Game Discussion: Cobalt

Cobalt Multi-Genre Discussion

• Information
    Posted on 07 September 17 at 04:05
    Please use this thread to discuss this game's classification under the multi-genre system.

If you disagree with the current genres, please click the "Add genre disagreement" button below.
  • Information
    Posted on 07 September 17 at 08:13
    SpiralGamerpro has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
    I would say that the single-player game (especially the speed challenges) is a 2D Platformer. I would also recommended leaving Action attached, as that's the best way I can think of to describe the multiplayer.
  • Zonrith1Zonrith1660,331
    Posted on 07 September 17 at 13:52
    Hmmm, this one is a bit nebulous (well, more than a bit). Most of the game does not seem to qualify as Platformer (on this site), as the environment is not the primary antagonist. But, as noted in the disagreement, the speed challenges would likely fall in that classification.

As an aside, Action will be out if we tag anything else, site management edict, so I can't counter that.

Given all that, I think I need to consider a mix of genres to capture the various concepts. I would appreciate thoughts on the following:
    Platformer: To deal with the challenges (namely speed, but to also capture its appearance in various modes to varying degrees)
    Run & Gun: I think this might clean up the rest of the single-player mechanics. It also emphasizes lesser-scale platforming aspects, which from footage I think this meets. Weapon upgrades is an optional component to the definition, and I know there are weapon pick-ups, so I think this might be a decent fit.
    Fighting: It appears some of the multiplayer modes are Battle Royale style. We've done this with a game like Small Arms. If it steals from Smash, it can be Fighting, even if it is more than 1v1.

So, in a nutshell, I'm suggesting removing Action and instead applying Platformer, Run & Gun, and Fighting. Thoughts?
    Eclectic Gamers Podcast: http://eclecticgamers.com
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 07 September 17 at 19:47
    I suppose that's fair. I agree that Run & Gun is a better way to describe the combat challenges. The multiplayer modes aren't exactly what I would consider Fighting, but I'm not really sure what else to call them.
    The people's champion! Well done for an amazing run, and for croaking with dignity. #TeamSporl4lyf - MalibuStacey85
  • Zonrith1Zonrith1660,331
    Posted on 20 September 17 at 13:24
    Discussing with Allg and misfit, we agreed on Platformer and Run & Gun, but decided Fighting probably wasn't a clean enough fit.

As such, the game is now Run & Gun + Platformer (Action has been removed).

This change has been applied to the 360 and Win10 versions tracked on this site as well. Thanks!
    Eclectic Gamers Podcast: http://eclecticgamers.com
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.