Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Minecraft Better Together Update Beta Begins

AuthorMessage
Shadow Kisuragi
Posted on 03 August 17 at 02:03
Jorax, would the JIRA tickets help?
Music box and diving are currently unobtainable on latest update for XB1.
JORAX
JORAX
Posted on 03 August 17 at 02:28
No need, I can check with the team that works with 4J on those. It'll have to wait for tomorrow though when folks are back in the office.
InFamousAnthuny
Posted on 03 August 17 at 03:08
Zorlac0666 said:
The windows 10 version actually plays and runs better than the Java version, and is much easier to join multiplayer games with. Also yes I have the Java version. I got it the first year it was out.
Runs better? It doesn't run on Max and Linux at all.

Easier to join multiplayer games? The number of friends I have that play Minecraft (all of them), lessened by the scant amount of those that actually have windows 10, lessened by the amount who have Windows 10 Minecraft, lessened by those that would actually want to play on the C++ servers is... zero.

For me the major kicker is that the C++ "Minecraft" doesn't have the tons of mod support and customization that the Java version does. Y'know, a couple of major factors that helped make Minecraft super popular and the huge success it is today.

And those factors also put a bit of flak on your "runs better" argument as well. I use a gaming computer. Vanilla Java and vanilla C++ run the exact same for me. Modded Java and vanilla C++ run the exact same for me. Modded Java with texture packs/shaders runs the same as vanilla C++ for me. And a vanilla vs. vanilla argument won't matter to the majority of PC players because most of them are using mods. Even "vanilla" servers on Java are using a plethora of plug-ins. Anti-grief, land protection, factions, block detection, teleportation, safe zones. None of that is available to C++ servers.

So I won't give up my argument that Java is superior for me and anyone else who desires anything more than being stuck with C++'s barebones vanilla play.
reforc3
reforc3
Posted on 03 August 17 at 03:21, Edited on 03 August 17 at 03:28 by reforc3
With this beta update these achievements can be obtained again (check my timestamps):

Minecraft (Win 10)Artificial SelectionThe Artificial Selection achievement in Minecraft (Win 10) worth 87 pointsBreed a mule from a horse and a donkey.

Minecraft (Win 10)Great View From Up HereThe Great View From Up Here achievement in Minecraft (Win 10) worth 64 pointsLevitate up 50 blocks from the attacks of a Shulker

(still buggy, maybe the real description is 500 blocks movement only by impact, i don't know)

Minecraft (Win 10)InceptionThe Inception achievement in Minecraft (Win 10) worth 59 pointsPush a piston with a piston, then pull the original piston with that piston.

Seems to still be broken, but maybe I did something wrong, i'm not sure.

JORAX said:
No need, I can check with the team that works with 4J on those. It'll have to wait for tomorrow though when folks are back in the office.
Quick bug for you on the WIN10 version.

If there's one controller playing the game and a second controller is plugged and is pressed any button, the game crashes.
@ReForce
X8BIT ScorpionX
Posted on 03 August 17 at 08:45
Hope they do the same with other games.
And there was a huge whale and it was all like MWAAAAA which made it super scary!
allstar738
allstar738
Posted on 03 August 17 at 11:32
Not a fan of them switching to the Win 10 version. It feels barebones compared to the console version.
allstar738
allstar738
Posted on 03 August 17 at 11:52
InFamousAnthuny said:
Zorlac0666 said:
The windows 10 version actually plays and runs better than the Java version, and is much easier to join multiplayer games with. Also yes I have the Java version. I got it the first year it was out.
Runs better? It doesn't run on Max and Linux at all.

Easier to join multiplayer games? The number of friends I have that play Minecraft (all of them), lessened by the scant amount of those that actually have windows 10, lessened by the amount who have Windows 10 Minecraft, lessened by those that would actually want to play on the C++ servers is... zero.

For me the major kicker is that the C++ "Minecraft" doesn't have the tons of mod support and customization that the Java version does. Y'know, a couple of major factors that helped make Minecraft super popular and the huge success it is today.

And those factors also put a bit of flak on your "runs better" argument as well. I use a gaming computer. Vanilla Java and vanilla C++ run the exact same for me. Modded Java and vanilla C++ run the exact same for me. Modded Java with texture packs/shaders runs the same as vanilla C++ for me. And a vanilla vs. vanilla argument won't matter to the majority of PC players because most of them are using mods. Even "vanilla" servers on Java are using a plethora of plug-ins. Anti-grief, land protection, factions, block detection, teleportation, safe zones. None of that is available to C++ servers.

