Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

F1 2017 Review

AuthorMessage
Nexus Grunt
Nexus Grunt
Posted on 01 September 17 at 23:17
Almost two excellent games for the price of one

Please click here to read the story: F1 2017 Review
Sky Maniac
Sky Maniac
Posted on 01 September 17 at 23:40, Edited on 01 September 17 at 23:41 by Sky Maniac
Good review,
it's a solid game just with a few bugs, but they seem to be getting fixed quickly.

"but the AI doesn't seem overly aggressive and certainly none have gone all-out Vettel."
I've seen some quentionable AI behaviour so not ruling that out yet!

"For those using wheels, the force feedback is a little intense by default but there are many settings to tweak to match your own preference."
This is the only thing in the review I disagree with, the force feedback is pretty weak (atleast using the G920 anyway)
AllaHeterSven
AllaHeterSven
Posted on 02 September 17 at 04:32
Really good review! Will definitely get this game soon!
Yellows OUFC
Yellows OUFC
Posted on 02 September 17 at 07:18
Nice review. Reaching rank 50 for the champion star is quite a grind, but I'm not far away.
DBB Klikopedia
Posted on 02 September 17 at 08:29
Glad yesterday morning the big issue with online is fixed, but my opinion stays that Online is bad accesable for new players. And that online needs a Public mode where collisions are off, as sadfull 1/3th of the people can't drive and/or on purpuse crash into others (yesterday got Terminal Damage because of someone waited a lap to crash into others).

And still they have to fix few other bugs in career and online
Mixer & YT: KlikoTV | Twitter: @Klikopedia
AllaHeterSven
AllaHeterSven
Posted on 02 September 17 at 16:18, Edited on 02 September 17 at 16:20 by AllaHeterSven
DBB Klikopedia said:
And that online needs a Public mode where collisions are off, as sadfull 1/3th of the people can't drive and/or on purpuse crash into others (yesterday got Terminal Damage because of someone waited a lap to crash into others).
Always wondered who buys a racing game like F1 or FM just to crash into people... strange kind of people.
DBB Klikopedia
Posted on 02 September 17 at 17:10
AllaHeterSven said:
Always wondered who buys a racing game like F1 or FM just to crash into people... strange kind of people.
I don't know if they buy it to just crash into people. NFS, Grid/Dirt, Forza Horizon, etc, there aren't rules. Some people think, that such things then also apply to F1, Project Cars, FM, etc. Within this last group even in Forza Motorsport there are no punishments for Intentionally Crashing Into Others, etc. Outside that it's in the code of conduct not allowed to do, MS badly take actions against it. So people don't learn from it.

First crash is good example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8nfgBg0gz8
Mixer & YT: KlikoTV | Twitter: @Klikopedia
AllaHeterSven
AllaHeterSven
Posted on 03 September 17 at 03:55
DBB Klikopedia said:Yea incredible... And today I played some FM6 online and now when it's free to play this weekend it felt like half of the grid tried out the game for the first time and thought it was soo funny to see what happens when you slam into other cars...
Nexus Grunt
Nexus Grunt
Posted on 03 September 17 at 08:32
Sky Maniac said:
"For those using wheels, the force feedback is a little intense by default but there are many settings to tweak to match your own preference."
This is the only thing in the review I disagree with, the force feedback is pretty weak (atleast using the G920 anyway)
Thanks for the feedback about the feedback laugh. I used a Thrustmaster TX setup with the F1 Wheel Rim. The game recognised it automatically so I didn't have to calibrate it, but I noticed that all of the default settings were set at 10. I only have one setup so I can't compare, but I'm glad you pointed it out.

DBB Klikopedia said:
Glad yesterday morning the big issue with online is fixed, but my opinion stays that Online is bad accesable for new players. And that online needs a Public mode where collisions are off, as sadfull 1/3th of the people can't drive and/or on purpuse crash into others (yesterday got Terminal Damage because of someone waited a lap to crash into others).
This is one of the difficulties with reviewing the online part. During the early part of the review -- effectively up until the release date -- there was no-one online. So I couldn't get a decent view of it. Luckily, the players who pre-ordered or picked up a day one release -- I'm assuming -- must be the real (hardcore) fans of the title, and with those players, I had some really online races -- no deliberate collisions and some players even apologised when bumping shock ... and the banter was good too.

