Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Kinect Share Disabled, Takes Many Achievements With It

• ScoobyDoobyD0ntScoobyDoobyD0nt3,069,714
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 05:28
    microsoft really has no idea how to properly deal with a console...like damn man. a little heads up to not screw up everyones planning wouldve been nice..whatever too late now
    Scoooooby-doooooby-dooooo
  • GrimkhanaGrimkhana243,538
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 05:45, Edited on 01 August 17 at 05:46 by Grimkhana
    Never really been into kinect, however it's pretty crappy that this has screwed so many people out achievements with no notice at all!
  • NoApologies1988NoApologies19881,980,247
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 06:24
    I cry everytime this happens.

A moment of silence for fallen gamerscore.
  • Posted on 01 August 17 at 06:26
    I mean I guess 39 achievements could classify as many, but for real these "games" were peripheral enhancers at most. The Kinect has been dead forever... did anyone really not see this coming?
    Banana Big Boys
  • Posted on 01 August 17 at 06:44
    doesn't affect me but this blows for the people that it does affect...I HATE achievements like this because if something like this happens there's no way of working around it

TMNT Training Lair had the same thing with sharing to FB and I kept putting the last achievement off until it was too late so now it's stuck with 1 achievement left that's super easy but can't do -_-
  • Erik SeidelErik Seidel217,750
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 08:00
    Einhander said:
    sleep
    I always look forward to your comments. Very insightful.

(I really thought you would take a break now that you passed 500 posts by only using smileys)
  • ELBaRTiiELBaRTii587,134
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 09:02
    I received a message from Xbox Live about this:

Starting 7/28/17, we are discontinuing support for http://kinectshare.com and http://facebook.com/kinectshare and taking those sites offline. Pictures and videos previously shared on these sites are no longer accessible. We thank you for using the Kinectshare service.

Funny thing is, I received this message on 28th about 90 minutes before midnight roll

I just need the achievements for Kinect Party, but since you guys mentioned this could be done offline, I think I should try it.
  • Stevo6483Stevo6483320,052
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 09:15
    Poopdog M60Riot said:
    I mean I guess 39 achievements could classify as many, but for real these "games" were peripheral enhancers at most. The Kinect has been dead forever... did anyone really not see this coming?
    It does seem like Kinect is on it's way out. It was a gimmic at best, and you saw how many people didn't want it when the One launched. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't make it to the next gen.
    Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas... Whatever!
  • misfit119misfit1191,116,552
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 09:18
    reforc3 said:
    I got mine free directly from Microsoft as a beta tester back in the days before the public release of the Kinect.

Still working, perhaps cause I don't use it much anymore, lol.
    In my life I've learned one thing - when you move at least one thing breaks or disappears. For me in this last move, that was my Kinect. Before that it was my Hauppauge recording device. Can't risk ever moving again. I don't have any disposable electronics.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
  • Posted on 01 August 17 at 09:48
    Has anyone recently tried uploading something for Kinect Rush: Disney Pixar? I know the 50G Snapshot game had discontinued achievements, but the 1000G one was OK for awhile. I admit it was willpower that prevented me from getting 10.

Also is Kinect Sports: Season 2 at risk?

One last ultimate question. For any of these Kinect games, has the DLC been de-listed for them?

I think I also need to work on Kinect Playfit before that goes next.
  • Vr EnglishVr English796,491
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 10:10
    Wow. Shame, I probably would have got involved if I'd known.
  • ukinsproukinspro1,427,420
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 10:24
    So Microsoft act like complete douchebags and give no notice of impending closure.
    Great example to set, so we can expect the likes of EA, 2K etc etc to follow this shining example going forward.
  • Posted on 01 August 17 at 10:48
    and yet Kinect sparkler is still £1.99...

