Game Discussion: ChromaGun Forum

ChromaGun Multi-Genre Discussion

AuthorMessage
Information Posted on 07 September 17 at 06:54
Please use this thread to discuss this game's classification under the multi-genre system.

If you disagree with the current genres, please click the "Add genre disagreement" button below.
Information Posted on 07 September 17 at 06:58
Fenom007 has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
I feel as though the genres should be the same as Portal, The Turing Test and Q.U.B.E. as these are all very similar games. Chromagun even acknowledges that it's copying Portal in many respects and jokes about the fact many times.
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 07 September 17 at 13:29
I am inclined, from what I've seen and read, to agree with dropping FPS from this (like Portal, you use a gun, but we've rejected games like Portal from the genre for not really meeting the marksmanship skill test, as the gun is really just a puzzle manipulation tool). However, unlike the games you've cited, I've not seen enough platforming elements to warrant recognition of that genre. I'll stand for correction if evidence is supplied. However, based off the submission, my current recommendation:
Remove: FPS
Eclectic Gamers Podcast: http://eclecticgamers.com
Vitiated1
Vitiated1
Posted on 17 September 17 at 16:57
Bumping for the new GT members
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 17 September 17 at 22:50, Edited on 17 September 17 at 23:46 by Allgorhythm
Zonrith1 said:
I am inclined, from what I've seen and read, to agree with dropping FPS from this (like Portal, you use a gun, but we've rejected games like Portal from the genre for not really meeting the marksmanship skill test, as the gun is really just a puzzle manipulation tool). However, unlike the games you've cited, I've not seen enough platforming elements to warrant recognition of that genre. I'll stand for correction if evidence is supplied. However, based off the submission, my current recommendation:
Remove: FPS
Concur with the definition to remove FPS. I recommend adding shoot 'em up and on rails. When we were discussing the shoot 'em up genres, we agreed that games that had game play similar to arcade games where the player followed a set route, had some limited movement to dodge, and, often, used some form of light gun as the controller would be classified as on On Rails Shoot 'em ups.

I also recommend changing the genres of the two games in the Portal Series to Shoot 'em up, On Rails as well. I believe they are both currently classified as puzzle, platformers and they are neither. These are all games like Virtua Cop, House of the Dead, the Death Crimson Series, etc.
Narcissist Code
Narcissist Code
Posted on 17 September 17 at 23:31
What the fuck did I just read...
The people's champion! Well done for an amazing run, and for croaking with dignity. #TeamSporl4lyf - MalibuStacey85
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 17 September 17 at 23:47
SpiralGamerpro said:
What the fuck did I just read...
Sorry. Quoted the wrong post. redface It's been edited.
Vitiated1
Vitiated1
Posted on 17 September 17 at 23:56
I very highly disagree...There's a huge difference between a game being On-Rails and it simply having a linear path. You can independently move your character around to any point you want in Portal or ChromaGun, On-Rails encapsulates games such as Rambo, Blue Estate, and Heavy Fire where you are being moved along a certain path with extremely limited control, hence the name. A train car can't deviate from the rails it's on, and neither can characters in On-Rails games.

As far as Shoot-em Up goes, I also disagree there. You can not fire large volleys of rounds in either of the Portal games, nor are you combating any enemies at all. An example of a shmup would be a game like DoDonPachi, BulletAsylum, or Deathsmiles where you are firing high numbers of bullets at large groups of enemies while simultaneously dodging their attacks, none of which is present in Portal or ChromaGun.

I believe they are both Puzzle and Platformer games, as they demonstrate tests of logic and item manipulation in the environment to progress (using the companion cube to open doors, then firing a portal through them in order to take the cube to the next door) and the use of maneuvering through jumps and physics to progress through your environment. ChromaGun seems only to be a Puzzle game while Portal demonstrates the signs of being both a Puzzle and Platformer game.
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 18 September 17 at 01:12
The TA definition of On Rails:

On Rails games give the player limited control of their avatar, usually around the immediate screen. The player does not control the path their avatar takes, as though they are tied to a rail.
This describes ChromaGun to a T. You have very limited movement and follow a set path through the game. When you get to the 'exit' door, you advance to the next section. Although you are using a standard controller, you are using it in the manner of a light gun to aim and shoot appropriate targets.

Arcade light gun games have consistently been referred to as on rail shooter:

https://www.giantbomb.com/rail-shooter/3015-320/games/

The games you site are cases in point. The PC versions of the games can all be played with a USB light gun. Here's a quote from the IGN review of Rambo:

Rambo: The Video Game is a light gun game without the light gun. Don’t be duped by the screenshots on the back of the box. It is not a regular first-person shooter; this is Time Crisis without the colourful plastic pistols.
ChromaGun plays very similarly to Rambo except your targets are more abstract and the use of colors increases the complexity of the shooting mechanics. The two Portal games do have some platformer characteristics. Although they don't conform to the precision and timing aspects expected in the TA definition, I would not object to them retaining the platform tag. I, personally, do not think ChromaGun complies with the TA definition of a puzzle game but I could be persuaded. For reference, I'll provide the TA definition:

Puzzle games come in a variety forms. Be it a jigsaw puzzle, a combinatorial problem, a vocabulary or an arithmetic challenge, or even a physics based puzzle. These games conceptually challenge the player to use logic to approach and solve situations.
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 18 September 17 at 02:08
Broadly, most of these I cannot support.

1) On Rails: I don't think the limited movement is meeting the standing definition. It very much is designed to capture games where you are moving along a rail with no movement control. Our slightly broader language (about limited control) is more about games where the movement is mostly on a rail but you have some degree of dodge/other control (case in point: Crimson Dragon Achievements).

Looking at this footage, ChromaGun seems to give you broad avatar control. Linear progression through the mission is no more On Rails than Gears of War levels would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7P_KcQoFpA

2) Shoot 'em up: TA site definition mandates enemies. Specifically, "while battling large numbers of weak enemies and dodging their fire". That's not optional. I've not seen this element in footage reviews (if it is there, please link it so I can take a look), so I think it cannot be applied with the standing definition.

3) Puzzle: I think Puzzle applies under the category "even a physics based puzzle". I see the colors as light manipulation (different light wavelengths accomplish your puzzle objectives). So, that's why I'm backing it.

My same broad thoughts apply to the Portal games, since they were mentioned. The only exception is a number of stages in Portal require you to execute precise jumps and movement while using your puzzle manipulation tool (the portal gun), so I think Platformer is also a proper tag. I've not seen that in ChromaGun's footage (again, please link if it exists so I can assess), hence why I think this game can stand as just Puzzle.

4) FPS: Allg and I both agree on removing FPS, so no additional comments on that.
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 18 September 17 at 13:35
After additional internal discussion, Misfit, Allg, and I have agreed that for this game Puzzle alone is the best fit. The changes have been made and are now live. Thanks to all for their patience and the discussion!
AP 8T8
AP 8T8
Posted on 21 September 17 at 05:24
This discussion should be deleted, absolute nonsense.
AP
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.

Account Settings

In order for TrueAchievements to track your games and achievements correctly, it is required that we have access to your achievements. If your achievements are not being scanned in, it is likely that your privacy settings are not allowing this. To correct this, please follow these instructions:

1. Log into https://www.xbox.com/

2. Click on My Account in the top toolbar.
My Account location.

3. Scroll down to Safety and select Manage my privacy and online safety.
Privacy and online safety location.

4. Scroll down to 'Others can'. You need to make sure that 'Everybody' can see your game and app history
Game and app history location.

These steps will allow TrueAchievements to update all of your achievements across all Xbox platforms.