Community Events Forum

Ultimate Head-to-Head Contest 3 - FAQ and Rules

AuthorMessage
WebChimp UK
WebChimp UK
Posted on 08 September 17 at 10:03, Edited on 18 September 17 at 18:39 by WebChimp UK
Ultimate Head To Head Contest 3 Rules

The Ultimate Head to Head contest (“UHH”) is an elimination event running over multiple contest periods.

At the start of each period, players are paired up using an algorithm* and given a list of 20 achievements that they both have yet to unlock, in games they both own. They have until the end of the period to earn as many of the listed achievements as they can, and have them scanned into the site before the end of the period. The winner of that head to head match is the player that earns the most achievements from the list.

If both players earn the same number of achievements, the player with the higher unique (ie an achievement they have won but their opponent has not) TrueAchievement ratio in the listed achievements they’ve won in the period at the time they unlocked it is given the win. If this is also tied, the player that earned their last achievement sooner is given the win.

If both players fail to earn a single achievement, they are both given a loss for that match-up.

Group Stage
During the first four periods, known as the Group Stage, there will be no eliminations.

Contestants will earn points as follows:

1 point for every listed achievement earned
10 points for a match-up win

At the end of the Group Stage, players will therefore have a maximum of 120 points (80 achievements and four wins).

At the end of Period 4, players will be ranked on their points. The top 256 gamers will go through to the knockout stage. The rest of the field will continue into a "just for fun" group stage with no eliminations if they've opted to take part in it or be eliminated if not. If there is a tie on points scored for the 256th place, the person with the most group stage wins will go through. If that is also a tie, the highest ratio achievement at time of unlock from the group stage will go through.

Knockout Stage
From Period 5 onwards the contest takes a knockout format - the winner of each matchup will go through to the next period and the loser is eliminated.

Full contest schedule:
8th Sep 2017 - Registration opens
14th Sep 2017 - Registration closes

Group Stage
18th Sep 2017 - Round 1 starts
25th Sep 2017 - Round 2 starts
2nd Oct 2017 - Round 3 starts
9th Oct 2017 - Round 4 starts
16 Oct 2017 - "Just for fun" group stage starts

Knock Out Stage
16th Oct 2017 - Round 5
23rd Oct 2017 - Round 6
30th Oct 2017 - Round 7
6th Nov 2017 - Round 8
13th Nov 2017 - Round 9
20th Nov 2017 - Quarter Finals
27th Nov 2017 - Semi Finals
4th Dec 2017 - Final
11th Dec 2017 - Winner crowned

Note: If we are unable to match all 20 locked achievements for a head to head pairing across a reasonable spread of games, we will choose different locked achievements for each gamer with as close as possible TA Ratios. These will then count as the same achievement for the purposes of scoring.

* The algorithms
*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***

Registration Requirements
In order to register for the event, you need to have at least 2,500 locked achievements in at least 50 games that satisfy the following conditions:

From console games (Xbox One, Xbox 360 or Xbox Live Arcade) - not apps
Not in non-Title Update DLC packs
Listed as Owned or Games With Gold in My Game Collection
Excluding unobtainable or discontinued achievements (according to our flags)
Have at least

This means that if you intend to enter, you need to make sure your Game Collection is up to date before registration closes as you may be given achievements in any of your owned games.

You can choose whether to include only started (at least one achievement earned) or all owned games in your collection in your achievement pool.

To qualify for the knock-out stage, you can only have a maximum of 10% of your valid games set to something other than "Owned" or "Games with Gold".

Gamers must also have full tracking status on TrueAchievements and have a minimum of 5,000 GamerScore.

We will check the registration requirements at the point of registration, but also as soon as registration closes. If you do not meet the requirements at that point then you will have their registration removed.

At the point of registration closing, we will snapshot the achievements for each valid player and store them in a pool. We will use these achievements for the duration of the contest (achievements won during the contest that aren’t on the target list will be removed from that player’s pool automatically). Games removed from a game collection during the contest will not be removed from that person’s pool. Games started or added to the collections that were previously not in the pool will be added at the beginning of each period, prior to the matching algorithms being run.

