Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Eight Horror Movies That Would Make Good Video Games

AuthorMessage
ClemsonGrad2012
Posted on 13 October 17 at 06:02
Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Jeepers Creepers, Sleepy Hollow (Telltale Game)
ClemsonGrad2012
iMaginaryy
iMaginaryy
Posted on 13 October 17 at 07:34
This is indeed a very cool article.

Some of these I haven't seen and I'll have to check out, and the ideas to match games are mostly all very interesting.

Heh, & I support the above Texas Chainsaw Massacre either in the asynchronous area or perhaps more survival horror in the vein of resident evil.

The Cabin in the Woods idea is good too!
Fear is the mindkiller.
TheMaize
TheMaize
Posted on 13 October 17 at 07:41, Edited on 13 October 17 at 07:44 by TheMaize
event horizon or cloverfield could make good survival horror games as well..not super exciting when you know the endings though.

not sure if I would classify it as horror, even though the creators do....but a well made walking dead mmorpg would be pretty cool also.
could also make a cool walking dead tower defensegame, where you have to defend your base, with homemade traps, while controlling your survivor/s
Dresden N7
Dresden N7
Posted on 13 October 17 at 08:14
iTz Canada Ehh said:
NawtyCawty said:
Sadly this is all just fantasy. Games of movies are usually crap and movies of games are even worse.
Agreed. Games of movies have to follow too closely to the movie and when the player takes control I feel like it feels unnatural, like a break in the action. Mind you, all lego games based on movies are great imo and Toy Story 3 was great too.

And movies of games are awful, I know I wanted to see the Assassin's Creed movie that came out a while back but I hadn't heard anything since, same with Need for Speed. Now after seeing the cinematic trailer for Origins why doesn't Ubisoft make animated video game movies with their movie studio? I feel those would turn out amazingly.
It was a surprise, but I actually liked the Need for Speed movie with Aaron Paul. Assassin's Creed was a mess, however. If they only ignored the modern-day Animus BS and focused solely on the historical fiction. I think that would have made for a decent movie.
TheMaize
TheMaize
Posted on 13 October 17 at 08:25
Dresden N7 said:
iTz Canada Ehh said:
NawtyCawty said:
Sadly this is all just fantasy. Games of movies are usually crap and movies of games are even worse.
Agreed. Games of movies have to follow too closely to the movie and when the player takes control I feel like it feels unnatural, like a break in the action. Mind you, all lego games based on movies are great imo and Toy Story 3 was great too.

And movies of games are awful, I know I wanted to see the Assassin's Creed movie that came out a while back but I hadn't heard anything since, same with Need for Speed. Now after seeing the cinematic trailer for Origins why doesn't Ubisoft make animated video game movies with their movie studio? I feel those would turn out amazingly.
It was a surprise, but I actually liked the Need for Speed movie with Aaron Paul. Assassin's Creed was a mess, however. If they only ignored the modern-day Animus BS and focused solely on the historical fiction. I think that would have made for a decent movie.
yeah, i agree...need for speed was good entertainment, as long as you go into it with no expectations.
Asassins creed was a disaster. so was warcraft (while a lot of the actors played really well, and still made it worth watching. the script was horrible)
scotwolf2
scotwolf2
Posted on 13 October 17 at 10:01
guffnuts said:
What about Tremors? Playing as an 80's Kevin Bacon would it make it one of the best games ever!
Ass Blastersrock
coinfrenzy
coinfrenzy
Posted on 13 October 17 at 10:23
Imagine you're playing as CHUCKY himself and having some sort of execution system like gears of war for weapon/locational executions. Even better being able to customize your executions as your terrorizing different locations like subways, hospitals, schools! I think it could be done amazingly.
Searching for my Female achievement hunting buddy <3
scotwolf2
scotwolf2
Posted on 13 October 17 at 10:30, Edited on 13 October 17 at 10:31 by scotwolf2
would like to see many more horror movies made(remade) in to good games, here's just a few that came to mind.

