Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Kinect Share Disabled, Takes Many Achievements With It

• Wanderer128Wanderer128238,165 238,165 GamerScore
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 20:56
    Nooooooooo not more unobtainable Kinect Achievements!!!
    Wanderer128 - See this Thread!!!: http://www.trueachievements.com/forum/viewthread.aspx?threadid=35
  • Boots OrionBoots Orion878,520
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 20:56
    Elite1111111111 said:
    Boots Orion said:
    Naystar32 said:
    its unacceptable...no message from Microsoft, and a completely fucking Kinect share "service"......wahou !!!! 3 more discontinued...nice work !!!
    You're right.

It is unacceptable that someone who is in the achievement hunting business never got around to getting these achievements in the 5-6 years that you were able to.

Shame!
    Considering how many locked achievements you have yourself, I would think you could understand people not hunting a particular achievement if there wasn't any urgency assigned to it. I'm sure if they'd come out like EA shutting down their servers, plenty of people would have gone back to these games to finish them. It gives people agency.

I don't really think the possibility of discontinuing a 360 kinect sharing service was something people really considered. Though I'll grant there's danger involved with delaying in unlocking anything with an online component.
    And you'd be wrong. I have many unlocked achievements because I sense no urgency. I am one with my apathy. It is my superpower. My chi.

I always feel as though a server closure is a good thing. Less for me to do.
  • Posted on 01 August 17 at 21:10
    KBop a doo said:
    BulgyDragonZord said:
    Also is Kinect Sports: Season 2 at risk?
    Unless I'm totally blind, it doesn't have any Share-related achievements. The only achievements that require Online are for sending challenges to a friend and it appears to use Xbox Live and not Share. You're right that the game had Share feature installed and it will no longer be available, but as far as I can tell there aren't achievements for using it.

Kinect Sports: Season TwoChallenge SquashedThe Challenge Squashed achievement in Kinect Sports: Season Two worth 85 pointsBeat your first challenge in Kinect Sports: Season Two

Kinect Sports: Season TwoChallenge ChallengerThe Challenge Challenger achievement in Kinect Sports: Season Two worth 52 pointsSend out your first challenge in Kinect Sports: Season Two
    Ah! Good spot bud. Well in that case I may consider loading up a dummy and see if those achievements still work. And if they do I'll buy the DLC for the game and get it done.

Zalexzy said:
    Wow, it's unbelievable, I am way too happy for just unlocking
    Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar AdventureSee? I Can Do Anything!The See? I Can Do Anything! achievement in Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar Adventure worth 100 pointsShare 10 KinectShare awards.

Service is not available. I decided to have long shot, played for few hours to unlock 10 awards. Then I went and clicked share, had to wait 1-2 minutes each and finally it told service is not available. After hitting share for 10th award, achievement popped. Bullet dodged.

Wish they had announced their plans in advance, might have wasted few euros for some kinect labs crap.
    Your a legend! That's the main achievement I've been worried about and since it is still known to be working, I'm going to strongly consider getting it done for myself as well. Thanks for that : )
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead677,803
    Posted on 01 August 17 at 23:45, Edited on 01 August 17 at 23:46 by HolyHalfDead
    dlCHIEF58 said:
    Yet you forget the reason why Live 1.0 NEEDED to be shut down - the net coding in it was limiting what they could do with Live, such as having limits on the amount of Friends and other things. To our knowledge there is nothing like that impeding the growth and addition of features to Live as it stands.

I believe that Live services on the 360 will be around for longer than you think, and Microsoft's commitment to 360 backward compatibility seems to back that up. I also wouldn't be a bit surprised if they manage to bring back 1.0 services to some extent when original Xbox BC is in place, even if only available on the One. As long as people are paying AND using the services, they will keep them going.
    You have your opinions, and I have mine. I don't work for Microsoft (although I have worked with them for a long time) so what I am saying is pure speculation based on past track record.

