Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Neverwinter (Hong Kong) Servers Shutting Down Next Month

• Skeptical MarioSkeptical Mario1,002,233
    Posted on 25 August 17 at 15:29
    Quick, everyone complete it!
  • The GlobalizerThe Globalizer1,396,175
    Posted on 25 August 17 at 15:49
    Come help us kill Tiamat!

j/k not going to happen. Wish I could carry over just one of my 100+ kills of Tiamat from the main version of the game.
  • YODA12320YODA123201,924,886
    Posted on 25 August 17 at 15:57
    It's bc of the players required to do and have a stable enough connection todo it on. Not to mention required character classes and gear lol..
    Regards;Yoda12320
  • Zorlac0666Zorlac0666192,250
    Posted on 25 August 17 at 16:19
    YODA12320 said:
    It's bc of the players required to do and have a stable enough connection todo it on. Not to mention required character classes and gear lol..
    I mean, welcome to mmos, and welcome to 2017 right?
  • YODA12320YODA123201,924,886
    Posted on 25 August 17 at 16:27
    Zorlac0666 said:
    YODA12320 said:
    I mean, welcome to mmos, and welcome to 2017 right?
    ya I was respond to the article about the achievement not being done and being sarcastic about someone completing it lol.
    Regards;Yoda12320
  • OnsidicOnsidic1,010,722
    Posted on 25 August 17 at 17:19
    I had actually been wondering if the shutting down of these servers has to do with the fact that a new law(over there) requires games with loot boxes (gambling) have to display the chance rates of items vs rarity.
    Closing down - they dont have to reveal it at all, and they can keep it secret from anyone else in the world.
  • GrimaceTheGreyGrimaceTheGrey1,069,365
    Posted on 25 August 17 at 17:34
    Can't blame them for not wanting to support a version of the game that no one is playing. I wonder how many players in that region actually play a different version of the game so they have people to play with?
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 25 August 17 at 18:11
    Onsidic said:
    I had actually been wondering if the shutting down of these servers has to do with the fact that a new law(over there) requires games with loot boxes (gambling) have to display the chance rates of items vs rarity.
    Closing down - they dont have to reveal it at all, and they can keep it secret from anyone else in the world.
    Do you have a link to something detailing that law? I'm curious about how they're handling it
  • Posted on 25 August 17 at 18:29
    Vitiated1 said:
    Onsidic said:
    Do you have a link to something detailing that law? I'm curious about how they're handling it
    oooh.... this sounds really interesting.

Also, what I hear far too often, people just get back into playing the game after a break, anywhere from 2 weeks to a year break, and suddenly get lots of goodies. Year break, gets VIP, and gets a Glorious Resurgence Box. A personal friend of mine, I got him back into playing Neverwinter after he had taken a LONG break. His 2nd key I think was a Legendary pack? Another friend, got a Legendary pack quite soon, his first 50 keys or something? I used over 1000 keys and got one Leg pack.
    There was another person, regularly gets nothing good, stops for 2 weeks, starts again and quickly gets 3 epic items.

I'm suspicious.
  • TheMaizeTheMaize1,362,113
    Posted on 25 August 17 at 18:34
    Onsidic said:
    I believe that was mainland china, and not hong kong who got that law.
    And noone would have stopped them from boosting the droprate in hong kong.

I believe it has more to do with noone playing it...even when it was new, i couldnt find enough people to do a dungeon or start a pvp match.
    And it sounds like they are closing the office entirely end 2017. So that propably means the servers would have to be moved aswell.
  • DANIELJJ14DANIELJJ141,575,441
    Posted on 25 August 17 at 19:13
    Onsidic said:
    Blizzard had trouble with this law in mainland China with hearthstone card packs, so instead they just sell dust and give you free card packs with your dust. As a filthy loophole to get around revealing the actual percentage chances of card drop rates.

This does raise a major issue with games and loot boxes in general though because it is effectively unregulated gambling in video games where even children are exposed to it.
    It genuinely wouldn't surprise me if these things get stamped out over the next few years if American or European laws change to include loot boxes under gambling laws which they 100% should be.

Okay developer I'll put my money on 42 now spin the wheel! headspin
  • blueracer442blueracer442703,943
    Posted on 25 August 17 at 19:52
    I guess maybe I shouldn't have dove this sitting the Bean Dive. Looks like I'm getting a bunch more discontinued achievements.
    Stay Classy TA
  • The GlobalizerThe Globalizer1,396,175
    Posted on 25 August 17 at 20:04
    Onsidic said:
    Not familiar with that law; could have played a role, but more likely due to the consistently low population of users. There were times that I logged on and I was in instance #1 of Protector's Enclave, and was the only one on it. Plus, Neverwinter is very much an economy-based MMO; not enough users = non-functioning economy. Created a lot of gating issues into top-tier content, such as Tiamat.
  • BsmittelBsmittel1,049,327
    Posted on 25 August 17 at 20:08
    It will be interesting when someone in government's kid goes on an unauthorized spending spree for Overwatch and Dota boxes. I'll laugh when Blizzard and Valve get dragged before congress.
  • Zorlac0666Zorlac0666192,250
    Posted on 25 August 17 at 20:35
    Bsmittel said:
    It will be interesting when someone in government's kid goes on an unauthorized spending spree for Overwatch and Dota boxes. I'll laugh when Blizzard and Valve get dragged before congress.
    I'm pretty sure congress has more important things to be dealing with.
  • OnsidicOnsidic1,010,722
    Posted on 25 August 17 at 21:11
    Vitiated1 said:
    Onsidic said:
    Try these:
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/2/15517962/china-new-law-dot...

https://www.pcgamesn.com/china-loot-box-regulations

http://kotaku.com/china-passes-law-forcing-games-with-loot-b...
  • mcnichojmcnichoj220,446
    Posted on 25 August 17 at 21:47
    Onsidic said:
    It's its own ecosystem on HK server version, so they could just make their drop rates whatever they want them to be.

Another big MMO was shut down in Asia recently with the Chinese PS4 version of Warframe. My guess is most Chinese players are either on PC or had downloaded the western version for the larger playerbase.
  • Burnah BrosBurnah Bros339,120
    Posted on 25 August 17 at 22:01
    Loot boxes are not gambling! Every time you open a loot box you win. How is that gambling? I wish Las Vegas worked that way. How nice would it be if every time you bet you got your money back and sometimes you got 100x your money back? That's what Loot boxes are, you never lose out. It's not a games fault if people are so stupid that they spend money to open 1000 loot boxes to gain 1 item that they think has value but have no real value. Loot boxes are a nice little extra if you feel like opening them but are completely unnecessary for enjoying the game.
    Burnah Bros
  • GiinceeGiincee484,637
    Posted on 25 August 17 at 23:39
    I had both versions of Neverwinter and this version just disappeared from my HDD. Did someone else had the same issue?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.