As we need an even number of players for this contest, if there is an odd number at the time of registration closing we will remove the last person to register from the event, So if you want to play, get registered early!

Period Start and End Times
Periods will start on Monday at 2pm UTC, and close on the following Monday at 8am UTC. This allows the dev team 6 hours to ensure the best match ups possible for the following period. Match ups and achievement lists will be released at the start of the period.

Achievement wins during 6 hour matching period
Achievements won during this time and scanned into TA will be removed from the achievement pool before the achievement list is built at the start of the period.
Achievements won during this time and not scanned into TA until after the start of the following period will count as valid wins if they are on the target achievement list for the next period.

Online Achievements
Only achievements with timestamps that are scanned into TrueAchievements during the period will count for that period.

Maintaining Locked Achievement Count
Competitors need to maintain at least valid 2,000 locked achievements (as specified above) during the duration of the contest. If they drop below this, they will be notified at the end of the period and have until the end of the following period to get back above 2,000. If they do not do so, they will be disqualified from the contest.

The Prizes
Last 4: 6 months of TrueAchievements Pro and Bronze medal in community event panel on their homepage
Runner up: 1 year of TrueAchievements Pro and Silver medal in community event panel on their homepage
Winner: 2 years of TrueAchievements Pro, Gold medal in community event panel on their homepage, and a TrueAchievements T-Shirt from the next batch of official merchandise that is produced.

Scanner Issues
In the case of Xbox Live or TrueAchievements a period of sustained downtime that prevents achievements unlocks and/or scans, we reserve the right to extend the period at our discretion.

Done Unlocking Issues
Achievements only count when they are scanned into TrueAchievements. Done Unlocking issues are unfortunate but cannot be accounted for - achievements must be scanned in during the appropriate period to count.

Expulsions
TrueAchievements reserves the right to remove anyone from the contest who has their tracking status changed, requests to leave the site or is banned from the site, or who is judged to be bringing the contest into disrepute. In this instance, their opponent for the round will be given the win by default.

Questions
Please feel free to post all questions in the Ultimate Head-to-Head Contest 3 - Questions and Discussion thread.

Thanks angelsk for these:

angelsk said:
What counts as a started game for the competition?

This depends on the settings you chose during registration (check that here: UHH3 Registration).

Started Games Only: If you've unlocked an achievement in a game (including in a Title Update or DLC)
In Collection: Game has been added to My Game Collection with an ownership status of Owned or Games with Gold - either manually, or through unlocking an achievement as above.

How do I change the ownership status of a game?

NOTE: Only games set to Owned or Games with Gold will be included in the competition.

1. Go to My Game Collection.
2. Depending on which view you have set, do the following:

IMAGE VIEW:
Hover over the image for the game, it will change to "Edit". Click on this, and you will get a pop down with options. Change the "Ownership Status".

LIST VIEW:
Click on the "Edit" button at the end of the game row, and you will get the same pop down with options. Change the "Ownership Status".

Help! I can't see my game to change the status / I cannot add a game to my games collection

You have probably set the game to be hidden. Hidden games, don't show in some places on the site, but are still on your tag and are still valid for the competition (if the ownership status matches). To unhide a game from your collection go to the Game page and click on the button that says "Game" on the left hand side under the picture of the game. Then click on "Restore to My Games and Session Calendar". It should appear again.

If I start a new game, can achievements from it be chosen in the next UHH rounds?

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, yes. However, you can change the ownership status of your game if you don't want it to be picked (e.g: you played a demo/ EA Access game etc; or you just want to enjoy a new game)

I unlocked an achievement on my UHH list and it's showing up on TA but I didn't get the tick

Unfortunately, this means you unlocked the achievement offline (on the 360). These achievements show up without a timestamp and just show as "Unlocked". Achievements unlocked offline do not count towards the competition because there is no way to verify exactly when you earned them. You can check on your profile on xbox.com, and it will say if it was earned offline. TA can not do anything about this, and it will not count towards UHH.

Help! I unlocked an achievement offline, what can I do?

If the achievement has synced to xbox.com (and can be scanned by TA), because your Xbox reconnected to Xbox live, then sadly you are out of luck - and there's nothing anyone can do.