the omen
the descent
invasion of the bodysnatchers
the thing
rec
outpost
the purge

i'm sure there are many more, got to think back to the hammer horror movies and some of the old classic horror/sci fi B&W movies i watched as a kid.

rock
NawtyCawty
NawtyCawty
Posted on 13 October 17 at 11:09
guffnuts said:
What about Tremors? Playing as an 80's Kevin Bacon would it make it one of the best games ever!
Here's some swiss cheese and some bullets!
BPBPBPBPBPBPBP
Posted on 13 October 17 at 12:02
Spice World, would be the scariest game ever!
Dead Rising Survivalist: 17d 06h 58m (PS4 ; 2nd), 17d 06h 56m (Xbox One ; 1st) Xbox 360 : 17d 07h 00m (hacked leaderboard)
Legohead 1977
Legohead 1977
Posted on 13 October 17 at 12:06, Edited on 13 October 17 at 12:07 by Legohead 1977
TheMaize said:
event horizon or cloverfield could make good survival horror games as well..not super exciting when you know the endings though.

not sure if I would classify it as horror, even though the creators do....but a well made walking dead mmorpg would be pretty cool also.
could also make a cool walking dead tower defensegame, where you have to defend your base, with homemade traps, while controlling your survivor/s
As with most media/game ideas, these are all personal likes and dislikes, but the Walking Dead mmorpg is an awesome idea, and probably the only one, including the article, (no offense to anyone obviously), that has grabbed my attention. If only I had any idea how to get a game made!

You could slightly integrate the tower defense aspects into the mmorpg, or have a completely separate game.

The article isn't really made for me as I am not a fan of horror films on the whole as they tend to disappoint. Most of the movies I know nothing of, but we really don't need another Battle Royale 'spin-off'.

Hannibal the series was far stronger than the films, but I can't really see how that could be made into a game, most people know I am not a fan of the Telltale style of game in any way.

Dead Rising had the opportunity to mimic Romero, and I wish it had gone more 'serious' after the first game, the extreme silliness has lost me a bit. (That and continually spawning enemies).
Legohead 1977
capicawl
capicawl
Posted on 13 October 17 at 13:00
Phantasm would be a great series to make into a game!

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 13 October 17 at 13:19
Don't knock twice would have been my last choice
Alice in Chains
TheMaize
TheMaize
Posted on 13 October 17 at 13:32
Har Miggido said:
would be my last choice as well..considering its already a game, and has nothing to do with a movie ;o)
AKA Swede
AKA Swede
Posted on 13 October 17 at 13:59
Devil's Rejects
Sleepaway Camp 2&3
Critters 1-4
Cabin in the Woods
Army of Darkness
The Lost Boys
The Exorcist 3
and on and on and on ......
You have business cards? You're a stormtrooper. There's like a million of you.
Onsidic
Onsidic
Posted on 13 October 17 at 14:48, Edited on 13 October 17 at 14:51 by Onsidic
Read this article .. good read. Something that bugged me was the Manhunter comment, I thought I remembered there was a game based on this already from maybe late 80/early 90s.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 13 October 17 at 15:15
TheMaize said:
Har Miggido said:
would be my last choice as well..considering its already a game, and has nothing to do with a movie ;o)
It's a tie-in game based on a movie.
TheMaize
TheMaize
Posted on 13 October 17 at 15:18
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
TheMaize said:
Har Miggido said:
It's a tie-in game based on a movie.
i had no idea...you learn something new every day
MassiveAssault5
Posted on 13 October 17 at 16:18
Definitely second the idea they should make a Dead Space movie. While yes I agree that video game movies often suck, there is a rich amount of lore there and the horror element is both gory and present in all aspects whether physically or psychologically.
I am da L1quor
Posted on 13 October 17 at 16:21
I know this isn't a movie game, but anyone excited for the night trap remaster? Pretty much resembles a spoof of home invasion movies. One "horror movie" I would like to be a game would be Monkey Shines. It's stupid, but I would love to play a video game from the perspective of a killer pet monkey. That would make the purchase entirely worth it.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.