Posted on 07 September 17 at 23:45
    I never knew I needed a T-Rex with armor until I saw a T-Rex with armor

Please click here to read the story: ARK: Survival Evolved Review
  • SashamorningSashamorning2,930,857
    Posted on 08 September 17 at 00:36
    toast
    Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. * I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
  • Posted on 08 September 17 at 00:37
    If you tame a dinosaur, is it still badass?
  • Posted on 08 September 17 at 00:37
    Just dropped my name in the hat for the code giveaways through the other post after reading this review. Watched people play this on Twitch but looks fun.
  • Skanker irlSkanker irl1,031,558
    Posted on 08 September 17 at 02:18
    An insanely fun and addictive game. If you are going to play multiplayer, which is a large part of the game's full experience, you will find that it is broken and has tons of flaws/glitches. Ones that could potentially lose you your character and hundreds of hours. Very grindy like the reviewer said, but rewarding.

I don't like when people say that it is a negative that the game lacks a tutorial. That is part of the survival experience, in my opinion. Good review though.
  • Legohead 1977Legohead 19772,102,504
    Posted on 08 September 17 at 09:16
    Interesting review for a game that really captured my interest initially, I do so want to love it, but it just seemed to get lost somewhere along the way.
    Legohead 1977
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 08 September 17 at 10:17
    Stop overrating games finally...
    Posted on 08 September 17 at 10:47
    Testave said:
    Stop overrating games finally...
    I don't really understand the statement, do you mean that you feel a rating between 61 and 70% is too high for this game?
    Legohead 1977
  • AlahertAlahert2,897,037
    Posted on 08 September 17 at 11:37
    Won one of the codes during the stream, gonna play it soon with a friend. Thanks a lot TA toast
    DARK 777
  • Spike2055Spike2055601,522
    Posted on 08 September 17 at 13:12, Edited on 08 September 17 at 13:14 by Spike2055
    None of the text is to small, unless you are playing on a small tv. Plus you can level up pretty fast, i can get to level 35 in about 2 hours. You can also start or join a tribe, and playing online will frustrate you, high level players will just kill you for fun, or knock you out and put handcuffs on you, fill your inventory with rocks and then you can't do anything until someone else removes the handcuffs or you die and respawn which can take sometime.
  • Posted on 08 September 17 at 13:25
    I'm guessing the reviewer didn't PVP to any scale other than a fist fight on a beach if at all?
    I fought in a war the other weekend, and it was thrilling, ended in a siege in a cave, we couldn't push in because of turrets, and they couldn't push out because we had superior tactics.

The run up to this siege involved a 6v5 Wyvern aerial battle, alot of explosives and some night time guerrilla fighting, and deploying of prebuilt items.

These guys wiped out several tribes the night before and deserved what was coming to them, but the thrill of crushing them, fighting down to the last drop of health on creatures that took a while to rear and train, there was excitement there a mere 30 hours of reviewing solo couldn't reveal.

Although this review is fair from a solo POV, it misses the bigger picture I feel, and the higher engrams are very reachable solo, once you understand that each tame harvests things better than other, so it is a very rewarding game for those to sink the time into it.

Personally I feel the admin commands detract from the game, by having everything you could want a few keystrokes away really kills what is an amazing game (bar the lag and D/C issues it's face through the preview, those weren't fun, most of which in my experience have been fixed), there's no challenge with them. The fun of taming a creature, then having to nervously gaurd it from anything nasty that might come. And then there's the thrill of hunting for fertilised Wyvern eggs.. i'm not giving any spoilers on that, but It's one of my fav things to do.

Granted, this game has it's problems, the devs are one of them, kinda feels like they're just learning to swim in a very big ocean, they're not punctual or consistent with what they say compared to what they do, but they deliver some amazing content.

This game is like an onion, once you get passed the initial layer of blotchy, brittle skin which is the UI and figuring out how the game works, there are so many joyous layers of sweet and bitter emotions that can be found here, losing your favourite tame can be heartbreaking.

Personally, I'd see it as a 4/5 game, it's not perfect, but 3.5 feels just a shy too low for this,

((this reviewer has spent 800 hours, not really sure how many achievements I have, has beaten a few bosses and have grown a tribe of 11 players now - extra people do help, but aren't strictly necessary))

This is my personal opinion at least :)
    Posted on 08 September 17 at 15:53, Edited on 08 September 17 at 15:53 by Legohead 1977
    It's always good when an online game has a particularly well balanced battle, I remember a few in my Planetside days, trouble was...this was dramatically overshadowed by the imbalanced fights.

I understand that the smaller servers should result in good fights, but my fear is that more often than not you will just encounter tools who would rather just crush people for fun.
    Legohead 1977
  • EveryBaseEveryBase545,956
    Posted on 08 September 17 at 17:40, Edited on 08 September 17 at 17:41 by EveryBase
    Gotta say wish i had waited to play this until launch so id enjoy it more but after playing 2 years from what it used to be and now what it is i just cant enjoy it nearly as much. Now that u can use cheat codes to do everything the game lost its mojo imo. N the final boss sucks srry to say. U can see they had ideas but just didnt get it done right. Wonder what they were up to all this time def wasnt spent doing an PR lol.
  • Skanker irlSkanker irl1,031,558
    Posted on 09 September 17 at 02:05
    Spike2055 said:
    None of the text is to small, unless you are playing on a small tv.
    No, it is too small. And I have a massive tv. You have to sit way up close to play compared to other games where I can chill on my couch at a decent distance.
  • SashamorningSashamorning2,930,857
    Posted on 09 September 17 at 03:40
    I second that, the text is rather small.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. ~W.S. * I guess I'm not witty. ~Sasha
  • Posted on 09 September 17 at 11:34
    After reading this review, I highly doubt I would play this. I don't have the patience for a game like this. I like to play, finish the story campaign, and go on to the next game. This would just make me quit after 5 minutes.
  • Posted on 10 September 17 at 02:19
    Many of the larger pvp tribes have duplicated the shit out of everything. Used to play this all the time but that glitch ruined pvp permanently for me. Also tribes can move server to server at whim so just because it's peaceful on a particular server at the moment, doesn't mean it'll stay that way.
    Banana Big Boys
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads