TA Playlist Forum

Messageboard for all things TA Playlist

TA Playlist Podcast Episode 7 - Alien: Isolation

AuthorMessage
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 26 October 17 at 19:01
In space, no one can hear you podcast

Please click here to read the story: TA Playlist Podcast Episode 7 - Alien: Isolation
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 26 October 17 at 20:11
Will shall always be remembered for everything he brought to the podcast. His time with us was far too short, but we should all take solace in the fact that his memory will live on through his videos and in each of us hosts.
WillCBlogs
WillCBlogs
Posted on 26 October 17 at 20:14
Eurydace said:
Will shall always be remembered for everything he brought to the podcast. His time with us was far too short, but we should all take solace in the fact that his memory will live on through his videos and in each of us hosts.
Shut up laugh
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 26 October 17 at 22:26
As always. Great podcast. Although not in the horror or survival-horror genre, for Halloween, if you have not already done so, I would recommend playing a game in the Costume Quest Series.

With regards to the mention in the podcast of Creative Assembly as a developer, their success in Isolation is in keeping with their earlier work. Shogun: Total War brought a cinematographic perspective to RTS games and Creative Assembly was adept at creating a movie-like atmosphere. Subsequent games in the Total War series further demonstrated Creative Assembly's skills in this regard.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 26 October 17 at 22:36
Allgorhythm said:
As always. Great podcast. Although not in the horror or survival-horror genre, for Halloween, if you have not already done so, I would recommend playing a game in the Costume Quest Series.

With regards to the mention in the podcast of Creative Assembly as a developer, their success in Isolation is in keeping with their earlier work. Shogun: Total War brought a cinematographic perspective to RTS games and Creative Assembly was adept at creating a movie-like atmosphere. Subsequent games in the Total War series further demonstrated Creative Assembly's skills in this regard.
Interesting. Can you show me a good example?
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 27 October 17 at 01:44
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:
Interesting. Can you show me a good example?
First, to answer your question, here's a good example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYt3K9Z1_zk

One of the neat things about the Total War series is that, when you get any Total War game, you are registered on the Total War resource center. This allows you to manipulate cinematographic replays of your battles to create your own movies. So, not only are the cut scenes fabulous--as if they came out of an Akira Kurosawa award winning film and battle replays spectacular in cinematographic mode; but, you can use the resources to create your own movie called a machinima. You have some powerful resources at your disposal and there are tons of Total War machinimas on YouTube--some of them are really imaginative.

For example, here's a representation of The Last Samurai using Shogun 2: Total War to create the cinematography. The creator does a lot of Total War Machinimas:

https://youtu.be/lOZD7Dqmsew

The point is that the Total War games are phenomenal RTS games. Their basic gameplay is absorbing in itself. But because the cinematography in the games (both cut scenes and battle enactments) is so spectacular and because Creative Assembly provides a lot of resource tools to manipulate the visuals, people get caught up just in the movie side of things.
HawkeyeBarry20
Posted on 28 October 17 at 05:20, Edited on 28 October 17 at 05:23 by HawkeyeBarry20
Thank goodness for Mark, the voice of reason this week haha. The hot topic which surprised me was the ending. I didn’t think there was much of an argument Amanda lived, the light really hinted she was saved but the question to me was by whom. I love movies and games that don’t give Disney endings and even if she didn’t live OF COURSE everything she did mattered.

The reason she came on the ship was to find out about her mom, she did. Through recordings and readings you find out the space station was being bought so the alien could be captured and by destroying the spaceship she ensured all aliens were killed and nothing could be brought back to earth or wherever. She potentially gave her life to ensure maybe millions of lives were saved.

With the space station being bought I believe it was probably the buyers whose lights shine on Ridley at the end, a nice segue to the sequel which I believe was the intent of the ending. Random, I wouldn’t put my complete faith in a deleted scene being canon, if the game was wildly successful I think they would of had the green light to do whatever they wanted with Amanda.

I never encountered a six minute period of just waiting for the alien to leave but I wonder depending on how close the alien was and what you were hiding in if a noisemaker couldn’t have provided an escape. The level of difficulty definitely makes a difference about how long the alien hangs around. On easy mode it’s in and out very quickly.

What killed me listening to the podcast except for my favorite Mark (this week) was the puzzle aspect. The thing with puzzles and stealth going hand in hand is almost always once you know the puzzle the challenge is gone. Alien Isolation elevated itself above the competition on that with the Aliens random movements, no playthrough is the same, the challenge is always there and the game is always a bit different. One playthrough you can visit three rooms and not worry about the alien but on your second the alien could be on your tail for every room. This helps improve the replay ability of this game ten fold.

