Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Xbox Game Gifting Available To Insiders

AuthorMessage
Spilner
Spilner
Posted on 28 October 17 at 19:44
TheIcemanCometh said:
Until this rolls out to everyone, can an Insider gift a game to someone that's NOT an Insider?
Pretty sure its to everyone, the gift really just sends the recipient a code so there shouldnt be a reason a noninsider cannot use it.
Pom poms at the ready, cheerleaders!
UnbeatenDJChris
UnbeatenDJChris
Posted on 28 October 17 at 20:25
You can always try it on me 🙂
MavericK XVII
MavericK XVII
Posted on 29 October 17 at 10:48
Anyone on the Beta ring got this update yet? My console says last update was 23/10 and no new updates available yet :(
stebeer85
stebeer85
Posted on 29 October 17 at 13:09
I just wanna play games and watch tv at same time, Not the old snap feature but a PIP that would b similar to how the achievement tracker works!
AussieBigfoot
AussieBigfoot
Posted on 29 October 17 at 16:20
After a little play around with this..

Gifting a Game Pass brings up options for 3 month & 6 month subscriptions. Normally I just see the 14 day trial or 1 month subscription.

Trying to gift any GWG game, you actually have to purchase it to gift it, no gifting of free games.

The price of the gift is the sale/discounted price (if there's a current discount for it, including Deals with Gold, weekly deals, & EA Access discount).

You can't gift previous Gen. games, they have to be the Xbox One release version. Equally you can't gift non-games, such as movies, tv shows, or hardware.

The gift has to be redeemed in the same country/region store as it was purchased!
prokop
prokop
Posted on 29 October 17 at 16:27
AussieBigfoot said:

Gifting a Game Pass brings up options for 3 month & 6 month subscriptions. Normally I just see the 14 day trial or 1 month subscription.

Trying to gift any GWG game, you actually have to purchase it to gift it, no gifting of free games.

The price of the gift is the sale/discounted price (if there's a current discount for it, including Deals with Gold, weekly deals, & EA Access discount).

You can't gift previous Gen. games, they have to be the Xbox One release version. Equally you can't gift non-games, such as movies, tv shows, or hardware.

The gift has to be redeemed in the same country/region store as it was purchased!
Same country or same region? Those are two very different things
C.C. Prokop
AussieBigfoot
AussieBigfoot
Posted on 29 October 17 at 16:59
prokop said:
AussieBigfoot said:

Same country or same region? Those are two very different things
As seen in the 2nd image in the article & from my trialling, it's the same country store as it was purchased.

The "Microsoft Gift Terms and Conditions (digital goods)", states: "Gifts can only be purchased and redeemed by users in the same country/region, and only at participating stores".
Alahert
Alahert
Posted on 29 October 17 at 17:58
I'll definitely use this!
DARK 777
HolyHalfDead
HolyHalfDead
Posted on 29 October 17 at 21:39, Edited on 29 October 17 at 21:50 by HolyHalfDead
KBop a doo said:
reforc3 said:
But the gift is at full price and not with the discount as you can see in slide 1 and 2
It is the Game Pass discount, though. It would actually make sense for discounts like that to not transfer, otherwise people could profit off selling games for a slight markup that's still cheaper than the regular price to people without the appropriate membership (Xbox Live Gold, Game Pass discount, EA Access discount).

Has anyone tested it on just a regular sale game that does not require any memberships to receive the sale price?
AussieBigfoot said:

Some great tests you have run, thanks for sharing. So apparently there is an error in the slides, or you didn't test Game Pass?

Personally I would expect XBL Free pricing to apply to the purchase, but not XBL Gold pricing.

I have games purchased with the Gold discount from another account on my "home" Xbox One. Now I can have the account with Gold, send me a code which I can add to my account. That's cool and unexpected.
He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
KBop a doo
KBop a doo
Posted on 29 October 17 at 22:12, Edited on 29 October 17 at 22:17 by KBop a doo
Found an interesting article over on Windows Central about this. From the article:

