Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Kinect Share Disabled, Takes Many Achievements With It

• Legohead 1977Legohead 19771,813,862
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 14:06
    Thankfully Mars Landing is the only one I have outstanding achievements in!

Could never get Micro labs to work.
    Legohead 1977
  • Gary VargaGary Varga148,394
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 14:07
    There is no way that this wasn't planned. It just wouldn't be a decision by a couple of techies to turn something off. I would put money on there being a contractual reason to the date. Either a contract was expiring and an agreement on an extension was not found or they had something like a "cease and desist" order.

If I am correct then the mistake was not to warn that there was a possibility of this service closing when they knew it was a risk.
  • Yinga GartenYinga Garten2,265,641
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 14:19, Edited on 01 August 17 at 14:20 by Yinga Garten
    xPut Name Herex said:
    Yinga Garten said:
    Really disappointing that no advance notice was given, wanted to start Kinect Rush and Dance Central 2 eventually.
    The Dance Central 2 achievement referenced has actually been discontinued for years. It required an upload to Facebook, so one of the API updates for Facebook broke the connection and thus discontinued the achievement.
    Fair enough, the article doesn't mention that though and made me assume it had only just become unobtainable with this news (probably worth updating it). I see someone has unlocked both of the affected Kinect Rush achievements so I'm going to get on that soon.
  • halohogghalohogg118,034
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 14:31
    Kinect failed feature.
    Xbox Glass failed feature.
    Snap feature discontinued.

Xbox still searching for next best thing.

Is Augmented Reality next?
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 15:19
    AR? Har har, more like.
  • EssCee UKEssCee UK478,840
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 16:14
    Cheap move Microsoft.. why didn't you just spin up a couple of vm's in Azure and keep it going?
    This also applies to any company that shuts down online services. It wouldn't cost much as they servers wouldn't get much traffic.

Or you could use functions/Lambda to mimic the upload process and just discard it (which is even cheaper than the above).
  • Posted on 01 August 17 at 16:42
    Zashule 1765 said:
    Crap. I knew procrastinating finishing those for nearly 6 years would come back to bite me.
    This is hilarious! I think there's alot of this on this site lately laugh
    #AncoraUnPezzoDiMerda
  • ShinnizleShinnizle1,711,261
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 17:15
    SuperTigerWoods said:
    Zashule 1765 said:
    Crap. I knew procrastinating finishing those for nearly 6 years would come back to bite me.
    Count me in that group. I probably would have done at least a few more of them if it weren't so damn annoying to set up my room to play my Kinect. And even then, it keeps telling me to move farther because it can't see my feet. Well, sorry I don't have a bigger room to play you in, Kinect! laugh
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • Posted on 01 August 17 at 17:24
    dlCHIEF58 said:
    Yet you forget the reason why Live 1.0 NEEDED to be shut down - the net coding in it was limiting what they could do with Live, such as having limits on the amount of Friends and other things. To our knowledge there is nothing like that impeding the growth and addition of features to Live as it stands.

I believe that Live services on the 360 will be around for longer than you think, and Microsoft's commitment to 360 backward compatibility seems to back that up. I also wouldn't be a bit surprised if they manage to bring back 1.0 services to some extent when original Xbox BC is in place, even if only available on the One. As long as people are paying AND using the services, they will keep them going.
    I don't think this is signs of continued support for the 360 console, if anything I think that it is an attempt to accelerate there goal of shutting down the system. Seems like they want to have "most" of what they can add to backwards compatibility as quickly as they can, so they no longer need to keep the 360 itself supported so that the Xbox One would be the console you use for all your Xbox experiences, now including original Xbox games. So once they get their library of bc games to where they want it, they will pull the plug, and all the games that don't make the list will be left in the dust giving us lots of games yet again with unobtainables. We all know not every game is going to be made bc, as of licensing issues and low demand. But I believe that will be the approach to this shut down. I hate licensing issues with games! Rip mbu :(
    FLAWLESS CHA0S
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 17:29
    I totally agree with FLAWLESS CHAOS. It makes commercial sense. If you want to play an ancient game then either it needs to be BC or it must be offline only and you have the hardware.

Also seems reasonable...but the execution isn't always done well.
  • xPut Name HerexxPut Name Herex1,324,389
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 17:35
    FLAWLESS CHA0S said:
    dlCHIEF58 said:
    Yet you forget the reason why Live 1.0 NEEDED to be shut down - the net coding in it was limiting what they could do with Live, such as having limits on the amount of Friends and other things. To our knowledge there is nothing like that impeding the growth and addition of features to Live as it stands.

