Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

OpenCritic Says They Are Going to Take a Stand Against Loot Boxes

AuthorMessage
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 10 October 17 at 17:47
The aggregator is investigating ways to keep track of all in-game paid content

Please click here to read the story: OpenCritic Says They Are Going to Take a Stand Against Loot Boxes
gmurda33
gmurda33
Posted on 10 October 17 at 17:49
if you dont like the loot boxes dont purchase them.
Dwaggienite
Dwaggienite
Posted on 10 October 17 at 17:54
I have no problem with loot boxes in overwatch because they are simply for *cosmetic* purposes. They don't affect the skill level of the game.

However, when you can buy loot boxes to give you more powerful weapons, etc, that can be used in multiplayer? F*** off. The games that do this should be called out, and ridiculed.

Any game that includes loot boxes for any other reason that cosmetics is an INSTANT no-buy for me. NO exceptions.
DamnSilly
DamnSilly
Posted on 10 October 17 at 17:55
"Taking a stand against" might be less neutral than I'd want a review aggregator to be (even if I'm generally on their side on the issue), but I'm all for consumers being more informed when it comes to their purchasing decisions.
NawtyCawty
NawtyCawty
Posted on 10 October 17 at 17:59
Who? Never heard of them.
TheSuperstino
TheSuperstino
Posted on 10 October 17 at 18:06
gmurda33 said:
That's fair enough, except if the inclusion of loot boxes affects the gameplay. It is within the developer's and publisher's power to off-balance a game so players are more likely or even forced to buy loot boxes to progress.
~Stino
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 10 October 17 at 18:08
If buying loot boxes gives you a skin that turns your gun gold who cares, don’t like it don’t buy it. If there is a powerful gun that can be unlocked by reaching level 50 or paying $10 and you can get it at level 1 and use it for PVP you should be called out for a garbage money grabbing company. I’ve read Battlefront 2 is pay 2 win. Hope that’s not true.
NightHawk673
NightHawk673
Posted on 10 October 17 at 18:17
Eh, I personally want them to keep doing micro-transactions. I don't mind buying cosmetics for skins for certain games to keep if fresh or what not(gears is an example for me).

Now loot boxes that can get you gear/weapons for MP, single player or whatever, I'm down for that too. Nobody is forcing you to buy it and the odds of you be paired against someone with those weapons is low. It's not like they really change the outcome of the game, so it's silly to assume publishers should be punished for them. If you want to punish someone, punish the gamers who want to buy them to support the games they love.
L7SH
Posted on 10 October 17 at 18:28
you cant get all thing and enjoy games without buying them that's why they need to stop
Homunculus Fury
Posted on 10 October 17 at 18:28
Dwaggienite said:
I have no problem with loot boxes in overwatch because they are simply for *cosmetic* purposes. They don't affect the skill level of the game.

However, when you can buy loot boxes to give you more powerful weapons, etc, that can be used in multiplayer? F*** off. The games that do this should be called out, and ridiculed.

Any game that includes loot boxes for any other reason that cosmetics is an INSTANT no-buy for me. NO exceptions.
Pretty much exactly how i feel.
The SCHWARTZ 00
Posted on 10 October 17 at 18:31
gmurda33 said:
It's not that simple. Some devs could artificially increase the grind for in game credits astronomically in order to persuade you to part with your money to get what you want right away. Fucking up the balance of progression due to loot crates inclusion is a major concern. If the loot boxes don't have that impact, then whatever, but the danger is always there.
LuckyConquerer2
Posted on 10 October 17 at 18:33, Edited on 10 October 17 at 18:34 by LuckyConquerer2
Can we stop saying Shadow of War is a single player game only? It even has achievements for an online conquest mode where you attack and defend against other player's forts. It takes multiple people to play that part of the game, just not at the same time. The case even says 'Xbox Live Multiplayer' on the back.
Goggs25
Goggs25
Posted on 10 October 17 at 18:36
cosmetics is fine in free to play but NO microtransactions in single player or co-op games also no pay to win or pay to progress and NO. microtransactions in any game that you buy like triple AAA titles.

If I had my way they would be banned any dev that uses them can go under for all I care don't support greedy bastards like EA and WB to name a few
Goggs25
ClownTastic
ClownTastic
Posted on 10 October 17 at 19:05
Loot boxes should be for cosmetic purposes only as it's a good way for consumers to support developers/publishers that deliver games people enjoy but a pay to win model in a retail game that people are paying $60+ for and then they are made to feel like they have to spend even more money or lose that competitive advantage is just bullshit.