If a sale is underway for games and DLC, game gifting can be used to provide a gift at a discount. However, only two copies of a specific discounted item can be gifted over a two-week period by a single user. After purchasing two copies of an item via game gifting, that item also cannot be gifted again for another 14 days, regardless of whether the discount is still active. Every two weeks, only 10 discounted items can be gifted from a single account before entering a cooldown period, where only full-price titles can be sent. There is no known restriction on full-price game gifting.
So it looks like the solution to possible abuse of membership pricing is to restrict the amount of discounted games that can be gifted in a given time period (instead of not allowing the sale price to be used at all). Seems fair for the most part, although 10 doesn't seem like very many for someone gifting to all their friends/family over the holidays. Someone could very well legitimately be gifting that many sale-priced games around the holidays with no intentions of exploiting the system. We'll see how it all plays out!
coinfrenzy
coinfrenzy
Posted on 30 October 17 at 00:12
I can see every twitcher thats actually popular asking for people now or even having a link to a list of games they want people to buy for them. This should have been done a long time ago!
http://stores.ebay.com/coinfrenzyclaimsaleIG-@COINFRENZYGAMES
HolyHalfDead
HolyHalfDead
Posted on 30 October 17 at 00:27
KBop a doo said:
Found an interesting article over on Windows Central about this. From the article:

If a sale is underway for games and DLC, game gifting can be used to provide a gift at a discount. However, only two copies of a specific discounted item can be gifted over a two-week period by a single user. After purchasing two copies of an item via game gifting, that item also cannot be gifted again for another 14 days, regardless of whether the discount is still active. Every two weeks, only 10 discounted items can be gifted from a single account before entering a cooldown period, where only full-price titles can be sent. There is no known restriction on full-price game gifting.
So it looks like the solution to possible abuse of membership pricing is to restrict the amount of discounted games that can be gifted in a given time period (instead of not allowing the sale price to be used at all). Seems fair for the most part, although 10 doesn't seem like very many for someone gifting to all their friends/family over the holidays. Someone could very well legitimately be gifting that many sale-priced games around the holidays with no intentions of exploiting the system. We'll see how it all plays out!
I think it is a reasonable solution, it's better than not getting the discount on gifting at all. I'm sure we will see people trying to sell these codes on eBay, even though it is against the eBay T&C.

I want to test out if the region limitation is a social restriction or an actual technical one. My guess it is social, so that when someone in the US gifts a game to someone in New Zealand where the game has not been released, that the error you get when you redeem the code does then not need to be explained by Microsoft. But we all know the person in New Zealand can change the region of their console to US, redeem a code and download it, then change their region back and still have full access to the game.
He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
shadowninja25
shadowninja25
Posted on 30 October 17 at 03:32
I hope it is someday updated to allow people to gift games they already own.
SneezeSomeMilk
Posted on 30 October 17 at 10:14
stebeer85 said:
I just wanna play games and watch tv at same time, Not the old snap feature but a PIP that would b similar to how the achievement tracker works!
That would be awesome.
HUstlinonradio
Posted on 30 October 17 at 14:28
KBop a doo said:

I think that is most likely part of the minority and their response is that it is a compromise against persons who will try to make money from third party websites like G2A
I'm Awkward With Potential: Boss Major
mydefposse
mydefposse
Posted on 30 October 17 at 14:50
So could someone purchase a US only game and gift it to a UK tag? Would the UK tag have to switch stores temporarily just to redeem it or would it not allow it full stop?
ClandorBowman
ClandorBowman
Posted on 30 October 17 at 15:08
My only question is if this will only be able to be done on xbox or if you could do it online from the website. So if you don't want to get on your xbox if you want to give someone a gift or if someone who doesn't have an xbox can give a gift to someone who does.
Stay Classy
Predefiance
Predefiance
Posted on 30 October 17 at 23:02
Awesome. The DLC is a good addition - I'm glad they included that because it means I can buy DLC for my friends now as birthday presents or christmas.
HolyHalfDead
HolyHalfDead
Posted on 30 October 17 at 23:09
ClandorBowman said:
My only question is if this will only be able to be done on xbox or if you could do it online from the website. So if you don't want to get on your xbox if you want to give someone a gift or if someone who doesn't have an xbox can give a gift to someone who does.
I see no reason why it won't eventually be available through microsoft.com.
HolyHalfDead
HolyHalfDead
Posted on 30 October 17 at 23:12
mydefposse said:
So could someone purchase a US only game and gift it to a UK tag? Would the UK tag have to switch stores temporarily just to redeem it or would it not allow it full stop?
My assumption is most US codes will work on the UK store. However if the game is not available in the UK you will need to switch store region to US to be able to redeem the code and complete the download.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.