I believe that Live services on the 360 will be around for longer than you think, and Microsoft's commitment to 360 backward compatibility seems to back that up. I also wouldn't be a bit surprised if they manage to bring back 1.0 services to some extent when original Xbox BC is in place, even if only available on the One. As long as people are paying AND using the services, they will keep them going.
    I don't think this is signs of continued support for the 360 console, if anything I think that it is an attempt to accelerate there goal of shutting down the system. Seems like they want to have "most" of what they can add to backwards compatibility as quickly as they can, so they no longer need to keep the 360 itself supported so that the Xbox One would be the console you use for all your Xbox experiences, now including original Xbox games. So once they get their library of bc games to where they want it, they will pull the plug, and all the games that don't make the list will be left in the dust giving us lots of games yet again with unobtainables. We all know not every game is going to be made bc, as of licensing issues and low demand. But I believe that will be the approach to this shut down. I hate licensing issues with games! Rip mbu :(
    The 360 games that are backwards compatible on the One aren't running their online features off the One servers, but still the 360 servers a normal 360 console would use. A simplified way of thinking about backwards compatibility is that each backwards compatible game you install is the game itself wrapped in its own personal 360 console, and that personal 360 console wrapper acts as close to possible as an actual 360 console.
  • misfit119misfit1191,088,746
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 18:31
    Shinnizle said:
    SuperTigerWoods said:
    Zashule 1765 said:
    Count me in that group. I probably would have done at least a few more of them if it weren't so damn annoying to set up my room to play my Kinect. And even then, it keeps telling me to move farther because it can't see my feet. Well, sorry I don't have a bigger room to play you in, Kinect! laugh
    I was in that group when I owned a functional Kinect. Due to the very square living rooms in both places I've lived, It could see my whole body but my feet were way out of perspective. So it always bitched about that. Even for Fun Labs: Googly Eyes I'd hold the thing right in front of it and it would complain that it couldn't see the object. It took me forever to get it working at all and at this point I kinda wish I hadn't. Then I wouldn't have Steel Battalion, Kinect Adventures and Kinectimals to deal with eventually (even though those damn animals are so super cute).
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
  • ShinnizleShinnizle1,711,261
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 18:43
    When I get my own place, I am so going to get all the Kinect stuff done...
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • ZemidekZemidek327,040
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 19:15
    Hopefully this causes up enough of a stir to make them bring it back for at least a week so people can have a proper farewell to these achievements.
    Twitch.Tv/Zemidek
  • Posted on 01 August 17 at 19:51
    I'm kind of wondering about the different approaches.

With Xbox Fitness there has been such a nice announcement. Everybody who really wanted to finish the game (or at least part of it) had enough time to plan and do so. It was well received and now there is this blunt and abrupt "solution" that nobody who thinks about it can really want.
  • ZalexzyZalexzy2,416,017
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 20:30, Edited on 01 August 17 at 20:34 by Zalexzy
    Wow, it's unbelievable, I am way too happy for just unlocking
    Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar AdventureSee? I Can Do Anything!The See? I Can Do Anything! achievement in Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar Adventure worth 100 pointsShare 10 KinectShare awards.

Service is not available. I decided to have long shot, played for few hours to unlock 10 awards. Then I went and clicked share, had to wait 1-2 minutes each and finally it told service is not available. After hitting share for 10th award, achievement popped. Bullet dodged.

Wish they had announced their plans in advance, might have wasted few euros for some kinect labs crap.
  • Boots OrionBoots Orion878,520
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 20:37
    Naystar32 said:
    its unacceptable...no message from Microsoft, and a completely fucking Kinect share "service"......wahou !!!! 3 more discontinued...nice work !!!
    You're right.

It is unacceptable that someone who is in the achievement hunting business never got around to getting these achievements in the 5-6 years that you were able to.

Shame!
  • Elite1111111111Elite11111111111,013,153
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 20:44, Edited on 01 August 17 at 20:48 by Elite1111111111
    Boots Orion said:
    Naystar32 said:
    its unacceptable...no message from Microsoft, and a completely fucking Kinect share "service"......wahou !!!! 3 more discontinued...nice work !!!
    You're right.

It is unacceptable that someone who is in the achievement hunting business never got around to getting these achievements in the 5-6 years that you were able to.

Shame!
    Considering how many locked achievements you have yourself, I would think you could understand people not hunting a particular achievement if there wasn't any urgency assigned to it. I'm sure if they'd come out like EA shutting down their servers, plenty of people would have gone back to these games to finish them. It gives people agency.

I don't really think the possibility of discontinuing a 360 kinect sharing service was something people really considered. Though I'll grant there's danger involved with delaying in unlocking anything with an online component.
  • Posted on 01 August 17 at 20:47
    Zalexzy said:
    Wow, it's unbelievable, I am way too happy for just unlocking
    Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar AdventureSee? I Can Do Anything!The See? I Can Do Anything! achievement in Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar Adventure worth 100 pointsShare 10 KinectShare awards.

Service is not available. I decided to have long shot, played for few hours to unlock 10 awards. Then I went and clicked share, had to wait 1-2 minutes each and finally it told service is not available. After hitting share for 10th award, achievement popped. Bullet dodged.

Wish they had announced their plans in advance, might have wasted few euros for some kinect labs crap.
    Good to know!
  • KenH2k4KenH2k4584,952
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 20:53
    Elite1111111111 said:
    Boots Orion said:
    Naystar32 said:
    You're right.

Shame!
    Considering how many locked achievements you have yourself, I would think you could understand people not hunting a particular achievement if there wasn't any urgency assigned to it. I'm sure if they'd come out like EA shutting down their servers, plenty of people would have gone back to these games to finish them. It gives people agency.

I don't really think the possibility of discontinuing a 360 kinect sharing service was something people really considered. Though I'll grant there's danger involved with delaying in unlocking anything with an online component.
    I've never understood the argument of "if you wanted to get this you would have by now." There are plenty of games I'd like to have completed by now but can't. Hell I'd love to be unlocking achievements right now but I'm stuck away from home. I was slowly working on these, and it's not like my completion percentage is anything to be proud of, but if there was an announcement ahead of time I would have gone for most of these. I'm sorry I haven't completed everything from 6 years ago. I get that this is a risk I run, but announcements before shut downs are nice.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.