Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Battle Chasers: Nightwar Review

AuthorMessage
Eurydace
431,276
Eurydace
Posted on 04 October 17 at 21:22
A new dawn for JRPGs

Please click here to read the story: Battle Chasers: Nightwar Review
New Paralyzer
783,745
New Paralyzer
Posted on 04 October 17 at 22:32
I love how the + is encouraging you to return to dungeons for replayability and a - is forcing you to return to dungeons to grind for EXP.


I'm sure I know what they mean by this but in writing it doesn't look good.
Karachi King
787,606
Karachi King
Posted on 04 October 17 at 22:59, Edited on 04 October 17 at 23:00 by Karachi King
I'm only about 5 or 6 hours in, but I haven't had any issues with leveling yet (I know, still early). I even tackled the second dungeon at heroic difficulty and managed okay.

I have died twice, but that was from accidentally triggering higher level bosses while I was exploring. And you only lose a bit of gold, so no worries.
BigWiIIieStyIe
Posted on 05 October 17 at 00:38
I was hoping for good things, thanks for the review. Sitting in the download queue now smile
Eurydace
431,276
Eurydace
Posted on 05 October 17 at 01:01
New Paralyzer said:
I love how the + is encouraging you to return to dungeons for replayability and a - is forcing you to return to dungeons to grind for EXP.


I'm sure I know what they mean by this but in writing it doesn't look good.
Those two do not say the same thing. If you read the review, you’ll see it explains everything fully so that you can understand.
Swinny Costello
Posted on 05 October 17 at 01:01
For anybody that doesn't know, the Battle Chasers comic is drawn by Joe Madureira, who was the character designer for Darksiders.
aUMi Polaris
108,601
aUMi Polaris
Posted on 05 October 17 at 01:48
Been looking forward for this game since the Kickstarter launch. The art style is fantastic. Glad to hear the game’s reviewing well. Finally a good jrpg on Xbox One!
LV 1 Blue Slime
Posted on 05 October 17 at 01:50
This review doesn't answer the real questions...does this game use a phoenix down on JRPGs or are they still in KO status?
"Slutty outfit? You're one to talk." "This isn't slutty, it's strategically placed."
Eurydace
431,276
Eurydace
Posted on 05 October 17 at 02:15
LV 1 Blue Slime said:
This review doesn't answer the real questions...does this game use a phoenix down on JRPGs or are they still in KO status?
I’m a way it’s more of a modern, Western take on them. I wouldn’t say this is a new FF7. But I would say it’s more than a proof of concept that the genre can still work.
MC PHILABUSTA
514,243
MC PHILABUSTA
Posted on 05 October 17 at 03:56
I loved the comic book ..can't wait for my physical copy to come tomorrow :) got it with prime for 22 bucks .
Outsider Fenix
Posted on 05 October 17 at 05:46
Eurydace said:
New Paralyzer said:
I love how the + is encouraging you to return to dungeons for replayability and a - is forcing you to return to dungeons to grind for EXP.


I'm sure I know what they mean by this but in writing it doesn't look good.
Those two do not say the same thing. If you read the review, you’ll see it explains everything fully so that you can understand.
To a casual reader that wants to see a score and pros and cons it’s not good writing. It’s completely contradictory.
AbyssArtorias85
Posted on 05 October 17 at 09:53
+5 -3 final rating 4.5/5...seriously what the fuck is wrong with the reviews these days
Eurydace
431,276
Eurydace
Posted on 05 October 17 at 10:15
AbyssArtorias85 said:
+5 -3 final rating 4.5/5...seriously what the fuck is wrong with the reviews these days
Not all pro’s and con’s are made equal. I’d point out the body of the review to you which will actually support the score.
Eurydace
431,276
Eurydace
Posted on 05 October 17 at 10:18
Outsider Fenix said:
Eurydace said:
New Paralyzer said:
I love how the + is encouraging you to return to dungeons for replayability and a - is forcing you to return to dungeons to grind for EXP.


I'm sure I know what they mean by this but in writing it doesn't look good.
Those two do not say the same thing. If you read the review, you’ll see it explains everything fully so that you can understand.
To a casual reader that wants to see a score and pros and cons it’s not good writing. It’s completely contradictory.
The review is more than the pro’s and con’s. What you’re asking me to do is to leave out con’s entirely just so that it feels more balanced. I’m not going to do that.

