
  • trialiatrialia27,456
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 00:09
    superjas said:
    MS rarely give notice seen them take down servers for PGR 3, PGR 4, Lips so not exactly giving developers a great example
    Indeed :( and taking down the servers for Lips basically trashed most of the non-achievement parts of the game, as well as forcing a handful of achievements into discontinued status... =/ There's just one of those remaining for me, the 20 challenge wins, & I will never be able to get it even though I have almost everything else. Totally maddening for someone like me, who happens to have OCD, & can never get a full set of completed games on my profile thanks to that & XBLA Karaoke. Pity I didn't find this website before they shut down the servers, I could have found someone to boost with, but I didn't know enough people who owned the game to get it before the shutdown. :(

You can't even get gold/silver/bronze trophies when playing by yourself or with a friend in co-op on the same console now, which sucks for seeing how well or badly you've done :( And of course, on top of that, you can't download any songs either, whether you already bought them for the game or not - I haven't dared delete any from my console despite the amount of space they take up, because I know I'd never be able to get them back! It's only really fun for me now when I can play against a friend in person, losing the trophy, rating & leaderboard measurements really messed up single-player mode. :(

(Can you tell I have a grudge about this one? I have all the Lips games - in fact, they were the first I bought for my secondhand 360, even before FFXIII came out.)
    ~ Tria http://unfaithful-mirror.net
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead706,369
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 00:18, Edited on 01 August 17 at 00:32 by HolyHalfDead
    Shadow Kisuragi said:
    mcnichoj said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    Xbox 360 Kinect today, Xbox 360 Live tomorrow. Well maybe not tomorrow, but the people who think Xbox 360 Live is going to stay up until at least 2030 are dreaming. No more than 5 years after Xbox 360 end of life is my prediction, so I would aim to get all your 360 online achievements by 2021.
    You realize how Xbox Live works right? If you don't have a Live connection to play multiplayer, what service connection are you using to sync achievements?
    The fact we have BC probably also extends the lifespan of 360 services. It makes sense to shutdown old versions of yearly sports releases or Kinect 1.0 based games.
    You do realize how Xbox Live works, right? There's an Xbox Live Core Service, which handles your profile and achievements, and a Matchmaking Service along with servers, which handle your online matchmaking and gameplay. That's how Gold and Silver accounts work buddy.
    There is no need for me to repeat what Shadow Kisuragi said.

When Xbox Live was shut down in 2010 (5 years after the 360 was released), it was the online parts of games like Halo 2 that you could no longer play, and so online only DLC like map packs became worthless. This affected backward compatible games and Xbox Originals that are still available for purchase, eg Halo: Combat Evolved or Crimson Skies ([UPDATE] Original Xbox Backwards Compatibility Coming to Xbox One). Since those games didn't have achievements it is hard to say whether Microsoft will leave enough of the core services running for you to still be able to sync Xbox 360 offline achievements.

Backward compatibility is great, but the long list of backward compatible Xbox Games didn't save Xbox Live. We might like playing a 10 year old game, but Microsoft isn't a charity and if isn't generating any significant revenue from us playing it, they will not be paying to run and maintain the back end infrastucture.

I agree that backward compatibility should extend the lifespan, but 2021 will be 8 years after the release of Xbox One, and that is 3 years longer than Xbox Live carried on for.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • Posted on 01 August 17 at 00:29
    I just recently bought a Kinect to do these :(

I'm incredibly shocked and disappointed that they gave no advance notice. If I had known even a week ago, I would have set it up and gone out of my way to do these Fun Labs.
  • Zorlac0666Zorlac0666208,561
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 00:36
    While I understand how much it sucks when features and achievements are disabled, it's not like we didn't have years to get these. Literally years.
  • EinhanderEinhander236,230 236,230 GamerScore
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 00:40
    sleep
  • MrZombieChickenMrZombieChicken1,285,773
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 00:45
    Larvi said:
    Have all of these achievements with the exception of the Sparkler ones. I would have bought that title if MS would have given me some heads up on this. Their loss.
    Same here (well I don't have the dance one , but that one has been discontinued for a while). I would've grabbed sparkler, but won't now.
    This space for rent.
  • planting42planting422,042,476
  • trialiatrialia27,456
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 01:01
    ArkhmInmate0801 said:
    I wish Xbox had a system in place where unearned discontinued achievements would be removed from achievement lists and weren't taken into consideration in individual game completion percentages.
    So say we all. :(
    ~ Tria http://unfaithful-mirror.net
  • acedawg4acedawg42,274,226
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 01:35
    SCREW YOU M$.....only needed 3 more to complete that list! You could have gave a warning!
  • ProfJuhProfJuh309,317
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 02:13
    I don't know if someone already posted this, but sharing achievements to Facebook no longer works either, so maybe it's Zuckerberg's fault, not Spencer's. :/
  • Tanelorn82Tanelorn82488,358
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 02:36
    Damn, at least I don't have any unfinished Kinect fun labs games. I've done a few and I kept postponing the others, but it's no big deal because, after all, these were free quick games. and frankly, not too good games. So I guess I'll free some space on the 360.

I'm more bummed by the Kinect Adventure. I have it and never touched it and I was interested in trying it. But again, I'm at fault here for not starting it a long time ago.roll

However, a warning would have been appreciated angry
    Welcome to TA, where stats are made up and some achievements do not matter.
  • mcnichojmcnichoj242,839
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 02:57
    Shadow Kisuragi said:
    You do realize how Xbox Live works, right? There's an Xbox Live Core Service, which handles your profile and achievements, and a Matchmaking Service along with servers, which handle your online matchmaking and gameplay. That's how Gold and Silver accounts work buddy.
    Those are account privileges friend. You could have pointed out that Xbox Live does use multiple servers as is clearly explained on their server status page but they're not going to shut off all the matchmaking servers but leave the ability to send messages and add friends. The reason the servers are up now is because people pay for them, so no reason to leave any of it up if the stuff people actually care about is gone.
  • Elite1111111111Elite11111111111,063,073
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 02:58
    Kinda lame they didn't give any notice for this stuff. You'd think by now they'd know better.
  • misfit119misfit1191,116,552
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 03:16
    planting42 said:
    Should have done this years ago:
    Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar AdventureSee? I Can Do Anything!The See? I Can Do Anything! achievement in Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar Adventure worth 108 pointsShare 10 KinectShare awards.

Thanks for the heads up MS angry
    What annoys me about this is that my Kinect busted pretty quickly after buying it. I couldn't justify buying another one with the new console coming out and the Kinect being such a lame duck. I'd have bought, or borrowed, one to get these achievements done if they'd provided even a weeks worth of warning. Jackasses.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
  • reforc3reforc31,209,537
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 03:42
    misfit119 said:
    planting42 said:
    Should have done this years ago:
    Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar AdventureSee? I Can Do Anything!The See? I Can Do Anything! achievement in Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar Adventure worth 108 pointsShare 10 KinectShare awards.

Thanks for the heads up MS angry
    What annoys me about this is that my Kinect busted pretty quickly after buying it. I couldn't justify buying another one with the new console coming out and the Kinect being such a lame duck. I'd have bought, or borrowed, one to get these achievements done if they'd provided even a weeks worth of warning. Jackasses.
    I got mine free directly from Microsoft as a beta tester back in the days before the public release of the Kinect.

Still working, perhaps cause I don't use it much anymore, lol.
    @ReForce
  • MasterTimosMasterTimos739,762
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 03:43
    The "Kinect Me" servers has been down since several months ago when i attempted getting a few of the uploading photos cheevos, so I'm not so sure what's the point of this here announcement angry
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.