BulgyDragonZord said:
    I think I also need to work on Kinect Playfit before that goes next.
    yup, will be doing that too.
  • Er PaBlEtOrEr PaBlEtOr1,292,838
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 12:31
    Are you fucking kidding me? I was saving the kinect fun labs achievements, they didn't warned about it D: Fuck now I have a lot of games that I won't be able to complete.
  • Clever JakeClever Jake719,723
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 12:35
    Most of you complaining would have probably never got these achievements anyway. Whilst I agree it wouldn't have hurt MS to give a bit of notice, you've still had ample opportunity to get them.
  • enracerenracer67,420
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 12:41
    I noticed the KinectShare service in Fun Labs no longer worked a few months ago. EA games are bad enough with the odd ONE unobtainable achievement, leave a couple of games ~90% complete, but with all these - almost a whole range of games started and can never be completed - I may as well stop achievement collecting. Terrible way for M$ to treat fans of their systems.
  • AlahertAlahert2,036,479
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 12:52
    Er PaBlEtOr said:
    Are you fucking kidding me? I was saving the kinect fun labs achievements, they didn't warned about it D: Fuck now I have a lot of games that I won't be able to complete.
    I feel you man..
    TWiN$ 777
  • KenH2k4KenH2k4596,384
  • dlCHIEF58dlCHIEF58513,355
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 13:47
    HolyHalfDead said:
    Shadow Kisuragi said:
    mcnichoj said:
    HolyHalfDead said:
    Xbox 360 Kinect today, Xbox 360 Live tomorrow. Well maybe not tomorrow, but the people who think Xbox 360 Live is going to stay up until at least 2030 are dreaming. No more than 5 years after Xbox 360 end of life is my prediction, so I would aim to get all your 360 online achievements by 2021.
    You realize how Xbox Live works right? If you don't have a Live connection to play multiplayer, what service connection are you using to sync achievements?
    The fact we have BC probably also extends the lifespan of 360 services. It makes sense to shutdown old versions of yearly sports releases or Kinect 1.0 based games.
    You do realize how Xbox Live works, right? There's an Xbox Live Core Service, which handles your profile and achievements, and a Matchmaking Service along with servers, which handle your online matchmaking and gameplay. That's how Gold and Silver accounts work buddy.
    There is no need for me to repeat what Shadow Kisuragi said.

When Xbox Live was shut down in 2010 (5 years after the 360 was released), it was the online parts of games like Halo 2 that you could no longer play, and so online only DLC like map packs became worthless. This affected backward compatible games and Xbox Originals that are still available for purchase, eg Halo: Combat Evolved or Crimson Skies ([UPDATE] Original Xbox Backwards Compatibility Coming to Xbox One). Since those games didn't have achievements it is hard to say whether Microsoft will leave enough of the core services running for you to still be able to sync Xbox 360 offline achievements.

Backward compatibility is great, but the long list of backward compatible Xbox Games didn't save Xbox Live. We might like playing a 10 year old game, but Microsoft isn't a charity and if isn't generating any significant revenue from us playing it, they will not be paying to run and maintain the back end infrastucture.

I agree that backward compatibility should extend the lifespan, but 2021 will be 8 years after the release of Xbox One, and that is 3 years longer than Xbox Live carried on for.
    Yet you forget the reason why Live 1.0 NEEDED to be shut down - the net coding in it was limiting what they could do with Live, such as having limits on the amount of Friends and other things. To our knowledge there is nothing like that impeding the growth and addition of features to Live as it stands.

I believe that Live services on the 360 will be around for longer than you think, and Microsoft's commitment to 360 backward compatibility seems to back that up. I also wouldn't be a bit surprised if they manage to bring back 1.0 services to some extent when original Xbox BC is in place, even if only available on the One. As long as people are paying AND using the services, they will keep them going.
  • KBop a dooKBop a doo387,528
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 14:02
    BulgyDragonZord said:
    Also is Kinect Sports: Season 2 at risk?
    Unless I'm totally blind, it doesn't have any Share-related achievements. The only achievements that require Online are for sending challenges to a friend and it appears to use Xbox Live and not Share. You're right that the game had Share feature installed and it will no longer be available, but as far as I can tell there aren't achievements for using it.

Kinect Sports: Season TwoChallenge SquashedThe Challenge Squashed achievement in Kinect Sports: Season Two worth 88 pointsBeat your first challenge in Kinect Sports: Season Two

Kinect Sports: Season TwoChallenge ChallengerThe Challenge Challenger achievement in Kinect Sports: Season Two worth 52 pointsSend out your first challenge in Kinect Sports: Season Two
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.