Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Eight Horror Movies That Would Make Good Video Games

AuthorMessage
Erik Seidel
Erik Seidel
Posted on 13 October 17 at 16:49, Edited on 13 October 17 at 16:59 by Erik Seidel
Great article! And I also like the idea about Cabin in the Woods from ShameOnAMonkk

However, most games that are based on movies are not that great and especially with horror titles I see the risk that the games are based too much on the movies and therefore offer not much new.

What I'd rather like to see would be a horror game that is created in collaboration with one or multiple bands from the technical deathcore/slamming deathcore/slam genres as lots of them have really extreme lyrics and album art and could contribute in noises as well as overall sound design.

Here is just an example of a song beginning that would fit into a horror film/game: https://youtu.be/yC9h2bxaqns?t=1s

And here is another example, this time with disgusting album art as well:
https://youtu.be/2DfrRNZp2Ag?t=5s

Just an idea laugh
Dalek Legion
Dalek Legion
Posted on 13 October 17 at 17:23
What about Leprechaun? Except you play as the Leprechaun and throw gold at pensioners and Jennifer Aniston.
Beep Boop
ScoobyDoobyD0nt
Posted on 13 October 17 at 17:38
Chris8875 said:
I'd like to see "Spelunky" crossed with "The Descent" personally. Now that would make for an interesting experience.
that would make an excellent game, but instead of spelunky i was thinking more along the lines of an outcast experience. imagine the terror of delving deep into the earth with those...creatures.. that would be epic! i wonder if a game like that already exists...
Scoooooby-doooooby-dooooo
KILLSHOT666
KILLSHOT666
Posted on 13 October 17 at 18:09
Just bring back Manhunt. Pretty much horror..
Or just reverse that and make a Manhunt movie..
Vok 250
Vok 250
Posted on 13 October 17 at 18:24
Excellent article! This is one of the most creative and intriguing gaming topics I have seen in a long time.

I personally think As Above, So Below could make for a terrifying game. Not sure what the mechanics of it would be, but the movie created such a haunting sci-fi/horror setting. Maybe some kind of cooperative rougelike horror where the layout of tunnels and rooms is randomly generated and you have to try to survive and solve puzzles in order to outrun an unknown horror. It could have randomized mechanics each game like the boardgame Betrayal at House on the Hill where there is a possibility that one player would silently switch teams and betray their teammates.
F TANK
F TANK
Posted on 13 October 17 at 22:57
I would say:
They Live
The Thing (I know, but we need another)
Lord of Illusions (the first Evil Within had a similar vibe to it)
Frankenhooker
Kyl3Ruth
Kyl3Ruth
Posted on 14 October 17 at 00:16
From Dusk till dawn?
MagicRobotNinja
Posted on 14 October 17 at 01:05
Even if all of these took off and were made and some of em sucked as far as video games are concerned I would still be happy that horror and the developers that made it are getting exposure!

We are a ravenous bunch, us horror fans, and if some of the movies we enjoy are any indication a few shitty horror games isn't gonna stop us from playing and enjoying them nonetheless. Dark lords know I enjoy some horrible movies. Yet the "it's so bad it's good" genre is one of a kind and will never die.

Happy Fri the 13th, fellow gore hounds!
All That Is Heavy! http://allthatisheavy.com/
Rhyolitic
Rhyolitic
Posted on 14 October 17 at 03:02
Event Horizon in the vein of Alien: Isolation. Set during the period where the ship is missing and you're a crew member trying to find a way out before you go insane. Use some of Eternal Dark's sanity mechanics to really screw with the player.

