Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Alpha Ring Xbox Insiders Can Now Remove 0 Gamerscore Games from Their Profiles

AuthorMessage
Racxie
Racxie
Posted on 30 October 17 at 17:40
AngloSaxton said:
Xaqqa said:
Still pissed that they removed the Xbox One Edition of Minecraft from the store and replaced it with this new buggy piece of shit. I still needed some achievements on the Xbox One Edition and now it's stuck at a percentage.
If you own the Xbox One Edition, or ever did, you are still able to download and play it. The only thing removal from the store does is prevent new sales of that version.

I was playing the xbox one edition with friends this weekend and earned 8 achievements.
Isn't it still the same one available on disc? So doesn't that mean you could just buy it in-store?
lightsup55
lightsup55
Posted on 30 October 17 at 19:02, Edited on 30 October 17 at 19:10 by lightsup55
Racxie said:
AngloSaxton said:
Xaqqa said:
Still pissed that they removed the Xbox One Edition of Minecraft from the store and replaced it with this new buggy piece of shit. I still needed some achievements on the Xbox One Edition and now it's stuck at a percentage.
If you own the Xbox One Edition, or ever did, you are still able to download and play it. The only thing removal from the store does is prevent new sales of that version.

I was playing the xbox one edition with friends this weekend and earned 8 achievements.
Isn't it still the same one available on disc? So doesn't that mean you could just buy it in-store?
Yes, but Minecraft: Xbox One Edition (a.k.a. old version / Console Edition) is no longer available for new purchase digitally (replaced by the Better Together Update, "Minecraft"). You might still be able to obtain the Console Edition on physical disc (probably used from a video game store). You may need to be connected to Xbox Live to receive the latest update (especially with the physical disc release, which needs to be installed).

And yes, Minecraft: Xbox One Edition (if you own it digitally or on disc) can still be played and all achievements are obtainable. You can also play online multiplayer in Minecraft: Xbox One Edition as well.
Fire Hawk D
Fire Hawk D
Posted on 30 October 17 at 19:17
AlterPred said:
Any chance we will be able to remove those games we start get one or two achievements in before deciding they suck and quitting. That would be great, I'm cool with it subtracting from my gamerscore.
Hopefully never.
oI 420 RUSH Io
Posted on 30 October 17 at 19:20
I would like the ability to remove games that also have achievements... This will obviously deduct from your total GS aswell.... I want this purely due to server closures and also the unobtainable achievements that never seem to get fixed. shud have a limit on it though like 3 a year to prevent it being exploited.
SUCCESSFUL TRADES The AuD Doc, AntaraelDulacre, Shin Gatsurai, Hartland, CLOWN TASTIC 08
ArkhmInmate0801
ArkhmInmate0801
Posted on 30 October 17 at 19:35
Sweet!

I just started Assassin's Creed Revelations because it was 0%. Good thing it turned out to be a fun game.

Now I can delete Civilization Revolution though!
Zarda1
Zarda1
Posted on 30 October 17 at 20:28
Civ rev is fun once you get a huge city built up its almost funny.
Predefiance
Predefiance
Posted on 30 October 17 at 21:37
ELBaRTii said:
Ha, now I can finally hide that aerobics game my girlfriend accidentally started on my profile (I'm glad it still says 0/1000).
I had a friend fire up GTA V on my profile without realising I'd specifically made a new profile to play it one day. By the time I'd gotten up and realised what was going on, it was too late; he'd already popped a couple of achievements. I wish it'd been 0/1000.
Petrolium Bear
Posted on 30 October 17 at 23:21
Really nice to se this. I Don't really understand why it was not there from the start, I mean it was/is on the 360 -presscn_Xto delete game history- so hope to see it on ONE too, as an OCD like person 0g games on my tag is the bane of my gaming life. Thank you.
Play for achievements. Play for fun. Secret Achievements aren't so secret when it tells you there is a 'Secret Achievement'
djpatterson2011
Posted on 31 October 17 at 02:10
This has always been a controversial topic, but one I feel strongly about. The debate can go on forever because people have different preferences and conceptions about what a gamertag and achievements mean to them (and often what they should mean to others). Ultimately, all of the power on this topic resides with Microsoft and I doubt they will ever extend this feature to games with more than 0 gamerscore, but here is why I have been hoping that they do for 6 years.