Xbox 360 Live runs independantly of Xbox One Live, so as far as I know there is nothing holding back the development of Xbox One Live. But if the limit of 100 friends was a restriction of the first Xbox Live, why wasn't that limit increased in 2010 once it was turned off.

I repeat that Microsoft was fully commited to Xbox backward compatibilty for years (did you see how long the list was) including games with online modes which they are still selling on the marketplace today. And yet they still cut all those people off.

So don't place your hopes in backward compatibility saving Xbox 360 Live. Backward compatibility is a feature that is only marketed for a few years overlap between platforms to give people less reason not to upgrade. I repeat that Microsoft will not be making any money on people picking up Xbox 360 games for $5 from the bargin bin. They do it so that you don't buy a Playstation 4 instead.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • Big EllBig Ell1,611,109
    Posted on 02 August 17 at 00:42
    Kinect Pixar Rush achievements confirmed as still working!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 02 August 17 at 00:50
    this is a preview of how they will handle shutting down the 360....
  • misfit119misfit1191,088,746
    Posted on 02 August 17 at 05:11, Edited on 02 August 17 at 05:13 by misfit119
    KenH2k4 said:
    I've never understood the argument of "if you wanted to get this you would have by now." There are plenty of games I'd like to have completed by now but can't. Hell I'd love to be unlocking achievements right now but I'm stuck away from home. I was slowly working on these, and it's not like my completion percentage is anything to be proud of, but if there was an announcement ahead of time I would have gone for most of these. I'm sorry I haven't completed everything from 6 years ago. I get that this is a risk I run, but announcements before shut downs are nice.
    It's one of those things where someone has to come out and say it every time there's a server closure. Unless it's EA, then they're just the devil and in the wrong. Then nobody bats an eye when 2k does the same thing or pulls games without warning. Meanwhile EA has been pretty good about actually announcing these things. So, you know, contrarians among us and all that rot.

Like me, I was waiting to be able to get my living room set up in a way that will allow me to play the Kinect before buying a new one. I hate having to reorganize the whole bloody thing just to play for a few hours. But fully swapping it around means getting brand new furniture to make it fit and I'm not going to splurge on that just to justify buying another Kinect. So it waited and waited and then this. So stupid. If I'd been warned I could have borrowed one from a friend who lives a few hours away and then made a day of getting these. But letting people know before closing stuff is hard apparently.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
  • Posted on 02 August 17 at 07:16
    "we will continue to support Kinect on for Xbox One."
    Well we're unlikely to see any motion control return to the main UI; and with a much smaller install base after removing Kinect from a requirement for X1, there's less incentive to do so.

The X1S & X1X both lack the native Kinect port, so users need to buy the adapter if they upgrade their console.

The only known Kinect games (2) to be released are:
    Just Dance 2018 (release 24/10/17) (https://just-dance.ubisoft.com/en-us/news/152-293942-16/just...)
    CDF Starfighter (release [for xbox] TBC) (CDF Starfighter Achievements)
  • PicklesbrPicklesbr331,603
    Posted on 02 August 17 at 11:16, Edited on 02 August 17 at 11:16 by Picklesbr
    https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/363186--new-ideas/suggesti...

It seems this "idea" to bring back Kinect Fun Labs servers is there since April... Well, I voted anyway...
    Death will find you soon enough. War is not about glory. War is about victory! - Apothecary Pythol,
  • trialiatrialia27,151
    Posted on 02 August 17 at 11:21
    misfit119 said:
    reforc3 said:
    I got mine free directly from Microsoft as a beta tester back in the days before the public release of the Kinect.

Still working, perhaps cause I don't use it much anymore, lol.
    In my life I've learned one thing - when you move at least one thing breaks or disappears. For me in this last move, that was my Kinect. Before that it was my Hauppauge recording device. Can't risk ever moving again. I don't have any disposable electronics.
    Well, it's not always electronics.

