Game Discussion: Middle-earth: Shadow of War

Windows store pre order error

• xtantssxtantss1,268,781
    Posted on 07 October 17 at 18:29
    Anyone else having the same issue? I tried downloading to a secondary drive and to my primary drive and having the same issue as I had with forza 7. It gets to 99% then I get the dreaded error message. I was able to fix it with forza 7 by deleting and redownloading to my primary drive but doing the same method for this game does not work.
  • Ghosts2045Ghosts204524,007
    Posted on 08 October 17 at 01:27
    Ya same here. I get to 99% then error 0x80070005. Someone help.
    Posted on 08 October 17 at 06:18
    xtantss said:
    Anyone else having the same issue? I tried downloading to a secondary drive and to my primary drive and having the same issue as I had with forza 7. It gets to 99% then I get the dreaded error message. I was able to fix it with forza 7 by deleting and redownloading to my primary drive but doing the same method for this game does not work.
    Have you figured anything out?
  • Posted on 08 October 17 at 09:54, Edited on 08 October 17 at 14:55 by Wobbler79
    So I downloaded it 4 times and after completing the download (WStore) it fails while trying to install , also tryed to install by downloading the EApxxBundle and it still fails to install, in powershell it complains about missing splashscreen.png. Somebody has some fixing to do.... Xbox one S did manage to download the game without the 4k files? Atleast the size is half of the pc version.
    Posted on 08 October 17 at 18:37
    Wow thank you for that info. So it’s looks like there just needs to be an update to complete the install. Hopefully it will be updated before the game is released
    Posted on 08 October 17 at 20:24
    Guess so. CANT WAIT TO PLAY
  • TransAm734TransAm73480,535
    Posted on 08 October 17 at 21:11
    Yep same here seems to download all 60+ gb but then give that error on install. Tried different drives, reset the app and what not. Fingers crossed it works by launch day.

Got Forza the other day with no issues but I also bought it a couple days after release so that's a bit different.
    Posted on 08 October 17 at 22:16
    I just got an email from WBGames saying this is happening to a lot of people and we should be able to reinstall it on the 9th so tomorrow for me. It depends when it reaches your region.
    Posted on 09 October 17 at 00:09
    Yes apparently it’s an issue that the devs are aware of and we should have a fix on the day game is released. Since I’m on a data cap now I wonder if it will update on its own or will I have to delete and reinstall? Guess I’ll find out when the game is released in my region.
  • AlexBTAlexBT249,693
    Posted on 09 October 17 at 12:39
    I´m suffering the same problem.I hope it gets fixed!
    Posted on 09 October 17 at 12:42
    I know i can fownload on the 9th but at what time? Also delete and reinstall what?
  • Posted on 09 October 17 at 15:29, Edited on 09 October 17 at 21:50 by Wobbler79
    Hmm it's seems there is an additional 1,54 GB download now available. But still fails the installation progress. I have not tried to download the whole game yet again, the files where still on the HD last time I checked, now the folder access permission seems to have changed to the norm.

Well now it's past midnight here and I did download whole thing again and it did manage to install, but might have worked without it.
  • Rex21cRex21c30,655
    Posted on 09 October 17 at 21:52, Edited on 09 October 17 at 21:55 by Rex21c
    It's 2pm on the 9th and the download is still erroring out. Here is what I have found out and have done so far.

The error number that is given is an access error. I was unable to get into the folder where the game is being saved, in my case d:\windowsapps. it was telling me that I needed administrator access even though my user is in the administrator group, When I tried to change permissions for my user to get full access to the folder, windows said the access control entry is bad and informed me that I needed to create a new one. I spent a few hours trying to find how without any real success.

I went back to the security properties and was able to take ownership of the file however, that did not allow me to change my user access. So for giggles i renamed the file to d:\windowsapps1, went back to the store and kicked off the download again. It created a new d:\windowsapps folder which I had no issues getting in to. I went to the security settings and gave my self full permission to the folder in case it wants to bugger up the access control again. Be warned if you do this I'm pretty sure anything you previously downloaded will need to be downloaded again. unless you can manually move everything over.

So far the download is going fine, time will tell.

I just went to the renamed windowsapp1 folder and was able to give my self administrator control after I did the above, hopefully everything should be good and I can move over my previous files to the newly created windowsapps folder. I won't be trying that till after shadow of war finishes.

Hope this works and helps somebody
  • Faustus PHDFaustus PHD1,352,791
    Posted on 10 October 17 at 03:03
    I'm going to try it. MS had me reinstall Windows twice. And then had the nerve to suggest I purchase a premium technical support package to help me solve the problem!
  • AlexBTAlexBT249,693
    Posted on 10 October 17 at 08:23
    Last night I tried again and it worked fine...
  • GrowndhogGrowndhog106,111
    Posted on 10 October 17 at 11:57
    I was having the same problem, I just restarted my pc and it finished installing it with no problems.
  • Gypsy816Gypsy81627,380
    Posted on 10 October 17 at 14:23
    Hi everyone! Please take a look at the below from WB Games:

“We are aware that a small number of players are experiencing issues pre-downloading Middle-earth: Shadow of War on Windows 10 PCs. This arises from pauses in the pre-download which can occur with intermittent internet connections. If you’ve been impacted by this, your download will complete when Middle-earth: Shadow of War releases and unlocks in your territory, beginning October 9. At that time, please reinstall the game.”
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.