Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 22 September 17 at 09:54
Rally good

Please click here to read the story: WRC 7 Review
U2NUMB
U2NUMB
Posted on 22 September 17 at 12:19
Good review... I am curious though what does this mean? It is under the negatives..

"Inability easily change your car in career may disappoint some players"
Legohead 1977
Legohead 1977
Posted on 22 September 17 at 12:58
I like the optional video review, I personally don't like them when compared to written reviews, but it gives the added benefit of seeing the game in action...which I really do like.

Not a game for me though.
Legohead 1977
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 22 September 17 at 13:25
U2NUMB said:
Good review... I am curious though what does this mean? It is under the negatives..

"Inability easily change your car in career may disappoint some players"
Most car games, what you drive is almost as important as how you drive. Here, there's like 7 cars total. It's somewhat true to real rallying (though that does have a bit more variety) and I didn't really care, but I suspect some people would.
Goggs25
Goggs25
Posted on 22 September 17 at 13:52
I was a big fan of wrc games until 6 came out from what I have heard its not easy like the previous 5 games and since scumbags at codemaster no longer realease demos for there wrc games I will not pay for a game that could be too hard for me
Goggs25
BanjoRebel
BanjoRebel
Posted on 22 September 17 at 14:46, Edited on 22 September 17 at 14:48 by BanjoRebel
Goggs25 said:
I was a big fan of wrc games until 6 came out from what I have heard its not easy like the previous 5 games and since scumbags at codemaster no longer realease demos for there wrc games I will not pay for a game that could be too hard for me
This isn't a Codemasters game. They make the DiRT series. And just because a game is too hard for you doesn't make them scumbags.

As for the review, I feel like it spent too much time plodding on about the fundamentals of rallying, but that could just be from a longtime fan of WRC (the real-life racing series, not the game series). I had played an older WRC game & hated it, and I believe there was a demo of 5 or 6 that felt "off" to me as well. This one sounds acceptable, however. Mostly like DiRT 4, but the much larger section of rally stages without the waste-of-space Landrush & Rallycross is definitely appealing to me. DiRT Rally is still the absolute king of rally games (with DiRT 4 being its slow dim-witted cousin) & I'll never be convinced a WRC game can match up to the king (or its cousin) but I might invest some time in a WRC game with this seventh chapter.
'Member? WickedDeath : "That used car salesman Larry herb will be saying what an amazing deal it is..."
halohogg
halohogg
Posted on 22 September 17 at 16:06
What a scathing review, only to eventually give it 4/5. It sounds like to me it should have been 2/5 at most. I'll stick to Dirt.
Goggs25
Goggs25
Posted on 22 September 17 at 17:41
BanjoRebel said:
gamer=Goggs25]I was a big fan of wrc games until 6 came out from what I have heard its not easy like the previous 5 games and since scumbags at codemaster no longer realease demos for there wrc games I will not pay for a game that could be too hard for me
This isn't a Codemasters game. They make the DiRT series. And just because a game is too hard for you doesn't make them scumbags.

As for the review, I feel like it spent too much time plodding on about the fundamentals of rallying, but that could just be from a longtime fan of WRC (the real-life racing series, not the game series). I had played an older WRC game & hated it, and I believe there was a demo of 5 or 6 that felt "off" to me as well. This one sounds acceptable, however. Mostly like DiRT 4, but the much larger section of rally stages without the waste-of-space Landrush & Rallycross is definitely appealing to me. DiRT Rally is still the absolute king of rally games (with DiRT 4 being its slow dim-witted cousin) & I'll never be convinced a WRC game can match up to the king (or its cousin) but I might invest some time in a WRC game with this seventh chapter.[/quote

My bad I seen dirt rally been mentioned and I automatically thought wrc was done by codemasters as for it being too hard I don't know if it is because the scumbags no longer do demos for wrc and I don't see why I should pay for a over priced game I might not like.
Goggs25
Quickdontdie
Quickdontdie
Posted on 22 September 17 at 17:44
Goggs25 said:
BanjoRebel said:
gamer=Goggs25]I was a big fan of wrc games until 6 came out from what I have heard its not easy like the previous 5 games and since scumbags at codemaster no longer realease demos for there wrc games I will not pay for a game that could be too hard for me

As for the review, I feel like it spent too much time plodding on about the fundamentals of rallying, but that could just be from a longtime fan of WRC (the real-life racing series, not the game series). I had played an older WRC game & hated it, and I believe there was a demo of 5 or 6 that felt "off" to me as well. This one sounds acceptable, however. Mostly like DiRT 4, but the much larger section of rally stages without the waste-of-space Landrush & Rallycross is definitely appealing to me. DiRT Rally is still the absolute king of rally games (with DiRT 4 being its slow dim-witted cousin) & I'll never be convinced a WRC game can match up to the king (or its cousin) but I might invest some time in a WRC game with this seventh chapter.[/quote

