Site Wishlist Forum

Got some ideas about how to make the site better? Post them here

Direct Messages notifications

AuthorMessage
MasterTimos
MasterTimos
Posted on 10 August 17 at 08:55
I think it would be a great idea and a useful tool if we could get a popup notification when we receive messages from others. As it is now, unless someone refreshes their page, there's no way to know if someone has messaged them. I personally message a lot of people who are on site but it could take hours for them to see the message.

Something similar to Facebook's notification system would be helpful.
FFX Brotherhood
Posted on 10 August 17 at 16:59
While it could be useful, I don't tend to hang around on a certain page for too long anyway. Because I load new pages, the message notification comes up pretty quickly.

So while I think your idea is useful, I personally don't feel it's too necessary. I'm also unaware how much work it would require dev side to implement something like it.
I do like it when the red stuff comes out.
LuckyConquerer2
Posted on 11 August 17 at 02:29
I echo FFX on this.
Twinkling82
Twinkling82
Posted on 11 August 17 at 14:34
FFX Brotherhood said:
While it could be useful, I don't tend to hang around on a certain page for too long anyway. Because I load new pages, the message notification comes up pretty quickly.

So while I think your idea is useful, I personally don't feel it's too necessary. I'm also unaware how much work it would require dev side to implement something like it.
When I play and I have a gamepage up or even just a single achievement up, it can be hours before I refresh the page, mostly to check for new posts in my threads. i suggested the notification as well in another thread where someone wanted an online/offline light on people in any given boosting session.
Looking for writers for gamingirl.com. PM me for more information.
FFX Brotherhood
Posted on 11 August 17 at 20:59
Twinkling82 said:
FFX Brotherhood said:

When I play and I have a gamepage up or even just a single achievement up, it can be hours before I refresh the page, mostly to check for new posts in my threads. i suggested the notification as well in another thread where someone wanted an online/offline light on people in any given boosting session.
I think it's very much how much you think you'll use it. Even if I have a game page up for achievements, I will still refresh or open a new tab for a different part of TA fairly regularly. So for me, this feature wouldn't benefit me a lot. It'll be different for everyone though.
DrMmmPie
DrMmmPie
Posted on 12 August 17 at 20:07
If you have it set to receive emails when you get a pm, and have your emails set to refresh fairly frequently, couldn't you set your emails to pop up and tell you, that you have a new mail, and thus a pm?
Note: This post contains my personal opinion. So don't hate on it.
Twinkling82
Twinkling82
Posted on 12 August 17 at 20:10
DrMmmPie said:
If you have it set to receive emails when you get a pm, and have your emails set to refresh fairly frequently, couldn't you set your emails to pop up and tell you, that you have a new mail, and thus a pm?
depending on the service/software, yes.
Looking for writers for gamingirl.com. PM me for more information.
MasterTimos
MasterTimos
Posted on 13 August 17 at 11:00
Twinkling82 said:
FFX Brotherhood said:

The usefulness of this being implemented certainly varies from gamer to gamer. In my case, i find it useful because i often try to find people to boost old games through the lists of gamers who want to boost a specific game and furthermore my messages target people who are "on site" at the specific time. In the majority of cases, i send the message to someone who is on site but it can take them hours or even days before the message is even seen, probably because they just closed up the page without refreshing it.
FFX Brotherhood
Posted on 13 August 17 at 13:11
I just can't imagine people not checking the site or changing page often. I know it happens, so it's probably just because TA has become a like a morning and evening routine for me. Checking it in the morning, throughout the day and before I go to bed means I see messages within a few hours at most but normally quicker. I know that's not for everyone though.

I'm not opposed to this like I said; I just personally don't see the use, but I guess people will hopefully chime in and we can see what others think.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.