I'm still fuming that my last move claimed the only pair of designer shoes I ever owned - a beautiful pair of knee-length brown suede Prada Criollo boots that I managed to buy through a factory store in Australia to wear as part of my River Song cosplay costume. I can never replace them because my size is fairly common & they've basically quit making those. They cost so much too... I still think the movers stole them, I know they weren't left behind by accident because I checked the whole place before leaving. *irritated sigh*

The time before that, it was one of my wall units that ended up being busted. (Might have been my laptop - had that not been stolen already! =P) Like you say, there's always something.

Good luck if you ever have to move again!
    ~ Tria http://unfaithful-mirror.net
  • ZalexzyZalexzy2,416,017
    Posted on 02 August 17 at 11:43, Edited on 02 August 17 at 11:50 by Zalexzy
    Article should be updated:

Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar Adventure Achievements
    Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar AdventureSee What I Did!The See What I Did! achievement in Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar Adventure worth 51 pointsShare an award with KinectShare.

Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar AdventureSee? I Can Do Anything!The See? I Can Do Anything! achievement in Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar Adventure worth 100 pointsShare 10 KinectShare awards.

Are still obtainable, even though server is down. Just click share, wait and ignore "error" message and share 10 different awards.
  • TVippyTVippy29,717
    Posted on 02 August 17 at 15:33
    Why is the richest company in the world so poor to not be able to pay for a couple of servers for at least 5 years more?
    I don't play games very often. :( If you have a close GamerScore, add me! We'll compete. :)
  • planting42planting421,989,736
    Posted on 02 August 17 at 16:06
    Boots Orion said:
    Naystar32 said:
    its unacceptable...no message from Microsoft, and a completely fucking Kinect share "service"......wahou !!!! 3 more discontinued...nice work !!!
    You're right.

It is unacceptable that someone who is in the achievement hunting business never got around to getting these achievements in the 5-6 years that you were able to.

Shame!
    Shame we played better games? Yeah, that's totally on us.

MS dropped the ball here.
    https://www.trueachievements.com/event/GTASC-2017
  • dlCHIEF58dlCHIEF58500,186
    Posted on 02 August 17 at 16:25
    HolyHalfDead said:
    dlCHIEF58 said:
    Yet you forget the reason why Live 1.0 NEEDED to be shut down - the net coding in it was limiting what they could do with Live, such as having limits on the amount of Friends and other things. To our knowledge there is nothing like that impeding the growth and addition of features to Live as it stands.

I believe that Live services on the 360 will be around for longer than you think, and Microsoft's commitment to 360 backward compatibility seems to back that up. I also wouldn't be a bit surprised if they manage to bring back 1.0 services to some extent when original Xbox BC is in place, even if only available on the One. As long as people are paying AND using the services, they will keep them going.
    You have your opinions, and I have mine. I don't work for Microsoft (although I have worked with them for a long time) so what I am saying is pure speculation based on past track record.

Xbox 360 Live runs independantly of Xbox One Live, so as far as I know there is nothing holding back the development of Xbox One Live. But if the limit of 100 friends was a restriction of the first Xbox Live, why wasn't that limit increased in 2010 once it was turned off.

I repeat that Microsoft was fully commited to Xbox backward compatibilty for years (did you see how long the list was) including games with online modes which they are still selling on the marketplace today. And yet they still cut all those people off.

So don't place your hopes in backward compatibility saving Xbox 360 Live. Backward compatibility is a feature that is only marketed for a few years overlap between platforms to give people less reason not to upgrade. I repeat that Microsoft will not be making any money on people picking up Xbox 360 games for $5 from the bargin bin. They do it so that you don't buy a Playstation 4 instead.
    While you are entitled to your bleak opinion, I think you are very wrong. You are basing your speculation on their "past track record" but NEWS FLASH...the leadership has changed completely from that time from the very top on down. Spencer is very up on supporting both the 360 and original Xbox on the One and no real reason to cancel Live services on the 360 since that would hamper that selling point. You state something about original Xbox games being available for sale but still cancelling the original Live. Well if you look there are only a handful of original Xbox games for sale on the Xbox marketplace (less than 40 originally, less than 30 now) and at most 5 of those had any Live functionality. That doesn't help your argument one bit.