1. I care about what games are on my gamertag. It enhances my enjoyment of gaming to have more control over my profile. I don't care if other people ever look at my gamertag. I don't care if you think I should not care about my gamertag.

2. I don't care what other people do with their profile. It is theirs to enjoy as they like and I don't want to infringe upon their enjoyment.

3. If it were an option to delete games from my gamertag, I personally would not delete games with unobtainable achievements or games I can't complete. I would not delete games to get a 100% completion. I would delete games that I truly hate and don't want on my card, whether they are 100%, 0%, or in between. My reasons are my own, just as I would encourage others to make decisions based on their own reasons and preferences.

4. I am extremely careful about which games I choose to play, but I don't think it is reasonable to have to test every game on an alternate account for several hours per game before playing on my main account. I test some games on an alternate account if I think there is a chance I won't like it, but honestly I don't think I can fully evaluate a game until I have finished it.

5. Even though unobtainable achievements don't bother me much, I understand why they might bother others and I would not have a problem if other people preferred to delete games with unobtainables.

6. I can also understand that you might enjoy comparing your gamertag to others, particularly in relation to completion %. If others choose to delete games and you don't, they could have an advantage in that comparison. However, it is not an unfair advantage because you have the option to do the same. It also isn't justification to restrict what others can do with their profile because of your preferences. This is similar to the debate over gay marriage - if you don't like it, don't marry someone the same gender as you. It isn't a reason to interfere in the happiness of others. If gay marriage destroys the concept of marriage entirely for you, you are choosing to let the actions of others define your happiness. Just like if someone deleting achievements destroys the concept of achievements for you, you are choosing to let the actions of others define your happiness.

7. If someone really wants to manipulate their gamertag to get 100% completion, they already can. The ability to delete achievements would just make it easier. It still won't make it any easier to obtain achievements or complete difficult games.

8. Ultimately, this is a feature that Microsoft can choose to offer or not. I want this feature badly enough that I would pay a lot of money for the option to delete games from my gamertag. Unfortunately for me, I don't think there are enough other people like me who would pay for this service to get Microsoft to do anything, even if it is easy for them to implement.
LuckyConquerer2
Posted on 31 October 17 at 05:02
Did you just compare gay marriage and deleting gamerscore? What the hell? The former is a fundamental human right whilst the later is a mockery of a competitive scoring system.

Gay marriage impacts no one but the partners who get married, whereas gamerscore has stat tracking, leaderboards and competitions that impact us all.
This post might be sarcastic.
chuckthetekkie
Posted on 31 October 17 at 07:01
I have one game (Borderlands 2 Xbox One) that shows up twice on the Xbox site. One with the proper amount of Achievements and the other with ZERO achievements but only on the website. How about fixing that too? I have 2 copies of Minecraft for 360 showing up and the 2nd one doesn't contain any achievements when you go into it.

I have plenty of games that got started accidentally because either my account was logged in while my sister (on her own account) was playing a game or it got started because the Xbox One dash lagged and started the game. Some I never even started yet they are there.

All of the betas only show up on the Xbox website but not on the console itself. There needs to be a way to remove those as well. Betas or 0 achievement games should never be added to your profile to begin with
Legohead 1977
Legohead 1977
Posted on 31 October 17 at 14:07, Edited on 31 October 17 at 14:12 by Legohead 1977
LuckyConquerer2 said:
Did you just compare gay marriage and deleting gamerscore? What the hell? The former is a fundamental human right whilst the later is a mockery of a competitive scoring system.

Gay marriage impacts no one but the partners who get married, whereas gamerscore has stat tracking, leaderboards and competitions that impact us all.
In fairness they did say 'similar', which if you ignored nearly all aspects other than your choice is your own, then they may have a point! laugh

If you are already making a point you may think will spark controversy, then I would personally avoid bringing up another.

I have always said that I would like to be able to remove hole in the wall, if only because the achievement which is unobtainable is for getting all the other achievements, so it's just terrible laziness by the devs. However, there isn't much point as I will never get 100%. It would be nice to think it was possible at least though.

At the end of the day, I have joined this site, even if I don't agree with all aspects of it, I trust the guys to come up with the best solutions and as a member of the site I will continue to abide by their decisions. I believe that means no gamerscore tampering of any sort!