My statements are not contradictory. I like that it encourages replay mainly through NG+. I dislike that sometimes you have to go back to a dungeon immediately upon beating it.
obtuse language
Posted on 05 October 17 at 12:31
Swinny Costello said:
For anybody that doesn't know, the Battle Chasers cotmic is drawn by Joe Madureira, who was the character designer for Darksiders.
Yeah, it looks like he's also going to start doing the Battle Chasers comic again? Interesting.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 05 October 17 at 19:10
Eurydace said:
AbyssArtorias85 said:
+5 -3 final rating 4.5/5...seriously what the fuck is wrong with the reviews these days
Not all pro’s and con’s are made equal. I’d point out the body of the review to you which will actually support the score.
"There's a review up there?" - some readers
acedawg4
1,046,377
acedawg4
Posted on 05 October 17 at 19:20
One of my favorite comic book series, wish they never stopped coming out with new books!
New Paralyzer
783,745
New Paralyzer
Posted on 06 October 17 at 04:56
Eurydace said:
Outsider Fenix said:
Eurydace said:
New Paralyzer said:
I love how the + is encouraging you to return to dungeons for replayability and a - is forcing you to return to dungeons to grind for EXP.


I'm sure I know what they mean by this but in writing it doesn't look good.
Those two do not say the same thing. If you read the review, you’ll see it explains everything fully so that you can understand.
To a casual reader that wants to see a score and pros and cons it’s not good writing. It’s completely contradictory.
The review is more than the pro’s and con’s. What you’re asking me to do is to leave out con’s entirely just so that it feels more balanced. I’m not going to do that.

My statements are not contradictory. I like that it encourages replay mainly through NG+. I dislike that sometimes you have to go back to a dungeon immediately upon beating it.
I'm not saying you were wrong to say "grinding in same dungeons is a negative and replaying some dungeons to explore is positive" because that does make sense big picture.

I'm saying the wording will cause issues like Outsider Fenix just said for me.

Reading the review then reading the pro's and con's a person would understand. I got the angle you were trying to say but at quick glance the wording itself is far too similar.

Some people just want to see what's positive and what's negative. People have been doing that with game informer and Nintendo Power's for years and base a game just off that.
TheMaize
800,728
TheMaize
Posted on 06 October 17 at 05:52
New Paralyzer said:
Eurydace said:
Outsider Fenix said:
Eurydace said:
New Paralyzer said:
I love how the + is encouraging you to return to dungeons for replayability and a - is forcing you to return to dungeons to grind for EXP.


I'm sure I know what they mean by this but in writing it doesn't look good.
Those two do not say the same thing. If you read the review, you’ll see it explains everything fully so that you can understand.
To a casual reader that wants to see a score and pros and cons it’s not good writing. It’s completely contradictory.
The review is more than the pro’s and con’s. What you’re asking me to do is to leave out con’s entirely just so that it feels more balanced. I’m not going to do that.

My statements are not contradictory. I like that it encourages replay mainly through NG+. I dislike that sometimes you have to go back to a dungeon immediately upon beating it.
I'm not saying you were wrong to say "grinding in same dungeons is a negative and replaying some dungeons to explore is positive" because that does make sense big picture.

I'm saying the wording will cause issues like Outsider Fenix just said for me.

Reading the review then reading the pro's and con's a person would understand. I got the angle you were trying to say but at quick glance the wording itself is far too similar.

Some people just want to see what's positive and what's negative. People have been doing that with game informer and Nintendo Power's for years and base a game just off that.
I had no issues understanding the points, even without reading the review first.

You cant blame the reviewer for your own level of comprehension.

And if you dont understand the points, i suggest you read the actual, wellwritten review, where everything will be pointed out for you.

Do you guys also forward a movie directly to the ending, and then complain you dont understand it?
New Paralyzer
783,745
New Paralyzer
Posted on 06 October 17 at 06:05
TheMaize said:
Do you guys also forward a movie directly to the ending, and then complain you dont understand it?
That's a valid point but I'm thinking in the eyes of someone who wants straight verdict. Which in a magazine your review has the nice long review but shift your eyes to the corner and you can just pull out a quick 10 second verdict.


There isn't anything wrong with the review. I'm talking only about the pros and cons box because you better believe a few TA'ers will jam straight for that box. That's just how some people take their reviews. What score did it get and what positives got it there.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.