HOWEVER, if the achievement has not yet synced, then immediately disconnect your Xbox from the internet or turn off your router (or whatever internet device you have). Delete your profile from your Xbox. Reconnect your internet, and connect to Xbox Live. Re-download your profile. The achievement you unlocked offline will be gone; and you will have to re-earn it. Depending on the game you may have to re-meet the requirements, or it may pop when you load the game (or something else).

How do I check if I'm online on Xbox 360 / Xbox One with Backwards Compatiblity?

Being offline on the Xbox One doesn't matter, your achievements will sync with a timestamp when you go back online. But when you're using the Xbox 360 or on the One via Backward Compatibility, you may want to minimise the likelihood of being offline.

Tip 1: Check the 360 menu to check you are connected before getting to the point of unlocking the achievement. The Xbox button on the 360 controller, or cn_back and cn_start on the One controller.
Tip 2: If you have to download an update, once the game has reloaded check you are connected to live before continuing.
Tip 3: If you can, avoid using Backwards Compatibility on the One if you have issues with staying connected to Live through it.
Tip 4: Be in an Xbox Live Party of one. That way if you're disconnected, and it doesn't tell you, then you will get a notification about being unable to connect to the party instead.
Tip 5: Keep checking you're online, especially if you're close to unlocking the achievement.
Tip 6: See Help! I unlocked an achievement offline, what can I do? if you get unlucky.

How do I see how many valid achievements I have left for the competition?

One of the rules is that you must keep your valid locked achievement count above 2000 during the competition. You can check how many valid achievements you have here: UHH3 Registration

I set the ownership status of a game to something other than Owned or Games with Gold and it still got picked, why is this?

Once registration closed on the 14th September, your initial game collection was locked and the initial pool of achievements can only be reduced by unlocked achievements. If you didn't change the game status before then, then changing it now won't work.

For new games started after 14th September, you need to change the status BEFORE the end of the current period. Any game still valid once achievements are starting to be picked in the matchups, will become part of the achievement pool.

I was looking at someone else's profile and I saw green bars on some of the games/ achievements, what are they?

When you look at someone's else profile and their UHH list, it shows a green line under those games that you own, in case they're a friend and you can help them out with winning them :)

All the achievements on my UHH list are for one console, is there a setting somewhere to change this?

Nope, you've not missed a setting. Your achievements are picked from common games between you and your opponent. If either of you has a majority on one console, then it's more than likely you will have your list just from that console.

What is a pudding?

Someone who doesn't unlock any achievements in their list in a particular round of UHH - basically giving their competitor a free win.
LovelyBirch
96,692 96,692 GamerScore
LovelyBirch
Posted on 08 September 17 at 15:42
I have a question in these rules it doesn't state that you have to be fully tracked on TA to take part however when you try to register it won't allow due to not being fully tracked please can the rules be amended
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 08 September 17 at 15:56
LovelyBirch said:
I have a question in these rules it doesn't state that you have to be fully tracked on TA to take part however when you try to register it won't allow due to not being fully tracked please can the rules be amended
Yes, it does state that:
Gamers must also have full tracking status on TrueAchievements and have a minimum of 5,000 GamerScore.
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
LovelyBirch
96,692 96,692 GamerScore
LovelyBirch
Posted on 08 September 17 at 16:13
Thank you for that I missed that thank you :)
Inferno118
Inferno118
Posted on 08 September 17 at 17:20
How do u take games out of ur collection? I had thought I did it correctly by pressing the negative button next to the game under the "my game" tab but it still says I have 180 games not completed in one of the links
Dibbs93
Dibbs93
Posted on 08 September 17 at 17:41
Same Inferno118 said:
How do u take games out of ur collection? I had thought I did it correctly by pressing the negative button next to the game under the "my game" tab but it still says I have 180 games not completed in one of the links
Having same issue
JamP0und32
JamP0und32
Posted on 08 September 17 at 17:52
So, what's the rule on matching up with people you've already played? Is it the matchups from both uhh's or just the last one.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 08 September 17 at 18:19
JamP0und32 said:
So, what's the rule on matching up with people you've already played? Is it the matchups from both uhh's or just the last one.
It's in the post as well:
We start with the players with the lowest "best match" and pair them with their best match, remove both of those from the pool, and then keep going until we’ve matched everyone.
Players will not be matched with someone they have previously played in any UHH contest.
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
JamP0und32
JamP0und32
Posted on 08 September 17 at 18:26
Ooops, skimmed over that. toast
angelsk
angelsk
Posted on 08 September 17 at 18:31
Shinnizle said:
JamP0und32 said:
It's in the post as well:
We start with the players with the lowest "best match" and pair them with their best match, remove both of those from the pool, and then keep going until we’ve matched everyone.
Players will not be matched with someone they have previously played in any UHH contest.
Awww! I made some good friends that way!
BetaSigX20
BetaSigX20
Posted on 08 September 17 at 18:34
Inferno118 said:
The negative button just hides the game, doesn't remove it. You have to go into the "My Game Collection" from your menu in the top right, and click the Edit button for the game you want to remove.