Loot boxes are literally gambling and a few countries have introduced or are starting to introduce laws banning the inclusion of them within video games.
MugenKairo
MugenKairo
Posted on 10 October 17 at 19:18, Edited on 10 October 17 at 19:20 by MugenKairo
Don't play games with loot boxes or don't buy them. If it's not supported, it won't be implemented in future. Luckily for me, these mostly happen in PvP modes or MP games which rarely affects me.
'Life begins beyond the edge of your comfort zone'
CodeMonkeysGuy
Posted on 10 October 17 at 19:19
I still dislike cosmetic loot boxes. Because it's firstly still just another form of Microtransactions, and secondly is still a degree of psychological vice through feel-good reward schemes.

It's not about having unlockables in your games anymore, you want LOOT BOXES/CRATES/WHATEVER PACKS! You can pay MONEY for these! To get SOMETHING! HOW EXCITING!! You can't just make progress towards that one thing you want. No no, you have to open a box, which might contain it or hundreds of other things! Or perhaps even duplicates of things you already have! How INVIGORATING! Just like these virtual currencies with contrived fancy names to match out contrivedly fancily namedly box things!

But it's not even just that. It's the mindset it creates. The idea is instilled that Microtransactions are good and maybe you'll buy some of these good Microtransactions for this good game and it helped with your progress or sense of individuality in the game and you supported the developers and it wasn't that expensive and you feel pretty good about how you spent my money and isn't that lovely? Maybe you'll do more of that in the future. Especially when it feels less dirty when it's something you want and if you want it and others want it and a lot of games have it it's not that bad and really not that expensive and I mean so what if this one's a little more pricey it's still not much and that one isn't textured quite right but that's fine and sure maybe I wish you could only get cosmetics or couldn't get duplicates but I get enough other stuff and I have to get the value pack because what if I want more later since I do want some now and there's that other game too and I mean my friends are playing so I mean why not I spend enough on this other thing in my life so why not more on this?

It's more than just the execution, in my opinion. It's the mindsets that drive their inevitable success. It's a slippery slope for players and a slippery slope for developers making them, when they become reliant on a subtle form of psychological warfare to drive notably high post-launch money.
I work on achievements. Life sanity tip: don't work on achievements.
xNSHD
xNSHD
Posted on 10 October 17 at 19:20, Edited on 11 October 17 at 13:32 by dropK1CK ninJA
for the people saying if you dont like them dont buy them. you your the problem.

Mod Edit: Excessive profanities.
Psparky27
Psparky27
Posted on 10 October 17 at 19:22, Edited on 10 October 17 at 19:24 by Psparky27
I have never paid for a loot box and never will. I enjoy the opening of them (earned by playing rather than buying) and long may that continue .

Even in Games Like COD or Battlefront 2 where they open more than cosmetics it hasn't unbalanced the game at all. A competent player from positioning and accuracy with a starting pistol will take out someone, no matter how OP their set up is. Especially when you shoot them in the back :)
Too many Irons in the fire !
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Posted on 10 October 17 at 19:25
cosmetic lootbox, who cares. Only when there is loot that allows one player to be more powerful than another in a MP game, does this matter. But seriously, loot boxes for a SP game, insane... but it really doesn't matter to me, so who cares if someone buys them.
Dakrkplayer2
Dakrkplayer2
Posted on 10 October 17 at 19:26
If I was developing video games now. I would make free ways get loot boxes. Like milestones( like leveling up the next level.). Bounty and Speical event. With option paid to get them. So my games with loot boxes would have 4 ways get them. And three are free way to get them.
.XBOX 4 LIFE. https://www.change.org/petitions/to-tell-microsoft-to-make-self-published-live-able-games-on-windows-phone-and-windows-8-and-tell-deve
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.

Account Settings

In order for TrueAchievements to track your games and achievements correctly, it is required that we have access to your achievements. If your achievements are not being scanned in, it is likely that your privacy settings are not allowing this. To correct this, please follow these instructions:

1. Log into http://www.xbox.com/

2. Click on My Account in the top toolbar.
My Account location.

3. Scroll down to Safety and select Manage my privacy and online safety.
Privacy and online safety location.

4. Scroll down to 'Others can'. You need to make sure that 'Everybody' can see your game and app history
Game and app history location.

These steps will allow TrueAchievements to update all of your achievements across all Xbox platforms.