I honestly don't think I know how to look at my achievements via the one...I probably have loads of 0g games on there where I have been logged in while other people play, if that's a way they can arise.
Legohead 1977
ALollz
ALollz
Posted on 31 October 17 at 18:51
Deleting or Hiding "0 G" games is fine because you aren't really doing anything, other than removing useless clutter.

Removing a game with more than "0 G" is akin to cherry picking stats. Whether you like it or not, the non-zero games on your tag are an accurate. Microsoft and this site clearly want to maintain the integrity of those statistics, and I'm fully on their side.

I am sympathetic to those who have annoying unobtainable achievements on their tag. But I mean the data is what it is. You just have to deal with it. You earned those achievements (or at least someone playing on your tag earned those achievements) so it's a legitimate piece of information and it counts. Only cheating can and should be removed.

I used to be obsessed with perfect completion and had a major crisis the first time I realized I had an unobtainable. But now so many games have unobtainable achievements or server closures that it's simply too much. Everyone is chasing perfection in a totally imperfect system, and it just seems like a fool's errand at this point. I mean certainly still chase that 100% if it's truly enjoyable, but after taking a step back and looking at my gaming habits, I realized I was crippling my enjoyment by worrying about missable and unobtainable achievements, or only starting games that I was sure wouldn't have server closures or were known to be completable. I missed out on a few good games, or forced myself to play multiplayer when I really didn't want to just to beat a server closure. Ultimately I was happy to just not care. I mean anything above 95% is still an amazing accomplishment, and that's still possible.
djpatterson2011
Posted on 01 November 17 at 05:06
LuckyConquerer2 said:

Thank you, this actually illustrates my point quite well. Let me elaborate.

Those opposed to gay marriage believe it has a severe negative impact on them and society as a whole. They perceive it as an attack on their beliefs and values. They see it as psychologically damaging to their children. However, in my opinion, their negative perception of the preferences of others does not justify restricting the freedom of others.

Similarly, you perceive allowing others to delete achievements to have a negative impact on you and the gaming community as a whole. You perceive it as a mockery of a system that you value and that you think should be implemented a certain way. However, in my opinion, your negative perception of that action should not be justification for restricting others from taking that action.

Legohead 1977 said:
In fairness they did say 'similar', which if you ignored nearly all aspects other than your choice is your own, then they may have a point! laugh
Exactly, my intent was not to equate gay marriage with increased autonomy over one's gamertag. My intent was to focus purely on the similarity between the arguments against these two topics to illustrate why I disagree with those arguments. Basically, as you inferred, I prefer a scenario in which people get to make their own choices as long as it isn't harmful to others.
LuckyConquerer2
Posted on 01 November 17 at 11:50
^ Changing a score in a competitive system with leaderboards is a not acceptable. There is no point to leaderboards if you can pick and choose games.
CRISTIAMUZ
CRISTIAMUZ
Posted on 01 November 17 at 19:09
Hell yeah, took long enough.
Twitch.Tv/Zemidek
djpatterson2011
Posted on 02 November 17 at 03:14
LuckyConquerer2 said:
^ Changing a score in a competitive system with leaderboards is a not acceptable. There is no point to leaderboards if you can pick and choose games.
So you don't pick and choose which games you play?
LuckyConquerer2
Posted on 02 November 17 at 12:42
djpatterson2011 said:
LuckyConquerer2 said:
So you don't pick and choose which games you play?
There is a difference between picking games to play and picking/choosing which games are on your tag after you have scored in them, and you know it.
djpatterson2011
Posted on 03 November 17 at 07:15
You are comfortable with leaderboards being manipulated by gamers who only choose to play games that are easy to complete or games that have high TA ratios. But you aren't comfortable with leaderboards being manipulated by someone choosing to remove a game that they could have simply chosen not to play in the first place? Honestly, I don't understand the logic behind that, please explain.
LuckyConquerer2
Posted on 03 November 17 at 12:19
djpatterson2011 said:
You are comfortable with leaderboards being manipulated by gamers who only choose to play games that are easy to complete or games that have high TA ratios. But you aren't comfortable with leaderboards being manipulated by someone choosing to remove a game that they could have simply chosen not to play in the first place? Honestly, I don't understand the logic behind that, please explain.
If you have started it, it has to count. You have score. Deleting something you have progressed in is not the same as not playing something. With your logic, we could count all games for all gamers.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.