Note that you can only remove games that you haven't actually started yet, so in effect this would be the same as setting your registration settings to "Started Only"; no need to actually remove them from your collection.

If you want to exclude games that you've already started from the competition, you have to set the ownership status to something other than "Owned" or "Games With Gold" (again, by using the "Edit" button on the My Game Collection page), but be aware that this year, if you exclude more than 10% of your total games collection, you'll only be able to participate in the group stage and the just-for-fun rounds.
angelsk
angelsk
Posted on 08 September 17 at 18:46
FAQs I wrote out for the previous UHH - or at least the relevant ones.... may be useful?

What counts as a started game for the competition?

This depends on the settings you chose during registration (check that here: UHH3 Registration).

Started Games Only: If you've unlocked an achievement in a game (including in a Title Update or DLC)
In Collection: Game has been added to My Game Collection with an ownership status of Owned or Games with Gold - either manually, or through unlocking an achievement as above.

How do I change the ownership status of a game?

NOTE: Only games set to Owned or Games with Gold will be included in the competition.

1. Go to My Game Collection.
2. Depending on which view you have set, do the following:

IMAGE VIEW:
Hover over the image for the game, it will change to "Edit". Click on this, and you will get a pop down with options. Change the "Ownership Status".

LIST VIEW:
Click on the "Edit" button at the end of the game row, and you will get the same pop down with options. Change the "Ownership Status".

Help! I can't see my game to change the status / I cannot add a game to my games collection

You have probably set the game to be hidden. Hidden games, don't show in some places on the site, but are still on your tag and are still valid for the competition (if the ownership status matches). To unhide a game from your collection go to the Game page and click on the button that says "Game" on the left hand side under the picture of the game. Then click on "Restore to My Games and Session Calendar". It should appear again.

If I start a new game, can achievements from it be chosen in the next UHH rounds?

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, yes. However, you can change the ownership status of your game if you don't want it to be picked (e.g: you played a demo/ EA Access game etc; or you just want to enjoy a new game)

I unlocked an achievement on my UHH list and it's showing up on TA but I didn't get the tick

Unfortunately, this means you unlocked the achievement offline (on the 360). These achievements show up without a timestamp and just show as "Unlocked". Achievements unlocked offline do not count towards the competition because there is no way to verify exactly when you earned them. You can check on your profile on xbox.com, and it will say if it was earned offline. TA can not do anything about this, and it will not count towards UHH.

Help! I unlocked an achievement offline, what can I do?

If the achievement has synced to xbox.com (and can be scanned by TA), because your Xbox reconnected to Xbox live, then sadly you are out of luck - and there's nothing anyone can do.

HOWEVER, if the achievement has not yet synced, then immediately disconnect your Xbox from the internet or turn off your router (or whatever internet device you have). Delete your profile from your Xbox. Reconnect your internet, and connect to Xbox Live. Re-download your profile. The achievement you unlocked offline will be gone; and you will have to re-earn it. Depending on the game you may have to re-meet the requirements, or it may pop when you load the game (or something else).