Last thing, I liked the collectibles they really were the story for me I just wish you couldn’t be killed reading or listening to them. I wanted to take my time to to absorb the story but one time as soon as I was finished and went back to the game I was killed and I know the alien wasn’t behind me when I logged into the computer. This made me quit reading them and in my mind changed them from great additional info to a gabbing a stupid thermos only for achievement purposes. I think you can still read or listen to everything from the pause menu but that takes you out of the game and not something I wanted to do.
kintaris
kintaris
Posted on 28 October 17 at 22:34
HawkeyeBarry20 said:
Thank goodness for Mark, the voice of reason this week haha. The hot topic which surprised me was the ending. I didn’t think there was much of an argument Amanda lived, the light really hinted she was saved but the question to me was by whom. I love movies and games that don’t give Disney endings and even if she didn’t live OF COURSE everything she did mattered.

The reason she came on the ship was to find out about her mom, she did. Through recordings and readings you find out the space station was being bought so the alien could be captured and by destroying the spaceship she ensured all aliens were killed and nothing could be brought back to earth or wherever. She potentially gave her life to ensure maybe millions of lives were saved.

With the space station being bought I believe it was probably the buyers whose lights shine on Ridley at the end, a nice segue to the sequel which I believe was the intent of the ending. Random, I wouldn’t put my complete faith in a deleted scene being canon, if the game was wildly successful I think they would of had the green light to do whatever they wanted with Amanda.

I never encountered a six minute period of just waiting for the alien to leave but I wonder depending on how close the alien was and what you were hiding in if a noisemaker couldn’t have provided an escape. The level of difficulty definitely makes a difference about how long the alien hangs around. On easy mode it’s in and out very quickly.

What killed me listening to the podcast except for my favorite Mark (this week) was the puzzle aspect. The thing with puzzles and stealth going hand in hand is almost always once you know the puzzle the challenge is gone. Alien Isolation elevated itself above the competition on that with the Aliens random movements, no playthrough is the same, the challenge is always there and the game is always a bit different. One playthrough you can visit three rooms and not worry about the alien but on your second the alien could be on your tail for every room. This helps improve the replay ability of this game ten fold.

Last thing, I liked the collectibles they really were the story for me I just wish you couldn’t be killed reading or listening to them. I wanted to take my time to to absorb the story but one time as soon as I was finished and went back to the game I was killed and I know the alien wasn’t behind me when I logged into the computer. This made me quit reading them and in my mind changed them from great additional info to a gabbing a stupid thermos only for achievement purposes. I think you can still read or listen to everything from the pause menu but that takes you out of the game and not something I wanted to do.
Thanks for your feedback! We surprised ourselves, I think, lingering so long on the ending. For me it was less of a question of survival/non-survival and more just the abruptness of the final moment. But endings are always divisive.

You've made some interesting points. I actually really enjoyed the Alien parts on the whole, much more so than Kevin certainly. It just scared the crap out of me, basically laugh. I still think the stalking scenarios got more annoying than scary towards the end, but up until that point they had been incredibly effective.
ChewieOnIce
ChewieOnIce
Posted on 06 November 17 at 17:22
Great podcast guys. Sam's a fantastic contributor with insightful commentary, though maybe Will's manic energy is missed somewhat laugh

I'm a film graduate too and find myself consuming media in a very analytical way that can sometimes lessen the immersion. Although, unlike Sam, I love horror, partly because the craft fascinates me and I feel like it's a genre where creativity and craftsmanship can really shine.

I'm sad I was unable to participate this month due to a lost disc as I adore the franchise and I have the game unfinished. Oh well.

One technical point (though it's one that might be difficult to fix) is that there appeared to be some lag that led to occasional overlapping voices or silence gaps of a couple of seconds, which could have been edited down.
@ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
WillCBlogs
WillCBlogs
Posted on 06 November 17 at 17:28
ChewieOnIce said:
Great podcast guys. Sam's a fantastic contributor with insightful commentary, though maybe Will's manic energy is missed somewhat laugh

I'm a film graduate too and find myself consuming media in a very analytical way that can sometimes lessen the immersion. Although, unlike Sam, I love horror, partly because the craft fascinates me and I feel like it's a genre where creativity and craftsmanship can really shine.
Film grads in the houseeee headspin.

I do semi miss arguing with Kev about everything but it's all good. Love horror too laugh. Didn't fully listen to this months playlist but one day I'll beat the game & when that happens, i'll give this a listen!
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 06 November 17 at 18:16
ChewieOnIce said:
One technical point (though it's one that might be difficult to fix) is that there appeared to be some lag that led to occasional overlapping voices or silence gaps of a couple of seconds, which could have been edited down.
Our recording host, Zencastr, is having issues with this lately. We tried our best to fix it and Kevin even went through twice to patch it up but some parts were really tough to resolve. We actually had to remove a good joke from Sam because it was beaten up by this problem. It's a bit out of our hands, though they informed us of some workarounds that should resolve it for Turing Test and beyond. And they're working to patch it themselves too, so eventually it should be seamlessly fixed for all users. I know Dave, Rich, and Jack are having a similar problem with their pod too. Zencastr is typically fantastic. They're just working through some issues right now it seems.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.