So I won't give up my argument that Java is superior for me and anyone else who desires anything more than being stuck with C++'s barebones vanilla play.
Calm down there, cowboy.

1) It's called the Windows 10 version for a reason, so that's why it doesn't run on anything else.

2) Just because you don't have friends who play the Win 10 version, doesn't mean others don't. And considering just how painful the Java version is to set up a server to play with a friend, then yeah, the Win 10 version is better since you can just send a simple invite like every other game.

3) While you may play on some $6000 machine that MIGHT get rid of the awful studdering of Java, 99% of rational players will find that Win 10 runs smoother without hiccups.

Also, does it really matter to you that much if somebody else likes the Win 10 version over the Java version?
Elite1111111111
Posted on 03 August 17 at 13:44
Platform-Exclusive DLC not usable in multiplayer? So not even when playing with people from the same console?
AP Vekta
AP Vekta
Posted on 03 August 17 at 14:19
"For those with the Xbox One Edition, you’ll be downloading a brand new version of the game for free"
Is this option included for disc players who have already paid for the game once or will I, we have to pay again?.

Also what is the reason for disc players not being included in the beta?.
Shadow Kisuragi
Posted on 03 August 17 at 14:25
Disc Players, if they have played for more than 5 hours in the past 12 months, will receive the new edition for free. It's in the FAQ.
AP Vekta
AP Vekta
Posted on 03 August 17 at 14:29
Oh, Ok thanks for the reply wave.
InFamousAnthuny
Posted on 03 August 17 at 17:08, Edited on 03 August 17 at 17:08 by InFamousAnthuny
allstar738 said:
Calm down there, cowboy.

1) It's called the Windows 10 version for a reason, so that's why it doesn't run on anything else.

2) Just because you don't have friends who play the Win 10 version, doesn't mean others don't. And considering just how painful the Java version is to set up a server to play with a friend, then yeah, the Win 10 version is better since you can just send a simple invite like every other game.

3) While you may play on some $6000 machine that MIGHT get rid of the awful studdering of Java, 99% of rational players will find that Win 10 runs smoother without hiccups.

Also, does it really matter to you that much if somebody else likes the Win 10 version over the Java version?
1. That was the point of what I said. He shouldn't use that as an argument for it being better. That's like saying Halo runs better on Xbox than Playstation.

2. I never implied I was talking about anything other than my personal experience. If I was throwing out generalizations, I would say something like "that 99% of rational C++ players you mentioned probably accounts for less than 5% of the people who play Minecraft on PC".

3. Chill on the hyberbole, a $500 PC can run all kinds of crap on Java with no efficiency loss.

No, but if I say I prefer the Java version and someone tells me C++ is better, am I not allowed to argue that fact? Does it really matter to you that someone wants to defend their preferred product?
JORAX
JORAX
Posted on 03 August 17 at 17:27
Shadow Kisuragi said:
Music box and diving are currently unobtainable on latest update for XB1.
Our team confirmed this issue and it is now being worked on. No ETA yet, sorry.
JORAX
JORAX
Posted on 03 August 17 at 17:28
reforc3 said:
Quick bug for you on the WIN10 version.

If there's one controller playing the game and a second controller is plugged and is pressed any button, the game crashes.
Thanks for the heads-up, I'll have this looked at ASAP!
Shadow Kisuragi
Posted on 03 August 17 at 17:34
No problem JORAX. If you have any questions on what's obtainable or not, check the flags. We've labeled ones that are broken on the latest releases with PDU. We've heard back that the Beta fixed the issues with Artificial Selection and Great View From Up Here unlocking on Windows 10, but not Inception.

Feel free to hit me up via PM if you need a status update, as we've been watching these fairly closely on the GI side.
JORAX
JORAX
Posted on 03 August 17 at 18:04
I thought Inception worked, but only for hosts? I recall getting it that way. Is it completely borked now?
KenH2k4
KenH2k4
Posted on 03 August 17 at 18:07, Edited on 03 August 17 at 18:08 by KenH2k4
Great View unlocked on Win 10 but it's back to the progress bar only moving a little bit each time. I had to meet the requirement many times to get it to work.
Shadow Kisuragi
Posted on 03 August 17 at 18:14, Edited on 03 August 17 at 18:22 by Shadow Kisuragi
Yeah, Ken, heard it might be 500 instead of 50. And yes, completely borked now on Inception, but do not know if it was tested Host Only on Beta yet.
FatalTortoise
FatalTortoise
Posted on 03 August 17 at 18:56
Why didn't they just call it the beta together?
Beginer To Pro
Posted on 03 August 17 at 19:25
So no Hope for 5. Lamas in beta? PE:Android
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.