Of course Microsoft is not going to make a dime from $5 bargain bin sales (since those games were already long paid for), but guess what? They are going to make money off CONTINUED sales of those games on the Xbox marketplace along with any associated DLC. They've increased the shelf life of those titles and are now looking at long tailed sales. Of course it is also a selling point against SONY, but cancelling online services for those would pretty much neuter the advantage thus relegating the feature to a neat gimmick.

Another thing you fail to consider is that the current 360 emulator uses cloud saves and if Live were stopped for the 360 then those would go as well which would pretty much render the BC useless.

As long as it is being used, paid for and not hindering further development of Live in the future there is absolutely no reason for Microsoft to shut down the service. Doing so would hurt more than help them and Spencer is very aware of that. It may happen sometime in the future, but I would not expect it to do so for many more years and the current vision of Microsoft seems to back that up.
  • XtowersXtowers828,778
    Posted on 02 August 17 at 17:16
    I had the majority of these already. With a little more notice I might have cleaned them up.
  • Boots OrionBoots Orion878,520
    Posted on 02 August 17 at 17:28
    planting42 said:
    Boots Orion said:
    Naystar32 said:
    You're right.

Shame!
    Shame we played better games? Yeah, that's totally on us.

MS dropped the ball here.
    Fact: Achievement Hunting rarely if ever involves playing better games. After all, Achievement Hunting is the game.

Don't get mad at M$ when you're to blame for putting easy achievements off for so long. Don't worry - it's a rookie mistake and one that you won't make again most likely.
  • KBop a dooKBop a doo376,549
    Posted on 02 August 17 at 18:43
    Zalexzy said:
    Article should be updated:

Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar Adventure Achievements
    Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar AdventureSee What I Did!The See What I Did! achievement in Kinect Rush: A Disney/Pixar Adventure worth 51 pointsShare an award with KinectShare.

Are still obtainable, even though server is down. Just click share, wait and ignore "error" message and share 10 different awards.
    Updated, thanks for the info toast

More important than updating the article is making sure we have the achievements correctly flagged as discontinued or not. This article will fade off the front page quickly and I'm not sure how long we'll continue to update it, but the information and reports from commenters are important to our achievement flagging system. I know the GI team is keeping a close watch on the comments section so there should be no problems there toast
  • Posted on 02 August 17 at 19:16
    Already closed out the internal threads to follow up on Kinect Rush and Kinect Adventures, and the rest were all flagged back on the initial report in March. toast
  • KBop a dooKBop a doo376,549
    Posted on 02 August 17 at 19:31
    Shadow Kisuragi said:
    Already closed out the internal threads to follow up on Kinect Rush and Kinect Adventures, and the rest were all flagged back on the initial report in March. toast
    I noticed that most had already been flagged while I was writing the article. I guess Microsoft prefers to make announcements months after they already did the thing they're "announcing" laugh
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead677,803
    Posted on 02 August 17 at 19:54, Edited on 02 August 17 at 19:56 by HolyHalfDead
    dlCHIEF58 said:
    As long as it is being used, paid for and not hindering further development of Live in the future there is absolutely no reason for Microsoft to shut down the service. Doing so would hurt more than help them and Spencer is very aware of that. It may will happen sometime in the future, but I would not expect it to do so for many more years and the current vision of Microsoft Xbox team seems to back that up.
    I do hope you are right and I am wrong smile. Although I certainly don't expect Xbox 360 Live to still be running in 2080, even I don't expect to still be running in 2080.

If only all the other teams at Microsoft had the mentality and authority you hope the Xbox team have.

Windows 10 - support ended Mar 2017 (need to upgrade to a newer version)
    Windows Phone 8.1 - support ended 11th Jul 2017 (the Nokia Lumia 920 isn't even 5 years old!)

Every Microsoft Server OS, SQL Server, Office version has 5 years extended support after it goes end of life. Let's hope the people at Microsoft behind that have no say or control over Xbox.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.