Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Xbox Game Gifting Available To Insiders

AuthorMessage
mydefposse
mydefposse
Posted on 31 October 17 at 01:18
HolyHalfDead said:
mydefposse said:
So could someone purchase a US only game and gift it to a UK tag? Would the UK tag have to switch stores temporarily just to redeem it or would it not allow it full stop?
My assumption is most US codes will work on the UK store. However if the game is not available in the UK you will need to switch store region to US to be able to redeem the code and complete the download.
That's what I thought/hope. So I could essentially PayPal someone the $ to gift me a US-Only game instead of go through the hassle of getting a US gift card etc...
AussieBigfoot
AussieBigfoot
Posted on 31 October 17 at 14:04
ClandorBowman said:
My only question is if this will only be able to be done on xbox or if you could do it online from the website. So if you don't want to get on your xbox if you want to give someone a gift or if someone who doesn't have an xbox can give a gift to someone who does.
Those using Windows 10, can also gift via the the Microsoft Store App (formally the Windows Store) - seemingly only xbox live enabled games/apps; but currently I don't see the ability to gift implemented on either xbox.com or microsoft.com .

Also the T&C I referred to in an earlier post, can be viewed at: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/b/giftterms?rtc=1&...
Spilner
Spilner
Posted on 01 November 17 at 00:56
Curious if its cause im an insider but gifting is also showing on the website for me.
Pom poms at the ready, cheerleaders!
prokop
prokop
Posted on 01 November 17 at 01:08
AussieBigfoot said:
prokop said:
AussieBigfoot said:

The gift has to be redeemed in the same country/region store as it was purchased!
Same country or same region? Those are two very different things
As seen in the 2nd image in the article & from my trialling, it's the same country store as it was purchased.

The "Microsoft Gift Terms and Conditions (digital goods)", states: "Gifts can only be purchased and redeemed by users in the same country/region, and only at participating stores".
country/region is a big deal for me.

region for me is North America, country is Canada. so can i gift to my US buddies or not
C.C. Prokop
Lobo Samhain
Lobo Samhain
Posted on 01 November 17 at 11:36, Edited on 01 November 17 at 11:37 by Lobo Samhain
what would really be cool is if you could gift a portion of a bundle to another gamer. like just the season pass from a goty for instance or certain songs from a rockband dlc pack especially if a portion of the content is already owned by the purchaser.
coinfrenzy
coinfrenzy
Posted on 04 November 17 at 01:21
Lobo Samhain said:
what would really be cool is if you could gift a portion of a bundle to another gamer. like just the season pass from a goty for instance or certain songs from a rockband dlc pack especially if a portion of the content is already owned by the purchaser.
Thats so specific but yeah I can see that being useful if we were room mates and you wanted a few songs and I wanted the other splitting the cost lol
http://stores.ebay.com/coinfrenzyclaimsale IG-@COINFRENZYGAMES
JackTheCreeper
Posted on 14 November 17 at 01:50
I just noticed that this has become available on the Xbox Store and I'm not an Xbox Insider.
HolyHalfDead
HolyHalfDead
Posted on 15 November 17 at 01:13, Edited on 15 November 17 at 01:15 by HolyHalfDead
HolyHalfDead said:
mydefposse said:
So could someone purchase a US only game and gift it to a UK tag? Would the UK tag have to switch stores temporarily just to redeem it or would it not allow it full stop?
My assumption is most US codes will work on the UK store. However if the game is not available in the UK you will need to switch store region to US to be able to redeem the code and complete the download.
I can confirm you cannot gift to someone outside your country :(

A friend in the US sent me a gift code :)

The generated codes are indeed region locked.
- Changing your browser to that region does not work.
- Changing your Xbox One to that region does not work.
- Having an account in that region does not work.

You will need a VPN to the region that the code was purchased in to get an IP address that the code can then be redeemed on.
He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
mydefposse
mydefposse
Posted on 22 November 17 at 13:07
HolyHalfDead said:
HolyHalfDead said:
mydefposse said:
I can confirm you cannot gift to someone outside your country :(

A friend in the US sent me a gift code :)

The generated codes are indeed region locked.
- Changing your browser to that region does not work.
- Changing your Xbox One to that region does not work.
- Having an account in that region does not work.

You will need a VPN to the region that the code was purchased in to get an IP address that the code can then be redeemed on.
Thanks for confirming! Have you tried to see if a VPN does work? If it does work with a VPN on xbox.com then this is still much easier than getting US gift cards (and cheaper since you can't always buy the exact amount you need)
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.