Killer Klowns From Outer Space. A top-down, procedurally generated shooter or a third person action game in the vein of Dead Rising. You can use anything and everything to try and save the town.
BPBPBPBPBPBPBP
Posted on 14 October 17 at 03:28
Rhyolitic said:
Killer Klowns From Outer Space. A top-down, procedurally generated shooter or a third person action game in the vein of Dead Rising. You can use anything and everything to try and save the town.
*Featuring Adam MacIntyre
Dead Rising Survivalist: 17d 06h 58m (PS4 ; 2nd), 17d 06h 56m (Xbox One ; 1st) Xbox 360 : 17d 07h 00m (hacked leaderboard)
KAG1092
KAG1092
Posted on 14 October 17 at 08:35
Always thought The Descent could be a fun little game, though maybe not very ground-breaking.
CYBORG TANKv18
Posted on 14 October 17 at 16:48
Michael Myers doesn't get enough credit as being 1 one of the top horror icons, I'd love to see him get his own game 4v1 or 5v1, each babysitter would have to try to stay alive but also keep the kid they're babysitting alive.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 14 October 17 at 19:04
CYBORG TANKv18 said:
Michael Myers doesn't get enough credit as being 1 one of the top horror icons, I'd love to see him get his own game 4v1 or 5v1, each babysitter would have to try to stay alive but also keep the kid they're babysitting alive.
He's a DLC character in Dead By Daylight, as is Leatherface and Pumpkinhead, I believe. I might be making that one up.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 14 October 17 at 23:16, Edited on 14 October 17 at 23:17 by
scotwolf2 said:
would like to see many more horror movies made(remade) in to good games, here's just a few that came to mind.

the omen
the descent
invasion of the bodysnatchers
the thing
rec
outpost
the purge

i'm sure there are many more, got to think back to the hammer horror movies and some of the old classic horror/sci fi B&W movies i watched as a kid.

rock
OMG "the thing" would be cool to play man, like a remake.
Osuraa

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 15 October 17 at 13:43
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
TheMaize said:
Har Miggido said:
Don't knock twice would have been my last choice
would be my last choice as well..considering its already a game, and has nothing to do with a movie ;o)
It's a tie-in game based on a movie.
Thanks NPB
Alice in Chains
DownInFlames85
Posted on 15 October 17 at 16:22
Out of the listed ones, I'd love to see a "Don't Breathe" type game. Maybe a second one in "It Follows" as well.
Someday we will foresee obstacles, through the blizzard...
D3m0nF0rc3
D3m0nF0rc3
Posted on 16 October 17 at 03:42
Dont see revenge of the killer tomatoes mentioned :O
Then theres that classic The Car

Pet cemetary, you could be play the part of a reconstituted goat.

Still I think the winner has to be chuckie, who could always hunt for his bride to make the ultimate gaming horror duo
sonnyliston1
sonnyliston1
Posted on 16 October 17 at 08:38
ShameOnAMonkk said:
How about Cabin In The Woods but you get to be the one to set up the cabin? It can use an Evil Genius type base building mechanic (or something similar). Unlock new traps/monsters/etc. as you progress.
I think think this could also work as a horde based survival. Once you pick an item from the basement you have to survive against a random force, with potentially a means of escape.
sonnyliston1
Kuningatar V
Kuningatar V
Posted on 17 October 17 at 05:16
Cool ideas but cmon ppl want shooters set in near future or wacky zombie stuff. Or another amazing Assassins Creed game...
Kane
Kane
Posted on 17 October 17 at 17:29
We need these games to be a thing!
toastPre-Order worth $39.99 seems rather neat for these titles he's representing to us. Most of which would be liked more than other's but will bring a variety of Horror games to Xbox (Which hasn't had too many famiiar Horror scenes). Yeah the Nightmare On Elm Street would be a def buy because it sounds interesting not only because we haven't had a REAL game based off of it but also because it'll take a huge twist on the Horror Gaming Network that currently needs a buff. Other's i'm not so interested in but hey if it interests you then well be it!

That's just my opinion, but if it offended anyone (which it shouldn't) then please tell me and i'll delete it smiletoastdancecompute
Xbox: GTASAROCKS88 Steam: HughyJuspur
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.