Site News

Forum to discuss TA news items. Only TrueAchievement can post here

Achievement Help Request

• Information
    Posted on 07 May 09 at 08:19
    A feature that many people have been wanting for a while now is the ability to register the fact you require help getting a certain achievement.

It may be that there are no solutions currently available, or one that is there isn't helping you.

So now you can click the help button under an achievement image to register your need - you can put an optional message and also flag the achievement so that as soon as there is a solution you will be PM'd. If the solution helps you, you can click a link to register that fact, and then we'll have eventually end up with some leaderboards for the most helpful solution writers - nice!

I've also updated everyone's homepages so that you can see when they were last on the TA site alongside their Xbox status.

And I've also added the TA Ratio to all achievement panels - I'm not 100% sure I like the current look of it, but it's a tricky one to make look nice. It certainly shows you quite clearly how the TA score is calculated.

Thanks all!
  • MortyDiceMortyDice177,681
    Posted on 07 May 09 at 08:30
    Thanks TA!

It's still good-looking anyway, and we all appreciate your hard efforts.
    Boost calendar: google.com/calendar/embed?src=vpohhml71a5402cn5vuqq0dnpc%40group.calendar.google.com
  • Ashen SeraphAshen Seraph1,055,523
    Posted on 07 May 09 at 08:33
    All good, but I'm leery of a solution writer leaderboard... seems like it would cause a lot of neg voting in attempt to get to be the leader of it.
    TA Clan - Can you really decide to be indecisive?
  • Dark Cell NZDark Cell NZ170,058
    Posted on 07 May 09 at 08:35
    Love the TA ratio on the achievements. Makes it easier to calculate without having to go to about 3 other screens.
  • BLYASTBLYAST1,166,562
    Posted on 07 May 09 at 08:36
    Great update!! Love the ratio being displayed on the game pages.

Seraphim Needed said:
    All good, but I'm leery of a solution writer leaderboard... seems like it would cause a lot of neg voting in attempt to get to be the leader of it.
    I agree here, not sure if this is the best idea.
    -|TA Clan|- How many Noobs could Noob-Smoke Smoke if Noob-Smoke could Smoke Noobs?
    Posted on 07 May 09 at 08:49
    Yeah solution spamming sure isn't the right way to do it.

TA, back on TA ratios, could you just reduce the size of the figure? They feel too big that's why you don't like how it looks.
    Boost calendar: google.com/calendar/embed?src=vpohhml71a5402cn5vuqq0dnpc%40group.calendar.google.com
  • Weapon360Weapon360362,875
    Posted on 07 May 09 at 08:51
    Not a fan of the Leaderboard idea either. If anything, it would not only promote unnecessary negative feedback for solutions but promote feedback only for those players that happen to give solutions to extremely popular games. It could also cause some people to take solutions from other sites which is something we don't need at all (solution stealing, I mean).
    Play Everything!
  • Posted on 07 May 09 at 09:08
    The leaderboard isn't happening at the moment, and I don't think I've explained it properly either.

When you say you want to be PM'd when a solution is posted, you get a link to thank the writer. That's it really, there's no way of negative voting on this at all.
  • Ashen SeraphAshen Seraph1,055,523
    Posted on 07 May 09 at 09:11
    If you do a leaderboard based on that it wouldn't be fair to those who write solutions before they are asked for...
    TA Clan - Can you really decide to be indecisive?
    Posted on 07 May 09 at 09:16
    Don't jump the gun, TA didn't create any leaderboard yet. I don't remember him creating things that were flawed from the start so trust him.
  • Posted on 07 May 09 at 09:31
    You the man TA!
  • Nodwarves4uNodwarves4u457,835
    Posted on 07 May 09 at 09:34
    Sounds great. Would we see that someone needs solutions on the game page? And if that is the case is there anyway we could have a page dedicated to needed solutions. I.E. under site pages or useful links. It would make it much easier for those of us trying to write solutions than having to manually look through all the achievements. Thanks for all your hard work TA. I think I understand the proposed leader board and think it would be a cool idea.
  • GremUKGremUK313,680
    Posted on 07 May 09 at 09:58
    Nodwarves4u said:
    ... is there anyway we could have a page dedicated to needed solutions. I.E. under site pages or useful links. It would make it much easier for those of us trying to write solutions than having to manually look through all the achievements...
    Thats what I was going to ask. I think (if its possible) there should be a needed solutions page. It would probably get more people adding solutions also.
    GSSP - The Intelligent Choice
  • Posted on 07 May 09 at 10:31
    I might be a bit simple here, but how will you know if someone has requested help for an achievement that you have?

Apologies if i'm being completely stupid, i don't want the GSSP on my case...
    Join the vertical and proud leaderboard today!
  • BleakdestinyBleakdestiny192,311
    Posted on 07 May 09 at 10:36
    o.O I don't like how for some reason everything is lined up to the left side instead of neatly in the middle >.>
  • Mr J1mMr J1m447,702
    Posted on 07 May 09 at 11:02, Edited on 07 May 09 at 11:02 by Mr J1m
    Great stuff. I'm with you, not sure I like the display of the little calculation bit, could this not be incorporated into the bar underneath.

For example:-

5,186 tracked gamers have this achievement (41%) => TA ratio = 1.56

Just a thought!
  • SpilnerSpilner1,042,519
    Posted on 07 May 09 at 11:22
    Good job TA im liking the solution request and the way yyou've described the leaderboard i like the sound of that too
  • zigs00zigs00217,810
    Posted on 07 May 09 at 11:31
    I TeMpLaR I UK said:
    I might be a bit simple here, but how will you know if someone has requested help for an achievement that you have?

Apologies if i'm being completely stupid, i don't want the GSSP on my case...
    Agree with this, bit confused myself.

also, how come you can only request solutions on achievements you haven't done?
    [03:31:47] MortyDice: you mischievous bastard :D [03:32:03] MortyDice: but that's how we like you
  • Posted on 07 May 09 at 11:44
    I like the ratios on display more
    Mr J1m said:
    Great stuff. I'm with you, not sure I like the display of the little calculation bit, could this not be incorporated into the bar underneath.

For example:-

5,186 tracked gamers have this achievement (41%) => TA ratio = 1.56

Just a thought!
    But this sounds like a good idea!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 07 May 09 at 11:52
    I'd like to be able to see which achievements I have that someone wants a solution to. I've only written a few so far as I think a lot of achievements are self-explaining and I hate to state the obvious :)
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.