My bad I seen dirt rally been mentioned and I automatically thought wrc was done by codemasters as for it being too hard I don't know if it is because the scumbags no longer do demos for wrc and I don't see why I should pay for a over priced game I might not like.
Did you just like switch personalities and begin arguing against yourself? shock
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 22 September 17 at 17:49
He just destroyed the quotes. The original quote is his. Then the first two paragraphs of the reply are BanjoRebel's. And finally the last paragraph is his again.
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 22 September 17 at 19:12
halohogg said:
What a scathing review, only to eventually give it 4/5. It sounds like to me it should have been 2/5 at most. I'll stick to Dirt.
I kinda thought it was close to 4.5. What did you feel was overly negative?
BanjoRebel
BanjoRebel
Posted on 22 September 17 at 20:45
I read elsewhere that the co-driver doesn't give appropriate pace notes, and in often cases the pace notes are just wrong. That turned my willingness to give this game a chance a hard pass.
'Member? WickedDeath : "That used car salesman Larry herb will be saying what an amazing deal it is..."
iTz Canada Ehh
Posted on 23 September 17 at 01:12, Edited on 23 September 17 at 01:13 by iTz Canada Ehh
Goggs25 said:
BanjoRebel said:

"Old man yells at cloud"
halohogg
halohogg
Posted on 26 September 17 at 13:43
Eurydace said:
halohogg said:
I kinda thought it was close to 4.5. What did you feel was overly negative?
If it truly is a 4.5/5 I wanna know.
The review trashed the senselessness of the Team Management aspect, highlighted little incentive to even do well in races or progress your career, no collection of cars (simply what you're given), grinding standard achievements, and zero comment on multi-player.
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 26 September 17 at 15:42, Edited on 26 September 17 at 15:43 by Eurydace
To be clear, the game is a 4, not a 4.5. I just meant that if the score was wrong, I would say it is too low. But it's not wrong for me at least. That doesn't mean it's the right score for you!

I wasn't able to play multiplayer. The game isn't out in the US (and just released in parts of Europe today). Looking at it, and based on the previous games, I doubt it would affect my score.

The management and the career are bad. That's why it got a 4 over a 4.5. If you want to feel like there's a story or purpose to your racing, this is not the game for you. But I'm not going to trash a game for failing to be something it was never made to be and that it shouldn't need to be (in my opinion of course).

The game received a 4.0 because it is an excellent rally game. It is fun to play and drive. The tracks are interesting. They're exciting. In the world of racing, that's what's important to me.

There's nothing wrong with you thinking this sounds like a 2.5, that's fair. I'm glad you read the review instead of just focusing on the score alone. That's why that text is there - so that you can weigh the pro's and con's yourself and determine what's important to you. smile
halohogg
halohogg
Posted on 26 September 17 at 18:03
Eurydace said:

The management and the career are bad. That's why it got a 4 over a 4.5. If you want to feel like there's a story or purpose to your racing, this is not the game for you. But I'm not going to trash a game for failing to be something it was never made to be and that it shouldn't need to be (in my opinion of course).

The game received a 4.0 because it is an excellent rally game.
Red Dead was a 4.5
GTA 5 was a 4.5
Forza Horizon 1,2, & 3 were 4.5
Portal 2 was a 4.5
(Maybe I have yet to rate a 5 - perhaps Rock Band 3 was a 5)

If you're saying WRC 7 is close to those at 4, it better be complete, innovative, engaging, and have minor issues at most.

If it wasn't supposed to have a story/career mode then perhaps it doesn't need to be mentioned in the review. If the multiplayer wasn't available for the time of the demo, it should be noted in the review rather than in the foot note, since today's day-and-age of AAA titled invariably MUST be online playable.

Before I invest $80 on a new title, reviews need to be convincing. It still sounds like a 3 to me.

Regardless, thanks for the effort on the review. It's always subjective and skewed by personal preference. I'll wait to hear additional thoughts once it has been released on the street.
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 26 September 17 at 18:13
I'd have given Forza Horizon 1 a 4.5 and 2 & 3 like would have been 5's. the other games aren't the same genre and are irrelevant.

This is the site's definition of a 4:

4 Stars - A very good game. If you are a fan of this type of game, you should definitely look into playing it. While it is an excellent game, there are certain aspects that might keep all audiences from enjoying the experience.
I believe this is accurate. If you're a huge racing fan, you will like this. The gameplay is top notch. The issues I pointed out are what hold it back. If you only generally like racing, those negative aspects might keep you from enjoying the overall game. Nothing wrong with that!
x Mataeus x
x Mataeus x
Posted on 27 September 17 at 06:58
Great review!

To the guy above: Reviews aren't skewed by personal preference. They are personal preference.

Nice to see Kyloton (sp?) are finally getting somewhere. 5 was an atrocious game.
BanjoRebel
BanjoRebel
Posted on 27 September 17 at 10:10
Eurydace said:
I'd have given Forza Horizon 1 a 4.5 and 2 & 3 like would have been 5's. the other games aren't the same genre and are irrelevant.

This is the site's definition of a 4:

4 Stars - A very good game. If you are a fan of this type of game, you should definitely look into playing it. While it is an excellent game, there are certain aspects that might keep all audiences from enjoying the experience.
I believe this is accurate. If you're a huge racing fan, you will like this. The gameplay is top notch. The issues I pointed out are what hold it back. If you only generally like racing, those negative aspects might keep you from enjoying the overall game. Nothing wrong with that!
Care to comment on the supposed inaccuracy of pace notes?

For those of us who play without visual directions this is a HUGE make-or-break, and one that is not addressed in the review...
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 27 September 17 at 13:38
Honestly I just use the visual pace notes in rally games so I can't comment. They did seem a bit weird (sporadic and unnatural), but since I don't use them I didn't want to say affirmatively that it's a problem.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.