How do I check if I'm online on Xbox 360 / Xbox One with Backwards Compatiblity?

Being offline on the Xbox One doesn't matter, your achievements will sync with a timestamp when you go back online. But when you're using the Xbox 360 or on the One via Backward Compatibility, you may want to minimise the likelihood of being offline.

Tip 1: Check the 360 menu to check you are connected before getting to the point of unlocking the achievement. The Xbox button on the 360 controller, or cn_back and cn_start on the One controller.
Tip 2: If you have to download an update, once the game has reloaded check you are connected to live before continuing.
Tip 3: If you can, avoid using Backwards Compatibility on the One if you have issues with staying connected to Live through it.
Tip 4: Be in an Xbox Live Party of one. That way if you're disconnected, and it doesn't tell you, then you will get a notification about being unable to connect to the party instead.
Tip 5: Keep checking you're online, especially if you're close to unlocking the achievement.
Tip 6: See Help! I unlocked an achievement offline, what can I do? if you get unlucky.

How do I see how many valid achievements I have left for the competition?

One of the rules is that you must keep your valid locked achievement count above 2000 during the competition. You can check how many valid achievements you have here: UHH3 Registration

I set the ownership status of a game to something other than Owned or Games with Gold and it still got picked, why is this?

Once registration closed on the 14th September, your initial game collection was locked and the initial pool of achievements can only be reduced by unlocked achievements. If you didn't change the game status before then, then changing it now won't work.

For new games started after 14th September, you need to change the status BEFORE the end of the current period. Any game still valid once achievements are starting to be picked in the matchups, will become part of the achievement pool.

I was looking at someone else's profile and I saw green bars on some of the games/ achievements, what are they?

When you look at someone's else profile and their UHH list, it shows a green line under those games that you own, in case they're a friend and you can help them out with winning them :)

All the achievements on my UHH list are for one console, is there a setting somewhere to change this?

Nope, you've not missed a setting. Your achievements are picked from common games between you and your opponent. If either of you has a majority on one console, then it's more than likely you will have your list just from that console.

What is a pudding?

Someone who doesn't unlock any achievements in their list in a particular round of UHH - basically giving their competitor a free win.
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 08 September 17 at 19:00
Those are great!

Can't wait to beat some puddings.
rekikire
rekikire
Posted on 08 September 17 at 20:02
Eurydace said:
Those are great!

Can't wait to beat some puddings.
Yeah I'm going to be a pudding this time. Leave the country on the 23rd September and back on the 20th October. So terrible timing. I'll play in the first round, and then in the casual this year.
LuckyConquerer2
Posted on 08 September 17 at 22:17
Angel's FAQs need adding to the OP. Great job.
Mental Knight 5
Posted on 08 September 17 at 22:34
The calculation box at the bottom of the registration box is almost unreadable on any web browser. I'm using the Dark theme. It's white text in an off-white box, and I have to highlight the numbers to see them at all.
MattiasAnderson
Posted on 09 September 17 at 00:43
I have one question:

Pinball FX2 (Xbox 360) Achievements

This game! Would this game count towards the total? Is it counted as a base game?

It doesn't seem to be any base game. It just say core collection. I am a bit lost on this one and just wonder.
JamP0und32
JamP0und32
Posted on 09 September 17 at 00:47
MattiasAnderson said:
I have one question:

Pinball FX2 (Xbox 360) Achievements

This game! Would this game count towards the total? Is it counted as a base game?

It doesn't seem to be any base game. It just say core collection. I am a bit lost on this one and just wonder.
You could remove it from your collection and see if your eligible achievements go down. My guess would be as it's all dlc there's no valid achievements in there.
angelsk
angelsk
Posted on 09 September 17 at 08:04
The only question I don't know the answer for is what happens if you go over the 10% mark during the competition? Assuming as with achievements you'd need to add more games to get back under?
Christoph 5782
Posted on 09 September 17 at 23:55
angelsk said:
The only question I don't know the answer for is what happens if you go over the 10% mark during the competition? Assuming as with achievements you'd need to add more games to get back under?
From what I have read, there's nowhere in the algorithm that it ever checks that again
Let's Go!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.