AuthorMessage
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 29 September 17 at 07:00
Old school cool

Please click here to read the story: Cuphead Review
TopherXPwns
TopherXPwns
Posted on 29 September 17 at 07:09
A bit nervous to pick it up when I know I'm likely to play solo. Did try it at PAX East and loved the gameplay but without a decent partner it felt near impossible to move forward.
Topher twitter.com/topherxpwns topherrocks.tumblr.com
The SCHWARTZ 00
Posted on 29 September 17 at 07:16
This is exactly why it needs online co-op in the worst way. Many of us don't have a girlfriend, or a friend at all, readily available to come over and play. Not to mention, how many casual gamers would even stick around to help you beat Expert mode anyway?? I'll try to solo it but once I reach that point of frustration, I think I'll put it down and just wait for them to implement online co-op.
NoHeroes94
NoHeroes94
Posted on 29 September 17 at 07:31, Edited on 29 September 17 at 07:32 by NoHeroes94
Guys, I love TA but the review inaccurately portrays co-op.

From numerous friends and peers who have had this early, it's consistent feedback that the difficulty scales UP with co-op so that you possess no strategic advantage compared to a single player (genius game design, btw). If they found co-op easier, it was probably psychological. If it is GENUINELY easier, there isn't much difference at all.

Gamespots review (which in this instance seems very good despite some of their otherwork) actually says the opposite; co-op is even harder.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/cuphead-review/1900-6416777...
Jakez123
Jakez123
Posted on 29 September 17 at 07:33
Solo is fine difficulty wise.
KBop a doo
KBop a doo
Posted on 29 September 17 at 07:53
NoHeroes94 said:
From numerous friends and peers who have had this early, it's consistent feedback that the difficulty scales UP with co-op so that you possess no strategic advantage compared to a single player (genius game design, btw). If they found co-op easier, it was probably psychological. If it is GENUINELY easier, there isn't much difference at all.
Most games that have scaling difficulty in co-op are still much easier in co-op, so this would not be surprising at all if it were easier even if it's technically supposed to be the same. Especially if you can revive the other player (which is the case here) -- usually that feature alone can far outweigh more difficult enemies or scenarios.

Thanks for the review! I'm interested in this one, just wayyyy down the line with the current backlog.
New Paralyzer
New Paralyzer
Posted on 29 September 17 at 07:57
I for one am glad it was delayed for so long due to the game was originally a boss rush (Like Alien Soldier on Genesis/Mega Drive) and I just didn't want that.

Seeing the game evolve to what it is now is just.... That's exactly what I wanted to see this go through development wise. I'm just so hyped for this game!

Run N Gun games are just like my top favorite types of games.

This is a game I don't expect to 1K but I'm gonna try my best!

Lack of Online co-op is a shame. I got a buddy coming over to play with me as I feel this game needs to be experienced co-op.
SilentJay76
SilentJay76
Posted on 29 September 17 at 07:57, Edited on 29 September 17 at 07:57 by SilentJay76
"Likely too frustrating for some"
I'm usually one of those "some," unfortunately. Which is a shame, since the game looks great. I really hope they'll add a Beginner difficulty or something (like Giana Sisters did.) Otherwise it seems like a wasted opportunity for the developer, because word will spread and turn many players off from buying it. Such a unique game deserves to be played (and enjoyed) by everyone, not just the hardcore gamers.
NawtyCawty
NawtyCawty
Posted on 29 September 17 at 07:59
As I am terrible at most games I think I will have to give this game a miss sadly.
Gleaming Cube
Gleaming Cube
Posted on 29 September 17 at 08:17
Difficult or not, I'm getting this based on the fact it's an amazing piece of work. I just LOVE the style of this, it's something totally different and it made me want to get it on day 1, way back when I saw it years ago. I'll just marvel in the beauty of it all whilst simultaneously getting pissed off with it! wink
Never touch that switch, even if you want to.
MC PHILABUSTA
MC PHILABUSTA
Posted on 29 September 17 at 08:19
Can't wait to play today..I could have sworn not to long ago they said coop would be online that's a real disappointment since it seems mandatory to play in coop.
BreakingPad68
BreakingPad68
Posted on 29 September 17 at 08:27
Cuphead is showing 399,99€ to me. Is it soooo good?
MugenKairo
MugenKairo
Posted on 29 September 17 at 09:01
I think the majority of games have a difficulty set at normal, the instant a game has a harder than average difficulty setting, gamers throw their hands up staring it's near impossible. That. Ring said, the developers are taking a massive risk by ramping up the difficulty,putting many gamers off.

Near impossible just means it will take longer.
'Life begins beyond the edge of your comfort zone'
NoHeroes94
NoHeroes94
Posted on 29 September 17 at 09:51
KBop a doo said:
NoHeroes94 said:
Most games that have scaling difficulty in co-op are still much easier in co-op, so this would not be surprising at all if it were easier even if it's technically supposed to be the same. Especially if you can revive the other player (which is the case here) -- usually that feature alone can far outweigh more difficult enemies or scenarios.

Thanks for the review! I'm interested in this one, just wayyyy down the line with the current backlog.
Other reviewers have stated that co-op is no easier, as per my link
Daelus1
Daelus1
Posted on 29 September 17 at 10:24
NoHeroes94 said:
KBop a doo said:
NoHeroes94 said:

lol.....welcome to TA.....if you dare question 1 of their reviews the whole "staff" circles the wagon to tell you why it's everyone else that is wrong....it's part of the entertainment :)
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 29 September 17 at 10:28
NoHeroes94 said:
Guys, I love TA but the review inaccurately portrays co-op.

Gamespots review (which in this instance seems very good despite some of their otherwork) actually says the opposite; co-op is even harder.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/cuphead-review/1900-6416777...
I could believe it scales up. I was actually just talking to Eurydace about this. I said it very well may be psychological but that effect is still there nonetheless. And yeah, reviving players pretty much means your last HP can be used again and again if you are fast enough to get to your downed partner.
NoHeroes94
NoHeroes94
Posted on 29 September 17 at 10:53
Daelus1 said:
NoHeroes94 said:
KBop a doo said:
NoHeroes94 said:

lol.....welcome to TA.....if you dare question 1 of their reviews the whole "staff" circles the wagon to tell you why it's everyone else that is wrong....it's part of the entertainment :)
It's a solid review! I'm just pointing out that I don't think the co-op section is accurate from other critical sources that I've seen and gameplay I've seen. Also, reviving is pretty hard in Cuphead as it requires a well timed parry, it's not just a button press.
Beanpotter
Beanpotter
Posted on 29 September 17 at 11:36
To be fair, we'd expect the reader to have a bit of common sense and realise this just the reviewer's opinion. Of course others will have opposing views, this is just how Mark found it to be, doesn't make it fact.
Mame Tobikomi!
billbillbill
billbillbill
Posted on 29 September 17 at 11:41
"Simply delivering a game that looks pretty is no feat anymore, though."

Ouch. A bit of a kick in the teeth for visual artists and level designers there. : /
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 29 September 17 at 12:19
KBop a doo said:
NoHeroes94 said:

I'm excited to get after this too. I wish it it had online co-op just to see if it is harder. The game would have to be considerably harder in co-op to overcome the fact you can be revived but I've read once you get two players the screen is too busy. Maybe the second player TA used was an absolute beast and other sites picked a noob
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.