Unfortunately, I always state these days, you're always at the mercy of your fellow players, and sadly, regardless of the genre, there's always a small group that will grief or troll other players.

Last point -- The host of the online session can actually switch collisions on/off, it's tucked away in the settings, so in the worst case scenario, you can always host races and be in control of that switch wink
SlipKnoT 008
SlipKnoT 008
Posted on 03 September 17 at 17:31
Very pleased with this game, I had 2015 and skipped 2016. This was certainly a day one buy for me as I love F1.

Haven't dabbled too much into the online yet because of that early DQ bug but by the sounds of it being fixed, i'll be doing a bit of the online and hopefully get rooms with decent people, not ones thinking they are playing Burnout.
Blue n Gold Eel
Posted on 04 September 17 at 06:56, Edited on 04 September 17 at 07:21 by Blue n Gold Eel
4.5/5 LOL.
How about the screen tearing, it's worst than last years version.

The MP lobby is still broken in so, so many ways :(

When in MP the game gets stuck on loading screens and won't move forward until people quit, and if you quit you lose the XP from that race.

The MP penalty system is broken, when someone rams you from behind and pushes you across the grass the game penalises you for cutting a corner, resulting in a 10sec penalty.

Way too many load screens in MP, also way too many count down timers. You could be in a lobby of 15ppl and if 14 ready up the game continues to count down from a 40sec timer.

I also experienced the worst thing on MP so far. I just finished 2nd at Canada, and while the car was under the control of the AI it cut strait across the first corner and I got disqualified.

I haven't even started the SP yet, but 4.5/5 with comments like these...

"The MP was lag free and racing extremely competitive"

and

"Arguably the best in the series"

Says to me that we definitely played a different game lol.
What's a twip? something a wabbit is on when he wides on a twain - Elmer Fudd.
Sky Maniac
Sky Maniac
Posted on 04 September 17 at 08:13, Edited on 04 September 17 at 08:14 by Sky Maniac
Nexus Grunt said:
Sky Maniac said:
Thanks for the feedback about the feedback laugh. I used a Thrustmaster TX setup with the F1 Wheel Rim. The game recognised it automatically so I didn't have to calibrate it, but I noticed that all of the default settings were set at 10. I only have one setup so I can't compare, but I'm glad you pointed it out.
ahh with the Logitech G920, it recognised it but all parameters were at 0! spent a good hour or 2 on time trial getting it calibrated nicely.
SilentJay76
SilentJay76
Posted on 04 September 17 at 10:16
Man, I was a huge F1 fan back in the '90s. Completely lost all interest since the cars sound like a broken exhaust.
UncaringChaff
Posted on 04 September 17 at 20:15
One of the main criticisms of F1 2016 was that the R&D tree could be completed within 2-3 seasons despite you having a 10 season career. Now that Codemasters have addressed that problem by expanding the R&D they are getting complaints that it's going to take too much time. #

Sometimes the developers really can't win.
AllaHeterSven
AllaHeterSven
Posted on 05 September 17 at 05:52
SilentJay76 said:
Man, I was a huge F1 fan back in the '90s. Completely lost all interest since the cars sound like a broken exhaust.
You can't loose interest just because of the sound man?? The main thing is the racing! You're missing out on the best racing series in the world...
SilentJay76
SilentJay76
Posted on 05 September 17 at 10:37, Edited on 05 September 17 at 10:39 by SilentJay76
AllaHeterSven said:
SilentJay76 said:
You can't loose interest just because of the sound man?? The main thing is the racing! You're missing out on the best racing series in the world...
Watched a race a couple of weeks ago for the first time in ages. Honestly... doesn't look like I'm missing out on anything. Other than having a good laugh at the "metrosexual" drivers these days, and their cars with clothes hangers attached to the top for some reason.
Magiolo77
Magiolo77
Posted on 05 September 17 at 14:17
Hello friends.
Quick question. I just finished my first season driving a Mclaren at the formula 1 2017. I got all the goals and finished with a very good reputation. But at the end of the season no offers from another teams. That was a option available at the F1 2016. Is that available at the F1 2017?
Thank you!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.